The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 2: Sep 2022-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Green seems to be the most popular guess for the Kings RFO. A lovely pale green would be a nice continuation from the past few colours of the RFO's. However, part of me thinks it might be too soon for the new RFO's, I'm not sure how long it takes paint miniature portraits and create diamond frames but two months seems a bit quick. We shall see tomorrow!

I think a nice pale green colour could be a serious contender.

So once Charles distributes his orders to the female working royals, will Princess Alexandra be the only one with 3 orders?

Hopefully so and Princess Alexandra, The Honourable Lady Ogilvy was awarded the other 2
1951: Royal Family Order of King George VI
1952: Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II[

I think a nice pale green colour could be a serious contender.

That, orange and lavender are the only options left if the plan is to stick with the pastels, unless Queen Victoria's white is repeated. There would be some nice symbolism in using green, since concern the environment has been such an enormous part of the King's life work.

That, orange and lavender are the only options left if the plan is to stick with the pastels, unless Queen Victoria's white is repeated. There would be some nice symbolism in using green, since concern the environment has been such an enormous part of the King's life work.

I was also thinking the same about Green,time will tell us hopefully later this evening.

There would be some nice symbolism in using green, since concern the environment has been such an enormous part of the King's life work.

That was precisely why I had suggested green, for King Charles the Green!

I do hope that the new family order coordinates well with the previous ones. A busy mix of different styles and sizes would be awkward. And a bright color might limit the clothing choices of the ladies.

If Charles picks green for his RFO, I wish he would break the tradition of using pastel tone and use deeper shades like forest green or olive green.

If he goes for green he could go for "edinburgh green" - his father's colour.

No new RFO tonight, at least the POW isn't wearing one ...

I would imagine it would be after the coronation - if indeed Charles does create his own - this state visit was planned and organised when Elizabeth II was still host so in many ways it is quite fitting having her order as the "main one" tonight.

It is tradition for each British monarch to have their own RFO. So I imagine King Charles III will create his own RFO. Perhaps Charles III's RFO will be used during the next state visit.

I would imagine it would be after the coronation - if indeed Charles does create his own - this state visit was planned and organised when Elizabeth II was still host so in many ways it is quite fitting having her order as the "main one" tonight.
Indeed. As far as I know the late Queen´s family order hasn´t been seen before her coronation as well.

Indeed. As far as I know the late Queen´s family order hasn´t been seen before her coronation as well.

It was handed out to christmas in 1952 but i think you’re right that it was not worn publicly until the coronation

It was handed out to christmas in 1952 but i think you’re right that it was not worn publicly until the coronation
Perhaps King Charles follows that tradition? So the late Queen´s order was given out 10 months after her accession and her first official portraits had been used for it while her son is just two months on the throne and no formal official photos have been made so far. I guess an order like this is to be designed very carefully as it is destined to be used for many years to come.

Last edited:
Maybe the king will issue them with the New Year's Honours?

I think we are inclined to forget it is barely 3 months since Charles came to the throne and although there would have been an automatic list of things to be done, they cannot all happen at once. I noticed in other threads a level of expectancy for decisions and actions.

I am sure things will all trickle through in time,

So do we think key ladies in the BRF will have their RFO from KC III in time for the Coronation?

So do we think key ladies in the BRF will have their RFO from KC III in time for the Coronation?

I can't imagine a reason why they won't have them to wear at the Coronation. The design would have been ready prior to QE2's death so I think eight months should be long enough to produce them.

I can't imagine a reason why they won't have them to wear at the Coronation. The design would have been ready prior to QE2's death so I think eight months should be long enough to produce them.

I think it is correct and would be great to see the ladies with their RFOs. Query whether we will first see the Queen with her new RFO at the French and German state visits at the end of March?

I think it is correct and would be great to see the ladies with their RFOs. Query whether we will first see the Queen with her new RFO at the French and German state visits at the end of March?

I hope so, unless they want to save the appearance of the new RFO for an event in the UK?

I hope so, unless they want to save the appearance of the new RFO for an event in the UK?

Possibly.

Also wonder who the first recipients would include? Might it be Camilla, Catherine, Anne and Sophie only, or would the list include Birgitte and Alexandra as well?

Possibly.

Also wonder who the first recipients would include? Might it be Camilla, Catherine, Anne and Sophie only, or would the list include Birgitte and Alexandra as well?

Wonder if it will also be given to the Duchess of Kent, but we will probably never know as she is unlikely to attend an Event where it is worn.

Wonder if it will also be given to the Duchess of Kent, but we will probably never know as she is unlikely to attend an Event where it is worn.

I would be surprised if Katherine Kent would receive it, she is pretty much in retirement.

I would be surprised if she didn't receive it. If a baby can get it - e.g. Alexandra was about 5 months old when she was given George VI's coronation medal there is no reason why Katherine Kent can't get the RFO of Charles III. If being 'retired' or 'non-working' is a reason then he won't be able to give it to Charlotte until she becomes a working royal in probably about 20 years time ... I expect her to get it on 6th May, along with Lilibet, Catherine, Meghan, Camilla, Sophie, Anne, Birgitte and Alexandra. I don't think he will give it to his nieces but I do think he will continue to honour his mother's cousins so I see giving the RFO to Katherine as a way to honour the Duke of Kent.

Of course we will never know if she gets it as she doesn't attend any events anymore and there is no list published of recipients so we only know if someone has it if they are seen wearing it.

I hope the colour of the ribbon is chosen with HMQ's chartreuse yellow in mind. He's probably chosen green but pale lavender would look better with the yellow IMO, although it's quite a feminine colour. If it's green then I hope for a pale teal or pale olive.

I hope the colour of the ribbon is chosen with HMQ's chartreuse yellow in mind. He's probably chosen green but pale lavender would look better with the yellow IMO, although it's quite a feminine colour. If it's green then I hope for a pale teal or pale olive.

I hope it is a pale green colour. The colour will need to match not just with the pale yellow of the QE2 RFO, but not clash with the blue of the Garter sash.

I would be surprised if she didn't receive it. If a baby can get it - e.g. Alexandra was about 5 months old when she was given George VI's coronation medal there is no reason why Katherine Kent can't get the RFO of Charles III. If being 'retired' or 'non-working' is a reason then he won't be able to give it to Charlotte until she becomes a working royal in probably about 20 years time ... I expect her to get it on 6th May, along with Lilibet, Catherine, Meghan, Camilla, Sophie, Anne, Birgitte and Alexandra. I don't think he will give it to his nieces but I do think he will continue to honour his mother's cousins so I see giving the RFO to Katherine as a way to honour the Duke of Kent.

Of course we will never know if she gets it as she doesn't attend any events anymore and there is no list published of recipients so we only know if someone has it if they are seen wearing it.

Alexandra receiving the George VI coronation medal doesn't have to be a guide, given the vastly different times we live in from 1937.

I am not sure Charlottle or any of the children should be receiving the RFO at this stage, but I am sure Charles will have a clear view on the matter.

I hope it is a pale green colour. The colour will need to match not just with the pale yellow of the QE2 RFO, but not clash with the blue of the Garter sash.
If it's pale then I doubt any colour would clash with the Garter sash. I think your guess will prove correct though: pale green.

Back
Top Bottom