The Protocol Thread

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only non-working royals who get
Birthday shoutouts are Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Archie, Lili and the Cambridge children.

Beatrice and Eugenie, they do so sporadically and not at all a regular thing. But as they are two of the few princesses of the blood and have titles, actuary job makes some sense. But it is not a regular thing.

With the Cambridge children, it makes sense as they are very much future of the monarchy and children of a future king.

With the Sussexes and Archie and Lili, it’s very clearly a PR thing. If they didn’t wish them public happy birthdays, it would go noticed and cause ugly headlines.

Why do they have to be non-working?

The flag-flying days for 2023 have been announced:

1 March: St David’s Day (in Wales)
13 March: Commonwealth Day (second Monday in March)
17 March: St Patrick’s Day (in Northern Ireland)
9 April: His Majesty’s Wedding Day
23 April: St George’s Day (in England)
6 May: Coronation Day
17 June: Official Birthday of His Majesty The King
21 June: Birthday of The Prince of Wales
17 July: Birthday of The Queen Consort
8 September: His Majesty’s Accession
12 November: Remembrance Day (second Sunday in November)
14 November: Birthday of His Majesty The King
30 November: St Andrew’s Day (in Scotland)

This accounts for the new accession and coronation days, and the King's wedding day being in April. And the birthdays of Camilla and William have been restored after an absence of one year (after all of the HRHs except the then-Prince of Wales were removed).

Following on from another of last year's discussions, I've looked at lists of gun salutes from the websites of the royal family and the Royal Parks, and while both have been updated with dates related to the new order of things, there are not gun salutes listed for the birthdays of the Queen Consort or the Prince of Wales. If this is a genuine change and not something "due to be updated" as the parks website says, it will have the curious effect that Camilla's birthday will result in the firing of guns in New Zealand but not Britain.

Last edited:
Saw this photo of Princess Eugenie with Queen Camilla at the Cheltenham last month, and it made me wonder: What do Charles' nieces and nephews call Camilla?

Id imagine they simply called her Camilla prior to the death of QEII, but now? I cant imagine they are just calling her Your Majesty on regular and normal occasions. But simply calling her Camilla constantly in conversation seems rather....odd too? Would be much easier if they called her Aunt Camilla as I couldn't imagine calling my aunt anything but aunt even after she became queen. But I doubt they would have called her aunt in the past.

I'm sure King Charles is still Uncle Charles to them.
GLnqs7Da0AAycnE

Back
Top Bottom