The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think one of the first things Charles should address is the CC and this bizarre running tally of engagement numbers.

Royal 'A' can shake hands all day and rack up 10 engagements in a day. Royal 'B' can attend a day long conference and get credit for one engagement.

Under the current way of doing things Royal A has worked 10x more that Royal B.

So I think the whole way royals are evaluated needs to be recalibrated. Maybe Charles can look at this rather than let the tabloids decide who is the 'harder' worker

I think one of the first things Charles should address is the CC and this bizarre running tally of engagement numbers.

Royal 'A' can shake hands all day and rack up 10 engagements in a day. Royal 'B' can attend a day long conference and get credit for one engagement.

So I think the whole way royals are evaluated needs to be recalibrated. Maybe Charles can look at this rather than let the tabloids decide who is the 'harder' worker

The BRF do not count the number of engagements so it is nothing to do with them. And as you know it doesn't relate to all the work they do.

ITs royal watchers that do it and pay attention to it.

That's an excellent idea. Just because things have always been one way doesn't mean they can't change. What you suggest seems a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

^ I don't think too many members of the BRF rack up ten engagements a day, ever. And surely if a Royal does a certain amount of homework and can get round to five different charitable organisations a day (as Princess Anne does, sometimes) that's worth something? Apart from the journeys between engagements there's more information to absorb, more people to meet and greet and discuss things with than would surely happen at a conference. Often the Royal who appears at a conference is only there to observe and take notes anyway.

Not changing using the CC, it's a good system. But changing or putting up a standardized way of recording it.

It is standardised. It records individual events undertaken by the BRF. If they are doing it on behalf of a patronage or regiment it says so; it says in general terms what they did or why they were there.

There is no need to change it. What needs to change is the assumption that it is in some way a competition (and it isn't) and that this is all they do.

The CC isn't at fault - its how people choose to interpret it

It is IMO the most comprehensive record of public engagement by any RF

I started tracking the CC for my own enjoyment. I never intended on making my hobby public but did so after a comment I made here was taken up and so I put up the first weekly list which was simply in line of succession order. Then people asked for the 'league table' so that was included and then bit by bit other suggestions were made for us to enjoy here.

I am actually considering not doing it publicly next year but only to those who ask via a PM and then will set up an email system but that is for a later date to discuss.

The BRF don't keep any sort of official tally. That was first done by Mr O'Donovan in the early 80s and he continues to do it to this day. Other media sources have also started to do their own counts - which are counted I don't know how as they can be way off from mine and Mr O'Donovan's.

Other boards have taken to counting events not listed in the CC as well to pad the counts for some royals whom they don't think are getting a fair deal from HM who decides what goes into the CC, which is simply a daily record of the official doings of the BRF.

It is standardised. It records individual events undertaken by the BRF. If they are doing it on behalf of a patronage or regiment it says so; it says in general terms what they did or why they were there.

There is no need to change it. What needs to change is the assumption that it is in some way a competition (and it isn't) and that this is all they do.

The CC isn't at fault - its how people choose to interpret it

It is IMO the most comprehensive record of public engagement by any RF
Thank you cepe for pointing out this important fact. For years I believed that the CC "counted" engagements as well, until it was mentioned to me that the CC merely shares information about the activities of the various members.

The press and public have created this "competition." However I'm not surprised by stories suggesting that the DoE and Princess Royal would compare their tallies when Mr. O'Donovan's annual report would come out.;) I can see them being a very competitive pair.

Regarding the BRF being slimmed down under Charles, is there actual proof that other European royal families have downsized, ot is it just perceived this way because of the number of monarchs who have abdicated, shifting the focus to the new nuclear family, while the number of HRHs (or equivalent) in these families still exists.

There is absolutely no proof of this.

In Sweden the royal family is actually expanding. It's a small family to begin with because the King only had sisters, none of whom has succession rights because of their marriages (3 lost their royal status because of unequal marriages, and the fourth converted to Catholicism). However, by making Madeleine's children royals the King has expanded the family instead of allowing it to remain small.

In Norway only those in the direct line of succession and their spouses are styled as HRHs, other family members being HHs. This gives it an appearance of downsizing that isn't accurate - the King's sisters went from being HRHs to HHs upon their marriages, as did his daughter. The only difference between them and Severre Magnus (asides from gender) is that the king decided that rather than lowering Severre Magnus' status upon his marriage he would be an HH from birth. Much like in Sweden, the king only has sisters, not brothers, so the family has long been naturally small. If any decision has been made to restrict future royal titles (i.e. if Severre Magnus' children won't be royals) then really that's just maintaining what has been the status quo in Norway since the dissolution of the union with Sweden - since the reign of Haakon VII, the Norwegian royal family has always been limited to the direct line as Haakon only had one child, and both Olav V and Harald V only had one son.

In Spain there has been a focus on the King and his descendants since the restoration in 1975. An argument could be made that the family has been downsized by removing the King's sisters from the Royal Family, but given as the King's aunts weren't a part of the Royal Family during his father's reigns it could also be considered to be maintaining the status quo.

The children of the younger son of the Queen of Denmark bear the style HH instead of HRH. However, if you go back a couple generations and look at the children of her paternal uncle, Hereditary Prince Knud (who was the heir presumptive until the succession laws were changed), they were also born HHs.

In Belgium the royal family is focused on the King and his children, but the King's parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, and aunts are all still a part of the royal family with HRHs. The King doesn't have any male-line paternal cousins.

There is something that can be considered downsizing in the Netherlands, as the King's nieces and nephews don't have royal titles at all, but... Willem-Alexander is the first monarch of the Netherlands since Wilhelmina to have a brother at all, and the first since William II to have a brother who in turn had children. So again, it's not so much downsizing and taking measures to maintain what has become the status quo.

In Luxembourg there is a large royal family who all bear the style HRH. Children born to the Grand Duke or Hereditary Grand Duke are all "of Luxembourg" while other male-line descendants of Grand Duke Adolphe are "of Nassau" - not a new trend.

In Monaco there has been a history of a smaller royal family that owes its size purely to the family not typically having too many children and many of those children not being sons. The current Prince only has sisters. Rainier III had only one sibling, a sister, and his mother was the only acknowledged child of her father. Her father, Louis II, was the only child of his father, who was the only child of his father... it's been a small family for a long time.

In Liechtenstein, the family is actually huge, as all male-line dynastic descendants of the first Prince of Liechtenstein are actually styled as Prince(ss) of Liechtenstein, and they're all HSH. The focus on the monarch and his family isn't new for a reason.

Now, in Britain, the royal family is probably the largest it's been since the LPs were issued in 1917. You have the monarch, her children, some of her grandchildren, some of her great-grandchildren, and some of her cousins. It's large because George V had a number of sons who in turn had children combined with the family being long lived. This isn't likely to continue to be the trend - none of the Queen's cousins can pass on royal titles to their children, her children are likely done having children and have passed it on as much as they're likely to - to 4 grandchildren, as the Wessexes don't really count. As for those 4 grandchildren, only 1 of them at this time can pass on royal titles, William, and only 1 other one will likely be able to in the future, Harry. The family is very likely to downsize naturally in the coming years as the rate of expansion isn't going to match the rate of contraction.

I started tracking the CC for my own enjoyment. I never intended on making my hobby public but did so after a comment I made here was taken up and so I put up the first weekly list which was simply in line of succession order. Then people asked for the 'league table' so that was included and then bit by bit other suggestions were made for us to enjoy here.

I am actually considering not doing it publicly next year but only to those who ask via a PM and then will set up an email system but that is for a later date to discuss.

The BRF don't keep any sort of official tally. That was first done by Mr O'Donovan in the early 80s and he continues to do it to this day. Other media sources have also started to do their own counts - which are counted I don't know how as they can be way off from mine and Mr O'Donovan's.

Other boards have taken to counting events not listed in the CC as well to pad the counts for some royals whom they don't think are getting a fair deal from HM who decides what goes into the CC, which is simply a daily record of the official doings of the BRF.

I wonder if someone in the press or the general public will take up Mr. O'Donovan's role once he is no longer able to tally the BRF engagements on an annual basis.

The BRF do not count the number of engagements so it is nothing to do with them.

ITs royal watchers that do it and pay attention to it.

In the Prince of Wales annual review his office releases the number of engagements, letters, etc.

According to an old post, Andrew also posts/ed his numbers on his website.

IMO, some people believe their 'favorite' does secret engagements that are not listed so they find the CC unacceptable.

Time and time again, it has been revealed that numerous members of the BRF have events, meeting that are not listed in the CC.

Is watching a ballet or a sporting event for two to three hours more important that writing and delivering a ten minute speech in a foreign language followed by meeting 75 people for an hour?

Which should count more?

If people are not satisfied with how things are done they can always create their own CC.

I highly suspect that after a few months they will abandon it when they discover they are not getting the results they wanted.:lol::lol::lol:

If people are really that interested in how much ABC royal worked in comparison to XYZ royal, write to their offices and ask for copies of their calendar.

Or get a job for a year at one royal's office, then switch to another and another and another.:lol::lol::lol:

I would be interested in knowing if their favorite was still their favorite after a year of working for their favorite.:whistling::whistling::whistling:

There is absolutely no proof of this.

In Sweden the royal family is actually expanding. It's a small family to begin with because the King only had sisters, none of whom has succession rights because of their marriages (3 lost their royal status because of unequal marriages, and the fourth converted to Catholicism). However, by making Madeleine's children royals the King has expanded the family instead of allowing it to remain small.

In Norway only those in the direct line of succession and their spouses are styled as HRHs, other family members being HHs. This gives it an appearance of downsizing that isn't accurate - the King's sisters went from being HRHs to HHs upon their marriages, as did his daughter. The only difference between them and Severre Magnus (asides from gender) is that the king decided that rather than lowering Severre Magnus' status upon his marriage he would be an HH from birth. Much like in Sweden, the king only has sisters, not brothers, so the family has long been naturally small. If any decision has been made to restrict future royal titles (i.e. if Severre Magnus' children won't be royals) then really that's just maintaining what has been the status quo in Norway since the dissolution of the union with Sweden - since the reign of Haakon VII, the Norwegian royal family has always been limited to the direct line as Haakon only had one child, and both Olav V and Harald V only had one son.

In Spain there has been a focus on the King and his descendants since the restoration in 1975. An argument could be made that the family has been downsized by removing the King's sisters from the Royal Family, but given as the King's aunts weren't a part of the Royal Family during his father's reigns it could also be considered to be maintaining the status quo.

The children of the younger son of the Queen of Denmark bear the style HH instead of HRH. However, if you go back a couple generations and look at the children of her paternal uncle, Hereditary Prince Knud (who was the heir presumptive until the succession laws were changed), they were also born HHs.

In Belgium the royal family is focused on the King and his children, but the King's parents, siblings, nieces and nephews, and aunts are all still a part of the royal family with HRHs. The King doesn't have any male-line paternal cousins.

There is something that can be considered downsizing in the Netherlands, as the King's nieces and nephews don't have royal titles at all, but... Willem-Alexander is the first monarch of the Netherlands since Wilhelmina to have a brother at all, and the first since William II to have a brother who in turn had children. So again, it's not so much downsizing and taking measures to maintain what has become the status quo.

In Luxembourg there is a large royal family who all bear the style HRH. Children born to the Grand Duke or Hereditary Grand Duke are all "of Luxembourg" while other male-line descendants of Grand Duke Adolphe are "of Nassau" - not a new trend.

In Monaco there has been a history of a smaller royal family that owes its size purely to the family not typically having too many children and many of those children not being sons. The current Prince only has sisters. Rainier III had only one sibling, a sister, and his mother was the only acknowledged child of her father. Her father, Louis II, was the only child of his father, who was the only child of his father... it's been a small family for a long time.

In Liechtenstein, the family is actually huge, as all male-line dynastic descendants of the first Prince of Liechtenstein are actually styled as Prince(ss) of Liechtenstein, and they're all HSH. The focus on the monarch and his family isn't new for a reason.

Now, in Britain, the royal family is probably the largest it's been since the LPs were issued in 1917. You have the monarch, her children, some of her grandchildren, some of her great-grandchildren, and some of her cousins. It's large because George V had a number of sons who in turn had children combined with the family being long lived. This isn't likely to continue to be the trend - none of the Queen's cousins can pass on royal titles to their children, her children are likely done having children and have passed it on as much as they're likely to - to 4 grandchildren, as the Wessexes don't really count. As for those 4 grandchildren, only 1 of them at this time can pass on royal titles, William, and only 1 other one will likely be able to in the future, Harry. The family is very likely to downsize naturally in the coming years as the rate of expansion isn't going to match the rate of contraction.

Thanks for posting this, very interesting to read and puts all the RFs in perspective.

Regarding the BRF being slimmed down under Charles, is there actual proof that other European royal families have downsized, ot is it just perceived this way because of the number of monarchs who have abdicated, shifting the focus to the new nuclear family, while the number of HRHs (or equivalent) in these families still exists.

The trend may be exaggerated, but Spain (1987), Luxembourg (1995), and the Netherlands (2002) have enacted restrictions on royal and grand ducal titles (Luxembourg restricted the title Prince(ss) of Luxembourg but not Prince(ss) of Nassau).

In Sweden the royal family is actually expanding. It's a small family to begin with because the King only had sisters, none of whom has succession rights because of their marriages (3 lost their royal status because of unequal marriages, and the fourth converted to Catholicism).

The sisters never had any succession rights because Sweden followed Salic law, but the three were deprived of their membership in the Royal House.

In Norway only those in the direct line of succession and their spouses are styled as HRHs, other family members being HHs. This gives it an appearance of downsizing that isn't accurate - the King's sisters went from being HRHs to HHs upon their marriages, as did his daughter.

In Norway, Princess Astrid, Princess Märtha Louise, and Prince Sverre Magnus actually have no style whatsoever. The policy of the royal house is to only use the style Highness for overseas engagements. (As a result, the style HH appears in the English version of the royal house's website, but not the Norwegian version.) Unlike her aunts, Princess Märtha Louise did not lose her HRH upon her marriage, as she had already lost it three months previous on 1 February 2002 as a consequence of starting a business.

I was thinking about when and if Charles becomes King, e whole family tree would shift up, only seeing (mostly) Charles and down.

I was thinking about when and if Charles becomes King, e whole family tree would shift up, only seeing (mostly) Charles and down.

:previous:

I agree. The phrase "a slimmed down" royal family/monarchy is something I think was made up by the media and doesn't really make sense anyway.

Natural progression will result in a varying number of members of the royal family from one generation to the next - it is anyones guess whether William and Catherine (and eventually Harry) have a large family or not.

I think a possible solution to the perceived large size of the BRF would be to allow only working royals to have an HRH. This would allow the York girls and also Prince and Princess Michael, to become private citizens as threre is little need for them to continue being prince/sses. This would also allow royals to retire back into private life, as the Duchess of Kent has done, although she was unable to officially drop her titles.

Beatrice and Eugenie could, if they wanted, drop their styling as Princesses at any time, just as Princess Patsy Connaught dropped hers on her marriage in 1919. Presumably, all they'd have to do would be to tell their grandmother, (and their father, of course.)

Beatrice and Eugenie could, if they wanted, drop their styling as Princesses at any time, just as Princess Patsy Connaught dropped hers on her marriage in 1919. Presumably, all they'd have to do would be to tell their grandmother, (and their father, of course.)

The problem with that is, they could "drop" the titles physically yet they would still have them.
Patricia was granted a Royal Warrant to be known as Lady Patricia Ramsay, and her place in line of succession was altered.

I'm pretty sure several pieces of legislation would have to be re-written and new legislation written in terms of where the girls "stand".

What would be better for everyone, is if the girls were given a defined role, the press were informed, this is how it was going be from now on and that was that.

With their father footing their bills, and his insistence of their status, it is unlikely they will request a change. He who has the gold.....

With their father footing their bills, and his insistence of their status, it is unlikely they will request a change. He who has the gold.....

What insistence?

Andrew didn't insist on their being royals. They were born royals in accordance to the LPs of 1917 at a time when there was no real public desire for his children to be anything other than royals.

He's not stripped them of their titles, but that's not within his power. Only the Queen or Parliament can do that. We make a lot of fuss about the idea that Charles wants to "slim down" the monarchy and will strip them of their titles, but we have no actual reason to believe that - the media made up a story that people have reported as fact since then. We make a lot of fuss that they've been denied the opportunity to be working royals, that they want to do so, or that Andrew wants to do so... But again, we have no basis to know that. No identifiable source has ever said such a thing.

I actually don't think they will drop their titles, or be stripped of them. There have been a few stories of Eugenie getting annoyed with friends teasing her about her princess status and her regarding it as rather a nuisance. However, it's part of both girls. As they are now in their twenties and haven't stated anything about dropping the HRH, and I think it is important to their much loved father that they are acknowledged in that way, their titles/styling will remain.

And it's certainly important to their mother and her commercial activities.

See everything with these girls always comes down to their parents!

Fergie would want this, Andrew insists on this.....

The girls were born with titles that were legally theirs. They shouldn't have to give them up. What they need is something to do with them!

The trouble is, (for Beatrice at least, I don't think Eugenie is so bothered about performing royal duties) the girls have come to adulthood when there is a logjam of working royals.

Her grandparents are still actively at work, so is the Duke of Kent and Alexandra as well as the slightly younger Gloucesters, and Andrew and all his siblings. Waiting in the wings presumably, but still not full time royals, are the Cambridges and Harry.

That's quite a solid block of royals, some of them very elderly, that are still willing and able. I'm certainly not wishing ill on the Queen, PP and her older cousins, but if Beatrice had been born a decade earlier or a decade later than she was then she might have been able to be slotted into a role as a working Royal a lot more easily.

As it is, there are a lot of people already who have to be compensated for royal duties out of the Queen's income, the Duchy of Lancaster. She might not be able to afford another one or two on the Royal payroll. As well there is the PR angle, the public reaction to yet another Royal reporting for duty. (People already think every Royal is paid for with their taxes.)

Things may very well change in Charles's reign but we will have to wait and see.

I can imagine that when the Prince of Wales becomes King, the "use" of Gloucesters and the Kents as well his nieces and nephews will be minimal. That means probably four grandchildren of a Sovereign whom are a HRH will play no role:

HM The King
HM The Queen (HRH The Princess-Consort)
HRH The Prince of Wales
HRH The Princess of Wales
HRH The Prince Henry
(HRH The Princess Henry)
HRH The Princess Royal
Vice-Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence
HRH The Duke of York
HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HRH The Duchess of Edinburgh
------------------------------------------
Mr Peter Phillips
Mrs Peter Phillips
Mrs Michael Tindall
Mr Michael Tindall
HRH Princess Beatrice of York
HRH Princess Eugenie of York
HRH Prince James of Edinburgh
HRH Princess Louise of Edinburgh

Does Sir Tim perform royal duties on his own account though? I know he sometimes accompanies his wife.

Also, it might be another fifteen years before Louise Wessex, and especially her brother, would be ready for any full time Royal duties if they wanted to and were needed. I know that by then the Queen, Prince Philip, the Kents, Alexandra and possibly the Gloucesters will no longer be with us. The King and Queen (Charles and Camilla) would be very elderly by that point, and perhaps only have assistance from four other senior royals.

Beatrice, by the new reign, might be a woman in her early thirties with a young family. She could be keen to undertake some Royal duties. However Louise and James Wessex (Edinburgh) will almost certainly undertake some sort of tertiary education/armed forces training that might not be completed by their mid-20's.
The same will happen with George and Charlotte.

Last edited:
Tim doesn't undertake royal duties unless he's accompanying his wife.

Louise and James aren't likely to ever undertake royal duties as they don't hold titles. Regardless of the fact that it's unclear if they technically are or are not HRHs, they don't use these titles, they have been presented as not having these titles, and there is absolutely no indication to believe that they ever will. They are in a situation more comparable to Peter and Zara than to Beatrice and Eugenie - and just as Anne's children aren't expected to do royal duties (owing to them not being royals), neither will Edwards.

As for Beatrice and Eugenie... A lot is made of them having some obligation to perform royal duties, when there isn't. Being an HRH isn't a job. It's a title. Prince Michael of Kent was never expected to be a full tile royal. I believe the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester were only ever expected to do so (initially at least) because they held royal dukedoms; the Duke of Gloucester wasn't expected to be a working royal until his brother's death. As a younger son, he studied to be an architect. Likewise, Princess Alexandra studied to be a nurse, but was pushed into full time duties when circumstances caused there to be a smaller royal family and the Queen needed her to take up a more active role.

The Queen's cousins became working royals when they did because there was a need for it - King George had died, the Queen was young, her children were young, and help was needed. That's not the case now - the Queen is older, her children are adults, her cousins are still working. There isn't the need for her grandchildren to be full time royals, nor is there likely the money to fund it. And so Beatrice and Eugenie shouldn't be expected to take it up right now (time will tell if they'll be needed in the future) - especially when William, Kate, and Harry are all older and higher up, yet aren't full time royals.

Make of this what you will and I'm never sure about Richard Palmer's sources but it does perpetuate Charles wanting a smaller monarchy with few working royals. Charles maybe floating a trial balloon

Charles’s plans for a pared-down monarchy and the desire of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry to focus on hands-on intensive work with a small group of charities instead of more mundane ribbon-cutting mean many of 3,000 voluntary organisations currently supported by the Firm are likely to lose their royal patrons in the coming years, sources have told the Daily Express.

...Charles, 67, wants a more muscular, streamlined monarchy, focused on achieving concrete changes in society through a smaller group of working royals and, inevitably, a smaller number of organisations.

...The core of that smaller group will be Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry - and his wife if he is married by then.

Much may depend on when Charles comes to the throne but, according to sources familiar with behind-the-scenes palace thinking, even the new King’s siblings, Anne, Andrew, and Edward may not have an official role for long under Charles.
Read more: Hundreds of charities to lose royal support as Charles overhauls Queen's worthy causes | Royal | News | Daily Express

It does look as if the Queen's cousins at least will be pensioned off and Charles's family will be at the centre of things, with probably large umbrella Foundations. I hope it won't be a sharp cut-off however. Anne has worked incredibly hard for her charities for decades and the Wessexes will still be quite young to be settling into private life, (though core organisations like the Duke of Edinburgh Awards will still go on for some time under Edward's superintendence presumably.)

Has Charles thought that he and/or Camilla may not enjoy the best of health in their seventies and eighties, leaving four people to shoulder greater commitments?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom