The Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Duke & Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to the Royal Foundation they seem to have found a middle ground, it shares all of their names but they don't all turn up for meetings etc just those that meet their particular focus and they share board meetings etc.
In reality, the clock is ticking down for the Foundation as I suspect when Cambridge's become Wales' things will change.
They will continue to have some shared appearances etc as they are both sons/in-laws of Charles just as Anne Edward and Andrew appear together with HM sometimes as her children.

That's a good point. From the 'royal roles' this move was to be expected but as long as they share a Royal Foundation (do all of you think they will do so going forward?), they have both separate and shared entities. Hope all relevant staff members will continue to work closely together.

As far as the Foundation goes, I think they will for quite a ways into the future. With the Foundation itself having a chairman and a management board, each incentive (such as the Invictus Games) have their own separate chairpersons and boards that run things from day to day. Its a huge umbrella over a lot of things that the "fab four" are patrons of individually and as a team and make up the capstone of that particular pyramid.

They should split it. Harry and Meghan should take their initiatives with them and it’s a fresh start for all.

The only work of the royal foundation that is really a group project is Minds Together. Well and both brothers were working with conservation. The foundation might be a blanket umbrella but really they are separated anyways. It made sense when they were sharing the same household, for them to continue with the foundation as a foursome. But I think as the households grow apart, we will see the same with the foundation. When William and Kate are Prince and princess of Wales, they will have a very different path.

Things like Invictus are Harry's project anyways. The Foundation doesn't need to be sustained for the work to continue.

As far as the Cambridges' & Sussexes' shared responsibilities and individual projects with the Royal Foundation and their separate patronages, the working relationships and dedication to beneficial outcomes is all about addition, not subtraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
In order to pave the way for an eventual change in the royals involved in the foundation (for example if the Cambridges depart the project to focus on the Princes Trust in future), could the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex be simply renamed the Royal Foundation?

:previous: Now why didn't I think of that? It just seems so logical so to speak. :lol: ?

According to The Telegraph, Jason Knauf, Special Advisor to The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge is to begin reviewing the “charitable structures that underpin” the work of the two couples, in changes that may include the dismantling of their umbrella organisation currently called the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

Last edited:
The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, this morning received Sir Keith Mills (chairman).

Court Circular || 27 March 2019

I just noticed that the new bio on KP's twitter says, "The official account of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Royal Foundation." The bio on the Sussex Instagram account makes no mention of the Royal Foundation, so it appears the stories about the foundation being split up are true. Wonder when they will officially announce it?

It will be interesting to see how they go about restructuring everything.

Last edited:
I just noticed that the new bio on KP's twitter says, "The official account of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Royal Foundation." The bio on the Sussex Instagram account makes no mention of the Royal Foundation, so it appears the stories about the foundation being split up are true. Wonder when they will officially announce it?

It will be interesting to see how they go about restructuring everything.

RRs are saying it's still being decided. Given where the offices are, it makes sense to leave them there for now.

CC: 16 April 2019
Kensington Palace
"The Duke of Sussex this afternoon received a briefing from members of Chatham House, the Royal Institute of International Affairs.

His Royal Highness, Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, later attended a Roundtable Discussion on conservation and sustainability."

Apart from the CC reporting, this DoS's engagement was not reported on RF or KP twitter.

Dman, thank you for posting it.

Last edited:
CC: 16 April 2019
Kensington Palace
"The Duke of Sussex this afternoon received a briefing from members of Chatham House, the Royal Institute of International Affairs.

His Royal Highness, Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, later attended a Roundtable Discussion on conservation and sustainability."

Apart from the CC report, this DoS's engagement was not reported on RF or KP twitter.

I wouldn't expect any of Harry or Meghan's engagements to be on KP twitter anymore unless it was a Royal Foundation engagement, so not surprising about the Chatham House briefing. That seems to go more with his role with the Commonwealth.

Last edited:
Apart from the CC reporting, this DoS's engagement was not reported on RF or KP twitter.

These were engagements without any press. Why would it be mentioned on twitter?
All royals do hundreds of meetings, receptions, audiences, etc. every year that we only hear about when they appear in the Court Circular.
For example, Charles did a dozen engagements in Scotland last week. The only way we know they happened is because they were in the CC. Heck, even the Queen did a few engagements last week we never heard a peep about, apart from the CC.

These were engagements without any press. Why would it be mentioned on twitter?
All royals do hundreds of meetings, receptions, audiences, etc. every year that we only hear about when they appear in the Court Circular.
For example, Charles did a dozen engagements in Scotland last week. The only way we know they happened is because they were in the CC. Heck, even the Queen did a few engagements last week we never heard a peep about, apart from the CC.

There was press. I saw pictures of the engagement on some RRs twitter, and also other peoples Instagram accounts, and that's why I was surprised that other accounts were reporting it and showing pictures of the engagement and yet the official twitters and Instagram accounts like RF or KP were not.

Court Circular 30th April:
Kensington Palace

The Duchess of Cambridge, Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, this evening held a Reception at Kensington Palace for members of Her Royal Highness’s Early Years Steering Group.

Last edited:
Court Circular 28th May:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Sussex, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, this afternoon attended the Endeavour Fund Board Meeting at the headquarters of Rolls-Royce plc, 62 Buckingham Gate, London SW1.

The slow process of splitting the Royal Foundation appears to beginning, according to Royal Correspondent, Emily Andrews-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/91885...m-kate-charity/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I know it’s likely the royal couples will do some charitable things together and I know William is in the process of preparing to become The Prince of Wales, but this split just saddens me. It feels like a divorce and I’ve never been married. My heart is sad.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

Last edited:
The slow process of splitting the Royal Foundation appears to beginning, according to Royal Correspondent, Emily Andrews-
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/91885...m-kate-charity/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I know it’s likely the royal couples will do some charitable things together and I know William is in the process of preparing to become The Prince of Wales, but this split just saddens me. It feels like a divorce and I’ve never been married. My heart is sad.

I don’t think anyone should be surprised. Every speculation about their relationship aside, as we don’t know and there are so many conflicting reports, this structure is no longer sustainable. From running an organization structure standpoint, it just doesn’t make sense anymore as they have entirely separate offices now.

And really, what joint venture do they have together other than Heads Together, which at this point is more of a collective of projects related to mental health? Even under conservation, Harry and William work with different organizations.

It seems like a natural progression of things as they grow up and become more established in their own right.

Court Circular 28th May:
Kensington Palace

The Duke of Sussex, Joint Patron, the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, this afternoon attended the Endeavour Fund Board Meeting at the headquarters of Rolls-Royce plc, 62 Buckingham Gate, London SW1.

It has been a busy week for the Duke of Sussex.
:D

“The Sussexes want the flexibility of more commercial decisions."-Emily Andrews

What does this even mean? I cannot see the Sussexes being able to be "commercial"-they are still much too close to the throne.

Emily has no idea what the Sussexes want. That has been proven more than once with her so called exclusives. Even this one was mentioned weeks ago by other correspondents. It’s inevitable. Hopefully it happens in the coming weeks. It’s the final piece and then the split is complete and they can all move forward.

“The Sussexes want the flexibility of more commercial decisions."-Emily Andrews

What does this even mean? I cannot see the Sussexes being able to be "commercial"-they are still much too close to the throne.

Harry and Meghan aren’t going commercial. Ever since Harry married, Meghan, some of the royal reporters and correspondents have been trying to make it seem this couple is going all Hollywood. They’re not. The split was expected, but I still find it sad that the Foundation is splitting. I really liked them conducting their charitable ventures under the Foundation together.

:previous: I have to admit I was not in favour of their individual causes being lumped into this foundation. Maybe I see things differently than many supporters but I have never bought into this perfect synergy between two like-minded brothers. The differences have always been there to see if you cared to look beyond the superficial.

I definitely agree that they are two alpha males though and I believe Harry has gotten the rough end of the stick many times when it rightly belonged the William or shared by both of them. William has always shown his absolute determination to be the one who makes decisions that affect him. Harry came across just as determined not to be pushed around by anyone.

The trouble is the palace PR were as stuck in the past as the fans when it came to Diana's sons and preferred not to remember that Charles was their father. They treated them as essentially inseparable and then, having managed to convince them to combine their lives and managed to put a cherry on top when Harry married they called them the "Fab Four". Now if that wasn't cringe-making I don't know what is.

Yet they deliberately ignored the reality of "the boys" lives especially since they went to boarding school there was an age difference, then William at Eaton and then, William chose University and Harry chose the military. When Harry left the military to work full time, they had essentially been living apart for fifteen years or more. ! It was only ever public family engagements that they attended together.

The nauseating statement that this all feels like divorce is both ignorant and tasteless, but then I have never been a fan of Emily Andrews reporting.

Last edited:
When the idea of the Royal Foundation was implemented in 2009, it was a vehicle for William and Harry's charitable works under one umbrella (or roof) as both men were single and only having fledgling royal roles. As Diana's (and Charles') sons, they were pretty much WilliamandHarry to the world. William had his work in the military (SAR) and then as an air ambulance pilot while Harry pursued his career in the military.

Here we are 10 years later and so much has changed. William has married and has three beautiful children and preparing for his role as The Duke of Cornwall (and probably The Prince of Wales), working full time for the "Firm", doing investitures and being an ambassador of HM, The Queen overseas at times. Harry also has married and started his own family, has initiated some wonderful projects and also has gone to work full time for the "Firm". Harry and Meghan seems to be going to focus on the Commonwealth.

I never believed that the "fab four" was going to be an ongoing thing with these four people. They can do and accomplish so much more and cover far more bases by diverging their paths. Its no indication of a feud or a split between the brothers but its more covering more area and more ground and helping more people this way.

As William and Harry matured and came into their own, so are their roles and responsibilities. The Foundation was a great idea back in 2009 but isn't working so well for them now in 2019. Change was inevitable.

When the idea of the Royal Foundation was implemented in 2009, it was a vehicle for William and Harry's charitable works under one umbrella (or roof) as both men were single and only having fledgling royal roles. As Diana's (and Charles') sons, they were pretty much WilliamandHarry to the world. William had his work in the military (SAR) and then as an air ambulance pilot while Harry pursued his career in the military.

Here we are 10 years later and so much has changed. William has married and has three beautiful children and preparing for his role as The Duke of Cornwall (and probably The Prince of Wales), working full time for the "Firm", doing investitures and being an ambassador of HM, The Queen overseas at times. Harry also has married and started his own family, has initiated some wonderful projects and also has gone to work full time for the "Firm". Harry and Meghan seems to be going to focus on the Commonwealth.

I never believed that the "fab four" was going to be an ongoing thing with these four people. They can do and accomplish so much more and cover far more bases by diverging their paths. Its no indication of a feud or a split between the brothers but its more covering more area and more ground and helping more people this way.

As William and Harry matured and came into their own, so are their roles and responsibilities. The Foundation was a great idea back in 2009 but isn't working so well for them now in 2019. Change was inevitable.

I hear your point about diverging roles going forward, but what is upsetting is that this is clearly being driven by a relationship between the 4 that is not what it used to be. If it was always intended to split the Foundation, it would have been announced so at the time of Harry's wedding. Meghan would not have joined this Foundation. It is clear to me that the driver of the split of the Foundation at this stage is the relationship, and the diverging roles are just the "cover".

We'll probably never know the reality of a change in relationships between the Cambridges and the Sussexes. These four people are too professional in their public roles that they'll not air any dirty laundry, themselves, in public. Just as there's supposedly bad feelings between Charles and Andrew but they've never expressed them outright in public.

Even if William and Harry see things differently now than they did before, its not an unusual occurrence. Adults form relationships and move in different circles and have different ideas on how to do things and they don't seem to be as close as they were with siblings or friends from the earlier days. I think its natural and have seen it happen many times in my own life and relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom