The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-25-2019, 12:15 AM
Majesty

Poor Queen. As royals get older they rely so much on these loyal and longstanding members of staff. Of course newer people can do the job but it's not the same.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

May Miss Wilkin rest in peace. I'm sure HM is incredibly saddened by the news, and I agree that it must be hard to lose a lot of long-serving staff - who have probably also become long-time friends - in her older age.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 05-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Sad news. The Queens long serving housekeeper, Annette Wilkin, has suddenly passed away. You guys might remember her appearing in the Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work documentary several years ago. She showed us how the royal housekeepers professionally unpack and pack guests luggage during their stay at Buckingham Palace.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-illness.html
start from 2:35
Old 10-03-2019, 09:34 PM

Phillipa de Pass

I'm curious if the Queen's Lady-in-Waiting, Philippa de Pass is titled, or just has the title of Lady-in-Waiting.

Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Smurfness View Post
I see that each of the Queen's ladies has a title - I suppose de Pass is a title too?

What are the eqivalents for a king?

Does Prince Phillip have men who serve him?
Old 11-17-2019, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcr View Post
I'm curious if the Queen's Lady-in-Waiting, Philippa de Pass is titled, or just has the title of Lady-in-Waiting.

Thanks!!!!
de Pass is her surname. Her husband was Lieutenant Commander Robert de Pass. Close friends of The Queen and Prince Philip.

Not all ladies in waiting are aristocracy nowdays.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
de Pass is her surname. Her husband was Lieutenant Commander Robert de Pass. Close friends of The Queen and Prince Philip.

Not all ladies in waiting are aristocracy nowdays.
She is from landed gentry family and is a descendant of Earls of Abergavenny. Her uncle was created Baron Gibson-Watt, her nephew is the Baron Wrottesley.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:59 PM
Serene Highness

With a new reign inevitablely approaching, aristocratic ladies in waiting will probably be even more uncommon. I mean ofcourse Camilla wants to be attended by women she knows personally in one way or another (just like QEII is) and not a group of women that has been selected for her by others... There is ofcourse titled friends of her too that maybe will attend her but probably even more non-titled...

If the system with Ladies in waiting will be kept at all... in Norway, Queen Sonja have abolished it. The only one still having a Lady in Waiting is Princess Astrid.... Though the danish and swedish Queen’s still have them.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
With a new reign inevitablely approaching, aristocratic ladies in waiting will probably be even more uncommon. I mean ofcourse Camilla wants to be attended by women she knows personally in one way or another (just like QEII is) and not a group of women that has been selected for her by others... There is ofcourse titled friends of her too that maybe will attend her but probably even more non-titled...

If the system with Ladies in waiting will be kept at all... in Norway, Queen Sonja have abolished it. The only one still having a Lady in Waiting is Princess Astrid.... Though the danish and swedish Queen’s still have them.
Queen Mxima also has ladies-in-waiting but fewer than Queen Beatrix because she is no head-of-state and therefore has less audiences, ceremonies, official visits. Because these ladies are not paid, they still come from the aristocracy (2x) and from patrician families (2x). Queen Mxima's ladies are NO staff, they are high up on the hierarchy as the Queen's companions. I believe also the British ladies-in-waiting are not paid, so it is already sorting itself somehat because one must be able to afford this service to the Crown.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Gentry

I've searched throughout the thread here, but couldn't find the answer. Do you know the name of the butler or footman who stands behind the Queen at state dinner?
https://www.hellomagazine.com/imagen...butlers--z.jpg
Old 12-28-2019, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The peerage and the gentry are a much more integral part of the British class system than the nobility is in the Scandinavian countries. I honestly don’t see ladies-in-waiting with an aristocratic background disappearing any time soon in the UK.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
I've searched throughout the thread here, but couldn't find the answer. Do you know the name of the butler or footman who stands behind the Queen at state dinner?
https://www.hellomagazine.com/imagen...butlers--z.jpg
I imagine it will be on of the Queen's Pages of the Backstairs, I'm not sure which one he is but I believe it usually on of those pages who is behind HM at State Banquets.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is a pretty interesting book that goes into details of the royal household, the positions and the hierarchy involved. Its called "Not in Front of the Corgis: Secrets of Life Behind the Royal Curtains" by Brian Hoey.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-29-2019, 08:55 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I imagine it will be on of the Queen's Pages of the Backstairs, I'm not sure which one he is but I believe it usually on of those pages who is behind HM at State Banquets.
Thank you! Based on your response, I determined he is Barry Mitford.