The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not a very attractive look for the BRF.

:previous: I think we all have to say "Tabloids" or "DM" and remember that any of the people involved in this reshuffle know better than to trash talk the BRF. It is the fastest way to become persona no grata in the upper eschelons of power and the social circles they live in themselves.

Logically speaking, if a Private Secretary is asking HM to choose between he and her son the answer is a no-brainer which is why I doubt the rumour. Having served HM for 14 years he knows whats what.

However, because of HM's longevity, I think some of her staff may be a little proprietary about access to her, etc. which is an absolute necessity if she is to lighten her load to PoW and enable her to spend more time with her husband.

BP ways are not CH ways and it is again, a no-brainer to rein in KP. The aforementioned clash of events speak for themselves. I also think that KP needs to act in concert with the rest of the BRF to ensure a continuity of standards.

It was a surprising announcement so I am not surprised there is discussion or rumour about why he left. As for how much of it is true, only a handful of people will ever really know.

The Royal Household, Courtiers, Advisers and Attendants

Who knows what's true but I have a feeling it could be. I could see there being a sort of infighting. There are a few ego's involved

I read the Times article in the actual print newspaper while I was out this morning. A couple of points I picked from it:

Firstly its not just a small article its on their front page, three other pages (some of which is more about 'Charles taking over') and mentioned in the opinion section.

Charles and Andrew basically teamed up and insisted Sir Christopher was told to go, the Queen ultimately agreed to this.

Basically, Charles felt Sir Christopher was getting in the way of him having a more "king-in-waiting" role, Charles apparently wants to appear at more events with the Queen such as the Maundy service so people are use to seeing him at such things.

It says Samantha Cohen did resign in solidarity with Sir Christopher but was persuaded by the Queen to stay until after the Commonwealth summit in London

It says Charles' staff were unhappy with Sir Christopher announcing Philip's retirement, the lack of consultation about it and the fact he seemed to go 'above his station' in their eyes. This was duly reported back to Charles.

Andrew and Charles may get on better than often reported and Andrew it seems saw this as an opportunity to get rid of someone who he blames for making him give up his Trade Envoy role and for denying him use of helicopters and jets "...as often as Andrew would like".

The Queen apparently gave into her sons' request for him to go because at 91 she would "rather have a quiet life".

Kensington Palace sources are said to have made it clear they liked Sir Christopher and "admired him as a public servant" who was well respected. These sources made it clear KP had nothing to do with his 'ousting'.

Apparently the Queen is said to dislike how friendly and close the younger royals at KP are with their staff.

The Lord Chamberlain told Sir Christopher his position was untenable. Earl Peel just happens to be close to Charles, who had recommended him for the job of Lord Chamberlain.

All eyes will be on the New Year's honours list to see if Sir Christopher gets the traditional retirement peerage.

Personally as much as I want to take this with a pinch of salt this is the Times not just a gossipy tabloid and I always had the impression that Sir Christopher would be with the Queen until the end of her reign. His most recent Honour talked about services to planing a transition into a new reign so I am personally surprised he walked away before that change took place. He is still relatively young and seemed very good at his job so this would certainly explain why he left his post.
To me it reflects poorly on Charles if he did play a role in this, Sir Christopher was the person who flew over a few years ago to meet the Australian PM purely to convince her to support Charles as the next Head of the Commonwealth so to pay him back in such a manner would be unfair. Sir Christopher seemed to be the one wanting to unite the households and in doing so Charles could easily have had a role like he wanted, at the Queen's side yet he seemed insistent on doing so while still keeping his own staff in the way he always has - i.e. he wants a bigger role at the Queen's side but won't change how he and his staff operate - a bit of "wanting his cake and eating it". IMO it reflects poorly on Charles and what his reign may bring.

Edit - this article is pretty much word for word the Times article (which is behind a pay wall) so everyone should be able to read this version http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...e/news-story/cac9b7a1e36862ee9fee733cced0bbdc

Last edited:
There's always "palace intrigue" going on behind the scenes. It's going on in the White House too.

The truth is that the royal family are going through a transition and, with that, palace staff go through their usual drama.

Thank you for that most interesting summing up of the Times article, tommy. It is indeed illuminating, and in my view does not show Charles in a very good light at all. To insist on the resignation of a man who has served your mother loyally and well because he seems to have got above himself (what are we living in, the 1850's?) is both petty and wrong, IMO. As for Andrew....!

It certainly shines a rather unsalubrious light on what goes on behind the scenes.

On the other hand, here is a different thought. Sir Christopher has been used to running things at BP. But with Philip's retirement, other royals will need to step in--perhaps Sir Christopher thought he would now run everything in all the households but Charles and his staff disagreed. And rather than having to work with/coordinate with CH and KP instead of running everything, Sir Christopher resigned.

Last edited:
Buckingham Palace plays down 'power struggle' claims - BBC News

The BBC are now carrying the story and IMO the most interesting thing is even they say "The BBC understands Sir Christopher - the Queen's most senior and trusted advisor - did not step down willingly."and "The BBC's royal correspondent Peter Hunt has spoken to several people, inside and outside the ancient institution, who have confirmed this decision was not taken willingly by Sir Christopher." The BBC has the strictest rules about sources and their accuracy so IMO this is pretty much confirmation he was sacked.

Buckingham Palace plays down 'power struggle' claims - BBC News

The BBC are now carrying the story and IMO the most interesting thing is even they say "The BBC understands Sir Christopher - the Queen's most senior and trusted advisor - did not step down willingly."and "The BBC's royal correspondent Peter Hunt has spoken to several people, inside and outside the ancient institution, who have confirmed this decision was not taken willingly by Sir Christopher." The BBC has the strictest rules about sources and their accuracy so IMO this is pretty much confirmation he was sacked.

I agree and such a shame it ended like this. I feel sorry for him.

CC 5/10

Balmoral Castle
5th October, 2017
The Rt Hon Sir Christopher Geidt had an audience of The Queen this morning and took leave upon relinquishing his appointment as Private Secretary to Her Majesty and Keeper of The Queen’s Archives, when Her Majesty invested him with the Insignia of a Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order.

The Queen has been graciously pleased to signify Her intention of conferring Peerages of the United Kingdom for Life upon the undermentioned.
Nominations for Crossbench Peerages:

• The Right Honourable Sir Ian Duncan Burnett – Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales
  • The Right Reverend and Right Honourable Richard Chartres, KCVO, DD – lately Bishop of London (1995 to 2017)
  • The Right Honourable Sir Christopher Geidt, GCVO, KCB, OBE – Private Secretary to Her Majesty The Queen
  • Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, QPM – lately Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis (2011 to 2017)
  • General Sir Nicholas Houghton, GCB, CBE, ADC, Gen – lately Chief of the Defence Staff (2013 to 2016)
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/life-peerages-12-october-2017

Baron Geidt, of Crobeg in the County of Ross and Cromarty is the gazetted name, style and title of the life barony conferred upon Sir Christopher Geidt.

Last edited:
Sir Christopher Geidt, Baron Geidt, of Crobeg in the County of Ross and Cromarty has been made A Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath (GCB) and A Companion of the Queen's Service Order (QSO)

In addition to his peerage he holds two knighthoods (GCB) (GCVO)

He is HM’s former private secretary.

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan are set to be advised by one of the Queen's own top aides. Samantha Cohen - The Queen;s Assistant Private Secretary is to move to KP to work for the new Duke & Duchess of Sussex, for 6 months at least.
Cohen was said to be leaving BP after Christopher Geidt was forced out of his role as the Queen's Private Secretary, it was reported Cohen handed in her notice in solidarity with Geidt. She was persuaded to stay on for the Commonwealth summit and is now said to be staying on for another 6 months with the Sussex's.
Meghan Markle gets Queen's special adviser to prepare for royal life | Daily Mail Online
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celeb...yal-training-queens-assistant-samantha-cohen/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/6...vate-secretary-meghan-markle-effective-royal/
Meghan Markle guided by Samantha Cohen, Queen’s special adviser

I find this interesting because Cohen was the Queen's Press Secretary before being promoted to Assistant Private Secretary, how will that sit with Jason Knauf? Will she oversee their press rather than him in time? It certainly means Harry and Meghan will have a strong, experienced advisor as they start out together on royal duties.
Ironically Geidt was forced out, its said, in part because he wanted greater integration between the Households. He was forced out but now his deputy who is said shared this vision, the Queen's own senior staffer, is moving in to advise the Sussex's.

Queen's PR chief to leave Palace in dramatic changing of the guard amid senior courtier reshuffle | Daily Mail Online

Daily Mail is reporting the Director of Royal Communications, Sally Osman, is leaving her post.

What ever the truth theres no denying in the last year or so the number of people leaving has been large; The Queen's Private Sec Lord Geidt, Samantha Cohen left as Asst Private Secretary but was convinced to move to work for Harry and Meghan, the Keeper of the Privy Purse left, the Director of the Royal Collection left, now the Director of Royal Communications is on her way out.

I also noticed the latest annual report stated that Camilla and Catherine's Private Secretaries have been added to the Lord Chamberlain's committee.

William, Catherine, Camilla, Charles and the Queen’s private secretaries are on the Lord Chamberlain’s committee.

Last edited:
Yes, but Camilla' and Catherine's were only recently added to it, William's was last year or year before.

Last edited:
Queen's PR chief to leave Palace in dramatic changing of the guard amid senior courtier reshuffle | Daily Mail Online

Daily Mail is reporting the Director of Royal Communications, Sally Osman, is leaving her post.

What ever the truth theres no denying in the last year or so the number of people leaving has been large; The Queen's Private Sec Lord Geidt, Samantha Cohen left as Asst Private Secretary but was convinced to move to work for Harry and Meghan, the Keeper of the Privy Purse left, the Director of the Royal Collection left, now the Director of Royal Communications is on her way out.

I also noticed the latest annual report stated that Camilla and Catherine's Private Secretaries have been added to the Lord Chamberlain's committee.

There are that are trying to pin this on the Sussex wedding, which just doesn’t make sense given how close Sally Osman is to Samantha Cohen and Christopher’s Geidt by all accounts. And yes, Tom Markle three in a surprise at the end, but I’m not sure what else went not according to plan. BP was never going to have as much involvement as they did the Cambridge wedding as it came from above to allow Meghan and Harry have the wedding they want. Everything else went well. Some announcement came much later compared to the Cambridge wedding, but there were obviously reasons for that.

One thing I found interesting was that TIME reported back when Christopher Geidt left that KP made it clear they had no issues with him, and it was Charles who didn’t like he wasn’t more involved and Andrew for his own reasons. And then Samantha Cohen quits on principle. Yet they were able to convince her to go work for Harry and Meghan to start their married life. Make no mistake that her role as interim Privately Secretary will be more than just the engagements she can plan for the Sussex. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s heavily involved in selecting the next Private Secretaries to the Duke and the Duchess and thus possibly shaping their private office for the next chapter.

Last edited:
Have to say it seems there is something of either a mass clearing out at BP or a mass exodus of staff leaving voluntarily. Either way it creates an image of problems at BP. Could it be Charles is finally in charge behind scenes more? Could it be, to be blunt that with a 92 year old in charge the senior staff know their days in their roles are numbered so are leaving now?

The Markle Debacle was huge, it was not managed and still isn't being managed very well. I genuinely think in such a modern age, the people running the PR at Buckingham Palace, Clarence or KP need to be up to date and ready to respond on all platforms. I do think there is an old guard that is moving on.

If its all about the Markle debacle how come Jason Knauf is still in post? Surely he should be first one out if its all to do with that. He's not old guard but still didn't manage it well IMO.

Yes, many of the Queen's personal helpers are of HM's vintage. It must have been a shock to both ladies. Hope Miss Morrison recovers well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom