The Royal Family and the Media

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is quite interesting that the media who dishes out this hate and meanness now cries wolf.....I have often felt that the media are always trying to manipulate the very people that read their news and anyone else who jumps on board. Just from personal experience many decades ago I have learned to never trust those that write what they want us to read, we as individuals should always go after and find out the facts for ourselves before we jump or endorse those that are called journalist. As the saying goes, it you can dish it out then you better be ready to take it....

There is no excuse of violence of any kind, yet this is the world we live in today and must try to over come it at all costs yet the media is still supporting the very hatred and threats that the Markle's keeping doing to Meghan and other members of the royal family. The media gives the money to the ones with the loudest mouths and the worst drama they produce the better and if that is not supporting violence then I do not know what violence is. The *true* media long before social media came on board I believe that they wanted the truth and supported their country....today it is all about the next 15 minutes of fame for the reporter who gets the scope......I have no sympathy for the media....nor *Trust*.

Last edited:
Actually, I think this is a good thing. Not only to allow her to adjust to her royal role but also to ensure that there's distance between the reporters and Meghan so that its impossible to ask her questions. I can imagine what the top most questions asked of her would be too. She doesn't need to be heckled into giving any kind of a response.

So... better safe than sorry. :D

Actually, I think this is a good thing. Not only to allow her to adjust to her royal role but also to ensure that there's distance between the reporters and Meghan so that its impossible to ask her questions. I can imagine what the top most questions asked of her would be too. She doesn't need to be heckled into giving any kind of a response.

So... better safe than sorry. :D

This is the same problem the media have with Catherine. The media feel like they are being kept away from these senior royal ladies and they can’t properly report on their work and passions. So it’s why we get tons on media coverage on their wardrobes and other silly stuff.

I do think it’s important to give both Meghan and Catherine their space when on the job. Although, I do understand some of the media’s frustrations. I too feel like we don’t get a lot of chances to hear from the royal ladies on the issues that very important to them.

Meghan just started her royal career, and she needs the time to grow in her royal role and carve her path, but it’s gonna be a problem if the media is kept at a distance and don’t get a chance to report on the important things we should know about.

I remember being assured [on this forum] that [the then] Ms Markle was SO conversant and 'at ease' with the media that it would be 'a breeze' for her to deal with them...

It would be understandable for the media to have complaints that they're being kept a bay away from Meghan *if* it wasn't for the fact that right now, its their publications that doing what they can to print stories and interviews with the mindset that its OK to print garbage being spewed out of the mouths of people that really don't matter and for now, they're the publications "cash cows".

Right now, in this time and place, I don't see the "royal reporters" itching to get their hands on Meghan's outlook for her work, her thoughts on her passions or anything that would be called journalistic reporting. They want the "scoop" to keep the War of the Markles going full steam ahead and the money flowing into their bank accounts.

Meghan *is* adept at handling the press and speaking in public but I would bet my last bowl of cottage cheese with mandarin oranges that she never, in her wildest dreams, would have thought she'd be dealing with a pack of media more interested in her personal life and troubles with her e(strange)d family.

I do believe things would be much, much different as far as the media is concerned if all of Meghan's e(strange)d family behaved as respectable human beings instead of being hell bent on denigrating, demeaning and exploiting her.

Last edited:
I remember being assured [on this forum] that [the then] Ms Markle was SO conversant and 'at ease' with the media that it would be 'a breeze' for her to deal with them...

As I'm sure if she has to do public speaking or an interview when the time comes, she'd be nothing but comfortable with it. However, this isn't an interview that he's talking about. He's complaining that they are being kept too far from her when she's interacting with others at an event. She is also allowed some privacy to deal with her personal issue that she shouldn't have to comment about.

My issue with Richard Palmer's whining yesterday was that 1) he put the blame on association with the Sussex wrongly and 2) he whined about being held responsible for the actions of those in his profession in thesame breath blaming Harry for actions of trolls. Look, internet trolls are internet trolls. They will be there no matter who it is. Report them on Twitter, call them out, and report to the police when necessary. I'm all for that regardless of who it is. But to somehow put this on the Sussexes and group an entire group with actions of a few all the while complaining about others doing something similar to you is not helping matters.

Last edited:
If Harry has told Meghan anything about royal life, it’s the tabloid press is relentless and attacking.

So as uncomfortable and maybe embarrassing as her family is, none of it should come as a surprise to Meghan.

I think the press is being kept at a distance until Meghan becomes fully comfortable with the BRF family way of doing things.

I think her first instinct is to still think of herself as an American celebrity who can virtue signal on just about anything.

Her comments in Ireland confirm this. It’s one of the reasons I think the Queen wanted Samantha Cohen to step in for six months. She’s an experienced courtier who can guide Meghan and Harry as they make this transition.

Last edited:
Oh for goodness' sake, give the virtue signaling a break. I'm not seeing how most of the work done by the royal in advocating for change is any different than what Meghan did before. Of course, some like to believe it's all for show in the media. It's difficult for some to believe celebrities can really want to do good and have passion for serious issues like others apparently. Especially when they don't have to. However, given her belief in equal rights started at the tender age of 11, I highly doubt anyone can accuse an 11 year old of virtue signaling. It's not like she needed to get in front of press at that young age and knew decades down the road that she'd be the Duchess of Sussex and it'll all be played out in the media.

Samantha Cohen is joining the Sussex's office as it is an important transitional time for them. As ELF set up the private office for Harry, it's now just as important to set the tone for their office together. And Samantha Cohen will be invaluable in that. However, let's not take that as another chance to drag Meghan a bit. Samantha Cohen also has press office experience (I believe she was in the communication office first), so it'll be interesting to see if the way Sussexes will handle the media change going forward.

Last edited:

She knows how to deal with the media, but in the lane she was used to dealing with them previously. She’s now in a different ball game. Although I think she will do very well once she’s officially launched in her own right. I think that’s coming in the fall.

“She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.”

In other news, I find this tweet from Richard Palmer interesting. Talking about Meghan discarding people and leaking stories.

The leaking of stories to favoured journalists has been around for awhile. Certain American and British media outlets always seemed to get the inside information about Meghan.

“She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.”

In other news, I find this tweet from Richard Palmer interesting. Talking about Meghan discarding people and leaking stories.

The leaking of stories to favoured journalists has been around for awhile. Certain American and British media outlets always seemed to get the inside information about Meghan.

I don't believe he meant her, but rather the Markles, on the leaking.

As for her discarding people, that was a disgusting and unfounded comments. She has plenty of people in her life that's been there for decades. Just because she's not close to, and rightfully so, some family members and an old friend (who according to her is the one that discarded Meghan), doesn't mean she discards people. If that's the case, I'm sure we've all "discarded" people in our lives and Meghan shouldn't be singled out here.

Samantha Cohen is joining the Sussex's office as it is an important transitional time for them. As ELF set up the private office for Harry, it's now just as important to set the tone for their office together. And Samantha Cohen will be invaluable in that. However, let's not take that as another chance to drag Meghan a bit. Samantha Cohen also has press office experience (I believe she was in the communication office first), so it'll be interesting to see if the way Sussexes will handle the media change going forward.

Ultimately, every office in KP is subordinate to The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary.

So Samantha Cohen will be helping to guide Meghan and Harry, but just like ELF, she answers to Simon Case.

Any way we look at it, its obvious that the "Firm" is doing whatever it can to assure that Meghan is able to adapt and feel comfortable going ahead in her new role. Its a process and knowing that things are geared to helping her adjust and get comfortable shows the support she has behind her no matter what the reasons are. :D

Ultimately, every office in KP is subordinate to The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary.

So Samantha Cohen will be helping to guide Meghan and Harry, but just like ELF, she answers to Simon Case.

While that might be the case officially. I highly doubt Simon Case will be up in Harry and Meghan's business. Unless something goes egregious wrong, they've all got their lanes. Ultimately, it all goes up to the top lady, but I highly doubt the Queen is stepping in unless she needs to. Every company has an official reporting change, but in this case, if Meghan and Harry aren't happy with a member of their staff, it's up to them, not Simon Case to decide they stay or go.

While that might be the case officially. I highly doubt Simon Case will be up in Harry and Meghan's business. Unless something goes egregious wrong, they've all got their lanes. Ultimately, it all goes up to the top lady, but I highly doubt the Queen is stepping in unless she needs to. Every company has an official reporting change, but in this case, if Meghan and Harry aren't happy with a member of their staff, it's up to them, not Simon Case to decide they stay or go.

This I agree. Meghan and Harry’s affairs are theirs to deal with on a day to day basis. It’s up to them to hire and fire staff within their office.

I was just pointing out that ultimately within KP the buck stops with Simon Case

One should not be surprised with such developments. One can assume that eternal wailing of the herd is to accompany the British royal family.

Last edited:
This I agree. Meghan and Harry’s affairs are theirs to deal with on a day to day basis. It’s up to them to hire and fire staff within their office.

I was just pointing out that ultimately within KP the buck stops with Simon Case

Ultimately, everything rolls up to BP. The reality is that they all have a lot of freedoms today to run their own office.

But to the point I was making. It'd be interesting to see if there are any changes on how Harry and Meghan's office will choose to deal with media under Samantha's influence.

Last edited:
Ultimately, everything rolls up to BP. The reality is that they all have a lot of freedoms today to run their own office.

Yes everything roles up to BP.

But it’s The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary, Simon Case, and The Duchess of Cambridge’s private secretary, Catherine Quinn, who are members of the Lord Chamberlain’s committee, which oversees the household on behalf of the Queen.

None of Harry or Meghan’s personal staff are on the committee.

The committee is responsible for policy making and overall direction of the royal households.

Yes everything roles up to BP.

But it’s The Duke of Cambridge’s private secretary, Simon Case, and The Duchess of Cambridge’s private secretary, Catherine Quinn, who are members of the Lord Chamberlain’s committee, which oversees the household on behalf of the Queen.

None of Harry or Meghan’s personal staff are on the committee.

The committee is responsible for policy making and overall direction of the royal households.
And Duchess of Cambridge's Private Secretary wasn't on that committee either until very recently. Even on the committee, I doubt everyone has equal weight in what they say. The direction of the royal household is up to the top lady. The heir and his wife and his heir and his heir's wife have their private secretary on there to ensure continuity. Unless they plan on cutting off supporting charitable causes, I doubt we'll see it have much effect on Harry and Meghan's work. And when Charles does become king, the dynamic will change again, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Meghan and Harry's office begin to roll up under Charles' directly rather than the current structure.

But again, this has little impact on my original point of Samantha Cohen's role and how it would play out for Harry and Meghan and the media after the summer.

Last edited:
She does seem to be someone who moves on and discards people from her past so I have no idea if she still wants to be close to her father and half siblings. If she does, I'd suggest (a bit like in a peace process) there needs to be some confidence-building ie no leaking stories.”

The thing of discarding people is something that every human being does in life, it is called ...*moving on*. There is nothing wrong with anyone moving on or discarding people as times change, people change, jobs move, careers take at different path, so this talk and blaming Meghan for *discarding people* is just a bunch of BS.......we all do it in our lives and to get rid of the people that want to hurt us, what the heck is wrong with that may I ask? NO one has the right to abuse or hurt another human being in any form what so ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
“As far as I can see the pitchfork brigade have just regarded anything not 100% gushing as racist ever since with no evidence. There is a school of thought that if someone perceives something as racist it must be so but surely there must be some evidence of intent,thought process?”

This is Richard Palmer’s response to a Twitter comment. You see this on various blogs and websites. If you’re not gushing about Meghan, it’s because you’re racist.

It’s not doing Meghan any favours.

Under normal circumstances I think she would have been mostly fine--but these are not even close to being "normal circumstances"--dealing with most of your biological immediate family being difficult and hateful towards you in the media while you are adjusting to a new husband, new lifestyle and new job.

Last edited:
BTW, Osipi made a good point in the other thread about there possibly being a reason media is kept further away from Meghan now due to the drama with her father and preventing press from shouting questions about that at her and try to catch a reaction. I very much agree with this assessment. As per Richard Palmer's own account, this wasn't always the case, it's since the wedding. So why would you need to protect someone at this length now when you've not seen the need to go that far in the past? The only thing that has changed is the drama that's been going on. Also very much a one-sided fight, I should add.

Interesting time of everything. Jess Ilse from Royal Central just put out this piece.

The Duchess of Sussex deserves so much better than how she has been treated – Royal Central

It’s an opinion piece. This particular opinion piece praises all things Meghan, but it’s no more valid than opinions which state negatives about Meghan.

It’s just an example of how we believe the positive stories when it comes to a particular royal we like, and dismiss the negative as just ‘noise’

It’s an opinion piece. This particular opinion piece praises all things Meghan, but it’s no more valid than opinions which state negatives about Meghan.

It’s just an example of how we believe the positive stories when it comes to a particular royal we like, and dismiss the negative as just ‘noise’

Wow, I didn't get that the Royal Central article was an article praising Meghan so much as a criticism of those who attack Meghan for the money they can make off her.

Last edited:

I am pretty sure Richard was referring to the Markles, not Meghan. Though I have no doubt the royals leak stories to balance things out. I suspect it’s been happening quite a bit lately all around with a few of them.

And we wonder why these young royals put so much effort into being "under the radar" and keeping their private lives private. Its a much needed defense mechanism to keep from going totally insane and being able to breathe without people nitpicking over every little aspect of their lives. :whistling:

And we wonder why these young royals put so much effort into being "under the radar" and keeping their private lives private. Its a much needed defense mechanism to keep from going totally insane and being able to breathe without people nitpicking over every little aspect of their lives. :whistling:

Right! I wonder how we all would hold up under the kind of scrutiny that their lives are under. Some of the things that get nitpicked are really so inconsequential.

I think it must be terrible being a minor Royal who gets targeted by a Senior Royal for having "attention-stealing" benign or favorable press. The zero-sum game situation that Mark Bolland played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom