The Royal Family Order (RFO) and other Royal Orders and Decorations 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
According to the DM she was given this award as a wedding anniversary gift in April, 2012

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall made Dame Grand Cross of Royal Victorian Order by Queen | Daily Mail Online

Wikipedia also dates that award to her wedding anniversary in April 2012.

Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe the twitterer meant Kate rather than Camilla and put down the wrong title.

Thanks for the clarification. It could indeed be Kate ... we shall see.

If it is Kate- wonderful! Well deserved!

If it is Kate- wonderful! Well deserved!

She has got married and had a child - how is that deserving of an honour?

Let's be frank, the only people in the Royal Family who have "earned" their honours in the way any other person in the Commonwealth does are Zara Phillips, Mike Tindall and Tim Lawrence (his CBE). I adore Camilla and Sophie and admire Charles and Anne but they have hardly earned the multitude of honours they hold when you compare what non-Royals do to earn their awards.

What Catherine has done for her charities, especially those connected with children , to me deserves recognition. Mods move if this is not the correct thread.

Camilla had to wait 7 years and Diana never got it - both worked more for their charities than Kate has done so far - so she hasn't done enough to earn it. She may do enough in time but other royals have had to work for a lot longer than barely 3 years to get this honour e.g. neither Charles nor Philip have it - yet.

Camilla had to wait 7 years and Diana never got it - both worked more for their charities than Kate has done so far - so she hasn't done enough to earn it. She may do enough in time but other royals have had to work for a lot longer than barely 3 years to get this honour e.g. neither Charles nor Philip have it - yet.

I got a bit curious and went digging for information. According to the sources I've read, Philip is not only GBE, but is also the Grand Master of the Order after the Queen. I know its Wikipedia but...

Current Knights and Dames Grand Cross

Sovereign: Queen Elizabeth II
Grand Master: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
King of Arms: Admiral Sir Peter Abbott, GBE KCB

The Duke of Edinburgh KG KT OM ONZ GBE AC QSO GCL CC CMM PC ADC(P) 1953

You are looking at a different order - the GBE - is the Order of the British Empire.

I am looking at the Royal Victorian Order - RVO - which Philip doesn't have.

Anne is the Grand Master of the RVO.

You are looking at a different order - the GBE - is the Order of the British Empire.

I am looking at the Royal Victorian Order - RVO - which Philip doesn't have.

Anne is the Grand Master of the RVO.
Prince Philip is a member of Order of the Garter since 1947. It is the highest order of chivalry. Next award is higher than previous, the British honours system works only this way. That's why the Queen didn't award prince Philip with RVO.

agreed. I like Kate, but she's no where near the RVO yet. Sounds like the person on twitter doesn't have any clue of what's going on.

I would suggest that perhaps they meant Camilla is to get the Order of the Garter, but that's as ridiculous as Kate getting the RVO at this point.

I looked on Twitter when this first came up and there was a tweet from Royal Insight which said Duchess of Cornwall was getting the order but it seems to be gone now. They probably took it down because Camilla got it several years ago.

Philip got his Garter at the time of his wedding so he really didn't do anything to earn it at the time it was given. But he has earned several times over in the years that followed.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The only earning required is the Queen thinks you deserving. The fact someone receives an house order of chivalry means they've earned it in the eyes of the only person that matters, HMQ.

I looked on Twitter when this first came up and there was a tweet from Royal Insight which said Duchess of Cornwall was getting the order but it seems to be gone now. They probably took it down because Camilla got it several years ago.

Philip got his Garter at the time of his wedding so he really didn't do anything to earn it at the time it was given. But he has earned several times over in the years that followed.

Philip had long served the Crown in several ways before he married Elizabeth and he was marrying the future Queen in a much different time. He most certainly earned it. Mary received hers in 1910 (when she became Queen Consort), seven years after her marriage. The Queen Mother also received hers when she became Queen Consort.

I imagine we'll see the same for Camilla, I would be surprised if it came any sooner.

It's not about earning the orders, The Queen awards them for personal reasons. Also, were talking about a future Queen here, not just any member of the royal family. Catherine is the only senior female member of the royal family that's up for honors.

I think the gongs that will probably be given out soon will be the RFO for Catherine, and possibly, the Garter for Camilla to coincide with their 10th wedding anniversary in 2015. That said, HM may decide that Camilla must wait for the Garter, and only get it from Charles when he is King, quite like the Queen Mother and Queen Mary did, when they became Queen.

Personally, I think Catherine is may years away from getting an RVO sash.

It's not about earning the orders, The Queen awards them for personal reasons. Also, were talking about a future Queen here, not just any member of the royal family. Catherine is the only senior female member of the royal family that's up for honors.

I think Catherine may have already received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

I think Catherine may have already received the Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II.

True, the Royal Family don't earn orders in the same way non-royals do. So, for the family it's like being given a nice piece of jewelry as an anniversary present or a gold watch as a long service gift. That's fine and, like you say, it's the Queen's prerogative but nobody should equate the awards worn by the family with those awarded to ordinary folk.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Then she has not shown it yet, with pride, to the world....

[....]
Stranger knights - will the Queen giv another to Netherlands? She should IMO.

Queen Juliana was made a Royal Lady in The Most Noble Order of the Garter when her mother Princess Wilhelmina (Queen from 1890-1948) was alive.

Queen Beatrix was made a Royal Lady in The Most Noble Order of the Garter when her mother Princess Juliana (Queen from 1948-1980) was alive.

King Willem-Alexander can be made a Royal Knight in The Most Noble Order of the Garter when his mother Princess Beatrix (Queen from 1980-2013) is still alive...

By the way, Princess Beatrix has three British decorations:

Dame Grand Cross in The Royal Victorian Order (1958)
The Royal Victorian Chain (1982)
Royal Lady in The Most Noble Order of the Garter (1989)

:flowers:

I think the gongs that will probably be given out soon will be the RFO for Catherine, and possibly, the Garter for Camilla to coincide with their 10th wedding anniversary in 2015. That said, HM may decide that Camilla must wait for the Garter, and only get it from Charles when he is King, quite like the Queen Mother and Queen Mary did, when they became Queen.

Personally, I think Catherine is may years away from getting an RVO sash.

I would be very surprised to see Camilla get bumped up to the Garter only 3 years after getting the RVO.

I think Catherine might be getting the RFO in 2015, and then the RVO wouldn't be until either Charles becomes King or around 2020, whichever comes first. Sophie got hers in 2010 and I imagine if Camilla had been younger when she married Charles, it would have taken her a few more years before she got hers.

Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 14: October 2013 -

Philip had long served the Crown in several ways before he married Elizabeth and he was marrying the future Queen in a much different time. He most certainly earned it. Mary received hers in 1910 (when she became Queen Consort), seven years after her marriage. The Queen Mother also received hers when she became Queen Consort.

I imagine we'll see the same for Camilla, I would be surprised if it came any sooner.

Mary married George in 1893 so that would be 17 years of marriage before the Garter. Philip served the Crown in the Royal Navy but he wouldn't have gotten the Garter when he did if he was not marrying the King's eldest daughter just based on his naval service record.

Since the Queen hasn't given the garter to someone who married into the Royal family, Charles would most likely be the one to give the Garter to Camilla and may be more generous with the orders to other family members since he isn't going to have a super long time on the throne.

If I recall right the current Grand Duke of Luxembourg isn't a Knight of the Garter so I wonder if the Queen would make WA part of the order but not Henri?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

I wonder if QEII has not honoured some of the more recent monarchs (WA, Felipe, Henri etc) with further honours or the Garter because, perhaps she feels that it more fitting that Prince Charles should bestow these honours when he is King.

I think that HM will not bestow the Garter on Camilla or Catherine. She will leave this up to Charles.

I can see her honouring Catherine with the Royal Victorian Order and the her Royal Family Order, but not the more senior Garter of Thistle.

Indeed, maybe she feels she needs to leave some monarchs for Charles to bestow honours on, especially as new monarchs don't come around very often.

I don't think Catherine will be honoured with the garter until at least Camilla does so I doubt the Queen will bestow the Garter on Catherine, maybe she will on Camilla.

I agree Tommy100. HM has not bestowed the Garter (or Thistle) on any member of the BRF that is not "of the Blood Royal" (i.e. born with royal blood as opposed to marrying into the royal family) so it would not surprise me if Camilla does not receive the Garter until Charles is King (at which time, I would expect this to occur relatively quickly) and maybe The Duchess of Cambridge would receive it before Charles coronation. She may even have to wait until William becomes King???

I wonder if QEII has not honoured some of the more recent monarchs (WA, Felipe, Henri etc) with further honours or the Garter because, perhaps she feels that it more fitting that Prince Charles should bestow these honours when he is King.

I think that HM will not bestow the Garter on Camilla or Catherine. She will leave this up to Charles.

I can see her honouring Catherine with the Royal Victorian Order and the her Royal Family Order, but not the more senior Garter of Thistle.

Usually it takes a while before a foreign monarch receives the Garter, if they receive it at all. King Albert II of Belgium, for example, has never received the Garter during his reign. Part of this has probably to do with the fact that there hasn't been a state visit between the UK and Belgium during his reign, though Garters don't always get awarded during state visits (Queen Beatrix didn't receive hers during a state visit).

I think Camilla will receive the Garter from Charles once he is king. Same for Catherine.

I'm thinking the Garter Orders for Camilla and Catherine will be given upon Charles's succession.

the Garter Orders for Camilla and Catherine will be given upon Charles's succession.

As I expect Henry's will be...

Highly unlikely the Queen will give Camilla any new honors but maybe something for the 10th anniversary.

I do hope that if Camilla has to wait until Charles' reign to receive the Order of the Garter that Catherine has to wait until William's reign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom