The Heads Together Campaign: Activities from April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Untrue. They were negative before. Before Switzerland they fabricated the story that William and Catherine were responsible for the massive basement renovation of KP, something the press knew was untrue but they wanted a big headline hit piece, that they could later quietly retract with one hidden sentence.

As for this Head's Together Campaign, It's nice to see other posters responding so well to it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the over-sharing that the Queen's grandchildren seem to do. To me it's the emotional equivalent of posting a selfie on social media. So while others are clapping, I'm cringing. It's important to talk about your feelings and struggles with family and friends, and professional therapists if the conflict doesn't resolve itself, but the need to air it out to millions of strangers - it reminds me all too much of the wailing Sarah did on Oprah, or Diana's tell-alls. I like the old-school ways better. I like that Edward, Alexandra, and Michael don't bemoan to the media on a yearly basis the early loss of their father. I'm sure they dealt with the pain and frustration with those closest to them, but they don't seek the PR or the emotional validation from millions of strangers.

I can tell I'm in the minority on this, and that's fine. I just wanted to give a nod to the older royals, as I agree with them.
Yes, they were negative before (as they always are), but the Cambridges did receive more praise from the press after the full-time royal role thing become known.

The Heads Together Campaign:

1. It's good for those who are struggling.

2. It's good for the Cambridges.

3. The media likes it.

4. Most people likes it.

5. And I like it.

Untrue. They were negative before. Before Switzerland they fabricated the story that William and Catherine were responsible for the massive basement renovation of KP, something the press knew was untrue but they wanted a big headline hit piece, that they could later quietly retract with one hidden sentence.

As for this Head's Together Campaign, It's nice to see other posters responding so well to it. Personally, I'm not a fan of the over-sharing that the Queen's grandchildren seem to do. To me it's the emotional equivalent of posting a selfie on social media. So while others are clapping, I'm cringing. It's important to talk about your feelings and struggles with family and friends, and professional therapists if the conflict doesn't resolve itself, but the need to air it out to millions of strangers - it reminds me all too much of the wailing Sarah did on Oprah, or Diana's tell-alls. I like the old-school ways better. I like that Edward, Alexandra, and Michael don't bemoan to the media on a yearly basis the early loss of their father. I'm sure they dealt with the pain and frustration with those closest to them, but they don't seek the PR or the emotional validation from millions of strangers.

I can tell I'm in the minority on this, and that's fine. I just wanted to give a nod to the older royals, as I agree with them.

I get where you're coming from and in cases like Sarah on Oprah, it was like marketing her misery with an ulterior motive. Same with Diana's "tell all " books and such. There was an ulterior motive behind it. Its pretty easy to watch a person and listen to them and figure out where their head it at and what their motive for doing what they're doing is.

With Heads Together and speaking out and getting messages to as many people as possible, I've not seen one indication that anyone that is speaking out for this has any kind of personal ulterior motive. In fact, if I was to make a comparison between the interviews and videos to anything, it would be the 12 step programs designed for people with certain problems to come together, support each other and work together on the program to find a happy, stable life without the addiction. A big part of the program is giving back and telling one's story as not only inspiration and that one can succeed but also it very much tells someone new that they are never alone in their struggles.

These are the differences I see and your opinion, Miss Whirley, is very valid and I understand where you're coming from.

Read more: Duchess of Cambridge: hero Prince Harry has been 'brilliant'
he Duchess of Cambridge has praised her brother-in-law, Prince Harry, for speaking out about his own mental health, proclaiming him "brilliant".

The Duchess, who has today welcomed London Marathon runners to Kensington Palace to support charity Heads Together, said the mental health campaign this week has been "amazing".

Asked about Prince Harry's candid interview, in which he spoke of having counselling to come to terms with his mother's death, she said: “We all felt there was very much a campaign to get everyone talking and have these conversations.

"We’ve got to do the same, you know, so he’s been brilliant."

I get where you're coming from and in cases like Sarah on Oprah, it was like marketing her misery with an ulterior motive. Same with Diana's "tell all " books and such. There was an ulterior motive behind it. Its pretty easy to watch a person and listen to them and figure out where their head it at and what their motive for doing what they're doing is.

With Heads Together and speaking out and getting messages to as many people as possible, I've not seen one indication that anyone that is speaking out for this has any kind of personal ulterior motive. In fact, if I was to make a comparison between the interviews and videos to anything, it would be the 12 step programs designed for people with certain problems to come together, support each other and work together on the program to find a happy, stable life without the addiction. A big part of the program is giving back and telling one's story as not only inspiration and that one can succeed but also it very much tells someone new that they are never alone in their struggles.

These are the differences I see and your opinion, Miss Whirley, is very valid and I understand where you're coming from.

I think in the late Princess and Sarah's cases, they just needed to talk about their problems. In the 90's, the royal family, media and others just didn't think talking about depression, mental and personal issues were appropriate. Especially not out in the open for the world to hear.

The Cambridge's and Prince Harry is pretty much changing this out of date attitude with the Heads Together campaign. Harry's interview the other day would've been tabloid gold and royal PR trouble back in his moms day. Both William and Harry have been letting it known that the institution of the monarchy have to move with the times.

Video:
HRH The Duchess of Cambridge hosts the Heads Together Marathon Runners at Kensington Palace-
Home - ITNSource News

BTW, Catherine's private secretary, Rebecca Deacon, is back from her honeymoon.

Love the audio, because you can actually hear (clearly) Catherine talking to everyone.

Last edited:
I think in the late Princess and Sarah's cases, they just needed to talk about their problems. In the 90's, the royal family, media and others just didn't think talking about depression, mental and personal issues were appropriate. Especially not out in the open for the world to hear.

The Cambridge's and Prince Harry is pretty much changing this out of date attitude with the Heads Together campaign. Harry's interview the other day would've been tabloid gold and royal PR trouble back in his moms day. Both William and Harry have been letting it known that the institution of the monarchy have to move with the times.

I actually thought the very same thing, Dman, last night as I was reading more of Sally Bedell Smith's "Diana: Portrait of a Troubled Princess". After the marriage, Diana remarked that the royal family was "different" in the respects that they didn't talk about themselves, their feelings or anything personal. When Diana would exhibit signs of discontent, they would just look away and pretend that it wasn't there and that's where the term "ostritching" comes from in relation to the royal family.

As population increases and the global society gets smaller and smaller, we're finding that we really are living in troubled times and Heads Together is very much needed. When a need for something arises, it takes courage to go against age old traditional ways of dealing with something and work for a change. I can't help but think that perhaps what Diana went through and then being open about her problems such as bulimia, it opened the gate for her sons to go down that path with Heads Together.

Regardless of what may have been, Heads Together has been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come. :D

I actually thought the very same thing, Dman, last night as I was reading more of Sally Bedell Smith's "Diana: Portrait of a Troubled Princess". After the marriage, Diana remarked that the royal family was "different" in the respects that they didn't talk about themselves, their feelings or anything personal. When Diana would exhibit signs of discontent, they would just look away and pretend that it wasn't there and that's where the term "ostritching" comes from in relation to the royal family.

As population increases and the global society gets smaller and smaller, we're finding that we really are living in troubled times and Heads Together is very much needed. When a need for something arises, it takes courage to go against age old traditional ways of dealing with something and work for a change. I can't help but think that perhaps what Diana went through and then being open about her problems such as bulimia, it opened the gate for her sons to go down that path with Heads Together.

Regardless of what may have been, Heads Together has been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come. :D

Yeah, I just find this campaign mind blowing, because it's helping many people get real about mental illness and other personal issues practically everyone is facing.

It's truly amazing that these three most senior royals are heading Heads Together. I say this because they're from an old institution that didn't get involved in things like this, although many past and present members of the royal family have suffered from depression, mental illness, and a host of other issues. Keeping a stiff upper lip and not talking about these very important issues never really helped anyone, but made the person suffer in silence for the sake of the family, reputations and standing in society.

The Heads Toghether Campaign (who is what this campaign is about) has (as Osipi wrote) been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come.

Agree!

The Queen (as we have heard from several reliable people) tried to help/talk to Diana (who was very manipulative), but it diden't help.

This is the Lady who tells her staff to be kind, who helps traumatized aid workers etc. And as william has said, he can talk to the Queen about everything.

Sally Bedell Smith is a typical american who talk/writes about British royalty, and I have discovered several factual errors in what she writes/says. She has even said (in an article she wrote some weeks before her Charles biography come out) that Charles will be a political king.

The Heads Toghether Campaign (who is what this campaign is about) has (as Osipi wrote) been amazing so far and I expect more amazing to come.

Agree!

The Queen (as we have heard from several reliable people) tried to help/talk to Diana (who was very manipulative), but it diden't help.

This is the Lady who tells her staff to be kind, who helps traumatized aid workers etc. And as william has said, he can talk to the Queen about everything.

Sally Bedell Smith is a typical american who talk/writes about British royalty, and I have discovered several factual errors in what she writes/says. She has even said (in an article she wrote some weeks before her Charles biography come out) that Charles will be a political king.

Yes, The Queen tried to help, but The Queen isn't a professional counselor who's capable of helping someone with major deep and personal issues and marriages. Motherly and grandmotherly advice, yes.

The point I was trying to make that in the royal family, for example, at dinner, private and personal issues were avoided and not considered something appropriate to discuss or exhibit.

With the message of Heads Together, I would imagine that dinner talk about what's happening in the family's lives would be encouraged and there would be a strong support system at home. Families need to realize that being together as a family is one of the most important things in life. At least, I think so.

I can see this campaign expanding to the USA. I know we need to address this major issue in America.

:previous: Agree! In Norway, mental health is talked about all the time by both the King, Prime Minister and other politicians. News programs such as Good Morning Norway often invites ordinary people who struggle with all sorts of things to the studeo to talk about their feelings etc.

Last edited:
The beauty of Heads Together is that no matter what the royal engagement is, be it children related, military related, health care related or just about anything, it can be related to mental health issues.

This gives them the platform to enhance what is already there. We've seen that already in various aspects.

:previous: I fully agree, but they must be careful. Because they can quickly be perceived as too political, and then the press/politicians will turn on them (but we are far from there yet).

Last edited:
I think this would be as good as place as any Curryong. IMHO it's a good example of how a public figure can bring attention to a health issue and impact it in a positive manner.

Oh most definitely!! Diana speaking out on bulimia and her problems with it can and does make other people realize that if they have the same problem that if Diana can deal with it, so can they. its a huge incentive to get help.

This effect also works so very well in advertising. Macho Sports Star is see wearing pink and purple neon socks and overnight, everyone wants those pink and purple socks. Its the same with any clothing Kate, George or Charlotte wear (I left out William and his blue suit because we all know its boooring).

The more people that the public look up to and admire speak out on certain issues and perhaps, like Harry and Diana, share their own personal struggles, it can only be for good. When it comes to the issues of mental health, the more monkey see then monkey do, the better. :D

Another good outcome of this campaign is that perhaps it will even nudge some people to seriously consider going into the mental health field as a profession.

I don't know whether this is the right spot to put this, but in the light of recent discussions about members of the BRF coming forward about their coping issues I think it's interesting.

Diana Effect is Credited with Decline in Bulimia - Articles - Eating Disorders | HealthyPlace

Thanks Curryong I was flipping though this thread and was disappointed to see some people were using it to criticize Diana again. I think which ever royal is promoting mental health is doing a great job and even if it saves just one live it's been worth it. I love the way Will Kate and Harry are working together on something so dear to them

Last edited:

I suspect Sarah and Diana both could have done with some good therapy and mental health support, better than what someone in their position would feel comfortable seeking out at the time, anyway. They ended up giving interviews that feel to me like flailing out in bad ways in hopes of somehow stumbling into the kind of emotional leg up that comes from feeling heard, only they picked a quite unhealthy way to do it.

William and Harry, on the other hand, sound to me like people who have had very good counselling and/or support and have learned how to carefully share their story in a way that might be helpful to others. They got help when they were at their most vulnerable and waited to talk to the press until they were strong enough to be deliberate and measured in what they shared, as opposed to the way their mother and aunt went to the press in the middle of their lowest moments.

Oh most definitely!! Diana speaking out on bulimia and her problems with it can and does make other people realize that if they have the same problem that if Diana can deal with it, so can they. its a huge incentive to get help.

I would imagine Will and Harry have heard from many people at handshaking/ribbon cutting events over the years who wanted to tell them something like, "hearing your mother talk about her struggles helped me find the courage to get help." After all, by the time they started taking on those kinds of royal duties, she was no longer around for people to thank; her sons would be the next logical option for people who felt the impulse to offer that thanks in person. The vocal response of people who felt helped by Diana must surely have been a great lesson to them in the power of their position.

One of the things I find most fascinating about royal watching is seeing how the various royal families have adjusted their role to the times, finding what is most effective way to be of value to their nations in an era in this still relatively new era of the non-political monarch. Elizabeth II has done an excellent job of codifying how to make traditional, ceremonial duties feel vital in a modern era, rather than the self-serving "look at me, aren't I special, grovel all ye peons" attitude that many absolute monarchs once brought to them. I can't help but feel Heads Together is a sign of this new generation taking the next step, building on her advances by finding a way to do something similar to the more mundane, day-to-day royal duties.

The traditional schedule of seemingly random ribbon cuttings and such is clearly well-intentioned, it certainly achieves the purpose of being seen to be believed, but it does also have an air of "adding a royal makes anything more special, so let's just make everyone feel special by showing up to...well, whatever, I'm sure it's good." Developing more of an overall focus and message to the choice and nature of events and using multiple platforms to deliver that message adds a new layer of purpose and relevance that I think bodes well for the future of the monarchy. I do, however, feel like it's in something of a growing pains stage of development. Sorting out new ways of approaching the schedule, especially while there are other, unrelated, non-public responsibilities still taking up some of their time, means the meetings and organizational side to this work keeps them off camera and out of view in a way that doesn't feel "royal" enough. But I suspect that will change some as they and their staff get to a point where they have a strong formula and workflow for building and maintaining these more connectional, multi-pronged campaigns.

Last edited:
Here we go with some media backlash-
Royals criticised for their mental health revelatoins | Daily Mail Online

Again, people are missing the whole point. The William, Catherine and Harry don't feel sorry for themselves. They're just highlighting mental health, anxiety and depression issues people are having across the U.K. and world. They are trying to get people talking about these things that people don't normally talk about. People all over are suffering in silence because they may not have anyone to talk to and need a support team. The Cambridge's and Prince Harry are also sharing their stories and personal feelings.

Members of the media and other commentators need to stop thinking the royals have a perfect life and don't have any personal issues themselves.

How can the royals help get people talking about theses important issues, if they're not willing to talk about theirs?

Its kind of ironic too that the media that is proclaiming that the Cambridges and Harry are "feeling sorry for themselves" is exactly the attitude that Heads Together is working to abolish.

Yeps.. that's the ticket. Talking about problems you have or have had is a cry for attention and not something that really needed to be dealt with. Good going Daily Fail and its trolls.

If anyone is detrimental to what Heads Together is trying to accomplish, its articles like this and people that comment with their nasty on.

All the more reason to not read the Daily Fail. Ever.

Some angry people on twitter who don't like the monarchy and Katie Hopkins isn't what I will call media backlash. But as I said in another post, they have to be carfull, because they can quickly be perceived as too political. (but we are far from there yet)

Here we go with some media backlash-
Royals criticised for their mental health revelatoins | Daily Mail Online

Again, people are missing the whole point. The William, Catherine and Harry don't feel sorry for themselves. They're just highlighting mental health, anxiety and depression issues people are having across the U.K. and world. They are trying to get people talking about these things that people don't normally talk about. People all over are suffering in silence because they may not have anyone to talk to and need a support team. The Cambridge's and Prince Harry are also sharing their stories and personal feelings.

Members of the media and other commentators need to stop thinking the royals have a perfect life and don't have any personal issues themselves.

How can the royals help get people talking about theses important issues, if they're not willing to talk about theirs?

NEither Katie Hopkins nor the DM reflect public opinion. And repeating what they write/say is risky. They have had to pay out substantial damages and legal costs to one family; and Hopkins just been sued and lost for twitter comments.
And thats just in the past few months.

It seems to me that the DM is the go to publication on this forum for many posters. Thats fine but it is not reflecting the general view. And that applies even more so to the appalling Mail online.

Back
Top Bottom