The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #81  
Old 02-18-2022, 12:23 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 975
It's sad that The Duke of York's poor judgement in behaviour and association brought ramifications to other family members. ie changes to flag flying protocol.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 02-18-2022, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
However, not only the Duke of York's birthday (February 19) has been removed from the list. In 2021, the list of designated days for flying the Union Flag on UK government buildings included the birthdays of:

the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh
the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge
the Duke of York
the Earl and Countess of Wessex
the Princess Royal

In the updated list for 2022, the designated birthdays have been trimmed down to the Queen and the Prince of Wales.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/designat...on-flag-flying
The same changes have been made to the list of royal birthdays designated for the tolling of the bells at Westminster Abbey. Prior to the Covid-19 pandemic, the bells were rung on the royal birthdays designated as flag days as well as the birthdays of the Cambridge children - but not, for some peculiar reason, the birthday of the Duke of Sussex.

The list of royal birthdays designated as bell-ringing days (already temporarily reduced by the pandemic) will now be permanently slimmed down to the Queen and the Prince of Wales, corresponding to the flag-flying days.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...royal-fanfare/


Quote:
The bells of Westminster Abbey will not ring for the Duke, who missed out on the celebration last year due to Covid-19 restrictions but was given the honour in 2020, even after his Newsnight interview about his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein.

The decision, made temporarily in 2020, is “now permanent”, a source said.

A spokeswoman for Westminster Abbey said: “Due to the financial challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic, Westminster Abbey will ring its bells only for the birthdays of HM The Queen and HRH The Prince of Wales.”

The Telegraph article also includes a statement from the government spokeswoman on the changes to the flag flying protocol.


Quote:
In 2020, after emails insisting that local authorities fly the flag for the Duke’s birthday were leaked, DCMS clarified that it was “no longer a requirement” for them to do so.

But the date, February 19, remained on the list of official “designated days” on its website until the end of 2021. On February 11, it discreetly removed the birthday for the 2022 calendar.

A government spokeswoman said: “Since 2021 the default position in Great Britain is that the Union Flag flies all year round unless another flag is being flown.

“However we routinely review the list of designated days for flying the Union Flag on UK Government Buildings.

“These changes make the days consistent with other commemorative events, such as gun salutes.”

I am not familiar with gun salute protocol in the UK. Am I to understand that gun salutes marking royal birthdays have always been restricted to the birthdays of the Queen and the Prince of Wales?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 02-18-2022, 04:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

I am not familiar with gun salute protocol in the UK. Am I to understand that gun salutes marking royal birthdays have always been restricted to the birthdays of the Queen and the Prince of Wales?
Yes they have. Always just for the monarch (+ spouse) & their heir. Nobody else.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 02-18-2022, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I assume they didn't want to single out the Duke of York and therefore also had to remove his siblings (and sister-in-law).
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
It's sad that The Duke of York's poor judgement in behaviour and association brought ramifications to other family members. ie changes to flag flying protocol.
The changes to flag flying and bell ringing protocols seem to reflect Queen Elizabeth's decision for ceremonial military uniforms not to be worn by the royal mourners at the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral in order not to single out the Duke of York and the Duke of Sussex.

I wonder if it will be necessary to change any other protocols for the same purpose. In particular, I expect the royal family's social media accounts will no longer acknowledge the Duke of York's birthdays from hereon. (Even in February 2021, months before the civil suit was filed, the accounts posted an #On This Day rather than the usual "Wishing a happy birthday" to mark Prince Andrew's birthday). Will they continue to post birthday wishes for other members of the royal family?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
She was a widow on her wedding anniversary in 2021 as well... (that's why I pointed out that it still was included last year) The 2021 list was last adapted in June (so a few months after the Duke of Edinburgh's death - although his birthday was kept as a flag day as well as their wedding anniversary).
Given that the birthdays of other deceased royals have been removed, I wonder if the deceased Duke of Edinburgh's birthday and wedding day were left on the list of designated flag days for 2021 as a farewell gesture in the year of his death or if it was simply overlooked.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes they have. Always just for the monarch (+ spouse) & their heir. Nobody else.
Interesting. If the Duke of Edinburgh's birthday was included, then that answers my question about whether the Duchess of Cornwall's birthday is likely to be restored as a designated flag flying (and bell ringing) day in the next reign.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 02-20-2022, 09:16 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I wonder if it will be necessary to change any other protocols for the same purpose. In particular, I expect the royal family's social media accounts will no longer acknowledge the Duke of York's birthdays from hereon. (Even in February 2021, months before the civil suit was filed, the accounts posted an #On This Day rather than the usual "Wishing a happy birthday" to mark Prince Andrew's birthday). Will they continue to post birthday wishes for other members of the royal family?
The royal social media accounts indeed did not acknowledge the Duke of York's 62nd birthday.

Ed Southgate of The Sun wrote:
Buckingham Palace confirmed there has been no public message as the Duke marks his birthday today.

It is understood public birthday wishes are not made for non-working members of the Royal Family.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/177041...birthday-snub/

It certainly was not the case until now that "public birthday wishes are not made for non-working members of the Royal Family". Even Archie Mountbatten-Windsor's birthdays were marked by the royal family's social media accounts each year.

When is the next birthday of a non-working member of the Royal Family which was marked with a public message in past years? Was a public message posted on the Duchess of Kent's birthday (February 22) in 2021?
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 02-20-2022, 06:31 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, United States
Posts: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

It certainly was not the case until now that "public birthday wishes are not made for non-working members of the Royal Family". Even Archie Mountbatten-Windsor's birthdays were marked by the royal family's social media accounts each year.

When is the next birthday of a non-working member of the Royal Family which was marked with a public message in past years? Was a public message posted on the Duchess of Kent's birthday (February 22) in 2021?
Excluding Mrs. Kent (how she introduced herself to her music students) the next birthday of a non-working member is Princess Eugenie on March 23.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 04-27-2022, 08:25 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: New York, New York, United States
Posts: 87
Didn’t know where else to put this question forth but curious:

What do William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugene, Zara, etc call their royal aunt and uncles?

Do they call the Princess Royal Aunt Anne or just Anne? What do they call the Prince of Wales, simply Uncle Charles? Uncle Andrew?
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 04-27-2022, 10:06 PM
Prinsara's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: A place to grow, Canada
Posts: 3,723
William and Harry were on video in The Queen at 90 referring to her as just "Anne" (and laughing at the possibility of her wiping out as a small child on film, basically). I somehow doubt they addressed her like that as children but that's the extent of my knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-06-2022, 06:57 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 5,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The royal social media accounts indeed did not acknowledge the Duke of York's 62nd birthday.

Ed Southgate of The Sun wrote:
Buckingham Palace confirmed there has been no public message as the Duke marks his birthday today.

It is understood public birthday wishes are not made for non-working members of the Royal Family.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/177041...birthday-snub/

It certainly was not the case until now that "public birthday wishes are not made for non-working members of the Royal Family". Even Archie Mountbatten-Windsor's birthdays were marked by the royal family's social media accounts each year.

When is the next birthday of a non-working member of the Royal Family which was marked with a public message in past years? Was a public message posted on the Duchess of Kent's birthday (February 22) in 2021?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Excluding Mrs. Kent (how she introduced herself to her music students) the next birthday of a non-working member is Princess Eugenie on March 23.
Thank you. A birthday message was indeed posted to mark Princess Eugenie's birthday in 2021, but no message was posted on her birthday this year on March 23, 2022. However, a public message was posted to mark Archie Mountbatten-Windsor's third birthday on May 6, 2022, seemingly in contradiction of the new rule. (Readers of the thread should please be mindful of the forum rule against Sussex discussion outside of the Sussex forum. My intention is to note the apparent termination or inconsistent application of the new general protocol which was announced in February.)

Perhaps readers who follow the British royal social media accounts can report on how other non-working royal birthdays have been handled before and after the February 2022 announcement.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-07-2022, 07:25 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: New York, New York, United States
Posts: 87
Only non-working royals who get
Birthday shoutouts are Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Archie, Lili and the Cambridge children.

Beatrice and Eugenie, they do so sporadically and not at all a regular thing. But as they are two of the few princesses of the blood and have titles, this makes some sense. But it is not a regular thing.

With the Cambridge children, it makes sense as they are very much future of the monarchy and children of a future king.

With the Sussexes and Archie and Lili, it’s very clearly a PR thing. If they didn’t wish them public happy birthdays, it would go noticed and cause ugly headlines.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 10-04-2022, 01:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoRoyalFan View Post
Only non-working royals who get
Birthday shoutouts are Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Archie, Lili and the Cambridge children.

Beatrice and Eugenie, they do so sporadically and not at all a regular thing. But as they are two of the few princesses of the blood and have titles, actuary job makes some sense. But it is not a regular thing.

With the Cambridge children, it makes sense as they are very much future of the monarchy and children of a future king.

With the Sussexes and Archie and Lili, it’s very clearly a PR thing. If they didn’t wish them public happy birthdays, it would go noticed and cause ugly headlines.
Why do they have to be non-working?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
protocol, relationships


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Protocol and Etiquette Lord Williams Royal Ceremony and Protocol 380 02-03-2023 11:47 AM
Grand Ducal Family Protocol Solange Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg 44 01-02-2021 12:59 PM
Royals Breaking Protocol Australian Royal Ceremony and Protocol 172 05-24-2018 10:08 AM




Popular Tags
africa albert prince consort all tags america arcadie arcadie claret austria british british royal family caribbean caroline charles iii claret congo current events danish royal family death denmark duarte pio duchess of kent edward vii elizabeth ii emperor naruhito empress masako garsenda genealogy general news grace kelly grimaldi hamdan bin ahmed history india introduction jewels jordan royal family king king charles king philippe king willem-alexander leopold ier matrilineal monaco monarchy mountbatten need help official visit order of precedence portugal prince albert monaco prince christian princess of orange queen alexandra queen camilla queen ena of spain queen margrethe ii queen mathilde queen maxima queen victoria republics restoration royal initials royal wedding silk spain spanish royal family state visit switzerland visit william woven


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2023
Jelsoft Enterprises