The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would it be a nightmare to still have his mother alive when he is in his mid-60s? I bet most of us would love to have our mothers still with us at that point in our lives.

Clegg is a widely discredited self-publicist, whose party [the Liberal-Democrats] are expected to be annihilated in the 2017 General Election. He will shortly truly know nightmares of his own...

Mr Clegg has a point anyway. The Prince of Wales will begin his eventual kingship at an age with which most in his country are already enjoying retirement... Apart from an immediate Pavlov-reaction, the message of Mr Clegg has something to consider without prejudices.

In this country, Monarchs are at their most popular when young and glamorous... they bcome uninteresting [to the public] during middle age, before becoming revered in old age. The classic example is Queen Victoria, but there are many other examples [such as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother], and indeed the present Queen.
With the aging demographic in this, and many other countries King Charles iii will chime in perfectly with the mood of his era [having earned respect through his tireless years working as Prince of Wales.] The beauty of a Royal FAMILY, is that there are always young family members [like Harry and George] to provide excitement and glamour.

In ye olde times a King in his seventies had reached an advanced and blessed age. With the general rise of standards in nutrition, hygiene, sanitation and health care the general population grows older and older, be it that these more and more advanced ages are often paired with more and more geriatric problems.

The Kings of Spain and of the Belgians whom have abdicated visibly sufferend physical problems during a longer period. Like Pope Benedictus XVI they might have considered for themselves that they feel no longer able to fulfill their duties to the high standard they demand from others and themselves. The various Sovereigns in the both Houses of Nassau (Netherlands and Luxembourg) followed a longer standing tradition of handing over the royal prerogatives to a younger generation.

Now the most interesting fact seems to appear that the Queen has a remarkably high age in a most extraordinary wellbeing and health. She is blessed with that. But with the advancing of ages this also means that when King Charles III reaches a blessed age in the 90's, his son William will be in his sixties when he becomes King. When King William IV dies at the age of 90, his son George will be 60 too when he comes on the throne. A total difference with the young, energic Kings in Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium...

It may be [in the future] that King William v will consider abdicating in favour of his son, before he reaches advanced old age..
However it is certain that the present Queen will not [for reasons already exhaustively rehersed on other threads..]
Incidentally i have an atrologer friend who is certain Charles will never reign [apparently he doesn't have 'Kingship' in his birthchart, as William does]. Charles may of course predecease his mother, but personally hope not, as i think he will make a fine king. and i'd prefer to see William & Catherine raise their family before assuming the heavy duties of 'the top jobs'..

Last edited:
"young, energic Kings in Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium" were only heirs. They had only salaries (apanages) and several honorary positions as heirs. That's all.
Prince Charles is in completely different situation. He has Duchy of Cornwell which generates his independent incomes. He has built his own empire - The Prince Trust, organization with more than 100 mln.pound year budget. And he has his own projects, such as Dumfries House and Romanian villages. Continental heirs don't have such power, influence and achievements. To be successful king is their only way to achieve something.

The beauty of the British royal family will always be on the Cambridge's and Prince Harry's future family. The British people may not have a youthful King and Consort on the throne in the future but they will have a youthful Prince & Princess of Wales. That's where all the attention will be anyway.

His succession has always been a touchy subject and he prefer to not talk about it. He'll make a great King though and he'll do things his way.

Last edited:
"young, energic Kings in Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium" were only heirs. They had only salaries (apanages) and several honorary positions as heirs. That's all.
Prince Charles is in completely different situation. He has Duchy of Cornwell which generates his independent incomes. He has built his own empire - The Prince Trust, organization with more than 100 mln.pound year budget. And he has his own projects, such as Dumfries House and Romanian villages. Continental heirs don't have such power, influence and achievements. To be successful king is their only way to achieve something.

I don't know what you want to say. The Prince of Wales has no desire on the kingship, or he can wait long enough, because he has the Duchy of Cornwall giving him income?

I don't know what you want to say. The Prince of Wales has no desire on the kingship, or he can wait long enough, because he has the Duchy of Cornwall giving him income?

Well, youthful... Prince William is already a balding man in his thirty-somethings. Prince Harry still has a youthful appearance but I noted the Windsor fate of balding men is hitting him now too...

:flowers:

Monarchy is NOT a beauty contest... the succession is established by LAW, and is not dependant on youth, quantity of hair or any such superficial characteristics.

I think Charles is very comfortable in the role he has now but will gladly do all he can to support his mother and the monarchy wherever he is needed. I don't think he is "chomping at the bits" to be monarch but knows that the day will come come when he will have to step into that role and will do it beautifully. To quote his own words in a way, "He's been doing it long enough". :D

Even though now in his mid 60s, he still is very much the "Action Man" and that is to prescribe to him a way of being of always constantly doing something. Its been stated that he takes walks to relax and think. Most of the British Royal Family are like that, more prone to be doing something than sitting behind a TV tray with dinner (although its been reported that this is a common thing) and I think that adds to their general health and well being.

Although the young and glamorous is what makes the papers the most and generates mass followings, it is the long term dedication to service and duty that is most admired about the British monarchy and I think we would have a very stunned world should The Queen announce an abdication in favor of Charles. It simply isn't the British way of doing things.

I do feel sorry for Charles that he is put in a position to wait this long to take the job everyone insists he was born to do and because he hasn't done it yet some people criticize and don't take him as seriously as they should. At the same time it is a horrible system where you wait for years to do the job "you were born to do" which means waiting for your mother to die. I think the Dutch and Spanish have a good idea going.

He didn't say anything we haven't already discussed here many times.

Nick Clegg's mother is Dutch (he actually speaks Dutch fluently !) and his wife is Spanish. Given recent abdications in the Netherlands and Spain, one understands where he is coming from.
And as I understand it he was speaking to someone not addressing a crowd. Eavesdroppers again.

. . . . . His succession has always been a touchy subject and he prefer to not talk about it. He'll make a great King though and he'll do things his way.
Many years ago I saw him in a interview where a reporter asked how he felt getting older and no throne in sight. He responded that since his sucession to the throne was dependant on the death of his mother, he personally was in no particular hurry. I see nothing that would have changed his opinion.

I do think that a lot of people actually don't think the royals have feelings like the rest of us with their discussions of hoping that Charles dies before his mother, meaning that an 88 year old woman has to mourn her own first born (I often wonder how much the fact that The Queen Mum had to go to her younger child's funeral hastened her death as I am sure she would have loved to have been at the Jubilee celebrations of her elder daughter). I have asked people that question on the DM and been red-arrowed to death - telling me that many people actually hope that The Queen has to go the funeral of her own first born child and a child that she loves as any mother does.

If is the same thing with wanting William to succeed the Queen and jump over his father - in other words they want William to so hate his father that he would take away his father's position.

It says a lot more about the poster/writer as they just don't get the fact that the royals are real flesh and blood people in an abnormal life situation.

It's sad that a beautiful and grand event such as Charles's succession and Coronation can only come about due to the death of his mother, The Queen. I think a great deal of people understand that this is a very touchy subject for Charles and even the entire royal family. Not to mention the British people and governments.

I like the tradition in the UK that there is a gap between the monarch's funeral and the coronation of the next one. There is time to mourn and reflect and in a about a yr to yr and a half time to look forward with a huge ceremony that most of us haven't ever seen occur in our lifetimes.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Read here in this topic that there are people who say that Charles will never be King. If that happens you think that William is going to be a good King? And how do you think will be the reign of William?

I like the tradition in the UK that there is a gap between the monarch's funeral and the coronation of the next one. There is time to mourn and reflect and in a about a yr to yr and a half time to look forward with a huge ceremony that most of us haven't ever seen occur in our lifetimes.

It's one the events that I hope I'm here to see. I know with all this modern day technology, YouTube, Facebook and all that great stuff, Accession Day and Coronation Day will be out of this world.

Read here in this topic that there are people who say that Charles will never be King. If that happens you think that William is going to be a good King? And how do you think will be the reign of William?

No matter if it's Charles's reign (very likely) or William's reign, they will both step up to the plate and do their duty to the United Kingdom and Commonwealth. I think they will make very good King's.

Last edited:
I do think that a lot of people actually don't think the royals have feelings like the rest of us with their discussions of hoping that Charles dies before his mother, meaning that an 88 year old woman has to mourn her own first born (I often wonder how much the fact that The Queen Mum had to go to her younger child's funeral hastened her death as I am sure she would have loved to have been at the Jubilee celebrations of her elder daughter). I have asked people that question on the DM and been red-arrowed to death - telling me that many people actually hope that The Queen has to go the funeral of her own first born child and a child that she loves as any mother does.

If is the same thing with wanting William to succeed the Queen and jump over his father - in other words they want William to so hate his father that he would take away his father's position.

It says a lot more about the poster/writer as they just don't get the fact that the royals are real flesh and blood people in an abnormal life situation.
Excellent post ILuvBertie. If Charles is hesitant about discussing his ascension to the throne, imagine how reluctant his son is at discussing his own.

I do believe that he will do a good job, but I know that it will be heavily influenced by the economic/political/social climate of the country at that time in history as all reigns are.

Part of me thinks that Charles won't be King, and that he will pass the throne onto William instead, as I have a feeling that HM will live for a long time like the Queen Mother did, although the other half of me thinks that Charles will get some time on the throne - just look at Prince Philip now, he's still able to perform royal engagements and he's ninety three.

I think William will be a good King, but I would expect him to perform more engagements than he is now, but to be fair he's probably focusing more on his job as a helicopter pilot at the moment. I'm not saying that he's lazy, I'm just saying that I think he should appear in public more often.

I don't know why but I have a feeling that Queen Elizabeth could cede the throne to Charles within a short time, perhaps in 2016.
We should not forget that she next year will become the longest Queen was on the throne of the United Kingdom and the Queen can make the decision to abdicate the throne and start a new era in British monarchy. Elizabeth II did his duty as Queen and as sensible person who is may assign the throne to his son, I wouldn't be shocked if she took that decision.

After waiting so long, it doesn't seem likely that Charles would just abdicate immediately to allow William to reign.

The majority of people who want William to jump think this way because William is younger....that's all the qualifications he has. In 2 decades if he still isn't King people will want George instead of him because they will then have a young good looking monarch and not an old man. I've even heard some calling for Harry to be king.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom