The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The past is the past, but after all that drama went down, Camilla has tried her best to not be seen as stepping on the toes of the late Princess's memory and family. She has gained my respect due to this.

Yes same here. She really has not put a foot wrong since marrying Charles.

LaRae

Speaking about traditions:

Who would ever have thought the King of the Belgians to abdicate? Who would ever have thought that the King of Spain would abdicate? Who would ever have thought that the Pope would abdicate?.

In Belgium, in Spain, and at the Holy See, with the former Sovereigns still around, the new situation seems adapted in the shortest possible time without any problem. As was always problemless in the "abdication-monarchies" Luxembourg and the Netherlands.

I am sure Queen Elizabeth will never abdicate. But I was equally sure that a Pope would never abdicate. Morale of the story: only one person knows, and that is the Queen herself.
You can't compare these people with the the Queen.

Benedict - He had said at least 3 times that there could be a possibility for him to resign, and many of the experts were not surprised at all.

Albert - Neither I or many of those who follow the Belgian royal family were surprised that he abdicated.

Juan Carlos - He did not want to abdicate, but had to because of his stupidity. And it was not just the last two years he was unpopular. He struggled with his popularity in a period in 2000s as well, and I was not surprised at all when he abdicated.

Ish, thank you for that brilliant post!

I wish I could write like you. But because of my dyslexia, I can't.

Last edited:
I adore Camilla and I hope she is known as Queen and not Princess Consort. But I equally don't want her to suddenly start being known as Princess of Wales. She has made the title Duchess of Cornwall her own. There have been other Princesses of Wales but I think only Camilla has stood out by being known as Duchess of Cornwall, whatever the reason for it.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for HM to abdicate and the hell will freeze over before we see her abdicate. Charles is more than ready to be King. The nation knows he's more than ready to be King and the BRF have been planning for a very long time what will happen when that time comes. They leave absolutely nothing to chance.

Judging by the turnout today in London for Trooping the Color, the monarchy in the UK is very strong with a very beloved monarch on the throne and a very well prepared heir to the throne as her right hand man whenever she needs him.
:)While I support abdication as an alternative, I agree that QEII is not likely to abdicate.
Should she experience health issues that make it impossible for her to continue in her current role then Charles would become the Prince regent.

I adore Camilla and I hope she is known as Queen and not Princess Consort. But I equally don't want her to suddenly start being known as Princess of Wales. She has made the title Duchess of Cornwall her own. There have been other Princesses of Wales but I think only Camilla has stood out by being known as Duchess of Cornwall, whatever the reason for it.
I agree, I think ti was right given the circumstances for her not to use the Title Princess of wales, it was a nod of respect to Diana and their past problems. But I think she'll be queen when the time comes and that is right, but I dont think now, she should take on the title of POW

The PoW will be used again. When William is invested with the title of Prince of Wales. Catherine will automatically become The Princess of Wales.

"Her life, her whole life, whether it be long or short." I think there are far more things that could be discussed regarding Charles reign besides whether or not there is a possibility that it could start while his mother is still alive. What of his current interest will be taken on by the government in a stronger why, such as the environment?

I have a strong hunch that any involvement that Charles has as King will be through trusts and patronages rather than through the government. In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if what we know now as The Prince's Trust and his other various interests get a cosmetic makeover such as The King's Trust etc.

Charles is a man that likes to remain active and always doing something but I think he's wise and astute enough to know not to step over the boundaries and/or step on toes.

I think Charles will do some things similar to his mother. Also, his job will be to look after the estates, as The Queen do.

It is reassuring to know that King Charles III will not perform royal duties the complete opposite of Elizabeth II. Would this be considered keeping with tradition?

It is reassuring to know that King Charles III will not perform royal duties the complete opposite of Elizabeth II. Would this be considered keeping with tradition?

Charles is pretty much very well experienced in the royal profession. Duty and service is how they operate.

If I'm not mistaken, over the years, its been Philip that has run the Sandringham estate. Not sure about the others. I know I've read that Philip would be at Sandringham every now and then to deal with matters.

Charles basically will do everything his mother has done as far as being a monarch. When we think about it, he does a lot of that already. One thing I know will be a given is that Charles will continue on with the traditional summer months at Balmoral. Its his favorite place on earth to be.

Yes Philip was in charge of running the estates at Sandringham. I believe there was an announcement a couple of years ago now, that Charles had taken over that job.

I would hope when Charles comes to the throne, we will see his family become more of a working family unite. Currently, we don't see The Queen and Philip work with Charles and Camilla all that much. I would like to see The King, Princess Consort and the Prince and Princess of Wales work together more often.

Dman..

IF it is to be a 'slimmer unit', that has to be unlikely.. They will need to cover the same ground with fewer people, so grouping up together wouldn't be a good idea.

Dman..

IF it is to be a 'slimmer unit', that has to be unlikely.. They will need to cover the same ground with fewer people, so grouping up together wouldn't be a good idea.

I'm not saying for them to work together all the time. We know the couples have their own interest, but I would like to see some unity between the monarch and the heir. We see unity between the monarch and heirs with the Swedish, Danish, Spanish and Norwegian royals. There's very little unity between The Queen and Charles. Outside of family events, they hardly come together. There's a lot of distance between the couples.

That could be because they are working, and have to go to different places and deal with different things. If the queen is doing her things like red boxes and investitures, for example and Charles is doing a tour to say Ireland, they're not going to be togethter. Why should they be?

That could be because they are working, and have to go to different places and deal with different things. If the queen is doing her things like red boxes and investitures, for example and Charles is doing a tour to say Ireland, they're not going to be togethter. Why should they be?

I know they have their own interest and roles to play. So does the other sovereigns and heirs. I just would like to see more family unity between the King, Princess Consort and the Prince & Princess of Wales in the future.

Right now, The Queen and Charles come together for family events and the odd engagement, but it seems like they rather stay out of each other's way when possible. I see little family unity in their duties.

The same can be said about the Wales and Cambridge side. Charles and Camilla, and William and Catherine hardly do anything together. I just see too much distance within the Windsor clan. I hope some of that would change in the next reign.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a lack of unity between the monarch and the heir at all. If anything, they work closely together behind the scenes. They just realize that they can cover more ground, visit more places and meet and greet more people if everyone goes off in separate directions. This is why they enjoy their "time off" so much and get together as a family then.

We have to remember too that the picture we paint of this family is only from what is shown to us through the photographs and articles from the media. For all we know, Charles could be calling his mother daily and there may be odd occasions where the family gets together at Windsor for Sunday dinner. This stuff wouldn't be made public. This is a very private family unit and I don't see them making a point of being seen together in public as a high priority.

I don't think there's a lack of unity between the monarch and the heir at all. If anything, they work closely together behind the scenes. They just realize that they can cover more ground, visit more places and meet and greet more people if everyone goes off in separate directions. This is why they enjoy their "time off" so much and get together as a family then.

We have to remember too that the picture we paint of this family is only from what is shown to us through the photographs and articles from the media. For all we know, Charles could be calling his mother daily and there may be odd occasions where the family gets together at Windsor for Sunday dinner. This stuff wouldn't be made public. This is a very private family unit and I don't see them making a point of being seen together in public as a high priority.

I know they're a close family, but I just would like to see more of a working family unit sometimes.

I completely understand that they cover more ground in their seperate corners, but I just would like to see the Monarch and heir do more things together. I would like to see Charles and Camilla and William and Catherine carry out some engagements together. Do an annual tour of Wales together, tour another part of the country or carry out an annual ceremonial occasion together.

I would like to see Camilla and Catherine do some engagements together from time to time. Here you have two ladies in the most senior positions next to The Queen, but they hardly get together outside of large family events.

I just see nothing wrong in them projecting more of a working family unit sometimes. Much respect that they have their own interests of course.

Last edited:
I'm not saying for them to work together all the time. We know the couples have their own interest, but I would like to see some unity between the monarch and the heir. We see unity between the monarch and heirs with the Swedish, Danish, Spanish and Norwegian royals. There's very little unity between The Queen and Charles. Outside of family events, they hardly come together. There's a lot of distance between the couples.
The British royal family do as much together (if not more) than the Danish and Norwegian royal families.

The Trooping, State Opening, Garter Service, State Visits, Diplomatic Reception, the Jubilees/birthdays celebrations, and at other events. And for me thats more than enough.

And we see unity between HM and Charles all the time. His Golden Jubilee, 80th birthday, Diamond Jubilee, 90th birthday speeches, several documentary tributes to her and several speeches to her in private.

HM doesn't give interviews, but she praised Charles publicly during his 50th and 60th birthdays (where she also held a speech to him in private)

Last edited:
I feel a bit gloomy about prospects for the British monarchy at the moment, both for Charles's reign and future ones. If Scotland becomes an independent country and Northern Ireland splits away from England and Wales as well, we shall be back to a situation which hasn't been present since King James I came to the throne of England.

I'm not attempting to introduce the contentious subject of Brexit in this thread, just pointing to a likelihood that Charles (and William) is likely to inherit a quite shrunken kingdom and perhaps Commonwealth.

I feel a bit gloomy about prospects for the British monarchy at the moment, both for Charles's reign and future ones. If Scotland becomes an independent country and Northern Ireland splits away from England and Wales as well, we shall be back to a situation which hasn't been present since King James I came to the throne of England.

I'm not attempting to introduce the contentious subject of Brexit in this thread, just pointing to a likelihood that Charles (and William) is likely to inherit a quite shrunken kingdom and perhaps Commonwealth.

Once the queen dies there probably won't be any commonwealth to inherit.

I think the Commonwealth itself will survive. Many countries within it are republics anyway. I was referring to the realms.

The British royal family do as much together (if not more) than the Danish and Norwegian royal families.

The Trooping, State Opening, Garter Service, State Visits, Diplomatic Reception, the Jubilees/birthdays celebrations, and at other events. And for me thats more than enough.

And we see unity between HM and Charles all the time. His Golden Jubilee, 80th birthday, Diamond Jubilee, 90th birthday speeches, several documentary tributes to her and several speeches to her in private.

HM doesn't give interviews, but she praised Charles publicly during his 50th and 60th birthdays (where she also held a speech to him in private)

Yes, those are ceremonial events that's stretched out throughout the year. I'm talking about I would like to see the family doing more engagements together.

It would be nice to see Camilla and Catherine carry out some engagements together. Also, it would be nice if Charles & Camilla and William and Catherine got together and did some official engagements together.

The Swedish, Danish and Norwegian royals do act more like family unit than the British royals, IMO.

I think this Brexit business has focused attention on core issues going to the very identity of the UK and Great Britain. Without Scotland there would be no Great Britain, and without Scotland and Northern Ireland there would be no United Kingdom. Though it presently seems unlikely that Northern Ireland would leave the UK, Scotland is a different kettle of fish. And if the main component part of the UK leaves, surely it is also likely that the independently-minded realms would see this as the time to move towards breaking apart and becoming republics. There is a risk that all Charles will inherit is England and Wales and a few realms. The Union Jack would be a thing of the past, and I think the role of the Monarch and the RF would be reduced significantly in its nature and scope, even more than has been speculated about so far.

Yes, those are ceremonial events that's stretched out throughout the year. I'm talking about I would like to see the family doing more engagements together.

It would be nice to see Camilla and Catherine carry out some engagements together. Also, it would be nice if Charles & Camilla and William and Catherine got together and did some official engagements together.

The Swedish, Danish and Norwegian royals do act more like family unit than the British royals, IMO.
I see your point actually. Just like they can go to events with their partner, it would be nice if they did events with other royals. Like in Sweden, the King and Crown princess does engagements together at times. Ofc there are the big royal family events, but I agree that it would be nice to mix up the royal groups at times. I loved when Kate, Camilla and the Queen did a few engagements etc. It doesn't necessarily have to make them less efficent. For example, William and Charles doing an engagement together could be very nice and not more "spreading thin" than if they do an engagement with their partner.

i think in the first referendum there was talks about bringing back the jacobite claimant i think that wouldn't work as the direct successor is heir to another throne

Last edited:
I see your point actually. Just like they can go to events with their partner, it would be nice if they did events with other royals. Like in Sweden, the King and Crown princess does engagements together at times. Ofc there are the big royal family events, but I agree that it would be nice to mix up the royal groups at times. I loved when Kate, Camilla and the Queen did a few engagements etc. It doesn't necessarily have to make them less efficent. For example, William and Charles doing an engagement together could be very nice and not more "spreading thin" than if they do an engagement with their partner.

Yeah, that's all I'm talking about. It would be nice to see The Queen, Camilla and Catherine some engagements together. Camilla and Catherine could do some things together. It would also be nice for Charles & Camilla and William & Catherine and even Harry do a family tour in some cities. Come together for a tour of Wales too.

No one is talking about interrupting their roles in different areas, but just become more of a family unit within the firm.

:previous:

In 2014 the leader of the Scottish independence movement, back then First Minister Alex Salmond, stated Queen Elizabeth would be Queen of Scots. So no throne lost and no other claimant in sight.

The Queen would be happy if UK broke up, says Alex Salmond - Telegraph

There are other claimants in site, always has been. Ever since the Glorious revolution. And it isn't a stretch to think, that if Scotland gained independence, and continued to be a monarchy (and not go full republic) there would not be those calling for a return to the proper Scottish line. Not saying it would go any where, that the queen would not remain, but the talk would certainly be there. Especially if Charles is king at the time. The reality is there is a Stewart line out there still. Issue being Sophie of Lichtenstein and her son are those heirs. We could see a case where an heir is chosen, like with the throne of Greece, and perhaps one of Sophie's younger children took up the Jacobite claim.

That said I think as long as Scotland remains a monarchy and doesn't go full republic, the Windsors will remain. But I don't think the Jacobite supporters will remain silent either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom