The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #801  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:38 AM
padams2359's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 684
I think it will just seem strange if the Queen does pass and all of a sudden they all pop up with them on.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #802  
Old 01-04-2017, 03:54 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't think it's due to service, because it's obvious Catherine has served The Queen personally for nearly six years. It could be that there's no spare order to give, the use of ivory or The Queen just haven't thought about it.

It's odd that she don't have it yet though. Questions should be asked by the media as to why Catherine don't have the family order after all this time.

The issue should be fixed instead of being ignored or dismissed.
Obviously it is not an "issue" at all as far as HM is concerned, it is rather, in her gift. End of story.

But, do you honestly think journalists questioning HM's integrity, implying she is acting unfairly and demanding an explanation would get any answer at all from BP?
__________________

__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #803  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:21 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,216
Exactly - it is the Queen's personal gift and she hasn't seen fit to give that particular gift.

To argue otherwise is to show disrespect for HM.
Reply With Quote
  #804  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:28 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Exactly - it is the Queen's personal gift and she hasn't seen fit to give that particular gift.

To argue otherwise is to show disrespect for HM.
I completely agree with you, it is in the gift of HM, and it is for her to decide. Not sure if we can really try and develop an analytical model that determines when it is awarded.
Reply With Quote
  #805  
Old 01-04-2017, 04:29 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
As has already been stated, Prince Philip doesn't have a GCVO for 'services to the monarchy'. Now does anyone really suggest the Queen thinks he doesn't deserve it but Prince Edward or Sophie do?

That's the problem with the British system. Because there is no consistency, because there is no explanation, it allows people to pick an individual royal and say well "The Queen must think they don't deserve it"

Queen Victoria's cousin, Prince George, Duke of Cambridge had 10 knighthoods plus was a privy counsellor.

He had everything from the Garter to the Order of St John and everything in between.

He must one of the most 'deserving' British royals in recent memory.
Reply With Quote
  #806  
Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 11,202
Note also that the two adult born Princesses of the blood royal, Beatrice and Eugenie, have no RFO either. Maybe the argument can be used: these are no "fulltime royals" but that is nonsense. One is royal or one is not royal. The two Alices (Gloucester and Athlone) as well Marina of Kent have received the RFO from Queen Elizabeth II and they were not "fulltime" in action for the royal family either.
Reply With Quote
  #807  
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,765
When it comes to Beatrice and Eugenie and the RFO, I think its very possible that both of the girls do have one but there really hasn't been an occasion which we would have seen them wearing one. At least not that I recall. Have either of them ever attended a state banquet or an occasion where tiaras and orders are worn?
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #808  
Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
If you are going to argue that Bea and Eugenie have a RFO but have not been to a place where they would wear it, then it can also be argued that Kate has a RFO and chooses not to wear it because of William's ivory stance.
Reply With Quote
  #809  
Old 01-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Beatrice and Eugenie don't have the family order because their not official working royals. They don't attend State events where the order would be worn either.

If ivory is the issue, then it's easy to have a new one made without it. No one would know the difference. The big issue is why leave her bare of the family order when she's attending events where it's required to be worn? It's disappointing to see her attending these events and not have it on. All her royal peers have theirs.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #810  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Beatrice and Eugenie don't have the family order because their not official working royals. They don't attend State events where the order would be worn either.
Are we absolutely positively sure that the girls don't have one? As you, yourself, have stated, "The family order isn't a knighthood, but a family Memento. Just pointing out the difference."

I do agree that it is very possible that one of the Queen's requisites for the recipient that marries into the family show willingness to be an actual part of the working "Firm" and have a stable marriage but with being a "memento" and a family type of thing, its very possible also that HM wanted her granddaughters to have one. We'll probably never know unless Bea and Eugenie do attend a formal event in the future.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #811  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Are we absolutely positively sure that the girls don't have one? As you, yourself, have stated, "The family order isn't a knighthood, but a family Memento. Just pointing out the difference."

I do agree that it is very possible that one of the Queen's requisites for the recipient that marries into the family show willingness to be an actual part of the working "Firm" and have a stable marriage but with being a "memento" and a family type of thing, its very possible also that HM wanted her granddaughters to have one. We'll probably never know unless Bea and Eugenie do attend a formal event in the future.
I don't know. It would be a waste for them to have it, but never able to attend events where it's required to be worn. Also, how fair would it be for them to have it and wear it, but Catherine (who's an actual working senior royal) can't wear hers.

It's just crazy to leave Catherine bare of the family order after all this time and given the events she attends. What's also crazy is that some don't really think it's important.

What would people say if Sophie and Camilla didn't have it? Or even the other European royals like; Mary or Marie. I think some questions would be asked and eyebrows raised.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #812  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
What would people say if Sophie and Camilla didn't have it? Or even the other European royals like; Mary or Marie. I think some questions would be asked and eyebrows raised.
I would imagine that those in "polite society" would say absolutely nothing. Those that would say something, don't matter.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #813  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:38 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
If no one would know the difference between an ivory and a non ivory RFO, the palace would still have to issue a statement that Catherine's was porcelain or it defeats the purpose of a non ivory RFO. Then the second question the press will ask is how much did it cost? The cost today has to be way more than what it cost in 1952 when the ivory one were made. Then if ivory is such a big deal that thousands were spent to make Kate a non ivory one why are the other royal women still wearing a ivory ones. It still makes Kate look like some sort of diva.
Reply With Quote
  #814  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:53 AM
duke of poliganc's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: cairo, Egypt
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Camilla didn't have it? Or even the other European royals like; Mary or Marie. I think some questions would be asked and eyebrows raised.
every one of those has at least a from 4 to 6 or even 8 events every year to wear the order kate in her 6 years marriage had only 4 events .
Reply With Quote
  #815  
Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If no one would know the difference between an ivory and a non ivory RFO, the palace would still have to issue a statement that Catherine's was porcelain or it defeats the purpose of a non ivory RFO. Then the second question the press will ask is how much did it cost? The cost today has to be way more than what it cost in 1952 when the ivory one were made. Then if ivory is such a big deal that thousands were spent to make Kate a non ivory one why are the other royal women still wearing a ivory ones. It still makes Kate look like some sort of diva.
I'm not sure cost would be a worry. Especially since the only part of the order that would be replaced would be the base of the portrait. The rest of the setting would be exactly the same. No one would really make noise about it, other than reporting that she now have the order.

Also, the palace shouldn't worry about any asked questions for Catherine receiving the order, when it's her place to have it. She's the senior royal and who's attending these State events. The problem is that she shouldn't be without the order after all this time in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
every one of those has at least a from 4 to 6 or even 8 events every year to wear the order kate in her 6 years marriage had only 4 events .
It doesn't matter. Catherine has been attending these events as a senior member of the royal family. She should have the order already.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #816  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 AM
duke of poliganc's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: cairo, Egypt
Posts: 633
you do now that she attend only one event every year and just started 3 years ago the only year she attended 2 event a year was because off prince william connection with the chinese state visit .
Reply With Quote
  #817  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,765
Now I have a question. Is it actually a requirement for those attending such events to wear the RFO or whatever other orders that they've received or is it an opportunity?

Just wondering.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #818  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now I have a question. Is it actually a requirement for those attending such events to wear the RFO or whatever other orders that they've received or is it an opportunity?

Just wondering.
I think it's a requirement, but one can opt out of wearing it on occasion. The thing is Catherine would likely wear hers if she had it or William and The Queen would think a new one should be made for her, especially when she's attending the events where it's worn. No since of having it and not wear it.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #819  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:44 AM
loonytick's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 755
I really doubt we who aren't in that family have anything close to an accurate understanding of what it does or doesn't really mean to them these days, and therefore what to interpret from Kate not having one yet.

For all we know, it could just be that the Queen thinks wearing two (as she does) is not the most comfortable thing given all the other accoutrements that queens wear to state occasions, that three is really the absolute most anyone should be saddled with, and she's decided to spare Kate the potential of ending up with four if she outlives William.
Reply With Quote
  #820  
Old 01-04-2017, 11:47 AM
duke of poliganc's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: cairo, Egypt
Posts: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Now I have a question. Is it actually a requirement for those attending such events to wear the RFO or whatever other orders that they've received or is it an opportunity?

Just wondering.
it's a requirement if you had it if you don't then no it's not princess michael had been attending banquets for years but she don't ware one cause she don't have one .

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
I really doubt we who aren't in that family have anything close to an accurate understanding of what it does or doesn't really mean to them these days, and therefore what to interpret from Kate not having one yet.

For all we know, it could just be that the Queen thinks wearing two (as she does) is not the most comfortable thing given all the other accoutrements that queens wear to state occasions, that three is really the absolute most anyone should be saddled with, and she's decided to spare Kate the potential of ending up with four if she outlives William.
if you think thats uncomfortable you should see the ones queen margrethe ii of denmark wear
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian britain british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house colorblindness crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii family life family tree genetics gradenigo harry and meghan hello! highgrove history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs japan japanese imperial family japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers meghan markle monarchist movements monarchists monarchy names nara period plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida thai royal family unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×