The Honours thread 1: Until 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did actor Robert Hardy receive a knighthood?

As far as I can see, Robert Hardy received his CBE in the Queens's birthday list of 1981.

I'm not talking about honoring some of her family just because it's her birthday folks. I'm talking about honoring some of them for their personal service within her birthday year.

I just thought it would be nice to do so in this celebrational year that's all.

As far as I can see, Robert Hardy received his CBE in the Queens's birthday list of 1981.

Believe me I know. ;):D A CBE is not a knighthood. A KBE is.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about honoring some of her family just because it's her birthday folks. I'm talking about honoring some of them for their personal service within her birthday year.

For what??? That is the point people are making. What did they accomplish this year that they should be honored for??? Doing engagements for the queen? They get those honors at the jubilee celebrations, Kate got her first at the diamond. The birthday honors are for people who have achieved accomplishments. It would be downplaying and diminishing the accomplishments of the other recipients by simply awarding honors to royals for being royals. I am sure the other royals can hold out for an honor until another anniversary though it would likely be one of Charles.

Last edited:

She has already honoured:

Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Tim, Richard, Birgitte, Edward Kent, Katherine Kent, Michael and Alexandra for personal service.

The adults she hasn't honoured are: Kate, Beatrice, Eugenie and Marie-Christine.

None of these are full-time royals. She has insisted that royals actually earn their honours by working for her. Obviously she doesn't feel that these four have done enough to earn honours from her for service to her. She knows the standard she requires to be honoured and she doesn't believe they have done enough - even though some others may think that one or more of these ladies have done enough.

:previous: In the case of Princess Michael and Kate they have both received a diamond jubilee medal which are rewarded for service. Perhaps not at the level of some of the honors those you mentioned have, but still recognition.

Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne, Tim, Richard, Birgitte, Edward Kent, Katherine Kent, Michael and Alexandra for personal service.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't all of these already hold the highest honour in the Order of Victoria? The only other honours within the gift of the Queen are the Garter, the Thistle, the Companion of Honour and the Order of Merit. None meet the requirements for the Companion of Honour or Order of Merit and all of those born into the family, plus Philip have the Garter. Philip, Charles, Anne and William have the Thistle. That really doesn't leave a lot of scope.

From Court Circular:

11 June 2016

Major General Edward Smyth-Osbourne was received afterwards by The Queen upon relinquishing his appointment as Major General Commanding Household Division when Her Majesty conferred upon him the honour of Knighthood and invested him with the Insignia of a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order.

The adults she hasn't honoured are: Kate, Beatrice, Eugenie and Marie-Christine.

None of these are full-time royals. She has insisted that royals actually earn their honours by working for her. Obviously she doesn't feel that these four have done enough to earn honours from her for service to her. She knows the standard she requires to be honoured and she doesn't believe they have done enough - even though some others may think that one or more of these ladies have done enough.

Not sure if The Queen will give an honour to Beatrice and Eugenie because they're not senior working royals within the firm. Although, I hear Prince Andrew wouldn't mind if they were.

Catherine is a senior working member of the family. She has served The Queen throughout the UK and abroad for five years. She's the one that should be getting an honour soon for her service. She may not be considered a full-time royal, but then again, neither is her husband and brother in-law. They have honours. Let's not act like Catherine hasn't done not one thing within these five years since she became a senior working royal by saying "I will" in Westminster Abbey.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but don't all of these already hold the highest honour in the Order of Victoria? The only other honours within the gift of the Queen are the Garter, the Thistle, the Companion of Honour and the Order of Merit. None meet the requirements for the Companion of Honour or Order of Merit and all of those born into the family, plus Philip have the Garter. Philip, Charles, Anne and William have the Thistle. That really doesn't leave a lot of scope.

William and Charles arent members of the Royal Victorian Order.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong here. When discussing the Queen's birthday list for honors, it was suggested that the Queen honor some of her own family. From what I understand, there is a difference between the Honors list and what the Queen deems to award her family with.

The Honors List actually is drawn up by the Prime Minister (the government) and not HM. The Queen can and does approve the list but basically, those that are honored are those that have come to the government's attention or have been nominated for accomplishments in service to the UK.

So therefore, for a member of the royal family to be chosen and awarded and put on the Honors List, it would have to come through the government.

Chivalrous orders and the personal honors that HM bestows as her gift are totally separate from the Honors List.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this but thought I'd take a shot at it anyways. Too early in the morning and not enough coffee in the system yet. :D

You are correct. Anne, Zara and Tim have all been honoured in official birthday honours lists but none of the other royals.

These three were in the official lists for real achievements.

I personally think that the Queen should decide who gets an honour - by all means the Government should suggest people or bring them to her attention, but to avoid bias I think it should ultimately be the Queen's decision.

While waiting to watch the Service of Thanksgiving recently via Sky News on YouTube, I happened to notice in the scroll on the bottom of the screen that some were saying the recent Honors List was partial to the "ins" over the Brexit issue.

You make a good point Jack. :flowers:

:previous: Agreed. His tenure as artistic director for the Old Vic alone did a great deal for the theater world in London.

Sorry to repeat myself, but did actor Robert Hardy receive a knighthood in this year's Birthday List?

No he didn't

I don't want to offend my British friends- or ruin RH chances for a knighthood because I voice my disappointment too strongly- but this is 1000 percent wrong! Without getting too personal, disrespecting the privacy of others I love, and at the risk of coming across as a holier than thou jerk I don't know everything , but I think I know more than most people how much RH deserves this. Take me out of this for a second. Look at my profile picture folks. Now multiply that by I don't know how many thousands of children- many special needs. If that alone ain't deserving of a knighthood what is?
I wonder if I posted my friend's petition to get RH knighted and her Facebook page on here- how many signatures posts or tweets I could get? Maybe that would do some good...
Also and sorry if this is going OT, but is there an ACGAS expert on here? I have a line from the show going through my head, can't remember what episode it's from, and it's driving me nuts! Also did RH produce a series called Emergency in 2015?

It is possible that he has been offered a knighthood and turned it down. Those that are offered and refuse honours aren't announced.

It is possible that he has been offered a knighthood and turned it down. Those that are offered and refuse honours aren't announced.

My friend says she doesn't believe that to be the case here...

Correct me if I'm wrong here. When discussing the Queen's birthday list for honors, it was suggested that the Queen honor some of her own family. From what I understand, there is a difference between the Honors list and what the Queen deems to award her family with.

The Honors List actually is drawn up by the Prime Minister (the government) and not HM. The Queen can and does approve the list but basically, those that are honored are those that have come to the government's attention or have been nominated for accomplishments in service to the UK.

So therefore, for a member of the royal family to be chosen and awarded and put on the Honors List, it would have to come through the government.

Chivalrous orders and the personal honors that HM bestows as her gift are totally separate from the Honors List.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this but thought I'd take a shot at it anyways. Too early in the morning and not enough coffee in the system yet. :D

The Queen does honour members of her only family, though often these are announced at a different time to The Birthday or New Year's Honour list, I think it was announced she had made Andrew a Knight Grand Cross of the Victorian Order in March 2011 (much was made of it at the time as Andrew was at teh height of the Epstein scandal), neither the NY or Birthday honours are announced in March.

Zara and Tim were given honours in the usual manner announced in the usual way as they are awarded on the advice of the government rather than being personally chosen by the Queen - Zara for her sports success, Tim for his work in the Navy.

The only awards granted in the NY and Birthday honours the government does not decide upon are those decided by other government in the Commonwealth and those of the Royal Victorian Order which are awarded to staff in the Royal Household. Even for these though I think there is a set of rules followed (ie becoming a member of the RVO after 10 years service etc) rather than the Queen just deciding the lady who does the cleaning suddenly needs an honour.

My friend says she doesn't believe that to be the case here...

Unless your friend has information directly from him, in person, then they are guessing.

Many people have been offered honours and turned them down and we are never told.

Roseroyal, there in nothing to stop you and your friends from writing to the Prime Minister (I'm not sure what the contact list is for suggesting honors is) and bringing it to his attention that perhaps Robert Hardy should be honored with a KBE. It can't hurt to write.

Perhaps its just never happened as Hardy already has been honored with a CBE. Perhaps they are not aware of how extensive and lovingly Hardy has brought love and joy to so many people. He could have refused one as Iluvbertie has suggested. We just don't know and I don't think anyone here at TRF is in the position to really do anything. The Prime Minister (and the government) are the ones that nominate someone for a knighthood which the Queen then approves (unless the honor is turned down).

ETA: I did a little bit of digging for you and came up with a wonderful page that will inform and guide you in nominating Mr. Hardy for a KBE. It is a .pdf file and most systems have the reader already installed. If you have a problem with it, notify me privately and I'll walk you through it step by step so you have the information.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/245406/How_to_write_a_nomination.pdf

Last edited:
Roseroyal, there in nothing to stop you and your friends from writing to the Prime Minister (I'm not sure what the contact list is for suggesting honors is) and bringing it to his attention that perhaps Robert Hardy should be honored with a KBE. It can't hurt to write.

Perhaps its just never happened as Hardy already has been honored with a CBE. Perhaps they are not aware of how extensive and lovingly Hardy has brought love and joy to so many people. He could have refused one as Iluvbertie has suggested. We just don't know and I don't think anyone here at TRF is in the position to really do anything. The Prime Minister (and the government) are the ones that nominate someone for a knighthood which the Queen then approves (unless the honor is turned down).

ETA: I did a little bit of digging for you and came up with a wonderful page that will inform and guide you in nominating Mr. Hardy for a KBE. It is a .pdf file and most systems have the reader already installed. If you have a problem with it, notify me privately and I'll walk you through it step by step so you have the information.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/245406/How_to_write_a_nomination.pdf

Would it surprise you to know I have already contacted the PM?
Read the fine print- you have to be a British citizen to nominate. My friend is- and I help her.
Seems like I had something else to say, but I forgot it!
Actually there are 2 things you can do- go to my friends Facebook page - like it, and post your support-
https://www.facebook.com/roberthardyactor
My bad- my friends petition closed- but please everyone go to my friends Facebook and sign!

Last edited:
Why not? This is one of the things which make Great Britain great and makes me proud to be half british.

And our beloved Queen (again in high spirits) looks great:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/07/13/360A105E00000578-3678718-image-a-69_1467893044944.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/07/07/13/360A152700000578-3678718-image-a-70_1467893286858.jpg

I like seeing these orders of chivalry services, but I think the one thing The Queen has failed at is bringing diversity into these orders. There are so many people from all walks of life that has done some amazing things and who deserve such knighthoods and should be part of these ceremonies, but many of these orders don't include people of different backgrounds. I'm always seeing one particular race being installed in these orders and their nearly all older people.

Last edited:
I like seeing these orders of chivalry services, but I think the one thing The Queen has failed at is bringing diversity into these orders. There are so many people from all walks of life that has done some amazing things and who deserve such knighthoods and should be part of these ceremonies, but many of these orders don't include people of different backgrounds. I'm always seeing one particular race being installed in these orders and their nearly all older people.

I'm sorry I think this is not true. At the start of The Queen's reign there were no women admitted to the Garter or the Thistle. Now there are women.

Lord Patel was given the Thistle by The Queen in 2010, he is of Indian origin.

The honours lists are full of people of every race, colour and creed every year.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

A knighthood is the top of honor awards ladder, it is a lifetime achievement so the people that have one are going to be older. There are lower awards that people receive. Adele has a MBE already but she isn't getting a Damehood at 27. However, most likely she will have one in 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

A knighthood is the top of honor awards ladder, it is a lifetime achievement so the people that have one are going to be older. There are lower awards that people receive. Adele has a MBE already but she isn't getting a Damehood at 27. However, most likely she will have one in 30 years.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I understand the other awards that people receive and I think that's fantastic, but I think these orders need more diversity. When it comes to the Garter and other orders, I see a bad lack of diversity. Whenever I read about a new knight to be installed in these orders, I know it's going to be a typical recipient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom