The Monarchy under Charles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But Bertie that's not going to happen (all the red)....at the most it would be children of Harry ..nothing (new) below that.

LaRae

I am fully aware of that. My point was in reply to a suggestion made by Mbruno that all grandchildren and their spouses should be HRHs due to the changes in the succession.

We have already seen The Queen change the LPs with Edward's children by the use of Her Will which would suggest a future where they LPs themselves will be changed to reduce rather than expand the number of HRHs as you are suggesting.
But the fact that HM used Her Will rather than issuing a new LP like she did for Charlotte tells me that she wants to leave the option open for future generations to decide. And perhaps she has some reservations about this. She had four children, and they all had children. By the time Louise and James were born, they were so far from the throne and also the Wales boys were at an age where they provided a lot of tabloid fodder that it wasn't as big of a deal.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the current LP will be changed to expand to include additional HRHs, but I don't see a reduction either to the level that you suggested earlier. I don't think I'll see the children of a monarch be stripped of their HRH status. I don't really see a new LP issued during the York princesses' lives either. The most it'll be is probably through a sovereign's will, but that's probably it. I don't see Charles or William issuing a LP that would strip them of the HRH title or making an exception for them while issuing LP that would strip their own grandchildren of the title automatically. They would likely leave the choice to the parents and then issue His Will to address it.

Last edited:
Is Prince Andrew now undoubtedly a minor royal? With the expansion of Charles's family, the Yorks are well and truly out of the limelight.

Is Prince Andrew now undoubtedly a minor royal? With the expansion of Charles's family, the Yorks are well and truly out of the limelight.

I'm going to give a creepy if practical answer. He's not so far out of it when you think of Charles/Wills/Harry family being together (as I am sure there are times they are) and the gas main blows or something else equally catastrophic happens. He is suddenly very relevant, again in that case.

As long as he's the son of the current monarch, I don't think he can be truly considered a minor royal. That will happen when he becomes the brother of the monarch who himself has plenty of heirs. Then he'll just be a spare in the background.

I am fully aware of that. My point was in reply to a suggestion made by Mbruno that all grandchildren and their spouses should be HRHs due to the changes in the succession.

No, the change would apply only to the descendants of Prince Charles when he were King. It would not be retroactive to all descendants of George V or George VI.

Also, I am proposing the Belgian model that applies only to people born as children and grandchildren of a living monarch.

All people who were already HRHs prior to the change in the titles systems obviously would keep their styles while they are alive, again as the 2015 Belgian royal decree did to people who were princes/princess of Belgium under the royal decrees of 1891 and 1991.

I imagined that would be obvious to other posters, but, apparently, it was not. If the concern is, however, an increase in the number of HRHs because of the inclusion of maternal grandchildren, then the Dutch model may be used and only the children of the heir would become HRHs. The important point is to eliminate gender inequality to keep the title rules in line with the succession rules, i.e. either all grandchildren (in paternal and maternal line) are HRHs, or only the children of the heir are (whether the heir is male or female).

Last edited:
Off-topic posts relating to Prince Andrew have been deleted - clearly not a topic for this thread.

Last edited:
Do people think it matters who is on the throne when Harry and Meghan have their kid(s), as far as the title goes? Prince/Princess and would Charles be as likely as his mother let them have this or would he change the Letters of Patent? Of course it seems quite possible that, like the Wessex family, they won't want this for their children.

Do people think it matters who is on the throne when Harry and Meghan have their kid(s), as far as the title goes? Prince/Princess and would Charles be as likely as his mother let them have this or would he change the Letters of Patent? Of course it seems quite possible that, like the Wessex family, they won't want this for their children.

Yes, it does matter who is on the throne when Harry and Meghan have children. Under the current LPs, any children born during the Queen's reign will be styled as the children of a Duke, not as HRH Prince/Princess.

It is possible that the Queen might modify the LPs, but that's no guarantee. It's equally as possible that Charles might modify the LPs or issue a statement during his reign that would prevent any children of Harry and Meghan from being HRH Prince/Princess, comparable to Edward and Sophie.

We really won't know until if/when Harry and Meghan have children.

Yes, it does matter who is on the throne when Harry and Meghan have children. Under the current LPs, any children born during the Queen's reign will be styled as the children of a Duke, not as HRH Prince/Princess.

It is possible that the Queen might modify the LPs, but that's no guarantee. It's equally as possible that Charles might modify the LPs or issue a statement during his reign that would prevent any children of Harry and Meghan from being HRH Prince/Princess, comparable to Edward and Sophie.

We really won't know until if/when Harry and Meghan have children.

Yea, I really think whether or not exceptions are made for the children either way would take into account of the parents’ opinion. And knowing those two, I don’t see their children being addressed as HRHs. While I’m sure the Queen and Charles don’t mind all of his grandchildren to have HRH status, Edward has already set a precedent for this. Not much doubt in my mind that Harry would follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom