The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #661  
Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
I'm in the camp who thinks it's an ivory issue. No matter what, it will make for bad headlines.

The other thing is, there is no pattern to who gets what orders and when.

Only the Queen knows the reasons why Sophie has the order of St John and Camilla doesn't and the same goes for everyone else.

From the Duke of Edinburgh on down to Prince Michael of Kent. Philip has an order that Charles doesn't have and Charles has an order Philip doesn't have. William was made a knight of the Thistle but his uncles didn't receive it etc.

You'll give yourself a headache trying to find any sort of hidden meaning in any of it.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #662  
Old 05-15-2016, 08:58 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mademoisellekate View Post
I just dont see why she should receive RFO when she is not even full time working royal? If she is not fully committed to royal duties, why should she be awarded - just because she gave birth to the heir and spare?

In my opinion both Sofie and Camilla had to "earn it" - both did much more royal duties in their first years of marriage than Catherine - so Catherine should too.

I think Catherine will have her RFO when is will be full time working royal (most likely) or when she starts doing more engagements.

I don´t see how or by what actions Camilla or Sophie did more to deserve the RFO than Catherine! How do you define "more"? The one who performs 102 engagements deserves one, the one who did only 100 doesn´t ? The Dss o Cambridge for instance had 2 pregnancies in a relatively short time gap. Still she did several successful well received overseas tours. I don´t know how you measure the benefit of the work of C and S to the country in comparision to Catherine´s...?!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #663  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I'm in the camp who thinks it's an ivory issue. No matter what, it will make for bad headlines.

So be it, so what?! Bad headlines they get anyway and are a part of today´s realities every royal family (at least european ones) has to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #664  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
William and Harry aren't full time royals and Kate's engagement numbers are similar in the non pregnancy years. They have 3 Knighthoods between the 2 brothers.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #665  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
So be it, so what?! Bad headlines they get anyway and are a part of today´s realities every royal family (at least european ones) has to deal with.
As others have pointed out, it's one of William's most high profile activities as a royal. He has spoken out many times about ivory. I just think it would be giving the tabloids a freebie to wear it.
Reply With Quote
  #666  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Marty91charmed's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Verona and Venice, Italy
Posts: 6,066
I think this discussion has only been running in circles. As the reasons for RFO are undisclosed to the public, it is pointless to claim over and over again that Kate hasn't had the order yet because of the ivory. The royal watchers don't even know if maybe she has already received.

I have already stated that, IMO, ivory is not the real motive, but my opinion is just that, an opinion as any others, since only her majesty is the one bestowing the order. I think it's useless to talk about this again. When/If Kate will appear with the order pin it up, then everybody will be talking about how wonderful is it that she has finally worn it and the whole matter will be forgotton.
__________________
"Yet, walking free upon her own estate
Still,in her solitude, she is the Queen".
Reply With Quote
  #667  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:17 AM
mademoisellekate's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: *, Czech Republic
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I don´t see how or by what actions Camilla or Sophie did more to deserve the RFO than Catherine! How do you define "more"? The one who performs 102 engagements deserves one, the one who did only 100 doesn´t ? The Dss o Cambridge for instance had 2 pregnancies in a relatively short time gap. Still she did several successful well received overseas tours. I don´t know how you measure the benefit of the work of C and S to the country in comparision to Catherine´s...?!
Camilla and Sophie are both full time working royals, so they do more (about 200 per year) royal duties for the Firm.

Catherine is not full time royal so she does significantly less work for the Firm. When her kids will be older she may become full time royal and then receive her RFO.

All of them have great overseas tours. Catherine's ones just got more publicity.
Reply With Quote
  #668  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:20 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,153
I don't think people are claiming she wasn't given the order because of the ivory. It's more not wearing the order because of the ivory. Since the order is not announced as given and the only way to know if she has it if it's worn, we aren't going to know. She could not have it or have it and chooses to not wear it.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #669  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by mademoisellekate View Post
Camilla and Sophie are both full time working royals, so they do more (about 200 per year) royal duties for the Firm.

Catherine is not full time royal so she does significantly less work for the Firm. When her kids will be older she may become full time royal and then receive her RFO.

All of them have great overseas tours. Catherine's ones just got more publicity.

I know all that and don´t "scream" at me by bolding your lines!!!
Still I don´t know how you measure up royal engagements. Doing more only by number is no argument in my opinion.
Publicity is one, if not THE, important factor to promote Britain´s and the Commonwealth´s industry, its way of living and values!
If you don´t get any attention, well....
Reply With Quote
  #670  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:41 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 8,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
I don't think people are claiming she wasn't given the order because of the ivory. It's more not wearing the order because of the ivory. Since the order is not announced as given and the only way to know if she has it if it's worn, we aren't going to know. She could not have it or have it and chooses to not wear it.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
That's what I was trying to say in my own convoluted way
Reply With Quote
  #671  
Old 05-15-2016, 09:46 AM
mademoisellekate's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: *, Czech Republic
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
I know all that and don´t "scream" at me by bolding your lines!!!
Still I don´t know how you measure up royal engagements. Doing more only by number is no argument in my opinion.
If I would scream at you, I would use capital letters.

I think I have made my case clear so there is no need for me to repeat myself.

IMO the numbers of engagement performed by royal is objective way how you measure his/her contribution to the firm - not likeability or whatever of royal. Just because trash magazines write about you doesnt mean you deserve RFO.
Reply With Quote
  #672  
Old 05-15-2016, 10:04 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Guys, please let's not get into a frenzy about this.

I don't think getting the Royal family order is due down the amount of engagements one has done. Sophie wasn't doing that much engagements when she got the DJStJ order. Also, Camilla has just started her Royal career when she got it. The same can be said about Diana and others.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #673  
Old 05-15-2016, 10:08 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Yes it does! Wearing an used one means no "new" ivory had to be used. It is there anyway and putting them in store wouldn´t help, makes no sense.

The King of the Netherlands still uses the hermine coat at his investiture although nobody would kill a mink these days to create a royal mantle.

Yes but the King of the Netherlands hasn't made the fur trade one of his most high profile issues, nor has he stated that he thinks antique furs ought to be destroyed/stored away and not used.

William however? Has stated that about ivory.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #674  
Old 05-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
I think if ivory is the issue, a new setting can be created. I'm sure Spinks or G. Collins & Sons would be happy to do it. Just leaving her bare of a family order over the issue would be beyond silly, IMO.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #675  
Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think if ivory is the issue, a new setting can be created. I'm sure Spinks or G. Collins & Sons would be happy to do it.

Of course they can. But again, that then creates stories about the ivory the other women wear and the opportunity to question what the royal family intend to do with the ivory work they own, given William (and Charles) and their conservation work and calls to end the demand for illegal ivory by making sure it isn't seen as valuable- not using it or displaying it.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #676  
Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Of course they can. But again, that then creates stories about the ivory the other women wear and the opportunity to question what the royal family intend to do with the ivory work they own, given William (and Charles) and their conservation work and calls to end the demand for illegal ivory by making sure it isn't seen as valuable- not using it or displaying it.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Charles also joins William on the ivory trade, but Camilla still wear her family order that's made with ivory. I still say if ivory presents a problem, why not have all the Royal ladies orders reset without ivory?

I just think it's not fair to leave Catherine bare of the family order over the use of ivory, when there's a simple and obvious solution to the problem. If that's the actual problem.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #677  
Old 05-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
So lets all agree to disagree and wait to see what happens. Maybe Catherine hasn't been seen with RFO just so she and the Queen can sit back and read the hilarious comments in this discussion ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #678  
Old 05-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,417
The facts is that the Queen has only given the Royal Family Order swiftly (within the first year or two of married life) to Charles's wives, and that is because he is the Prince of Wales and the heir to the throne.

Yes, the ivory might be an issue as to why Kate hasn't been given the RFO as far as is known, but other reasons why she hasn't received it so far could be just as valid. First, that she has not been a full time Royal so far, (and Sophie was at the time she received it) and also William is second in line and not the direct heir.

Instead of leaping at the suggestion that the Ivory surrounding the Order is the problem, how about everyone waiting till the end of the year and seeing whether she will wear it at any appropriate occasion before then?
Reply With Quote
  #679  
Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
If the Princes of the House of Nassau have the of the Golden Lion of nasau why does the sons of Prince Margreit not have it?
The order of the lion of Nassau is unique in that it has two distinct branches, in Lux and the Netherlands. The head of each branch, Henri and WA, are grand masters. They can appoint honorary order members, with the approval of both masters but it isn't done often. Mandela received it.

In the case of non-honorary, it is awarded to the sons, and since 1984 daughters of the grand masters receive the order at 18. Alexandra of Luxembourg is the first daughter to receive it. Margreit's sons were not the sons of a Grand master, so were not eligible to receive the order unless an honorary one. The same goes for Bea's grandchildren. the triple A's will get it at 18, their cousins will not.
Reply With Quote
  #680  
Old 05-15-2016, 11:30 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The facts is that the Queen has only given the Royal Family Order swiftly (within the first year or two of married life) to Charles's wives, and that is because he is the Prince of Wales and the heir to the throne.

Yes, the ivory might be an issue as to why Kate hasn't been given the RFO as far as is known, but other reasons why she hasn't received it so far could be just as valid. First, that she has not been a full time Royal so far, (and Sophie was at the time she received it) and also William is second in line and not the direct heir.

Instead of leaping at the suggestion that the Ivory surrounding the Order is the problem, how about everyone waiting till the end of the year and seeing whether she will wear it at any appropriate occasion before then?
Although William is second in line to the throne, that didn't stop The Queen from giving William two knighthoods. Also, the second in line and his wife now attends State events where the orders are required. All of this tells me that Catherine should at be given the RFO.

I agree that we should just wait and see. There are State events coming up in the fall and winter where the order will be worn.

I just think the British royals shouldn't be so hard on giving these orders. I don't think this was the case back in George V and past royals days.
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
orders and decorations, protocol, royal family order


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asian birth britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family tree fashion and style gemstones genetics george vi harry and meghan henry viii highgrove history hypothetical monarchs japan japanese imperial family japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers medical meghan markle monarchy mongolia names plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen victoria st edward sussex suthida thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:24 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×