The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen any. What an absolutely interesting fabulously unique thing about Monarchy. I appreciate the link. I clicked the link and that was the first I ever saw or ever knew about the Royal Family Orders. What a truly special and precious way they honor their family. By wearing them, we all get a chance to notice and be respectful. I don't have a mother, ok, and do not have any maternal influence, so the way these Royals really honor their mother influences is so foreign to me, it is quite fascinating. It's nice to see.

Last edited:
Why Sarah Ferguson has received the Order of the Royal Family of Queen Elizabeth II?

I've been watching old photos of Sarah Ferguson and I noticed that she did not receive the Order of the Royal Family of Queen Elizabeth II. What was the reason?

I've been watching old photos of Sarah Ferguson and I noticed that she did not receive the Order of the Royal Family of Queen Elizabeth II. What was the reason?

It's completely at the discretion/choice of the Queen. So only she knows for sure. Neither Di not Fergie rcd. the Order. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense to me. JMO

Diana received the Royal Family Order, AdmirerUS.

It was never made public as to why Sarah never received the award but I imagine it's very telling of the relationship she had with the Queen. Sophie received it 5 years after marriage and was seen wearing it at Frederik and Mary's wedding in 2004 and Camilla received it sometime in 2007. The date is never made public and so we only know if the women has received when they start to wear it.

When they received there is no announcement ? Why not ? I think is very important.

The Queen thinks it's very private. She rules. Get it? She actually RULES it. :ROFLMAO:[/QUOTE

I think i get it :ermm: She rules i get it ;)

I agree. This it sounds very reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they received there is no announcement ? Why not ? I think is very important.

The Queen thinks it's very private. She rules. Get it? She actually RULES it. :ROFLMAO:

I think some of you may also like to note that Sarah, Duchess of York did not get a family tiaria. H. M did give Diana as Princess of Wales this award.

It was never made public as to why Sarah never received the award but I imagine it's very telling of the relationship she had with the Queen.

The Queen and Sarah have had and have a very close relationship, and as Sarah said in 2007 and in a interview in 2014 which I can not find now, they still see each other privately.

Duchess of York: Diana, the Queen & I - Sarah Ferguson
Take the 1996 divorce deal she struck with her formidable former mother-in-law, Queen Elizabeth, whom “I still see, love, and admire. “The queen and I always got on well, still do; I uphold everything Her Majesty represents, has given up her life for,” without, she believes, regrets. “It’s her duty. For her country, she’s selfless to the grave.” As for the queen’s mothering skills, she rallies an immediate, ringing defense: “I believe Her Majesty’s done the best job she can. For me, she’s been extraordinary.”

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGk8WJdYAqMWZrxo5SRvH-fssDBaw
And I think one of the greatest people I've learnt lessons from is the Queen. The Queen is the most extraordinary person I've ever met in my life. And she is full of forgiveness and I think when I got divorced I chose friendship with the Queen and I'd like to say that she has remained steadfast to that."

Sarah Ferguson: The Real Story
As always, the duchess has nothing but glowing things to say about her former mother-in-law. The queen, Ferguson says, "is the most wonderful, forgiving, nonjudgmental person I know."

Part of the reason Sarah may not have received the Order is that she just wasn't around long enough. As Molly noted, Sophie received hers after she and Edward had already been married for five years. From marriage to separation, Andrew and Sarah were only together for six years (and obviously the separation didn't exactly come out of nowhere). I don't think it has anything to do with how close the Queen and Sarah were personally; Sophie is quite close to the Queen, and it was still 5 years before she received the Order.

The DM is claiming that the Duchess of Cambridge will be receiving the Royal Family Order this fall. Wouldn't be surprising being the Duchess has provided the heir and a spare. She will be the mother of a future king as well.

Princess Diana was wearing her Royal Family Order by 1983, by then William was born. I know that the birth of a child isn't reason enough for the Queen to give the Royal Family Order. Princess Diana had been doing quite a bit of charity work and public appearances as well.

As for Sarah, did she do a lot of charity work/work for the Firm while married to Andrew? Of course, Sarah is going to gush about the Queen. It is in her best interest to give the impression of a good relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duchess of York was in a very different league to The Princess of Wales in so many ways. Even when Sarah was the favourite in the papers here, no one forgot who was in line to be the next queen. H.M has never spoken about her ex-daughter-in-law publicly so we can only speculate at what the relationship was and currently is.

Princess Diana was wearing her Royal Family Order by 1983, by then William was born. I know that the birth of a child isn't reason enough for the Queen to give the Royal Family Order. Princess Diana had been doing quite a bit of charity work and public appearances as well.

As for Sarah, did she do a lot of charity work/work for the Firm while married to Andrew? Of course, Sarah is going to gush about the Queen. It is in her best interest to give the impression of a good relationship.

It sounds like Diana and Camilla both received their Order within a couple of years of marriage - I assume they might receive it more quickly due to being married to the heir to the throne? Just a guess.

Good Evening Isabella, I believe you may have a point and there is also the protocol issue of their attending more state events as a representative of H.M that ensures from their position as being the wife of the heir, in my humble opinion.

Sarah do share a very close relationship with The Queen. Sarah is not the only person that have acknowledged this publically, but so has Andrew. It's pretty known by veteran royal reporters and correspondents as well. Sarah has been invited to Balmoral to visit The Queen several times, along with Andrew and the girls. She was also invited to Prince's Andrew and Edward Order of the Garter Investiture ceremony.

It's Sarah's relationship with Prince Philip that one questions.

Why Sarah never received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II? One will never know, unless Sarah would say something about it.

I guess that the Queen might have had reservations about it... Well, it si easier to say something like that after what it has happened but still... maybe the Queen kind of "sensed" that there were going to be troubles ahead. Silly thought I know, but since this Order is at the discretion of the Queen, I guess I can speculate as much as I can

There are also limited numbers: Queen Elizabeth, the Princess of Wales, the Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester were alive. When their precious diamond-encrusted Orders felt free, Sarah was already out of the family.

As i understand it, this one is just a personal gift from the monarch and not related to any accomplishment or longetivity as such
I don't think Princess Michael of Kent for instance has received it either (to name a random family member)

There are also limited numbers: Queen Elizabeth, the Princess of Wales, the Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester were alive. When their precious diamond-encrusted Orders felt free, Sarah was already out of the family.

I think the only thing that would limit the RFO is the number of females in the family. Some of the older females such as HM, Margaret and Alice most likely also had the RFO from George VI. I'm not sure how many that are still alive hold the RFO from George V.

Sarah, I believe, didn't really care for the "men in grey" and wasn't enthusiastic at the time with doing engagements and such and that could have put a damper on why HM didn't feel it right to present her with a RFO at the time. Its something we will never know.

I think the only thing that would limit the RFO is the number of females in the family. Some of the older females such as HM, Margaret and Alice most likely also had the RFO from George VI. I'm not sure how many that are still alive hold the RFO from George V.
The Queen is the only living holder of the George V RFO. She also wears that of her father George VI - as does Princess Alexandra, the only other living holder of George VI's RFO. Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, and Princess Marina all held those of George V and George VI.

The Queen is the only living holder of the George V RFO. She also wears that of her father George VI - as does Princess Alexandra, the only other living holder of George VI's RFO. Princess Margaret, Princess Alice, and Princess Marina all held those of George V and George VI.

Thanks for the information. Was wondering about that while talking about HM's RFO.

It is something that only the Queen know. Probably the Queen did not find the right time to do so.

We don't know exactly when Diana received the order, but we know when she first wore it: the State Visit from Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands in November of 1982.

Because in the eyes of the Queen she didn't deserve it. It's as simple as that. That's why Princess Michael didn't receive it either (and why the RVO was never awarded to Diana).

What happens to their orders when they die...do they go into safekeeping or to a family member (as a memento)?

LaRae

Why does this thread ask why she has received it when she hasn't? Anyway there really is no surprise why she wasn't given one. She lasted only 6 yrs and has been a frequent embarrasment to the RF.

Why does this thread ask why she has received it when she hasn't? Anyway there really is no surprise why she wasn't given one. She lasted only 6 yrs and has been a frequent embarrasment to the RF.

The question is this. Sarah did not receive. I wonder why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom