The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that Clarence House more or less shot itself in the foot back in 2005 by claiming that Camilla WILL BE styled Princess Consort. Bet they quite regret this unnecessary PR move right now.

But Charles has been interviewed since, not ruling it out

Yep wait and see but still, from the POW website :

Will The Duchess become Queen when The Prince becomes King?

As was explained at the time of their wedding in April 2005, it is intended that The Duchess will be known as HRH The Princess Consort when The Prince of Wales accedes to The Throne.

FAQs

Of course we can play with the word "intended" ...

Last edited:
My thinking is if Camilla is going to perform the duties of a Queen Consort then she should be titled as such. It would be a different story if she wanted not to do royal duties and retire to private life sort of like the Duchess of Kent did.

I don't understand the thought process of taking a lesser title but doing the job of the Queen. It's not like Charles is going to put his wife behind his sister or daughter in law in the order of precedence. In hindsight, maybe it would have been better for CH to not to made a statement regarding Camilla's title when Charles became King . Say we will see in the future.

The problem is that Clarence House more or less shot itself in the foot back in 2005 by claiming that Camilla WILL BE styled Princess Consort. Bet they quite regret this unnecessary PR move right now.
I agree, but it was a very difficult time for the Palace, Clarence house.

But it wasn't will be but intends so there is wiggle room. At the time of the wedding, the PR team was busy trying to reinforce that Charles could remarry and retain his rights to the throne.

Oh Charles, you are a man of contradictions ...

Times change and views change with them. The recent opinion poll shows that. Why can't Charles change his standpoint. I do, you do - why can't he?

Enough of tablets of stone. People and opinions change - good thing IMO

Times change and views change with them. The recent opinion poll shows that. Why can't Charles change his standpoint. I do, you do - why can't he?

Enough of tablets of stone. People and opinions change - good thing IMO

Oh i fully agree with you ! And believe me i'm more than happy to see such polls about the Duchess of Cornwall.
I'm just a bit worried about this little contradiction (ok not the first) from CH and the risk to see the POW accused of lying in the first place about the future title of his wife (and yes i'm talking to you Daily Mail).

I wonder if they are hoping that when the fateful day comes they can sweep it under the carpet.

I wonder if they are hoping that when the fateful day comes they can sweep it under the carpet.

When the day dawns, we will be thinking about the loss of the Queen first and foremost. And he will automatically be King and with (hopefully) no statement from BP, Camilla will be called HMQ Consort. unravelling is so much harder than ravelling (erm? is there such a word, is it like gruntled? - need to find dictionary...! :flowers:)

Camilla has had one very big redeeming quality about her that finally made me take a hard look at why I disliked her so much over the years because of the time of Diana, Charles and her......she loves dogs. To me that is a big thing, when you love a dog, you show you are capable of loving yourself and if you can't love yourself then you can't love anybody. She has rescued dogs and brought them into her home.......now that is a huge 10 stars to her. l love dogs, cats, lions and all other animals on this earth.

That was a big part of my turnaround in attitude as well! Also last year I read about how she arranged to have female rape survivors be given gift bags of luxury toiletries. In her conversations with them she had been struck by how many times they described how "dirty" they felt after being violated, and how they felt they would never be clean again.

Not only was the gesture a practical one, but it was imaginative and thoughtful. Only someone with a very generous, sensitive nature could have come up with something like that, imo.

I think Camilla should be Princess Consort or Queen when that time comes and yes times have changed and the peoples opinions have changed but I think a great deal of that change in opinions was due to very smart PR moves from the palace and Charles's Mark Bolland camp. They're spin was pretty successful and things turned out alright, IMO.

The most important news is the change in public opinion in than less than 6 months.

June 2014
53% for Queen Consort and 32% for Princess Consort

January 2014
17% for Queen Consort and 46% for Princess Consort

The monarchy is there to serve the people and the people want her as Queen Consort.

Then again... Charles and Camilla could totally throw us all for a loop and announce that they will be known as King Fred and Queen Gladys. :ROFLMAO:

No matter what Camilla's title will be when Charles becomes King, its become very obvious that she is not the type of a person that will moan and groan over what she can and cannot be called. I don't think things like that really are her topmost priority. Her priorities are first of all, Charles the man, and after that supporting his role in life, his family and their country to the best of her ability. She's done a tremendous job so far and does it with style and grace and sometimes a wicked sense of humor.

The most important news is the change in public opinion in than less than 6 months.

June 2014
53% for Queen Consort and 32% for Princess Consort

January 2014
17% for Queen Consort and 46% for Princess Consort

The monarchy is there to serve the people and the people want her as Queen Consort.

I wonder what has brought about such a dramatic change in such a short time? I am delighted it's happened, but I cannot identify a particular factor or event which is likely to have changed the minds of so many or caused a large number of "undecided" folk to decide in favour of Queen Consort. Camilla has been quietly going about her job for several years now, and slowly and steadily gaining support, but this is a big jump. Can anyone identify something in particular?

Roslyn-

I don't think it's any one thing. As you said Camilla has been quietly and steadily going about her job. Time is a great healer, and over the past 15 years enough (unbiased) information on the so called War of the Wales has been brought to light that everyone except the most stubborn person now realizes that there was enough blame for the tragedy to go around. Charles, Diana, the press...Camilla was not the evil sinister witch waiting in the background to collect the spoils of victory as I originally believed.

The truth was sadder and far more complicated than that.

I wish to God none of it ever happened but it did, and (most)everyone has moved on.

But I also have to agree with Dman. Charles and Camilla had a very talented and formidable public relations team.

Last edited:
It think it is more the case of Camilla's actions changing the minds of the undecided and those who were against her to being for Camilla.

:previous: I agree that Camilla wonderfully going about her job over the years helped changed minds and opinions but I think the major push behind the change was those who worked behind the scenes to get Camilla accepted by the people and for the people to want her to be crowned next to Charles are the palace PR teams and the Mark Bolland crew. They worked their tails off to get things were they are today and the Queen & Prince Philip, William & Harry and royal family took it all in their stride and have embraced her.

I totally respect that Camilla haven't gone in to take Diana's place and went for the secondary title out of respect for Diana and the people. It may have been a PR move but I think it was a brilliant move.

It may only be for a short time but I think Camilla will be a great consort.

The polls were taken in January 2014 (17%) and June 2014 (53%).

It has nothing to do with Mark Bolland or PR or William nor Harry.

The jump was because of Camilla's support to her husband & her charities.

^^^ That's a very large jump in five months though, and many years after Mark Bolland's campaign and I think that the positive effect of William & Harry's acceptance has long settled down too. Camilla's own actions and dedicated work for her charities and in support of Charles have spoken for themselves for some time now, hence my wondering whether there was anything specific that's happened during the first half of this year. I can't think of anything specific.

If William and Harry didn't accept her initially. It would have been very hard for Camilla to gain acceptance. Because the boys were okay with her, it allowed the public to be too because if Diana's son didn't hate her, the public really shouldn't either.

Altho' the British public seems to have accepted that Camilla WILL become Queen on her husbands accession, if you look at the comments on photos of her on the Facebook 'British Monarchy', and British Monarchist League' pages, the outpouring of bile against her is still really quite shocking !

It is interesting tho' that most of this enmity come from countries not connected to the British Monarchy, [principally from the United States, and South America]. I can only assume because St Diana is prectically WORSHIPPED in those countries ?

Fortunately public opinion in Britain and the other Realms and territories is ALL that matters....

Altho' the British public seems to have accepted that Camilla WILL become Queen on her husbands accession, if you look at the comments on photos of her on the Facebook 'British Monarchy', and British Monarchist League' pages, the outpouring of bile against her is still really quite shocking !

It is interesting tho' that most of this enmity come from countries not connected to the British Monarchy, [principally from the United States, and South America]. I can only assume because St Diana is prectically WORSHIPPED in those countries ?

Fortunately public opinion in Britain and the other Realms and territories is ALL that matters....

Sadly Camilla is not the only one. Every royal gets digital poison, vomit, vitriol and filth in those anonymous online comments' sections. Everyone. No matter it is William, Harry, Camilla, Charles or Catherine. Even the Queen can count on "her portion" of digital diarrhoea, despite moderation by newspapers as the Daily Mail.

:ermm:

I wonder what has brought about such a dramatic change in such a short time? I am delighted it's happened, but I cannot identify a particular factor or event which is likely to have changed the minds of so many or caused a large number of "undecided" folk to decide in favour of Queen Consort. Camilla has been quietly going about her job for several years now, and slowly and steadily gaining support, but this is a big jump. Can anyone identify something in particular?

The most likely reason for the change is simply that the question is worded differently. Usually, when there is such a dramatic change in public opinion in a very short time (with nothing occurring to cause that change), that's the reason.

Of course, that doesn't mean Camilla won't be queen consort on the queen's death.

Just as an aside, even if Cams couldn't take the title of princess consort as there is no precedence, and that title isn't among the titles she will gain as wife of Charles, couldn't she take the title of duchess of Lancaster? There is precedence (her own decision to be called doc), and it is among her titles.

Perhaps the reason princess consort was chosen as a potential title is simply that the palace COULD make just this argument (there is no precedence for a queen to be called by a title she doesn't have) while conveniently ignoring the fact that there are perfectly suitable titles she could use. If this is the case, then it is indeed a brilliant pr move.

In the YouGov article that accompanied the poll results, they speculate that seeing Camilla in Normandy with Charles for D-Day, or at the State Opening of Parliament in her tiara etc, has led more people to see her as a potential Queen, rather than just Charles's wife. With Charles taking on more of HM's responsibilities and watching Camilla assist him in that, people just think that it's natural that the wife of the King is the Queen.

Plus, it doesn't hurt that people are starting to appreciate Charles more than they used to, which likely feeds into a greater appreciation for Camilla also.

I think it is a sum of various little parts. Camilla seems not to be the Rottweiller the media once depicted. Camilla has become more prominent in royal events. Camilla does major public appearances with a lot of natural panache and in great style. Camilla seems goodnatured and approachable.

Sometimes small details can make a whole world. On April 29th 2013 the Duchess impressed the Dutch watching live TV by her glorious appearance for the Queen's Farewell Banquet in the Rijksmuseum. They saw an elegantly dressed Duchess, with sparkling jewels, admiring the stunning surroundings and interacting most charming with the other guests.

On April 30th 2014 the Dutch learned from media that -before the Investiture- the Duchess of Cornwall left the Amstel Grand Hotel for a stroll through Amsterdam. People in the street could not believe it was Camilla, walking there in the streets and were flabbergasted when she bought a little orange hat from a street vendor and started to chat with Amsterdamers passing by. Her approval went up in turbo mode, Camilla has conquered Amsterdam.

:flowers:

'We love your Princess Camilla!': Dutch party tell how they bumped into Camilla and her new orange hat on streets of Amsterdam | Mail Online

I think it is a sum of various little parts. Camilla seems not to be the Rottweiller the media once depicted. Camilla has become more prominent in royal events. Camilla does major public appearances with a lot of natural panache and in great style. Camilla seems goodnatured and approachable.

Sometimes small details can make a whole world. On April 29th 2013 the Duchess impressed the Dutch watching live TV by her glorious appearance for the Queen's Farewell Banquet in the Rijksmuseum. They saw an elegantly dressed Duchess, with sparkling jewels, admiring the stunning surroundings and interacting most charming with the other guests.

On April 30th 2014 the Dutch learned from media that -before the Investiture- the Duchess of Cornwall left the Amstel Grand Hotel for a stroll through Amsterdam. People in the street could not believe it was Camilla, walking there in the streets and were flabbergasted when she bought a little orange hat from a street vendor and started to chat with Amsterdamers passing by. Her approval went up in turbo mode, Camilla has conquered Amsterdam.

:flowers:

'We love your Princess Camilla!': Dutch party tell how they bumped into Camilla and her new orange hat on streets of Amsterdam | Mail Online

I remember her doing that too. I think there's been several times that Camilla and Charles (or sometimes just Camilla) just happen to show up somewhere to enjoy where they are. IIRC, there was one occasion during the Diamond Jubilee celebrations that they did this. It makes them seem more in touch with the people and more approachable I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom