The Lascelles Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lascelles/Velez Robledo engagement - Peerage News | Google Groups

according to this... Emily married Matthew Shard sometime last year and is now the mother of Twins!!! Heir to earldom Hon. Alexander is Probably the Son of Leo Cyrus Anthony.
Leo Cyrus Anthony Lascelles ???? - Peerage News | Google Groups

and An Engagement to announce Benjamin Lascelles, the illigitimate son Viscount David and Magaret Messenger is to Marry Carolina Velez Robeldo. they already got the queens permission to marry in that Privy Council thingy...

married-
Hon. Benjamin Lascelles and Carolina Velez Robeldo married at Harewood House April 18th 2009

married-
Hon. Benjamin Lascelles and Carolina Velez Robeldo married at Harewood House April 18th 2009
A wonderful location to marry...My congratulation to them!

BTW, as it is named in the start of the topic - is there still ANY interaction of ANYBODY from the family with the Lascelles? Seems to me, that they are absolutely out of everything ;)

I think, when William was a kid, he had a very little connection with Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella Windsor, especially Frederick. But I don't know for sure. Interesting is, that I saw pics of Lord Freddie meeting Kate Middleton on a party and it seemed, they got on quite familiar with eachother.

I wouldn't imagine there is much Lacelles interaction among the younger generation. They are the Queen's cousins, which is a couple generations removed from them. I know my father's cousins, but I don't think I know any of my grandparents' cousins.

I think that the Lascelles and the Windsors generally don't mix in this current generation. The Lascelles have had some marital/legitimacy issues which made them persona non grata in the 1960s and 1970s, so it's unlikely there's much closeness between family members born during and after that time.

I wouldn't imagine there is much Lacelles interaction among the younger generation. They are the Queen's cousins, which is a couple generations removed from them. I know my father's cousins, but I don't think I know any of my grandparents' cousins.

Well, I just wondered, because you see the whole Kent-Family and also the Gloucesters on the balcony on Trooping the colour and of course William attended the weddings of the current Duke of Gloucesters daughters as well.

But I think as Iowabelle said, there were just a lot of lapses from this family, especially by the Earl of Harewood in the past, which explain that there is no interaction anymore.

William and Harry had a lot of contact with Ella and Freddie when they were growing up as well as with the Gloucester children because they all grew up at Kensington Palace together and Lady Gabriella in an interview with Hello magazine also said that she played with them at Highgrove as a child as well because it was close to her parents house. William nor Harry however attended the weddings of any of the Gloucester children.

Hi,

I should imagine that The Queen and Princess Margaret had quite a bit of contact with the Herewoods when growing up, as they would have all been born in the 20's & 30's.
And, The Queen Mother was a bridesmaid at Princess Mary's wedding and would have been close to her.

But then in 1965, Mary died and her sons had complicated love lives and divorces at that time and I imagine that The Queen boycotted them publically, but perhaps not privately....

They may all be 'in touch' privately still but are just not 'out front & center' like the Gloucesters and Kents.

Larry

Hi Larry, you're right with Princess Mary. I know a story, that she shared time with Prince Charles, when he was a child. BTW, I read in a book, that Mary didn't attend the wedding of HM and Prince Philip because the Duke of Windsor wasn't invited - official version was, that she couldn't attend cause she was sick on this day.

I did a research today on the website of James Lascelles (Son of Earl Harewood and Greatgrandson of King George V.) and there's an interesting note - he is a musician - that he played last year in Highgrove with his band. It could be the 60th birthday of HRH, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
HM is the same distance cousin wise with the Lascelles Family as she is with the Kents and Gloucesters... It is a shame you never see any of the Lascelles Family except on the most important occasions like the 60th wedding anniversary... Who knows? Maybe their marital issues through the past two generations have played a part. Not that the Queen should talk...considering 3 out of 4 of her children's marriages were messes.

Didn't James Lascelles live in the United States for a time (I believe in New Mexico)? Also, wasn't his second wife a Native American?

HM is the same distance cousin wise with the Lascelles Family as she is with the Kents and Gloucesters... It is a shame you never see any of the Lascelles Family except on the most important occasions like the 60th wedding anniversary... Who knows? Maybe their marital issues through the past two generations have played a part. Not that the Queen should talk...considering 3 out of 4 of her children's marriages were messes.

I agree with you. Its a pity, that there's no regard on this part of the family - Princess Mary for example is one of the most unknown members of the family IMO and thats also sad, as she seems to have been a dutiful person (I would like to know more about her). But well, she was "only" a daughter of a King who had four other sons and because she was created Princess Royal she bequeathed no title...

Maybe it has something to do with, that Princess Mary - I suppose - was very loyal with her brother the Duke of Windsor??

:previous:

Thank you very much for posting this, Mermaid! :flowers: I could imagine, that this maybe has something to do with, that the interaction of the Queen and her family with the Lascelles-Family wasn't that good after all. I read in some books about Lord Mountbatten, that HM and her mother especially were a little resentful with people which shared a good contact with the Duke in his later years... I read, the Queen mother was never really good with Lord Mounbatten because he was such a good friend of the Duke. But I can be absolutely wrong in my assumptions.

Just because we don't see the Lascelles family on a regular basis (for example at the Trooping) it doesn't mean that the Queen does not have any relationship with the family. I believe at one point...they have been at the Trooping. I also recall them being at the Wedding Anniversary of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip.

And yes, Princess Mary was loyal to the Duke of Windsor but hardly think that would mean the Queen and her family would freeze out her sons. But let's also remember that the scandal of Lascelles boys happened in what the 1960/1970's....the world was a bit different then.

I'm sure the Queen probably has fondness for her Lascelles cousins dating back to their childhood, but if you don't keep close to your relatives your ties loosen very quickly (I know, I avoided my family for a number of years) and you become strangers. I just wouldn't expect the younger generations to be close at all.

They have been on the Trooping?? May I ask, when? I can't remember one picture.

Well, if they are in interaction or not - the Earl of Harewood is a cousin of the Queen as well as Prince Michael of Kent or the Duke of Gloucester for example and for that I still wonder, that he isn't seen on the most family occasions.

My résumé now is, that it is maybe just an similar situation like with Marina Mowatt.

And yes, Princess Mary was loyal to the Duke of Windsor but hardly think that would mean the Queen and her family would freeze out her sons. But let's also remember that the scandal of Lascelles boys happened in what the 1960/1970's....the world was a bit different then.

No, I wouldn't say, only because of Marys loyalty, I only ment, there may have been a few causes for a not so good interaction. Sorry for confusion. Well, after all it maybe just can be the point, that the Lascelles-Family don't want public-attention as well... Its a mystery ;)

Given that they've been distant for some time, perhaps the younger Lascelles aren't as comfortable at those grand events and maybe they just don't have much in common with the Windsors, even the ones more distant from the throne.

I think, as well, that in time we will see less and less of the Kents and Gloucesters as the present Queen's grandchildren marry and have children.

The Kents and Gloucesters will be further removed from the throne and those closest to the throne will be the ones who appear officially at these events.

Just because we don't see them on the balcony etc doesn't mean they aren't there either. They mightn't want to be there to increase the privacy they enjoy by not being in the public eye.

I agree, I also think we won't see Lady Davina or Lady Rose for example that much on the balcony, when Charles or William will be reigning kings. I think, Duke of Gloucester and Duke of Kent are quite important titles, so we may see the current dukes, but not the whole family. I was only wondering, why the Viscount Lascelles isn't that much seen as he is a cousin of the Queen like Richard Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent. But well, I think we pointed out several causes for that here :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
And honestly, I wouldn't know anyone in the Lasvelles family if they knocked me over! Generally, the balcony is fairly large and is usually packed...they could be there and we wouldn't know it.

:previous:

I agree, Zonk. If I hadn't been that interested in King George V. and Queen Mary, I surely wouldn't know the Lascelles-Family. But as I collected all available pictures of Trooping the colour from the last 70 years in all possible archives ;), I can asure you, that I never seen anybody of the Lascelles-Family on the balcony since Princess Mary died. Maybe they were there, but as far as I searched through the pictures - not within the last 20 years.

But I just found an quite interesting article about David Lascelles, 21 march 2007:

http://www.ilkleygazette.co.uk/news/1276581.viscount_flies_in_the_face_of_slave_trade_history/

For those curious about Viscount Lascelles age - He was forty when he married Princess Mary in 1922 and died in 1947.

I always wondered about the Hon. Benjamin Lascelles. I wonder how he felt not being able to inherit the Earldom of Harewood because he was born before his parent's marriage. Is he angry with his parents for not marrying before his birth since they married anyways? Therefore, his younger brother, The Hon. Alexander Lascelles will be the 9th Earl. I wonder if there is some resentment (covert or overt). I know that Alexander has a son, born out of wedlock called Leo. Please give me your thoughts everyone.

Back
Top Bottom