The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just 17% want Camilla as Queen, according to the article. Not exactly a clamoring amongst the people!

@MartinRoyalUK: On whether Camilla will be Queen, Palace told me ‘Princess Consort’ still intended. Refused to comment on if it’d be through a change in law

What that article conveniently leaves out is how many people were asked.

:previous:
Queen consorts all around Europe and Camilla a mere Princess Consort. Man up Charles.

Last edited:
As 46 % accept Camilla as a future consort , i would say it's not so bad for the former most hated woman in UK ...
We have come a long way since 1997, and the polls are gradually progressing .

Last edited:
Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 2h
On whether Camilla will be Queen, Palace told me ‘Princess Consort’ still intended. Refused to comment on if it’d be through a change in law

It's a little ridiculous, isn't it? Camilla is going to be wife of the King and I most certainly think she has proved her worth as a royal in her function as Duchess of Cornwall, why on earth should she be denied the title of Queen Consort?

It's a little ridiculous, isn't it? Camilla is going to be wife of the King and I most certainly think she has proved her worth as a royal in her function as Duchess of Cornwall, why on earth should she be denied the title of Queen Consort?

I asked Richard Palmer at the Express about this and the response from the palace to him was that this is what she preferred.

If this is true, Charles has really lost the plot. Can someone explain this to me. The wife of a King is Queen, why would Charles want the government to mess around with the constitution and invent the title "Princess Consort" because it doesn't exist ?
If Camilla doesn't want to be Queen, why did she marry The Prince of Wales?

Because she was in love...
If this is true, Charles has really lost the plot. Can someone explain this to me. The wife of a King is Queen, why would Charles want the government to mess around with the constitution and invent the title "Princess Consort" because it doesn't exist ?

I think if she's going to be crowned Her Majesty The Queen next to Charles, then I so be it. If The Queen, Charles and Camilla agreed to the HRH The Princess Consort title, then I think it should be granted for Camilla to take on that title. No matter what, Camilla will be Charles's Consort and first lady of the land.

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 4h
Queen Camilla? The palace still insists she doesn't want the title and would support legislation making her Princess Consort in future.

Last edited:

It all goes back to when there was the debate/discussion and for some argument about them getting married. Back then she was blamed for all the problems in the War of the Wales (not going to discuss that here); and part of the negative press was "divorced woman can never be Queen". So Charles said at the time, and it is still on the PoW website that she would be called Princess Consort. All this debate about the health/state of HMQ and Charles being closer to being King has started this discussion again.

According to Richard Palmer (Royal REporter at Express - reliable), a few days ago he checked with CH staff and that's what they said.

I agree with you that she married him and the job and therefore will automatically become Queen. I dont think they can pick and choose. I understand that there will be some flack as and when it happens but they will have to live with it.

Unless they do something in advance, they will be taking away her title of Queen. Richard Palmer also said that any legislation (if required) would be just naming her.

Says loud and clear to the public that she is not good enough

Unbelievable.

It all goes back to when there was the debate/discussion and for some argument about them getting married. Back then she was blamed for all the problems in the War of the Wales (not going to discuss that here); and part of the negative press was "divorced woman can never be Queen". So Charles said at the time, and it is still on the PoW website that she would be called Princess Consort. All this debate about the health/state of HMQ and Charles being closer to being King has started this discussion again.

According to Richard Palmer (Royal REporter at Express - reliable), a few days ago he checked with CH staff and that's what they said.

I agree with you that she married him and the job and therefore will automatically become Queen. I dont think they can pick and choose. I understand that there will be some flack as and when it happens but they will have to live with it.

Unless they do something in advance, they will be taking away her title of Queen. Richard Palmer also said that any legislation (if required) would be just naming her.

Says loud and clear to the public that she is not good enough

Unbelievable.

I think if the "HRH The Princess Consort" title is what they all agreed on, I think it should be granted to Camilla. I think Camilla has proved that she don't need to be recognized by the grand titles to support Charles and carry out her royal role within the Monarchy, just my opinion of course.

Morocco has a reigning King and Princess Consort - King Mohammed VI and Princess Lalla Salma. Perhaps the British Royal Family is using their example.

If Camilla wants the title of Princess Consort, it should be legislated prior to Charles' ascension to the throne. Would she be known as HRH Princess Camilla of Great Britian? Or HRH The Princess Consort of Great Britian?

Last edited:
I think they will keep saying that its intended that she'll be Princess Consort until the big day, when she'll become Her Majesty The Queen and will stay as such.

Of course, the diantics will make a fuss, but that's their raison d'être: they are annoying people who are always making a fuss.

Mark my words: Queen Camilla wil go down in history as great a Queen (to everyone who disagrees with this statement, lets talk about that in 50 years time).

Morocco has a reigning King and Princess Consort - King Mohammed VI and Princess Lalla Salma. Perhaps the British Royal Family is using their example.

If Camilla wants the title of Princess Consort, it should be legislated prior to Charles' ascension to the throne. Would she be known as HRH Princess Camilla of Great Britian? Or HRH The Princess Consort of Great Britian?

It's different. Morroco never had a Queen, there's no tradition. Lalla Salma is the first consort ever to hold a title, as far as I know.

The Duchess of Cornwall not being Queen is an unnecessary and ridiculous break with tradition.

'Queen Camilla': Is Britain really ready for the Duchess of Cornwall becoming Queen one day? - Telegraph

Is Britain really ready for a 'Queen Camilla'?

Almost two decades after Diana's tragic death, it surely wouldn't be a betrayal of her memory to give the Duchess of Cornwall her own chance to secure a place in the nation's heart, writes Cathy Newman

Sigh, articles such as this simply continue the myth that there were '3 in the marriage,' ignoring the reality that there were @ least 4 in it.
Say what you will, Camilla has been very good for Charles both privately and publicly. I wonder how people would have felt if he had married some much younger model type after the divorce.

I wonder how people would have felt if he had married some much younger model type after the divorce.

They would adore her, just like happened the first time The Prince of Wales married. It's all about this "cult of youth" nonsense.

I think if the "HRH The Princess Consort" title is what they all agreed on, I think it should be granted to Camilla. I think Camilla has proved that she don't need to be recognized by the grand titles to support Charles and carry out her royal role within the Monarchy, just my opinion of course.
Unfortunately what she wants really doesn't matter here. As previously stated, Queen Consorts everywhere but the UK, and doesn't that look splendid!

At a time that the eyes of the world will be on the UK and the monarchy they go ahead and score the ultimate own goal, cementing forever the impression that it is controlled by small minded, vindictive people and a gutless government and monarchy.

The coronation would be a travesty showcasing the utter meanness of spirit and humiliation of Camilla, Princess Consort and only Camilla as we are led to believe that Catherine will be William's Queen Consort.

Perhaps it is a portent that the UK is about to ditch the whole "Coronation" concept and follow their European cousins . . . maybe the King will be proclaimed, in much the same way the Danes do, by the Prime Minister from the balcony of Buckingham Palace with King Charles wearing mourning dress.

Last edited:
Camilla will be crowned Queen when Charles ascends the Throne. As well she should be.

I don't care what Richard Palmer, Clarence House etc are saying about it now. Many of these same sources were saying that a Charles-Diana divorce was unthinkable, and later that a Camilla/Charles wedding would never happen, and that the two of them would simply be content to share their lives.

Queen Camilla it will be...count on it.:cool:

:previous: Unfortunately what she wants really doesn't matter here. As previously stated, Queen Consorts everywhere but the UK, and doesn't that look splendid!

At a time that the eyes of the world will be on the UK and the monarchy they go ahead and score the ultimate own goal, cementing forever the impression that it is controlled by small minded, vindictive people and a gutless government and monarchy.

The coronation would be a travesty showcasing the utter meanness of spirit and humiliation of Camilla, Princess Consort and only Camilla as we are led to believe that Catherine will be William's Queen Consort.

Perhaps it is a portent that the UK is about to ditch the whole "Coronation" concept and follow their European cousins . . . maybe the King will be proclaimed, in much the same way the Danes do, by the Prime Minister from the balcony of Buckingham Palace with King Charles wearing mourning dress.

I totally agree with you.

What about the other Realms? Will they embark in this stupid nonsense? Or she will HRH The Princess Consort of the United Kingdom and Her Majesty The Queen of Canada at the same time.

It's ridiculously disgusting. A horrible slap in the face of history and tradition.

I already think it's ridiculous Her Royal Highness not being titled as Princess of Wales (as if the title was specially designed for Diana). Not a allowing her to be Queen will be going too far.

I think the problem is the average person isn't very well read . We get all our news from twitter, tabloids and blogs. When the news says ' Queen Camilla '-the response is She will never be my Queen. She can't take the Place of Queen Elizabeth.. Etc. (And of course the CDC triangle )

People seem not to understand the 'queen consort ' concept-- that the queen in this instance is not a ruler and is not equal to the king.

Given this I think 'Princess Consort' is a wise move. But I agree that they shouldn't go back and forth. Duchess Kate should have the same title when the time comes.

:previous:
Queen consorts all around Europe and Camilla a mere Princess Consort. Man up Charles.

Got nothing to do with Charles, as you can see, it's Camilla who's calling the shots. I imagine Charles, of all people, wants his wife to be Queen.

Again, we haven't seen anything that says Charles agrees with Camilla's idea. Camilla chose to be The Duchess of Cornwall and not use The Princess of Wales style, and she is choosing to use the title the british public would prefer her to use by the looks of it. Charles isn't messing with anything.
Camilla will be Queen in all but name, and seeing as it's been reinforced after nearly 9 years of marriage it looks like it's staying.

I already think it's ridiculous Her Royal Highness not being titled as Princess of Wales (as if the title was specially designed for Diana). Not a allowing her to be Queen will be going too far.

She is titled The Princess of Wales, Camilla chooses not to use that style and is known as The Duchess of Cornwall.

I cannot see what all the fuss is about Prince Consort was good enough for Victoria's Albert, so Princess Consort is good enough for Camilla, especially if she desires that title and others are willing for her to have it.

Instead of breaking with tradition it is harking back to one of the greatest marriages and lover affairs the British Royal family have ever seen and personally I think it's a nice little nod in the direction of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

The difference is that the wife always takes the full set of titles and styles of her husband not the other way round e.g. The Queen was known as The Duchess of Edinburgh from her marriage until her accession because George VI gave Philip a title and not her. Giving her a title would have left Philip as Lt Philip Mountbatten.

All wives of the Kings of England/Scotland and the UK have had the title and style of Queen Consort while the husbands of the Queens have been Prince/s unless Kings in their own right to begin with - so Anne, Victoria and Elizabeth's husbands were all only Princes because a wife can't raise a husband in status.

That Camilla is The Princess of Wales is because she is the wife of the Prince of Wales who also has a string of other title so she had a string to choose from.

When he becomes King that will be his only title so legislation will be required to strip her of her rightful title and give her a lower one - including going against the advice given the Edward VIII in 1936 that there is no such thing in the UK as a morganatic marriage - but that is what Camilla taking the title of Princess Consort would mean - that in fact Edward VIII was lied to by his government because it would have been possible.

As for her titles in the other realms - that would depend on whether or not she has any official status there anyway e.g. I believe that in Canada the BRF are separately the CRF and so hold the style in the UK of Prince/Princess of Canada whereas in Australia they don't. By courtesy they are given the same titles they use in the UK but they aren't separately 'of Australia'. The Queen is, of course, Queen of Australia but Philip isn't a Prince of Australia - so Camilla would be referred to here by whatever title she uses in the UK as a courtesy only.

That would mean that in Canada they too would have to pass the legislation to strip her on the title of Queen, I would imagine whereas Australia would have to do nothing.

I don't think there will be any formal legislation passed stripping Camilla of the title Queen, IMO it will be done as now - she will be Queen legally just as she is technically Princess of Wales now but choose to use a lower title. That also opens up people and the media possibly after several years starting to slowly refer to her as Queen (not saying they will just saying by holding the title but using a lower one its not cutting anything out unlike passing legislation would).
Bear in mind this is likely all been discussed by, for example, HM The Queen, the Prince of Wales, Camilla and people who know how these things work - they will all bear in mind that they don't want to change hundreds of years of history so I doubt there will be any legal removal of the title leaving it open for 'Queen Catherine'.

I think Charles may go through the coronation alone. Charles being a widower sort of negates the divorce, and he did not remarry until Diana was already deceased. Camilla however still has a husband lives. This sort of goes back to the Duchess of Windsor issue. I think it will be more of the Morganic marriage, except the heirs are already secured. These little loopholes will be how Camilla gets the P. Consort title, but still leaves the Queen title open for Catherine. JMO

The difference between using the titles Princess of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall is that Charles is both The Prince of Wales and Duke of Cornwell.

When he becomes King the only title his wife can take is Queen Consort.

To take any other title will take LPs to create her Princess Consort but to create her with a lower title will mean legislation to strip her of the higher one - and that was stated in 2005 by the PM (Blair) when asked about her titles in parliament just before the wedding.

I think the problem is the average person isn't very well read . We get all our news from twitter, tabloids and blogs. When the news says ' Queen Camilla '-the response is She will never be my Queen. She can't take the Place of Queen Elizabeth.. Etc. (And of course the CDC triangle )

People seem not to understand the 'queen consort ' concept-- that the queen in this instance is not a ruler and is not equal to the king.

Given this I think 'Princess Consort' is a wise move. But I agree that they shouldn't go back and forth. Duchess Kate should have the same title when the time comes.
In every single fairy tale there is King and Queen not King and Princess Consort.

I cannot see what all the fuss is about Prince Consort was good enough for Victoria's Albert, so Princess Consort is good enough for Camilla, especially if she desires that title and others are willing for her to have it.

Instead of breaking with tradition it is harking back to one of the greatest marriages and lover affairs the British Royal family have ever seen and personally I think it's a nice little nod in the direction of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
Over a thousand of years of having Queen consorts and then suddenly have a Princess Consort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom