The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #481  
Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,873
One of my mother's friends who used to work with her now works (or now worked) for Meghan at the Royal Foundation, so we're all interested to see whether she'll be "handed over" to Catherine at the RF or if she'll work with Meghan at her new charitable foundation with Harry. It'll be interesting to see where the Sussex staff will go or if they'll not be able to keep their jobs.
__________________

__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
  #482  
Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,648
For the life of me I can’t understand why people want to perpetuate the notion that the separation of the Foundation is due to sibling discord and spousal bitchyness. My question is why was the joint Foundation ever created in the first place?! Charles and his siblings never had a joint Foundation.

People—- get a life!
__________________

  #483  
Old 06-20-2019, 05:38 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
For the life of me I can’t understand why people want to perpetuate the notion that the separation of the Foundation is due to sibling discord and spousal bitchyness.

There were even some efforts by the press to make a brand of the Cambridges and Sussexes as the "fab four"... Well, me thinks, this will be over now!
  #484  
Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,185
Quote:
For the life of me I can’t understand why people want to perpetuate the notion that the separation of the Foundation is due to sibling discord and spousal bitchyness

For the print and digital media it attracts readers and earns revenue.
  #485  
Old 06-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
For the life of me I can’t understand why people want to perpetuate the notion that the separation of the Foundation is due to sibling discord and spousal bitchyness. My question is why was the joint Foundation ever created in the first place?! Charles and his siblings never had a joint Foundation.

People—- get a life!
Because Kensington Palace and both couples didn’t handle the optics well. Also, if Harry had diverged from the Foundation after the wedding and he and Meghan had started to set up their own charitable foundation, I think the transition would’ve been smoother and without all the press hoopla. Instead, Meghan was made patron of the Royal Foundation after the wedding and it appeared the four of them would take the foundation to another level by working together under one umbrella.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #486  
Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The devil will be in the details. As with everything to do with Harry and Meghan, there’s the issue of funding and who’s footing the bill.

None of The Queen’s children have foundations aside from Charles. It really doesn’t make sense to create a new entity for the 6th in line to the throne.

It makes complete sense from the Cambridge perspective to have The Royal Foundation focusing solely on them but it’ll be interesting to see what shape the Sussexes new ‘Foundation’ takes on.
Well, Charles’s siblings have their own charitable foundations.

The Prince Andrew Charitable Trust

Quote:
The Prince Andrew Charitable Trust makes donations to charitable bodies where The Duke has a particular link or interest. This includes charities focused on supporting young people, sensory and healthcare issues, science, technology and engineering, and the participation of the disabled and wounded servicemen and women in sporting activities.
https://thedukeofyork.org/about-the-...ritable-trust/

The Princess Royal Trust for Carers
Quote:
The Princess Royal Trust for Carers was created on the initiative of Anne, Princess Royal in the UK in 1991.[1] At that time people caring at home for family members or friends with disabilities and chronic illnesses were scarcely recognised as requiring support.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pr...ust_for_Carers

The Wessex Youth Trust: The Charity of TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex

Quote:
The Wessex Youth Trust was set up in 1999 shortly before the wedding of HRH The Prince Edward and Miss Sophie Rhys-Jones. It was established to help, support and advance registered charities which provide opportunities specifically for children and young people.
https://wessexyouthtrust.org.uk
  #487  
Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
For the life of me I can’t understand why people want to perpetuate the notion that the separation of the Foundation is due to sibling discord and spousal bitchyness. My question is why was the joint Foundation ever created in the first place?! Charles and his siblings never had a joint Foundation.

People—- get a life!
The Foundation was really set up initially to handle the charitable endeavors of two princes that had other jobs. That’s why it made sense since neither did enough to have their own full time staff. Entirely different situation now. Just like Andrew and Edward shared a Private Secretary once upon a time, but eventually had to get their own staff.
  #488  
Old 06-20-2019, 07:59 PM
Madame Verseau's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Louisville, United States
Posts: 1,784
This was put up on Omid Scobie's Twitter


https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...ew-foundation/

Nice to see a positive story from this.
  #489  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:21 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Itv Video Report


Sky News Video Report
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #490  
Old 06-21-2019, 01:51 AM
Marchesina's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pescara, Italy
Posts: 883
Am I the only one who thinks this is only normal? William is going to have an entire different role than Harry in the coming years. He will fund himself and his charities, Harry will be under the wing of his father, economically speaking.
Charles never had a joint foundation with his siblings, I believe that a few years ago, when the Royal Foundation was established, it was because the two princes were unmarried and working part time in the family firm.
  #491  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:00 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchesina View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is only normal? William is going to have an entire different role than Harry in the coming years. He will fund himself and his charities, Harry will be under the wing of his father, economically speaking.
Charles never had a joint foundation with his siblings, I believe that a few years ago, when the Royal Foundation was established, it was because the two princes were unmarried and working part time in the family firm.
Well, it’s not the biggest deal in the world. The Cambridge’s and Sussex’s will be alright. They’re big people and they will go on to do great things with their foundations. It’s just obvious the plan was for all four to work under the Royal Foundation. Something broke down behind the scenes and it was later decided that it’s best to part ways from under the Royal Foundation umbrella.

If the whole thing was about William’s preparation for his future royal roles as Prince of Wales and King, the palace would’ve made that clear pretty early on. Meghan wouldn’t have become the Foundation’s patron and Harry would’ve split from the Foundation after the wedding.

It appears like everyone (Kensington Palace officials and both royal couples) were stuck between a rock and a hard place due to the sensitivity of the situation. Stuck between wanting to maintain privacy, but then not knowing how to diplomatically address the issues with the press. Although the press kinda picked up on the notion that all wasn’t well behind the palace walls.

So everything was handled badly. No doubt about that.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #492  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:07 AM
Marchesina's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pescara, Italy
Posts: 883
I can agree that maybe at first there was the idea of working as a team until William would become POW, but I think eventually they all came to realize their modus operandi and their goals were different. While the Cambridges are more institutionally bound, the Sussexes are not, and it reflects on their activity with charities. Hence the later split.
  #493  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:20 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,505
There has been quite a lot of comment about the “split” of the Foundation. Just some of my thoughts:

• At one level, I am sad to see the split. To me, it is clear that this was not the grand design, and it was intended that the 4 would work together in the medium term. If that was not the case, Meghan would not have joined the foundation, or the communication from KP at the time of the wedding would have been different.

• Be that as it may, if the family has come to the view that working closely together may not work for them, I am glad they have moved decidedly and swiftly to separate the two.

• As some posters have pointed out, I remain concerned about “rival” Foundations from the BRF, and if they may get in the way of each other’s fund raising. I hope they can work out a workable path between themselves.

• Causes as to why things within the family have so quickly come to such a point could be many. Personally, I do not see much point in speculating on these causes as none of us really know what is going on. However, that Meghan grew up without any siblings and a broader family around her, pursued a career that was about her individual performance and not a team effort (not a criticism, but just a statement of fact) would suggest she probably found it difficult to adjust to the environment. William, Harry and Catherine had clearly been able to work well beforehand.
  #494  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:54 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
There has been quite a lot of comment about the “split” of the Foundation. Just some of my thoughts:

• At one level, I am sad to see the split. To me, it is clear that this was not the grand design, and it was intended that the 4 would work together in the medium term. If that was not the case, Meghan would not have joined the foundation, or the communication from KP at the time of the wedding would have been different.

• Be that as it may, if the family has come to the view that working closely together may not work for them, I am glad they have moved decidedly and swiftly to separate the two.

• As some posters have pointed out, I remain concerned about “rival” Foundations from the BRF, and if they may get in the way of each other’s fund raising. I hope they can work out a workable path between themselves.

• Causes as to why things within the family have so quickly come to such a point could be many. Personally, I do not see much point in speculating on these causes as none of us really know what is going on. However, that Meghan grew up without any siblings and a broader family around her, pursued a career that was about her individual performance and not a team effort (not a criticism, but just a statement of fact) would suggest she probably found it difficult to adjust to the environment. William, Harry and Catherine had clearly been able to work well beforehand.
I wholeheartedly disagree with the last bullet. Meghan may not have had siblings around but that doesn't mean she didn't know how to get along with others. Quite the opposite she hasn't been told her whole life how she is going to be Queen (or a consort) and just be able to wait around for it; she had to go out and learn how to make things happen.

• Her parents made sure she know how privileged she was from a young age and how she could help others. (Volunteering by age 11-12 and continuing on to adulthood)

•She was part of a successful ensemble show in which no one seems to have a bad thing to say about her. In fact they talked about how she was the one to have an idea and work hard to see it through to fruition. (Making sure that the extra food on set didn’t go to waste…and finding a way to give it to others who needed it)

•She had the creative skills and knew what it was like to work with others to create a successful brand in the The Tig, from scratch.

•Partnering with UN to bring things like fresh water, other needs to women and people around the world.

None of that says the she doesn’t know how to work with others, just look at the reception she gets from her projects and patronages, we know that she meets with them in private, asks how she can get involved and makes a plan to either fundraise and/or support the cause. These are all qualities that would be helpful in creating/maintaining a foundation.
  #495  
Old 06-21-2019, 06:02 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,379
Or maybe Harry, widely perceived by the media and others as being a 'third wheel' (though he wasn't) when out and about with the Cambridges on some Royal Foundation engagements, decided he didn't want that any more of that for himself or for his wife. He and Meghan obviously want to move on. I don't see why the split should be laid at the door of one person.

As for not fitting in to a team effort situation, Meghan worked in fact for seven years as a member of a cast of a TV show. There were no complaints about her not fitting in with them. IMO there are few professions in which people never rely on others and acting certainly isn't one of them. Being in a cast on TV, the stage or in film in fact very much relies on cooperating and interacting with crew and your fellow performers.

Another view of why the split occurred.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...8251fcd2271abb
  #496  
Old 06-21-2019, 07:10 AM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,757
Well from a reporter’s perspective we have Richard Palmer expressing why he doesn’t believe the official statement from KP. And he implies he doesn’t think it was pushed by the Sussexes to split. This has been expressed by others in the media as well.

https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...204156928?s=21

Regardless who pushed for it, it has happened and now we have two separate foundations coming. They will just join the others of the royal family (as pointed upthread) who have set things up in their name. It will be what it is. Hopefully this split works out well for everyone
  #497  
Old 06-21-2019, 08:39 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Or maybe Harry, widely perceived by the media and others as being a 'third wheel' (though he wasn't) when out and about with the Cambridges on some Royal Foundation engagements, decided he didn't want that any more of that for himself or for his wife. He and Meghan obviously want to move on. I don't see why the split should be laid at the door of one person.

As for not fitting in to a team effort situation, Meghan worked in fact for seven years as a member of a cast of a TV show. There were no complaints about her not fitting in with them. IMO there are few professions in which people never rely on others and acting certainly isn't one of them. Being in a cast on TV, the stage or in film in fact very much relies on cooperating and interacting with crew and your fellow performers.

Another view of why the split occurred.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...8251fcd2271abb
Unfortunately, Meghan, has had to take many hits on the chin for how things have gone down. I think this was between the brothers and perhaps even staff.

I think Richard Palmer is right.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
  #498  
Old 06-21-2019, 09:27 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,433
I agree with Dman that the whole split has been very poorly handled, and that the way it has been handled points to some significant reason that it was decided that separate foundations made more sense. My best guess would be, based on the joking/not joking references made when the Cambridges and Meghan and Harry appeared together to promote the foundation, that there may have been a basic disagreement among the four parties in the future direction, at which point it would have become obvious that it would be necessary to separate.

I found Richard Palmer's take very interesting, and much less hyperbole laden than most of the speculation that's been floating around. Long term I think the split makes sense, but it was clearly not the original plan, and the optics are not the greatest.
  #499  
Old 06-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere, United States
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I agree with Dman that the whole split has been very poorly handled, and that the way it has been handled points to some significant reason that it was decided that separate foundations made more sense. My best guess would be, based on the joking/not joking references made when the Cambridges and Meghan and Harry appeared together to promote the foundation, that there may have been a basic disagreement among the four parties in the future direction, at which point it would have become obvious that it would be necessary to separate.

I found Richard Palmer's take very interesting, and much less hyperbole laden than most of the speculation that's been floating around. Long term I think the split makes sense, but it was clearly not the original plan, and the optics are not the greatest.


IA with this.

I don’t buy that the original plan was for this to happen now. Why bother having Meghan join the foundation and make it sound like the 4 of them was the plan for the future. There had to be some disagreement direction wise imo.

I do think that long term it makes sense to split given the different roles of the couples. But I don’t think a year ago, they’d planned on this happening now. Something changed.

And the optics don’t look good because it really doesn’t come across as something they’d always intended to have happen. Probably the tension rumors are, to some extent, correct.
  #500  
Old 06-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I agree with Dman that the whole split has been very poorly handled, and that the way it has been handled points to some significant reason that it was decided that separate foundations made more sense. My best guess would be, based on the joking/not joking references made when the Cambridges and Meghan and Harry appeared together to promote the foundation, that there may have been a basic disagreement among the four parties in the future direction, at which point it would have become obvious that it would be necessary to separate.

I found Richard Palmer's take very interesting, and much less hyperbole laden than most of the speculation that's been floating around. Long term I think the split makes sense, but it was clearly not the original plan, and the optics are not the greatest.
Yeah. This wasn’t the plan and the optics fell off the cliff.

I wish both couples well in their foundations, because the work they’re doing is very important and really are making a difference in people’s lives. Though the royal reporters and correspondents will have a good time pitting the foundations against one another and the Cambridge and Sussex bases will become even more divided.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020 JessRulz Current Events Archive 771 04-07-2020 10:20 PM
Duke and Duchess of Sussex, General News Part 1: May 2018 - December 2018 JessRulz Current Events Archive 1136 12-04-2018 05:00 PM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baptism british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family speech st edward swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×