The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Ballet and abseiling down The Shard! What a wonderfully glorious royal dichotomy. In a nutshell no less.

I don't believe any of the charities are fluff. Without royal support we would never hear of these many organisations who do good work in the community and would love to do more if only they could be noticed by the philanthropic types and big business who make large donations. With a royal in attendance these smaller charities at least have a chance of getting noticed. Some might consider them as Fluff but I bet there are many hardworking people and volunteers helping out with long hours which isn't Fluff. Charitable organistations are carefully vetted by the palace before adding them to the list.

Ive already posted this under Charles current events but given the lively discussion today

Its a report about an interview and it covers

Charles becoming King
Charles and his boys
His boys and the media

and......Camilla becoming Queen

EDIT - OLD INTERVIEW - but the BBC has re-issued it - presumably to restart the debate

BBC News - Prince Charles says Camilla 'may become Queen'

Mods - Ive posted this in 2 places - thats it. Up to you if there is a problem

Last edited:
One person's fluff is another person's livelihood.

As the royals are supposed to represent all Brits they should engage with all Brits and so Anne enjoys her lighthouses as much as she works for Save the Children, Andrew goes to the ballet (yes Andrew and the ballet) as well as climbs down buildings like The Shard for Outward Bound.
Andrew and the ballet and here I was thinking that the royals werent interested in the classical arts. I find that very pleasing.

Andrew and the ballet and here I was thinking that the royals werent interested in the classical arts. I find that very pleasing.

When I think of the BRF and the fine arts, the first person that comes to my mind is Charles. Charles loves classical music and opera too if I'm not mistaken. He's also a very fine watercolor artist and some of his work is simply amazing. It was Charles who working in collaboration with Kate to select the musical pieces that were used at the Cambridge's wedding.

Somewhere here on these forums is also a watercolor that was painted by the DoE of the family at the breakfast table.

Andrew took over the ballet when Margaret died. I remember reading about him going to an event there and they interviewed one of the people in charge of the ballet who said that Andrew didn't only lend his name and attend public performances but he would often come to rehearsals etc and that he knew the dancers etc.

As for watercolourists - Prince Philip also is into water colours.

Andrew is also a photographer - of enough quality to have some of his pictures of his mother put on display alongside professionals in a formal display in 2002 at Windsor Castle (there were 50 photos chosen to show all facets of The Queen as part of the Golden Jubilee and that was the display at Windsor Castle) Andrew's photos didn't look out of place beside those professionals.

fyi Sandringham had a display of the Christmas Cards that The Queen and Philip had sent over the 50 years in 2002.

I had a lengthy tour of the UK that year and visited every royal home, except Balmoral, and all of the had a Golden Jubilee display.

Last edited:
In The Royals, Kitty Kelley wrote:

"Charles is unfit to be king," declared the Labor MP Ron Davies on television. "He spends time talking to trees, flowers, and vegetables." :thistle::thistle::thistle:

Charles may have worked with flowers and vegetables, but he does know that a monarch has duties.
Oh good grief, Catty Kitty Kelly strikes again! Well, that was a very, very, very old quote. It came from way, way back when Charles was just hitting his stride in orgainic and sustainable farming, building up the Duchy of Cornwall and his estate, Highgrove as a template.

During an interview when the topic of his "gardening" was patronisingly raised, he replied very seriously that he spoke to his cabbages to make them happy and grow, or words to that effect. He was also taking the p*** and it went right over the journo's head.

Unfortunately it took on a life of it's own andhas been raised quite frequently in different situaltions. Charles still chooses to laugh at himself rather than bite when it is raised.

Catty Kitty Kelly was and is, needless to say, frugal with the truth. And for her style of writing it is hardly surprising. She never ever let's the truth get in the way of a good "story".

I truely believe CyrilVladisla, that a new, up to date and preferably creditable reference source might be in order.

Last edited:
When I think of the BRF and the fine arts, the first person that comes to my mind is Charles. Charles loves classical music and opera too if I'm not mistaken. He's also a very fine watercolor artist and some of his work is simply amazing. It was Charles who working in collaboration with Kate to select the musical pieces that were used at the Cambridge's wedding.

Somewhere here on these forums is also a watercolor that was painted by the DoE of the family at the breakfast table.
I knew
I knew about charles artwork and admire them. I just never knew about abdrew and the ballet. Unfortunaly the media tends to give the impression that the royals are all 'horsey' without any culture. Part of the mockery that occurs from sections of the media is to make them look like clods.

One change under the monarchy will be the flowers at Sandringham.

I don't think King Charles will be collecting the flowers.
(Kate & Camilla will still pick up some and maybe other female members but I very much doubt Charles will be standing at the door receiving flowers.

The flowers will go to the women of course so it will be Camilla as Charles' wife and consort who will be receiving the flowers and then Kate and then George's wife etc.

Brits Want Camilla as Queen Consort if Prince Charles Succeeds Queen Elizabeth

Most Britains support Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, becoming queen consort if her husband Prince Charles succeeds his mother, Queen Elizabeth, to the throne.

A poll by YouGov found most people favour Camilla assuming the official title rather than take on a lesser title like Princess Diana did when she became the Princess of Wales.

The survey revealed 53 percent of respondents want the duchess to take on the traditional role while 32 percent prefer she takes a lesser one, "out of sensitivity to Diana, the Princess of Wales".

Brits Want Camilla as Queen Consort if Prince Charles Succeeds Queen Elizabeth

Most Britains support Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, becoming queen consort if her husband Prince Charles succeeds his mother, Queen Elizabeth, to the throne.

A poll by YouGov found most people favour Camilla assuming the official title rather than take on a lesser title like Princess Diana did when she became the Princess of Wales.

The survey revealed 53 percent of respondents want the duchess to take on the traditional role while 32 percent prefer she takes a lesser one, "out of sensitivity to Diana, the Princess of Wales".

Sounds pretty sensible. After all, has the wife of the King not always been the Queen?

I think it's perfectly fine if Camilla becomes HRH The Princess Consort or Her Majesty The Queen upon Charles's succession.

Just curious here. What lesser title did Diana take when she became Princess of Wales? To my knowledge she always used The Princess of Wales.

Just curious here. What lesser title did Diana take when she became Princess of Wales? To my knowledge she always used The Princess of Wales.

IT means that Camilla should take a lesser title out of deference to Diana.

:previous: precisely. Royal titles do not belong to individual royals.

I'm looking forward to Catherine being Duchess of Cornwall. That will confuse lots of people! :lol:

There is NO provision in British law for Camilla to take a lesser title. A married woman takes the rank and style of her husband. {for the wife of a King, that style is Queen.}

It would require Parliament to pass legislation to change this ancient law and that would necessarily affect the position of ALL married women [if ithe legislation was restricted to Camilla only it would undoubtedly be challenged under the Human rights act.]

Unless the new law is passed by Parliament before the present Queens demise it would mean demoting and publicly humiliating the new Kings wife during the period of intense mourning following the Queens death.

I cannot conceive of a government [of any colour] that would dare attempt such an insult to the Prince of Wales, and to the Royal Family.

Last edited:
We'll see what will happen once that day comes and Charles come to the throne. It's going to one headache for many involved and the British and world's press is going to have a good time too.

I liked the late Diana Princess of Wales, and I miss her. She would have been a tremendous queen.

But she is dead. She isn't coming back, she will never be queen.

To deny Camilla what is rightfully hers under British law "out of sensitivity to Diana" is unfair and bordering on irrational. As someone else correctly pointed out the titles are not the personal property of the people who use them.

Camilla has conducted herself as Charle's wife in a way that I feel is beyond reproach and I say this as someone who has not always spoken well of her. She has done everything possible both to maintain a dignified image as a member of the BRF and build a role of her own within it without trying to "out Diana" the late princess.

It's time to let go and give Camilla a break. I think Diana would be the first to agree.

I liked the late Diana Princess of Wales, and I miss her. She would have been a tremendous queen.

But she is dead. She isn't coming back, she will never be queen.

To deny Camilla what is rightfully hers under British law "out of sensitivity to Diana" is unfair and bordering on irrational. As someone else correctly pointed out the titles are not the personal property of the people who use them.

Camilla has conducted herself as Charle's wife in a way that I feel is beyond reproach and I say this as someone who has not always spoken well of her. She has done everything possible both to maintain a dignified image as a member of the BRF and build a role of her own within it without trying to "out Diana" the late princess.

It's time to let go and give Camilla a break. I think Diana would be the first to agree.

Great comment and I totally agree. I actually think if she prefer to be called HRH The Princess Consort then I think it should be granted to her. If none of that matters and she's called Her Majesty The Queen upon Charles's succession, then so be it.

I just think it's going to be an interesting time for Camilla, Charles and the royal family once that day arrives.

We have come a long way, to say the least. But still i think we have to leave to Camilla how she wants to be styled. Of course she will be "De jure" Queen Consort but if she wants to be called "Princess Consort" for some obvious reasons that's fine with me.

There is NO provision in British law for Camilla to take a lesser title. A married woman takes the rank and style of her husband. {for the wife of a King, that style is Queen.}

It would require Parliament to pass legislation to change this ancient law and that would necessarily affect the position of ALL married women [if ithe legislation was restricted to Camilla only it would undoubtedly be challenged under the Human rights act.]

Unless the new law is passed by Parliament before the present Queens demise it would mean demoting and publicly humiliating the new Kings wife during the period of intense mourning following the Queens death.

I cannot conceive of a government [of any colour] that would dare attempt such an insult to the Prince of Wales, and to the Royal Family.

I could well be wrong but I believe that carefully drafted legislation could provide for a situation where Camilla could choose to be known by a style and title other than Queen. If married women were expressly given the option of choosing to take the styles and titles to which they were entitled according to tradition by reason of their status as wives, or to use the styles and titles to which they are entitled as individuals, and to clearly state that they can have styles and titles as individuals quite separate from any to which they would traditionally be presumed to have taken as wives (i.e. to enable a queen to have another, seemingly lesser, title) I see no problem in that regard as far as human rights questions are concerned. If you are giving people more rights rather than taking them away, can it be a problem? This is a genuine question, for I do not know and am only making an assumption here.

I do, however, see a potential problem in that men could argue that the legislation is discriminating against them by not giving them the right to take the styles and titles of their wives on marriage. But since the legislation I envisage regarding women would not be giving them the right to take their husband's styles and titles but merely adding rights in addition to those which traditional law already provides, perhaps it wouldn't be a problem.

There are plenty of far greater legal minds than mine in the UK and I am confident that if a few of them got together they could come up with something that would achieve the desired outcome regarding Camilla without insulting or offending anyone.

Camilla has had one very big redeeming quality about her that finally made me take a hard look at why I disliked her so much over the years because of the time of Diana, Charles and her......she loves dogs. To me that is a big thing, when you love a dog, you show you are capable of loving yourself and if you can't love yourself then you can't love anybody. She has rescued dogs and brought them into her home.......now that is a huge 10 stars to her. l love dogs, cats, lions and all other animals on this earth.

if a few of them got together they could come up with something that would achieve the desired outcome
I sincerely hope these eminent legal bods have more important legal considerations to occupy their brilliant minds.

The 'desired outcome' [of denying Camilla her rights] is desired by a decreasing number of Diana diehards, who are unable to move-on.
There is no detectable groundswell of public opinion clamouring for this change. Even the press [traditionally the formentors of hate towards Camilla have noticeably mellowed in their tone].

My guess is that nothing will be done, and when the sad time comes the [time honoured] apparatus of the Accession will proceed, with Charles proclaimed at St James' with his wife, the new Queen at his side.
No government, nor political party will have the appetite to 'rock the boat', [as there are no votes in it], and they know a consensus would be impossible to achieve..

Last edited:
No one knows for sure what will happen about Camilla's title until the sad day HMQEII dies and Charles becomes King. Personally I suspect that in some way (and I'm no legal expert) a way will be found for Camilla to 'acquire' or use the title Princess Consort whilst legally being Queen. I can't see a situation where a parliament would strip the title Queen from Camilla withing months of HMQEIIs death and the longer she legal holds the title Queen the less chance there is of it been taken from her.
IMO she hasn't done anything that should mean she should be punished by having titles denied her, since she became a HRH she hasn't put a foot wrong.

The 'desired outcome' [of denying Camilla her rights]

I believe it is quite possible that Camilla would be happy to be "denied" this right. I would not be surprised if she truly wants to be Princess Consort or something else other than Queen, and if that's what she wants then I think that's how it should be. But if there was no public call for the change and it was only done because Camilla wanted it, she would be criticised for it.

:previous: a sensible, practical and realistic response. Issuing new legislation for one individual would make the UK Gov look ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom