The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Queen Camilla is likely to be Crowned using the late Queen Mothers crown, and IF she becomes merely Princess Consort she will wear the circlet from that crown to the Abbey.I think Catherine will also use the same crown when she is crowned.
If Queen Camilla is still alive at that time she may well wear the circlet from Queen Mary's crown [which is a wonderful, elegant thing]

Camilla has wonderful diadem-hair, when nicely brushed and coiffed. She has the perfect face and hairdo to wear the biggest diadems with aplomb. I think that George IV's State Diadem, the most beautiful diadem around (in my humble opinion) will look terrific on her.

Pic: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02263/queensdiamonds_2263163c.jpg

Camilla has wonderful diadem-hair, when nicely brushed and coiffed. She has the perfect face and hairdo to wear the biggest diadems with aplomb. I think that George IV's State Diadem, the most beautiful diadem around (in my humble opinion) will look terrific on her.

Pic: http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02263/queensdiamonds_2263163c.jpg

I agree - this image of the future is totally yummy and I am looking forward to it. While I doubt Charles' reign will have more tiara events, it will be great fun to see the Duchess fulfilling that part of her role.

I agree - this image of the future is totally yummy and I am looking forward to it. While I doubt Charles' reign will have more tiara events, it will be great fun to see the Duchess fulfilling that part of her role.

I don't know, Charles is pretty old school and love regalia events. He may bring that sparkle back to the royal family.

I think Camilla and Catherine will carry on the tradition of wearing the George IV State Diadem at the State Opening of Parliament.

Martin @CourtierUK · 2m
For those following the Camilla, Princess Consort saga (which is still ongoing), Clarence House tell me it is still the firm intention...

Martin @CourtierUK · 56s
…Camilla will be known as Princess Consort. On titles they said Camilla’s titles are "listed on website" & 'Pss of Wales is not one of them’

No matter what her title is, I hope people will continue to respect Camilla's dedication to Charles and the Monarchy.

Last edited:
Martin @CourtierUK · 2m
For those following the Camilla, Princess Consort saga (which is still ongoing), Clarence House tell me it is still the firm intention...

Martin @CourtierUK · 56s
…Camilla will be known as Princess Consort. On titles they said Camilla’s titles are "listed on website" & 'Pss of Wales is not one of them’

No matter what her title is, I hope people will continue to respect Camilla's dedication to Charles and the Monarchy.

There has to be a mistake or misunderstanding somewhere I think. As Camilla is married to The Prince of Wales, she most certainly is The Princess of Wales.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless Camilla and Charles managed to sneak in a morganatic marriage without us realizing it at the time.

There has to be a mistake or misunderstanding somewhere I think. As Camilla is married to The Prince of Wales, she most certainly is The Princess of Wales.

That's what I thought. I thought she's legally The Princess of Wales but it's not a title she officially go by. Both official websites has never mentioned her as the current Princess of Wales though.

I don't think that title will be used until Charles is on the throne and decide to invest William with the title, The Prince of Wales; which Catherine will go on to hold the title, HRH The Princess of Wales.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Unless Camilla and Charles managed to sneak in a morganatic marriage without us realizing it at the time.

But in that case she wouldn't be Duchess of Cornwall also, right? And I thought that morganatic marriages did no exist in the UK.

I wish Clarence House would stop fuelling this mess with her titles.

But in that case she wouldn't be Duchess of Cornwall also, right? And I thought that morganatic marriages did no exist in the UK.

I wish Clarence House would stop fuelling this mess with her titles.

They don't. That's the issue.

If she doesn't hold his highest title - Princess of Wales - then it's implied that this is not an equal marriage, it's morganatic.

If she holds his highest title but choses to use a lesser title then it is an equal marriage, albeit an unusual one in terms of titles.

According to both royal.gov.uk and princeofwales.gov.uk (autocorrect had that as prince offals for a moment) Camilla chose to use the title Duchess of Cornwall. It says nothing about the Princess of Wales title.

Morganatic marriages simply do not exist in British law - a wife takes the legal rank of her husband. In cases [such as this], where the husband has more than one title is is USUAL for the wife [and husband] to use the most senior. But out of [imo misplaced] consideration to public opinion, Camilla chose to utilise the lesser title of Duchess of Cornwall. Despite this she is legally, and legitimately HRH the Princess of Wales.

So why is Charles/Clarence House sticking to this line? There must be more to it than just PR or they would have dropped it by now.

Possibly [I fear], because the lady herself really doesn't want to be titled Queen ?

I hope Charles has good people around him and he's getting the best advice possible... the last thing the monarchy needs is a constitutional hiccup when his reign begins.

Possibly [I fear], because the lady herself really doesn't want to be titled Queen ?

This could well be the reason, maybe Camilla doesn't want the title of Queen for what ever reason.
I was reading about Philip and his titles the other day and he was made a Prince of The United Kingdom through the Queen issuing letters patent so I imagine that's the most Charles as King would need to do for Camilla to have the title.
Its still just my opinion but I doubt (and hope for future wives of Kings) that Camilla will have the title Queen stripped from her by law rather she will just not use it.

In Royalty magazine, it was declared:

As king Charles will bring a very different and in a very more political agenda to the role of monarchy than any of his predecessors.

That may pose a problem, especially in some of the Commonwealth countries that may become republics for one of many reasons.

In Royalty magazine, it was declared:

As king Charles will bring a very different and in a very more political agenda to the role of monarchy than any of his predecessors.

He will indeed be a very different King. If Charles isn't allowed to express himself on what he's passionate about, I think, he will be a very frustrated King and I just don't think that will lead to anything good.

He will be able to express himself - just as his mother does now. He won't be allowed to express himself publicly - that is the difference. His voice will be heard and he will have more of a say.

With Charles as king, I can see him downsizing the working family to just his own family and his siblings. But it may also be feasible for his siblings to retire too. If the new King and Queen, Prince and Princess of Wales, and Harry and wife do 500 engagements each, then that would be a sufficient number to keep the public happy. Plus the duchy of Lancaster would only have to support 2 extra royals, rather than the current 8.

Last edited:
With Charles as king, I can see him down sizing the working family to just his own family and his siblings. But it may also be feasible for his siblings to retire too. If the new King and Queen, Prince and Princess of Wales, and Harry and wife do 500 engagements each, then that would be a sufficient number to keep the public happy. Plus the duchy of Lancaster would only have to support 2 extra royals, rather than the current 8.

Charles's siblings most likely won't retire but probably won't be so present as they are now.

:previous: I don't think we can take anything for granted, especially the relationship between siblings. A perfect example is Prince Laurent of Belgium. Here was someone visibly estranged from his parents, his siblings and the demands of royal life but, with the ascension of his brother Philippe, suddenly he is the "go to" guy. He has Philippe's back just as Philipe has his. He is in a position that no one could have imagined possible.

Now we know Charles has adult sons but that is not the same as having siblings and I would be very surprised if they all suddenly faded into the wallpaper.

The BRF all believe in service and support for charities and the military in particular. It is going to carry on what it has been doing for the past 100 yrs. They dont live in each others pockets and some posters seem to think that this means they dont like eachother. I dont agree with this view. they are siblings with different interests who dont live close to each other adn whose life of duty is not a 9-5, M-F life.

I dont see any dynamic change. I see efficiencies in operations at BP and a reduction in the need for King Charles to use his own money to pay for royal duties. As the older members die, they wont be replaced. So organic change

With Charles as king, I can see him downsizing the working family to just his own family and his siblings. But it may also be feasible for his siblings to retire too. If the new King and Queen, Prince and Princess of Wales, and Harry and wife do 500 engagements each, then that would be a sufficient number to keep the public happy. Plus the duchy of Lancaster would only have to support 2 extra royals, rather than the current 8.

Harry has already indicated that he wants to stay in the army until 55 or so - or for another 25 years - so he won't be on the full-time roster for a quarter of a century.

He may also never marry. He does appear to have trouble finding a woman who wants to stay with him for very long, as other than Chelsy, his relationships barely last a year or so, so it is possible he may never marry. If he does why should his wife have to give up her life to support his family while he continues in the army anyway? Kate didn't have a career to give up as she hadn't ever started actually working but surely Harry's wife, if he finds one, will be a woman who has had to work for a decade or more and thus has a career of her own.

There is no way Camilla will do 500 in a year - she has never done it and as she is approaching 70 now will never be expected to do so.

It is normal for royals, from around 70, to begin to slow down a bit (The Queen was over 600 regularly in her 60s but around 400 ever since she turned 70 or so)

400 would be the maximum you could expect from the royals in their 70s -and that would be the monarch and spouse and heir and spouse only if over 70.

10 years from now Anne will also be in her mid-70s so would also be slowing down.

Andrew, Edward and Sophie won't be increasing their numbers from around 300 to 500 as they move further from the throne.

William and Kate will have to be at around 900 or so a year to maintain the current numbers of around 4000 as Harry will be limited to around 100 as a full-time officer in the army and as he becomes increasingly irrelevant (as Andrew is now) it would make more sense to let him stay in the army for as long as possible so that he doesn't end up like Andrew - despised and seen as a waste of space as the next generation become the focus of the nation's attention (it is what happened with Margaret and Andrew and the only reason it didn't happen to the two previous generations was that Edward VIII didn't marry and have children so his 2nd brother remained relevant - but his younger brothers - particularly the Duke of Gloucester was despised as the years went on) and the same with Victoria's younger sons.

There are two people being overlooked during Charles' reign.

George and his sibling. George can begin performing royal duties in his teens. He does not have to attend college. The lack of higher education has not been a hindrance for the Queen nor Princess Anne. Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra also began working for the firm as teenagers.

If George was interested in pursuing his education, he can attend classes online. Technology is advancing where you can take classes from anywhere in the world at your convenience. He and his sibling can be full time royals while attending college online.

If George was interested in pursuing his education, he can attend classes online. Technology is advancing where you can take classes from anywhere in the world at your convenience. He and his sibling can be full time royals while attending college online.

Why should George & sibling have to sacrifice their education especially in the 21st century when it is more accessible than it was when the Queen & Princess Anne were 18.

Distance education isn't for everyone. Some students (me) benefit from attending lectures & having greater interaction with lecturers than is possible online.

University also serves a social function. It will allow the young royals to mix with a far greater range of society than they will get at school (assuming they will go to public school rather than the local comprehensive).

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

If George doesn't go college, he will join the military like almost every male member of his family has. His parents would probably encourage him to go to college since that were they met. Once William is Duke of Cornwall, he is financially independent of his father and considering that William and Harry were allowed to explore their own pursuits outside a royal life, William would let his own children do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I see a pattern here.

William doesn't need to work until he is Duke of Cornwall and has access to the income from the duchy. His son doesn't need to work until he is Duke of Cornwall and has access to the income from the duchy.

Princess Anne worked for the firm since age 18 but never received a duchy's income. She was not granted an additional title until 20 years of service to the firm.

Princess Anne is considered a 'minor' royal by those that consider William a senior royal. A senior royal who doesn't need to work until he is promoted to Duke of Cornwall.

Princess Alexandra worked for the firm since age 15 but is considered a 'minor' royal.

The 'minor' royals work for the firm for decades without the recognition but the 'senior' royals are not expected to work unless they are giving titles and access to millions of pounds of income from the duchy.

Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra are referred as 'minor' royal by those that insist that William should remain part time.

No, it about not forcing a teenager to be a full time royal. If the Cambridge children want to go to university, they should be allowed to do so. Princess Anne wasn't a full time royal as a teenager. She did her equestrian as a young woman.

Also going into the military isn't doing nothing. George is a future head of the armed forces. He is going to grow up surrounded by the military. He and his future brothers are most likely going to spend time in uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The vast majority of comments in this thread are based on 2 assumptions:

*that Charles wants to slim down the monarchy and that some Royals will made or encouraged to 'retire' when Charles become King

*that the number of engagements carried out by the royals needs to be maintained for the monarchy to be functional

But why? Would the monarchy really come to a crashing halt if half the number or engagements were carried out? I doubt for example the media would notice except when they produce league tables of the number of engagements carried out.
Apart from a few comments by some 'unnamed source' why do people assume Charles wants to his family to retire. In time the main RF will become naturally smaller as Charles has two sons to the Queen's 4 children.

JMO.
The person that benefits the most from the firm should work the most for the firm. No one should be 'forced' to work for their future. It should be something that they aspire to do on their own without having to wait until they are handed the keys to the kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom