The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back through history:

Under Victoria the children didn't do much at all - and she was happy with that and objected often if the PoW did do things as it was seen as upstaging the monarch.

Under Edward VII - again he and his wife did the work with a little being done by the PoW and his wife but not much (George V's biographer refers to him spending his time gluing in stamps and shooting things as DoY and PoW)

George V changed things in the 1920s - why? After the fall of many European monarchies in 1918 he believed that his family had to be more visible to be relevant and so he started getting his sons and daughter and daughters-in-law working in charity etc. What would he have done with adult grandchildren we don't know as the eldest was still a child when he died and the eldest HRH was not even 10.

Again with George VI we don't know what use he would have made of adult grandchildren.

When The Queen became Queen she was short on workers - she had her Uncle Henry (not popular and had been close to a disaster as GG of Australia so had to be low key), her Aunts Alice and Marina who worked for her. She had to convince her mother to continue working. Her grandmother died just over a year into her reign. She also had a younger sister and cousin. Of course she also had her husband. So she started her reign with 7 workers but...they had to do very long tours of the Commonwealth and Empire and they were all doing heaps and heaps of things.

The Kent boys both went into the army and served for 20+ years each. The Gloucester boys took a different route with William going into the Civil Service and Richard into architecture. The belief was that the boys would have careers while the girls would work for the Firm. The exception was that the elder boy who would inherit the titles would take on a lot of duties in time with Richard having to ditch architecture when his older brother and father died so close together. About the same time the Duke of Kent also left the army but only after his 20 year career.

Anne didn't start working full-time until into the 1980s - after her equestrian career had ended - she did get involved in some charity work e.g. Save the Children during the 1970s but largely it was into the 1980s when she was a working royal and she was in her 30s. She regularly did around 600 a year but over the last few years is down to around 500 so already appears to be slowing down.

Charles was also nearly 30 when he was expected to take up full-time royal duties after university and the military. Charles has only regularly approaching 600 for the last 5 years and usually has been around 400-450.

Andrew had 20+ years in the navy before taking on a full-time role in his late 30s - remembering that he entered the navy straight from school and so still in his teens.

Edward also worked until into his late 30s before being asked to take on a full-load of royal duties in 2002.

The history therefore is there for the royals to actually have their 20s and even early 30s for themselves with it getting later and later before they have to devote themselves to royal duties.

William and Kate will be the same - late 30s to mid-40s I suspect as they won't be really needed for another decade or so to replace those older generation who are closing in on retiring.

Harry I suspect won't be full-time for another 20+ years and his wife never. I see a changing of the guard happening - living a real working life until 40+ and then working as a royal until 80ish so 20 years in the real world and 40 years of duty and small talk. I also see the spouse of any but the heir sticking to their own careers (assuming that they have had one which any self-respecting young woman or man would have these days).

Last edited:
Wow that is an extensive history that you have wrapped up very neatly. Thank you.

:previous: Second that. Beautifully summed up history. Gives a good perspective. :flowers:

Going back through history:

Under Victoria the children didn't do much at all - and she was happy with that and objected often if the PoW did do things as it was seen as upstaging the monarch.

Under Edward VII - again he and his wife did the work with a little being done by the PoW and his wife but not much (George V's biographer refers to him spending his time gluing in stamps and shooting things as DoY and PoW)

George V changed things in the 1920s - why? After the fall of many European monarchies in 1918 he believed that his family had to be more visible to be relevant and so he started getting his sons and daughter and daughters-in-law working in charity etc. What would he have done with adult grandchildren we don't know as the eldest was still a child when he died and the eldest HRH was not even 10.

Again with George VI we don't know what use he would have made of adult grandchildren.

When The Queen became Queen she was short on workers - she had her Uncle Henry (not popular and had been close to a disaster as GG of Australia so had to be low key), her Aunts Alice and Marina who worked for her. She had to convince her mother to continue working. Her grandmother died just over a year into her reign. She also had a younger sister and cousin. Of course she also had her husband. So she started her reign with 7 workers but...they had to do very long tours of the Commonwealth and Empire and they were all doing heaps and heaps of things.

The Kent boys both went into the army and served for 20+ years each. The Gloucester boys took a different route with William going into the Civil Service and Richard into architecture. The belief was that the boys would have careers while the girls would work for the Firm. The exception was that the elder boy who would inherit the titles would take on a lot of duties in time with Richard having to ditch architecture when his older brother and father died so close together. About the same time the Duke of Kent also left the army but only after his 20 year career.

Anne didn't start working full-time until into the 1980s - after her equestrian career had ended - she did get involved in some charity work e.g. Save the Children during the 1970s but largely it was into the 1980s when she was a working royal and she was in her 30s. She regularly did around 600 a year but over the last few years is down to around 500 so already appears to be slowing down.

Charles was also nearly 30 when he was expected to take up full-time royal duties after university and the military. Charles has only regularly approaching 600 for the last 5 years and usually has been around 400-450.

Andrew had 20+ years in the navy before taking on a full-time role in his late 30s - remembering that he entered the navy straight from school and so still in his teens.

Edward also worked until into his late 30s before being asked to take on a full-load of royal duties in 2002.

The history therefore is there for the royals to actually have their 20s and even early 30s for themselves with it getting later and later before they have to devote themselves to royal duties.

William and Kate will be the same - late 30s to mid-40s I suspect as they won't be really needed for another decade or so to replace those older generation who are closing in on retiring.

Harry I suspect won't be full-time for another 20+ years and his wife never. I see a changing of the guard happening - living a real working life until 40+ and then working as a royal until 80ish so 20 years in the real world and 40 years of duty and small talk. I also see the spouse of any but the heir sticking to their own careers (assuming that they have had one which any self-respecting young woman or man would have these days).

I think the problem is people have a different definition of full time.

Princess Anne, while in her 30s through mid 40s, averaged between 650-750 events per year.

In her 60s she is averaging 550.

Is full time 400-500 events per year or 700-800?

Last year only Prince Charles had more than 500 engagements.

Princess Anne had number in the 400s.

The Queen, Andrew & Edward in the 300s.

Is the new full time 300-400?

Or is there a different definition of full time based on the age of the person?

Last edited:
I have read some people's opinion that full-time is 600 while others say 400.

I do think that less than 150 is definitely part-time. 350 plus is full-time but if a person has been at that sort of figure in their 30s - 50s and in their 60s - 70s has dropped to 200 or so they are still full-time due to slowing down with age.

We don't know when Charles will come to the throne. If it is another ten years that will be a very different picture than if the Queen died next week. In ten years the Queen's cousins will be out of the picture and Anne will be slowing down considerably as will Charles and Camilla.

If the older members still left do 400-500 engagements a year that still leaves a considerable shortfall, even with Edward and Sophie still working. The younger members of the family will have to make up the shortfall and it's not going to be George and sibling, who will be under twelve.

The Queen had four children, Charles has only two. We know Harry wishes to be a full-time army officer but sometimes in royal life wishes come second to duty.

Why believe that Harry won't marry? His romance with Cressida lasted two years not 'barely one', and may be continuing for all we know. If Harry marries in the next couple of years or so, as the royal family is constituted now, his wife will almost certainly give up her career. If she's in her mid twenties, 26, 27, she won't have been 'working for a decade' unless she started work at a remarkably young age.

In ten years or so working royals are likely to be King Charles and Queen Camilla, working at a pace that suits their age, ditto Anne, then Andrew and the Wessex duo with the same as they do now.

The Cambridges and Harry and his wife will have to be full time royals. As a nod to their still young families they could do about 400 engagements a year each, without wrecking family time.

I think the problem is people have a different definition of full time.

Princess Anne, while in her 30s through mid 40s, averaged between 650-750 events per year.

In her 60s she is averaging 550.

Is full time 400-500 events per year or 700-800?

Last year only Prince Charles had more than 500 engagements.

Princess Anne had number in the 400s.

The Queen, Andrew & Edward in the 300s.

Is the new full time 300-400?

Or is there a different definition of full time based on the age of the person?

One thing to consider is the nature of the event. It seems to me (Ilovebertie may have a better-informed opinion) that there is a slow migration away from curtain opening events and toward doing good works/bringing attention to good works. By that I mean I think that much of the family has decided the way froward is to be the standard bearer for excellent causes. As opposed to an approach where you geographically troop about and catch all the newly opened gardens, businesses and hospital wings in a county area.

Not that the latter will ever disappear, just that I see the focus of the firm shifting to a position of driving social effort/funfraising, rather than following it. You also see much more of allowing the public to access the royal life (palaces, gardens and homes open at various times in the year) and that meets some of the need to "see a royal in your village."
And social media, for much of the population, has opened up the visibility of the firm. So for people that bother to watch, every event drives more attention than it did even 10 years ago.
And as all that changes - the numbers, types and organization of events changes. You see less of all royals doing "6 events in a day near Reading" but may see 6 events focused on conservation efforts over 3 months. It requires a different kind of planning.
I think 400 events 10 years ago compared to 400 events today are a bit apples and oranges.

I will add that to my upcoming Christmas Holiday list - I have to finish the total engagements by year that I started earlier and will do an analysis of people like The Queen, Philip, Charles and Anne on the type of engagements they were doing a decade ago compared to now to see if there is something happening. Can't start until December as am just flat chat with end of year exams, reports etc for the next month.

:previous:Don't overwork yourself!!! Flu season is coming and those papers can't grade themselves. Besides prepping for a substitute is sometimes more of a pain than actually going to work.

The royal information can wait.

:previous:Don't overwork yourself!!! Flu season is coming and those papers can't grade themselves. Besides prepping for a substitute is sometimes more of a pain than actually going to work.

The royal information can wait.

I doubt Bertie has to worry about flu season yet - it's almost summer in Australia.

That said, Bertie, don't over work yourself. We'd hate to see you take on too much.

You are right! I'd forgotten that minor detail.

The vast majority of comments in this thread are based on 2 assumptions:

*that Charles wants to slim down the monarchy and that some Royals will made or encouraged to 'retire' when Charles become King

*that the number of engagements carried out by the royals needs to be maintained for the monarchy to be functional

But why? Would the monarchy really come to a crashing halt if half the number or engagements were carried out? I doubt for example the media would notice except when they produce league tables of the number of engagements carried out.
Apart from a few comments by some 'unnamed source' why do people assume Charles wants to his family to retire. In time the main RF will become naturally smaller as Charles has two sons to the Queen's 4 children.
I think cepe's post should be required reading every 3 months so we don't have to have a rehash of mean old Charles grinching!

We mentioned on a variety of threads, most notably in recent days the Beatrice and Eugenie trip, about Prince Charles wanting a slim line monarchy. And I've asked where is the evidence.

I found the following today on the Royal Reporter Twitter account of Richard Palmer of the Ex
press.

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter
@jennyg2k The idea of Charles wanting a slimmer monarchy seems based on a 1990s briefing by one spin doctor trying to big him up at the time

2:18 AM - 22 Jan 13 · Details

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter@jennyg2k It may be true Charles wants a slimmed down monarchy but I know of nobody inside the Royal Household who is briefing that.

The evidence is rather thin IMO
Thin! It's blasted anorexic!

And yet, on thread after thread, posters who have not bothered to familiarise themselves with the earlier content, merrily lambast Charles for his mean, shortsighted, etc. ad nauseam, actions. Actions which as PoW he could not take and has never said he will as King.

Why should George & sibling have to sacrifice their education especially in the 21st century when it is more accessible than it was when the Queen & Princess Anne were 18.

Distance education isn't for everyone. Some students (me) benefit from attending lectures & having greater interaction with lecturers than is possible online.

University also serves a social function. It will allow the young royals to mix with a far greater range of society than they will get at school (assuming they will go to public school rather than the local comprehensive).

The benefit of them leaving education early is they would be able to carry out more engagements and therefore share the royal burden more effectively.

And then get the same sort of criticism as Catherine does, never having hada 'proper job'.

George will follow a path like his father did. University and Military afterwards. George's brothers would also be highly likely to join the military. Sisters could work for charities like the prince's trust or their parents royal foundation, museums, become doctors or lawyers, even join the military also or they could become sports women like Zara or Anne.

Plus going to university, will expand their circle of friends and potential spouses from the private school crowd that they are most likely going to grow up with

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
I think cepe's post should be required reading every 3 months so we don't have to have a rehash of mean old Charles grinching!

Thin! It's blasted anorexic!

And yet, on thread after thread, posters who have not bothered to familiarise themselves with the earlier content, merrily lambast Charles for his mean, shortsighted, etc. ad nauseam, actions. Actions which as PoW he could not take and has never said he will as King.

I am not lambasting or criticizing Charles when I say he seems to be moving towards a streamlined royal family. I think it is a good idea.

I also disagree that the belief that Charles (and the Queen) are moving towards focusing on a few core members of the family is based on one old news report. It's been clear for a while that Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are not being groomed to take on a more visible role in the monarchy. If Charles intended to use them when he ascends, you would think he would have them perform at least a few duties now. Some of their current appearances for charities could be listed on the CC, but aren't.

Obviously, we will see what happens when Charles ascends the throne.

Republican paper says Charles will be a 'hands on' King

Becoming king will not silence Prince Charles, say allies | UK news | The Guardian
Prince Charles is ready to reshape the monarch’s role when he becomes king and make “heartfelt interventions” in national life in contrast to the Queen’s taciturn discretion on public affairs, his allies have said.

In signs of an emerging strategy that could risk carrying over the controversy about his alleged meddling in politics into his kingship, sources close to the heir say he is set to continue to express concerns and ask questions about issues that matter to him, such as the future of farming and the environment, partly because he believes he has a duty to relay public opinion to those in power.

After watching Charles passionately speak about the various issues he care about and the people who has greatly benefited from his charitable trust and other organizations he's involved with, I get the feeling he will be a "hands on" king.

Judging from the past, Charles was pretty much frustrated and sad when his thoughts and feelings on certain subjects wasn't being listened to. Now, many of his views on certain subjects are being listened to and being debated worldwide. The future king Charles won't be a happy camper if he's forced to shut up and sit still when there are issues that needs to be addressed.

People who fear Charles speaking out only fear what he has to say, might not be what they want to hear. If politicians think that's meddling then they have no minds of their own.

There is a strange concept that the Monarch must remain silent on issues. Just because The Queen has chosen to reign that way doesn't mean Charles has to. being a constitutional monarchy doesn't mean the monarch can't air their views it is just that their power is limited.

The reason politicians are so divisive is because they make their views and policies known. We can vote them in or out of office based on whether we agree with their views.

Once we have a monarch making their views known they become divisive. If you agree with a particular opinion then its no problem but if the king or queen says something you don't agree with it becomes an issue and we don't get to vote on our kings and queens.

Its a very fine line Charles will need to walk.

:previous: I agree 100%

Today he has spoken out against the violence and intolerance facing Christians in parts of the Middle East. This is right.

He isn't taking sides as such because what he is promoting is religious tolerance.

How can anyone say that is wrong?

Think of the tragedies that could have been avoided in the past if people with some influence had spoken out.

Prince Charles knows what he's doing, and he never takes sides in political issues. He is not divisive at all.

The reason politicians are so divisive is because they make their views and policies known. We can vote them in or out of office based on whether we agree with their views.

Once we have a monarch making their views known they become divisive. If you agree with a particular opinion then its no problem but if the king or queen says something you don't agree with it becomes an issue and we don't get to vote on our kings and queens.

Its a very fine line Charles will need to walk.

One I am not at all sure he will manage to keep too, IMHO.

Prince Charles knows what he's doing, and he never takes sides in political issues. He is not divisive at all.

hahahahhahahahahahah. I am assuming you are being satirical as he famously takes sides in political and divisive issues. Shall I list them?

I also think that Charles will be a very hands on king too. I think he will do it in a way that will be within the boundaries of how a monarch does meet with the PM and "suggest and advise". Charles is too ingrained with the duties and responsibilities of the monarch to not know where the lines are that he cannot cross. He will be very much on top of things and intelligently voice his thoughts but in the proper, acceptable manner.

Yes, I'd also like to know what political issues the Prince of Wales has famously taken sides in. Has he ever publicly spoke against a policy of one of the Queen's governments?

Yes, I'd also like to know what political issues the Prince of Wales has famously taken sides in. Has he ever publicly spoke against a policy of one of the Queen's governments?
I don't think he ever has spoken out against goverment policy. He has given his opinion on issues but has been very careful not criticise the goverment. :)

I also think that Charles will be a very hands on king too. I think he will do it in a way that will be within the boundaries of how a monarch does meet with the PM and "suggest and advise". Charles is too ingrained with the duties and responsibilities of the monarch to not know where the lines are that he cannot cross. He will be very much on top of things and intelligently voice his thoughts but in the proper, acceptable manner.

Very much agree with you, PC has had a lifetime in training and watching from the side lines, he is going to do a remarkable job when he is king. He has learned how to get his message across without making others feel like he is imposing on them. PC is one very strong intelligent decisive man and I don't think we have seen his full character come to light yet...

BBC News - Prince Charles as king: What type of monarch will he be?
When Prince Charles accedes to the throne, reports say he will make "heartfelt interventions" in national life, a contrast to his mother's "taciturn discretion on public affairs". What will Charles III be like as king?

Not so long ago, there was a new buzz word in royal circles. Transition. Tentatively, without fanfare, plans were put in place so that Prince Charles could take on more of his octogenarian mother's workload.

The prince, who's waited a lifetime to fulfil his destiny, had a taste of his future when he represented the Queen at last year's Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Sri Lanka. And three separate royal press offices were brought together under one (large) roof at Buckingham Palace. The aim was for royal communications to sing from one regal hymn sheet in preparation for when a new reign began.

They're no longer together. It was a short-lived experiment. Those who craft Charles's image are back at his London residence, Clarence House, focusing just on his needs. The word transition doesn't slip as easily off royal tongues anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom