The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The RFO doesn’t get announced; we don’t know someone has it until they’re photographed wearing it.
So because we couldn’t see it last year in the photos from the car, they didn’t say anything? That sucks...

Old 10-24-2018, 01:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Its always been the same, never announced so we never truly know when it has been given just when it has been first photographed. Same for all the royal ladies same for Catherine.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I saw a close up from the Daily Mail. I looks exactly identical to the ivory version.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Orders and Tiara’s will be on display again on the 4th of December for the Royal Diplomatic Corps Reception at Buckingham Palace. It’s always good to see these regalias.

I knew the use of ivory was the issue and the problem was solved with a glass version. I’m confident that Meghan and future royal ladies will too receive glass family orders.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-24-2018, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

So another tiara event then...but I think this is the one where we never get to see the event just them coming and going.

LaRae
Old 10-24-2018, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Don't worry, there will be something

Of course, years of discussion about Meghan getting or not getting the RFO
Kate has really grown into her position, well deserved!
Old 10-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
So another tiara event then...but I think this is the one where we never get to see the event just them coming and going.

LaRae
That’s true, but I’m pointing out that the orders and jewels will be on display again. Yeah, all we get to see is the car arrivals and departures.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Hard to say when Meghan would get one...we don't know all the criteria the Queen uses to determine who gets a RFO when. We don't actually know when Kate got it..we just know the first time she wore it (last Dec).

LaRae
Old 10-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree that none of us know the criteria for the QEII family order. The Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Princess Alice of Althone, Princess Mary, The then Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent, and Princess Princess Alexandra received theirs when Elizabeth's reign began. Princess Anne received hers upon reaching adulthood. The difference seems to be in the time that the ladies receive the QEII Family Order Prior to the 1990's, it seems that the women who married into the BRF (Katherine, Brigitte, Diana) received it within months of marrying (Edward, Richard, Charles). However after Sophie married Edward in 1999, she didn't receive it until 2004. Camilla received hers in 2007 after marrying Charles in 2005.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:17 PM
Majesty

For the Order of the Garter , Princesses Anne and Alexandra have it. Princess Margaret never receive it .
Old 10-24-2018, 04:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I agree that none of us know the criteria for the QEII family order. The Queen Mother, Princess Margaret, Princess Alice of Althone, Princess Mary, The then Duchesses of Gloucester and Kent, and Princess Princess Alexandra received theirs when Elizabeth's reign began. Princess Anne received hers upon reaching adulthood. The difference seems to be in the time that the ladies receive the QEII Family Order Prior to the 1990's, it seems that the women who married into the BRF (Katherine, Brigitte, Diana) received it within months of marrying (Edward, Richard, Charles). However after Sophie married Edward in 1999, she didn't receive it until 2004. Camilla received hers in 2007 after marrying Charles in 2005.
I still think the criteria is being a full time working royal for two years. Sophie began in 2002, got hers in 2004 and Camilla started in 20005 and got hers in 2007. Also while I know MM is a reputable source, I'm just wondering if they have their facts right. I feel like if she did have it last year at the Diplomatic Reception, the RR's that work with the photographers taking pics of the arrivals would have said something. But maybe I'm doubting because that disrupts my theory.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I doubt that Princess Michael of Kent will ever have the RFO.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Those royals who don’t receive the Royal Victorian Order in the last years of The Queen’s reign, will likely be awarded the knighthood before the next Coronation. Just judging by the years previous recipients was awarded theirs.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-24-2018, 05:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
I still think the criteria is being a full time working royal for two years. Sophie began in 2002, got hers in 2004 and Camilla started in 20005 and got hers in 2007. Also while I know MM is a reputable source, I'm just wondering if they have their facts right. I feel like if she did have it last year at the Diplomatic Reception, the RR's that work with the photographers taking pics of the arrivals would have said something. But maybe I'm doubting because that disrupts my theory.

Interesting theory and likely being a "full time" royal has something to do with it, but honestly I believe that the delay has been caution on QEII's part after the divorces that occurred during her reign.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well making a glass RFO does not take THAT long so i guess various criterias were taken into consideration. I'm in too for "the full time royal". I would add some pretty sucessful foreign tours and something we have all seen : a Catherine more confident than ever, at ease in her role and position inside the BRF.
The adjustment to the Royal (public) life needs some nerves and strength. I suspect HM has a policy of "wait and see" : you have to earn your RFO !
Old 10-24-2018, 06:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Well making a glass RFO does not take THAT long so i guess various criterias were taken into consideration. I'm in too for "the full time royal". I would add some pretty sucessful foreign tours and something we have all seen : a Catherine more confident than ever, at ease in her role and position inside the BRF.
The adjustment to the Royal (public) life needs some nerves and strength. I suspect HM has a policy of "wait and see" : you have to earn your RFO !
I happen to think The Queen was slow on the family order ivory/glass idea. The Monarchy has been trying to adapt to the modern world, but it’s still behind in many areas; especially when it comes to orders.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-24-2018, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I happen to think The Queen was slow on the family order ivory/glass idea. The Monarchy has been trying to adapt to the modern world, but it’s still behind in many areas; especially when it comes to orders.
I agree. I'd say taking the decision to make a glass version of the order took a long time. Whether Catherine would have received the order any earlier had she been ok with an ivory order, I don't know...
Old 10-24-2018, 07:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I do believe that the RFO is at the Queen's discretion and its totally up to her if/when she gives to someone (if she gives one at all). Its basically just a bangle that's a honorific showing that the wearer is regarded by the Queen as part of her family and she likes the person. We'll never know just what her thinking is on these unless the Queen gives an interview and is asked to explain her process and we *know* it'll be a frozen day in Hell before that happens. The Queen doesn't give interviews. At all.

The other orders such as the Garter and the Royal Victorian Order are horses of a different color (and ribbons) and are awarded for totally different reasons than the RFO is and not awarded willy nilly because a person is part of the royal family. It involves much more than the Queen's will and pleasure.

All we can do when it comes to the RFO is wait, watch and see if/when they show up in a photograph. White tie events are few and far between so there isn't ample opportunity to play "Spot the Gong".
Old 10-24-2018, 09:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, way back in the early married Kate years in this thread, we beat this issue to death. And one of the valid comments from earlier was that Her Majesty does not hand out any order rapidly. Not with the first baby, for sure. Someone that wants the deets can go back and look but it took Sophie quite a while to get hers. Fergie never got one. I forget for sure but think not with Di. And I think Camilla was the fastest from altar to RF order but even then it took a while and maybe was a birthday gift?

And want everyone that told me over and over that ivory was not the issue to admit I was right!

I still really want some royal reporter to find out about the person that still paints these baubles. I want to read THAT story.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Gentry

Well, I have been one who has said the problem was generational and a grandchild or wife of a grandchild would not receive an order. I was wrong and Catherine looks perfect with it.

I am thrilled that she has the glass one that was made for her. I think it would have been natural for her to wear Diana's and the queen taking William's views into account is wonderful.

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order