The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2019, 03:55 PM
Serene Highness

Why are some asking for this project to be led by a British celebrity?

Is mental health a British/Commonwealth-only issue? I'm confused as to why some don't see Oprah—with her years of production, television, and movie experience—wouldn't be a good fit to produce a series of shows.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Lyonnaise-Just my own opinion that a UK/Commonwealth public figure might be a good option. Ms. Winfrey is an excellent interviewer, but IMO she's not the best option.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 PM
Courtier

As I had said earlier -
Last month Prince Charles appointed Lionel Richie (American) a global ambassador for The Prince’s Trust International; a charity set up and run by Prince Charles. Folks can work together "across the Isle" - for the common good.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
That's an excellent question that I have no answer for as I am not aware who might be the UK's version of Oprah Winfrey. So I typed " Who is the UK's most trusted public figure?" and came up with this link. Please note that the article is from 2018.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8143096.html

I've "bolded" anyone who was from the UK. Stephen Hawking is now deceased. If we remove #'s 4,5, and 7 that leaves Sir David Attenbourgh and Dame Judi Dench who do have some on camera experience.

Dame Judi Dench has participated in last year's Mental Health Minute Campaign.

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/news...flash-response
I don't think trust the only issue here. We are not just talking about someone in front of the camera, in fact, we don't even know what their role is in front of the camera. We are also talking about production experience, ability to interview people, and passion about this specific topic.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Which I believe that those two candidates that I mentioned are capable of providing. However you and I can certainly agree to disagree.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Lyonnaise-Just my own opinion that a UK/Commonwealth public figure might be a good option. Ms. Winfrey is an excellent interviewer, but IMO she's not the best option.
Apologies, but you still didn't answer the question. Why a UK/Commonwealth public figure?

The way I'm looking at it: Whomever first posted about this project decided to put it under the Heads Together thread, but we have no confirmation that it's a Heads Together initiative. This could have also gone under Harry's Current Events thread.

So, we have Harry and PERSON doing a global mental health documentary. The word global was used in the Instagram post ("sharing global stories of unparalleled human spirit")

Why then must PERSON be UK/Commonwealth? Is that just a preference on your part, because Harry is a British prince or is there a particular reasoning?

(I hope this doesn't come off confrontational. I do really want to understand why.)
Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Royal Highness

More on the new documentary series with Prince Harry on mental health. Oprah explains how the series came about. Harry will be executive producer:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oprah-w...th-made-clear/

A video is embedded in the article
Old 04-11-2019, 12:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyonnaise View Post
Apologies, but you still didn't answer the question. Why a UK/Commonwealth public figure?

The way I'm looking at it: Whomever first posted about this project decided to put it under the Heads Together thread, but we have no confirmation that it's a Heads Together initiative. This could have also gone under Harry's Current Events thread.

So, we have Harry and PERSON doing a global mental health documentary. The word global was used in the Instagram post ("sharing global stories of unparalleled human spirit")

Why then must PERSON be UK/Commonwealth? Is that just a preference on your part, because Harry is a British prince or is there a particular reasoning?

(I hope this doesn't come off confrontational. I do really want to understand why.)

No worries Lyonnaise. I don't find that you are being confrontational at all. IMO considering Harry's role with the Commonwealth I believe that choosing to partner with a public figure from one of those member nations would be a better option.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No worries Lyonnaise. I don't find that you are being confrontational at all. IMO considering Harry's role with the Commonwealth I believe that choosing to partner with a public figure from one of those member nations would be a better option.
OPRAH HAD A BILLION REASONS... Why I Picked Apple TV Over OWN for Harry Series.

Quote:
Check out the vid ... she hints that Apple TV has a bigger reach than OWN, which was launched in 2011 in just over 80 million homes. And therein lies the answer ... OWN's reach is only in the millions.

As you know ... she teamed up with the Duke of Sussex to co-produce a new series focusing on mental health. It's slated to debut next year on Apple TV. It's an issue that hits close to home ... so reaching a much bigger audience for such an important topic proved paramount.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/11/oprah...s-own-network/
Old 04-11-2019, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Has nothing to do with her recent relationship with Apple TV at all...
Old 04-11-2019, 01:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Seems to me that the most important thing about this documentary is not who is behind it or where its going to be shown at but rather the importance lies in the message itself and that it reaches the maximum amount of people as possible.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:20 PM
Majesty

The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke & Duchess of Sussex have announced the launch of 'Shout' - a free text message service offering 24/7 support to anyone in crisis. Based on Crisis Text Line in the US, this (very much needed) support network is the first of its kind in the UK.

In a video, Prince William has appealed for more Shout volunteers (they hope to reach 4000 by the end of year). You can do it from your sofa and choose the hours that work best for you.

https://www.giveusashout.org

Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 PM
Majesty

It seems to be a very interesting project.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke & Duchess of Sussex have announced the launch of 'Shout' - a free text message service offering 24/7 support to anyone in crisis. Based on Crisis Text Line in the US, this (very much needed) support network is the first of its kind in the UK.
For my understanding, is it new is that you can now text and previously you had to call - no option to text or send an app? Or were there no crisis hotlines available at all in the UK?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Announcing the initiative alongside the Duchess of Cambridge at Kensington Palace, the Duke said it would be a “huge difference to people’s lives”
Read more: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...text-service2/
Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
He revealed that the Shout service has been quietly trialled over the last year during which it has already helped 60,000 people.
Wonderful to see that Shout service has already assisted 60,000 people in the UK last year and hopefully will be able to reach even more people in crisis.

Quote:
He told how “Harry, Meghan, Katherine and I” had been closely involved with developing Shout over the past 12 months.
The project is the first joint initiative since the Duchess of Sussex joined the Royal family last year, and yesterday’s announcement the first since the couples formally separated their households amid rumours of contrasting working styles.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-problems.html

William and Kate search for 3,000 volunteers to help support people with mental health problems as they launch free UK help service 'Shout'
Old 05-10-2019, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Gettyimages has provided a gallery with undated photos:

** gettyimages: GBR: The Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge And The Duke And Duchess Of Sussex Launch "Shout" **
Old 05-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Courtier

SHOUT for support in a crisis

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxRvxA9Bz0v/

"Earlier last year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex began supporting this vital program behind the scenes by hosting a meeting at Kensington Palace with contributors and partners.

Last November, Their Royal Highnesses also made a surprise visit to meet with a group of Shout volunteers, and participated in a panel with mental health activist @bryonygordon hearing firsthand how the volunteers have found making the connection with vulnerable texters, a majority of whom are under 25, so rewarding - helping to get them through a moment of crisis to a calmer place, and giving them courage to find longer-term support."
Old 05-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Shout UK

Verified account

@GiveUsAShout
Follow Follow @GiveUsAShout
More
We were thrilled to welcome The Duke and Duchess of Sussex to our #Volunteer event in November where The Duke of Sussex encouraged everyone to spread the word about #volunteering with Shout. #GiveUsAShout

Find out more --> https://www.giveusashout.org/volunteer-with-us/

https://twitter.com/GiveUsAShout/sta...10384227360768