The Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Duke & Duchess of Sussex

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The engagement tomorrow will not address the serious issues initially. The press will make it a fashion off: Kate's bespoke coats vs. Meghan's layered neutrals. I think both are suppose to give a speech and their communication skills will be contrasted and compared.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought they all did very well. My only nitpick was I wish Kate spoke up more. It was hard to hear her. Other than that? I enjoy their rapport with each other. They are all clearly passionate. Nice to see Meghan look so comfortable and Harry was beaming watching her. A lot of support on that stage between the the four of them and I think they will be a great team and will try to get a lot done.

i feel disappointed that kate didn't seem to get any airtime. i couldn't find a full video of the whole appearance, but none of the clips that surfaced have kate speaking up.

:previous: The video is up thread. Kate spoke quite a bit though it was hard to heard her a lot of the time. She gave a speech and answered many questions. I felt it was pretty even between them.

Notice the banner behind them of the stage...The Royal Foundation: Making A Difference Together. I think the name will be shortened to just The Royal Foundation. It sounds better than trying to include both couples titles in the name.

And really sweet how William lauded Catherine for coming up with the Heads Together campaign (after the brothers apparently came up with the idea to do something about mental health),

:previous: The video is up thread. Kate spoke quite a bit though it was hard to heard her a lot of the time. She gave a speech and answered many questions. I felt it was pretty even between them.

Yes, I too felt that the input was fairly even during the onstage conversation. Kate has a very soft speaking voice and she's not a natural pubic speaker. But she had some very important and significant things to say regarding mental health, addiction and helping families, with a focus on mothers and children. It's apparent that Harry, Kate and William have been doing so much work behind-the-scenes which culminated in Heads Together and putting all of their efforts under the same umbrella of the Royal Foundation, which was Kate's brainchild. William and the very articulate and competent host emphasized Kate's role. Kate seems to be someone who is very modest and softspoken, but also whip smart and savvy. A kind of 'walk softly and carry a big stick' type of person.

Kate also appears to be naturally a bit shy and reticent, but she also displays a sense of fun that sparkles from her eyes and her smile. I'll bet knowing Kate and having her as an intimate friend out of the public eye is a wonderful thing. There's obviously a lot of depth, caring and heartfelt kindness in Kate. Her personality and her speaking voice are just more understated than Meghan's. Plus the fact that Kate will one day be Queen and she's had to undergo a lot of training that probably made her be more cautious in public settings than she might normally be, since she's conscious of her role and not wanting to put a foot wrong.

Meghan with her acting background and a great deal of experience being in the public eye from an early age obviously exhibits a bit more ease in these settings in terms of public speaking. On the other hand, Meghan is new to royal protocol and to the unrelenting spotlight of being in the royal family, so Harry, William and Kate have surely helped to encourage her and to give her advice. She seems to fit right in. Being the same age and both marrying into royalty from more commonplace regular backgrounds, I think both Kate and Meghan are able to help each other, sharing notes and offering support to each other behind-the-scenes. They are probably bonding quite well together. Kate has seemed to be much more relaxed and happy and making less conservative style choices during her recent engagements. She seems to be enjoying her third pregnancy, and she looks gorgeous.

Harry and Meghan just naturally seem to have more outgoing and animated personalities than Kate and William. But they all seem to get along quite well. And I got the distinct impression that Kate and William have personalities that balance and suit each other, just as Meghan and Harry have personalities and interests that enhance each other. There is that thing though of making sure not to step on each other's toes. Respect for Kate/William's stature as future King and Queen is a delicate balance in a public setting. They all did a good job of acknowledging and crediting each other and making a public statement of how well they will be working together as a team. It did seem as though the host had intended for Kate to have the final word, when Meghan spontaneously had more to say in support of Kate's last comments, as the stage discussion ended.

Last edited:
At one point Meghan talked over Catherine which is not only rude in general but a definite royal no-no in terms of protocol.

Something she needs to learn as she goes along.

William interjected with/over Harry and vice versa...it's nice to see they act like normal people and are not ruled by protocol in those settings. Normal conversations we all have with friends etc.

LaRae

Both protocols and traditions are some of the main elements of royal family structure I think and they should not be seen unnecessary or ignored. Especially if the event is being listed as 'royal engagement'.

I adore both couples, and I think they're going to compliment one another well. I hope, with time, we'll see Kate speaking out more, as Meghan does (not necessarily on hot topic items, but more off the cuff-less rehearsed), and we'll see Meghan reign some of that outspoken exuberance that comes off a little brash, in. The couples are very different, but as Harry said, they're stuck with one another for the rest of their lives.

What we saw today is just a brief snapshot of how these four young people are quite similar in their goals and passions for using their status to help others. That's the important thing. The public matters of royal protocol, etc., will certainly work out in the long term. And Meghan has made a great start.

I also would like to point out that William has a wicked, understated sense of humor that we've seen rare flashes of. Both he and Kate are cognizant of their future roles which makes both of them seem a bit more reticent in public more-so than they probably are in private.

At one point Meghan talked over Catherine which is not only rude in general but a definite royal no-no in terms of protocol.

Ah nope, it wasn't like that. It was just that the time allotted for the stage conversation was coming to a close and the host seemed to have wanted to give Kate the final word before summing up. It was after Kate finished speaking that Meghan added a few comments in direct support of what Kate had said, which is not really a huge problem, IMO. It's just that the host had not directly addressed Meghan as we had seen the discussion flowing that way throughout. I don't see it as a problem, but it could be blown up into being one by outsiders and by the media. I'll bet you anything that behind-the-scenes they are all comfortable with each and have fun joking around with each other. It's just that this royalty business and how they appear and interact in public together can get blown out of proportion in our minds, when they likely are quite cool and supportive of each other out of public view. I'm sure that Harry does not want a wilting wallflower for a wife. And that Meghan is respected by William, Kate and all the royals for having a strong, confident personality.

In my earlier post, I simply pointed out what I observed because Meghan often looked at Kate as if deferring to her in a natural way and also in a sisterly fashion. She was not stepping on Kate's comments, just supporting what she had said. But the host was in the process of ending the conversation, as I said in order to keep within a time frame, so it seemed just a slight bit awkward, which it might not have seemed had there been more time to continue the conversation. As they got up and were walking off the stage, again Meghan looked to Kate deferentially before realizing she should go ahead and follow Harry off the stage. Apparently, they all sat down in the audience to view a film that wasn't included for Youtube viewers.

Unless there are more videos that I haven't seen.

I LOVED seeing them onstage together. I read somewhere else someone saying they didn't really want to see H&M doing events with W&K ...I don't get that. These brothers are close it would be odd if they and their wives didn't do things together. Such potential having the four of them working together...and some of their causes are just fabulous! They can potentially make a huge difference in people's lives.

I was watching the body language and they all seemed relaxed towards each other and it was charming to see them talking about the disagreements!

LaRae

Today they made generic comments - that is fine. They said nothing really and couldn't upset anyone, couldn't be seen as criticising government policies or societal attitudes - but making noises - which they are allowed to do.

Taking a stand on specific issues is political and that is a no-no.

Don't forget Meghan is NOT yet a royal. Even when she does become one she will be a minor royal (anyone not in the direct line is minor and has been for decades - relationship to the monarch is irrelevant to that use of that term. First time I saw it was in relation to Andrew dropping to third in line so if the having a child ahead of you makes you minor then Harry is minor - and Andrew is currently the son of the monarch, the brother of the heir and the uncle of a future King - exactly the same as Harry - but still a minor). Meghan will have more ability to speak out as Harry becomes less important while Kate will be even more restricted as she moves up the ladder of importance to becoming the Queen while Meghan moves away from the throne.

To get back on topic, I thoroughly enjoyed hearing each members input to this Patronage, and how they see things going in the future. I enjoy seeing them expand organically, rather than putting their names on everything. They want to make a difference in their world, and their children's world, and it's coming across loud and clear. Their different passions, and the way they support one another is so nice, and I very much look forward to seeing more forums as the years go by, and watching these four conquer their take on royalty.

They feel very natural and comfortable and educated on the topics at hand, and it's so nice to see them really working to better the world, and not just being superficial figure heads.

Today they made generic comments - that is fine. They said nothing really and couldn't upset anyone, couldn't be seen as criticising government policies or societal attitudes - but making noises - which they are allowed to do.

Taking a stand on specific issues is political and that is a no-no.

Don't forget Meghan is NOT yet a royal. Even when she does become one she will be a minor royal (anyone not in the direct line is minor and has been for decades - relationship to the monarch is irrelevant to that use of that term. First time I saw it was in relation to Andrew dropping to third in line so if the having a child ahead of you makes you minor then Harry is minor - and Andrew is currently the son of the monarch, the brother of the heir and the uncle of a future King - exactly the same as Harry - but still a minor). Meghan will have more ability to speak out as Harry becomes less important while Kate will be even more restricted as she moves up the ladder of importance to becoming the Queen while Meghan moves away from the throne.

Minor or not, the key is the profile. At least for the next few years, Meghan will have a high profile and media and the public will care what she says. Andrew says things sometimes that are just questionable at best, but media seem to care a lot less because he just doesn't generate that much interest. I do think Andrew had a lot of squandered opportunities when people did care about what he said. Meghan, on the other hand, is very eloquent and clearly intelligent and knowledgeable about the issue. If she keeps having off the bat comments like today, I think she'll be able to build a much longer lasting legacy in her time.

A lot of folks will have to get used to the younger generation of the royal family being more outspoken on serious issues.

What we saw on that stage today; are senior power couples of the British royal family. They are simply taking the Monarchy into the modern future. It’s their job to reshape monarchy, so it can remain relevant and in touch with the people.

Yes, Dman, I very much agree. And Meghan will steer her own course in doing that within the BRF and the Royal Foundation. She will do well IMO.

... It was just that the time allotted for the stage conversation was coming to a close and the host seemed to have wanted to give Kate the final word before summing up. It was after Kate finished speaking that Meghan added a few comments in direct support of what Kate had said, which is not really a huge problem, IMO. It's just that the host had not directly addressed Meghan as we had seen the discussion flowing that way throughout...

I doublechecked the video, and actually Kate jumped in to say something after they were all laughing about families having disagreements. So the host did not direct a question to Kate as I had thought. Kate simply spoke about the importance of bringing conflicting views and parties together and she referenced a speech that William recently gave. Kate is so softspoken that it's sometimes hard to hear her clearly.

When Kate finished speaking, the host was probably getting ready to wrap things up after trying to sum it up by saying "Well, you have Four Heads Together." That's when Meghan addressed the host with a few more words essentially voicing similar sentiments to what Kate had said about bringing diverse people with different views together, and then Meghan referred back to something Harry had said earlier about "changing mindsets." And that was it. The little bit of awkwardness I detected was probably due to the host noticing the time and wishing to sum things up, which she did very smoothly after Meghan's last words.

Last edited:
I just watched the entire video form the Royal Foundation interview with MM, Prince Harry and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. I don't want to get into detail because I know I would open a can of worms and I always appreciate how respectful this forum is, but I didn't like the fact that at the very end of the interview MM seemed to want to have the last word, repeating concepts already mentioned and without anybody asking her a question. She cut off the interviewer who was clearly finishing the interview. Also she mentioned differences as part "of this communication that we [gesticulating to refer to the 4 of them] have constantly". But earlier, she had said that she's been in the UK for only 3 months so she hasn't had a chance to do much except meeting with the "right people". It looks like she's in a hurry to be included but she should be more humble and cautious. I thought that what she said and wanting to have the last word was at the very least presumptuous given that she's not even an official patron, yet. Mmmh...I noticed a lot of underlining tensions. Hopefully, they will fade in time. :ermm:

If you want to watch I'm referring to this video
around minute 33.

Last edited:
I didn't see how Meghan was any different than Kate jumping in after Harry's joking. Or William talking over Harry. Or Harry interjecting about their wedding when she was speaking. They were all emphasizing the same thing. I'm also not sure how her talking in private and bouncing off ideas with the other three has to do with her work as a whole. She clearly is going around having meetings about her potential future patronages while networking and getting to know the movers and shakers of the UK community. She not official but she is very involved despite it.

The moderator wanted details and she was avoiding going into her focus when was asked because she not allowed to reveal that information yet. All these things can (and has) happen in the 3 months she has been in the UK. So IMO she has nothing to humble herself about. They were all doing the same thing. If she has to humble herself then I guess they do as well if we going by the same standards.

I also didn't see any tension. They all looked supportive and relaxed to me.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to sit and watch the video yet but I'd like to chime in on the "talking over" thing.

It seems that way this interview was conducted that it was mean to be more along the lines of "the four of us" chiming in when talking about something. It wasn't structured as to whose turn it was to speak. A more structured interview with each given a certain amount of time to speak and answer a question just wouldn't have had the same effect as "the four of them" talking as a whole and stating something when the occasion arose that added to the material.

None of the four were to be singled out and to me, that sounds like it was perfect for denoting all four of them were working together on this. As Dman would say, it alludes more to #TheFabFour as a team rather than four individuals. It seems they had quite a good time with it.

When did this happen? I did not see this.

I do not recall her talking over Kate.

Thanks Maia for clarifying. Meghan did not talk over anyone since Kate had finished her points.

I wish this whole narrative of Meghan being rude and abrasive would go away as it is just a roundabout way of calling her a classless dumb American.

Last edited:
People see what they want to see and the media doesn't make it any better. I was just skimming through "top stories" on one of my news feeds and there, glaring at me, are bold headlines that state that Meghan's body language signifies conflict between Meghan and Kate. Needless to say, I passed that one right by and wouldn't even dream of passing that report on anywhere. Some places are just feeding on dreaming up and seeing negativity where it simply doesn't exist.

All four of those royals on that stage are unique individuals with their own unique, individual talents. They came together as a group to talk about issues that are important to them. Its not a competition but a joint effort of all four to have a conversation about something they're all working on together. This is what matters. Not what they wear, not what their body language supposedly says or who said the word "the" most.

What is most important is to listen to the message and what they are saying rather than analyzing each move inside out and backwards and upside down.

I took away from the Forum yesterday that those four people are using their position and privilege for good and that should be applauded.

Meghan has demonstrated her enthusiasm and is ready to go to work with the Royal Foundation. This should be applauded.

I hope they have a campaign in which the four of them can collaborate on. We shall see what future holds.

it is true that meghan shows passion, but her voice as someone who is not yet a royal and has not been involved with the foundation should have been more subdued in my opinion. this event is about the royal foundation, and it was founded by william, kate and harry. i find it disrespectful to hoard the floor on your past work or your beliefs or disbeliefs which are unrelated to the foundation - in fact, women empowerment is nowhere to be seen in the projects the foundation works on (at least currently, i am sure meghan will change that, which is great and i look forward to seeing her work on the topic):

https://www.royalfoundation.com/our-work/

there are 4 people here who represent a higher institution - it would be great if in the future they strive for a more even tone of speech, without the need for any of them to show off or attract attention onto them. that is a big part of good performing teams.

nice touch to let kate do the speech, since she was the person who started the idea of the foundation, according to william and harry.

Last edited:
I would be willing to bet my last buffalo wing that Meghan was encouraged to speak up as as an equal part of the discussion as she will be as much a part of the Foundation as the original three. These are people that are forming a close relationship not only as a family but also as working partners in the Royal Foundation.

To them, I don't think it matters much if she's "royal" or not yet. In fact, I'd seriously doubt any of them see any of the others as "more" or "less" royal than they are. Meghan is eager, willing and able to jump right in to take her spot in the Royal Foundation and to me, that's a hell of a lot better than someone not only nervous and apprehensive about the upcoming wedding but also apprehensive about taking her place in the royal scheme of things as a working royal.

I'd like to think that William, Kate along with Harry are thanking their lucky stars that Meghan walked into Harry's life and are looking forward to being #TheFabFour together through the years as their work gets more and more involved with things.

Well, this "People" (aka myself) likes members of the Royal Family to be polite and respectful and be an example of hard work, wisdom and humility.

And Meghan has been exactly that.

I'm not pointing this at anyone on this forum, when I say, that to me there's a bit of an 'how dare she talk, smile, touch people so freely, she should learn and earn her place' attitude going on amongst some reports and commentators. IMHO, it's really troubling, because it gives the impression, that the wedding ring in Meghan's finger would only allow her to have a voice and respect.

It looks to me, that the RF have a lot of faith in and respect for Meghan, she's allowed to and is put to work very early on, because the RF clearly see her as an asset, and she's very eager to work, and actually enjoys this work. This Q&A wouldn't have happened, Meghan wouldn't have been such a 1/4 part of it, hadn't the RF thought she could handle it, and do good job. She didn't say or do anything out of turn, and her voice and opinion is and was needed and wanted. IMHO this is what the Royal Foundation will look like in the future, this is how Meghan will work in the future, she will have a voice, and she will use it. Harry and the RF knew it from the start, and they're fine and happy with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom