The Future of the British Monarchy 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread has been cleaned up.

Several posts have been edited. A reminder about our FAQ:

I'm a member of a royal family or a friend or associate of royalty. Why can't I talk about my inside information here?

Our rules about privacy include a rule protecting the privacy of royals. We have no way of verifying that any of our posters are really members, or friends and associates of members, of royal or noble houses, and we've had a lot of these claims over the years. Our rule requiring verifiable sources of discussion applies in these cases. Unverified claims or statements of connections to royalty may be deleted at the discretion of the moderators.

Last edited:
Even though his brothers have paid for very long leases the 'visual' is that they are living 'rent free' in state owned properties. He needs to make sure that how the monarchy is perceived is valid in the modern age when there are many vocal opponents, while the supporters largely are silent.

He wants his brothers to have to 'buy' their own properties rather than live in Crown Estate properties. He also wants the York girls out of any state owned property.

Some years ago the Americans wanted to have KP as their embassy and although that didn't happen it is possible that Charles intends on getting everyone out of KP and having it used as offices or something similar.
I don’t think he will do that. At least not at this moment, it’s not necessary and I would rather wait to see news than rumors or hearsay.

Archaic sure, but what's colonial about footmen and couriers?
I don’t think he will change those things and I don’t see why he will. Very superficial and pointless changes. If he thinks of modernity on those lines, those are just the tips of the iceberg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t think he will do that. At least not at this moment, it’s not necessary and I would rather wait to see news than rumors or hearsay.

Prince Andrew has a long-term lease on Royal Lodge. I don't know English property law, but can he be legally evicted at will like that, as some posters have suggested?

Prince Andrew has a long-term lease on Royal Lodge. I don't know English property law, but can he be legally evicted at will like that, as some posters have suggested?
I’m not sure, but I don’t think he will do that. What serious reason would he have for evicting him? No one really cares what Andrew does now. To evict him would bring unnecessary attention to Andrew.

no, it would be complicated to evict him unless there was some good reason fo breakng the lease. And it would be ridiculous. Andre has to live somewhere, and in Windsor he can have security around him, and he has a large house that he can potter around in. Why would Charles be so foolish or so petty as to try and move him?

Andrew is unlikely to be evicted. If Charles decides that Andrew has to move to a different property, this will be a private agreement between Charles and Andrew.

Separately, the Crown Estate will need to agree to buy back the lease on Royal Lodge from Andrew at commercial terms, unless there are specific provisions in relation to buyback in the lease agreement.

The end of the Royalty as we knew it, is gone. A new era is here. I believe slowly the Royal family will go by the way side. Time will tell but I am not seeing positive things from Charles.

The end of the Royalty as we knew it, is gone. A new era is here. I believe slowly the Royal family will go by the way side. Time will tell but I am not seeing positive things from Charles.

In what way are you "not seeing positive things from Charles"?

Could you divulge a bit more on why you believe this and what you are seeing from Charles reign so far? In his nearly three months as King it has been pretty much business as usual from the previous reign, albeit, a bit more relaxed and informal.

Did you think he would hit the ground running>
He has been in the role for less than 3 months, a month of that in mourning. What did you expect as an opening gambit. ?
Sudden changes with titles, houses and people or what

They are a family and mourning the death of their mother not just the Queen.

Last edited:
I think we'll see more of the "real" future of the RF next year after the coronation. For now I think they are simply "defaulting" to the late Queen's direction and methods both as a "tribute" but also as it gives everyone an idea of what to do and how to do it.

I think we'll see more of the "real" future of the RF next year after the coronation. For now I think they are simply "defaulting" to the late Queen's direction and methods both as a "tribute" but also as it gives everyone an idea of what to do and how to do it.

I wondered if we would start to hear of/ see changes in the early part of the year. Charles will have had time to set up his team behind the scenes as he now wants it to run, the family will be together over Christmas, allowing for the conversations to take place.
The Wales's will have had an opportunity to settle into their new role.

But I do think you are correct that we will see the real changes after the coronation.

I think we'll get some "drip drip drip" of new things after the Christmas break - inevitably decisions will be made by then and they will help change the momentum from "tribute to the late Queen" and more to "excitement and acceptance of something new" ready for the coronation.

Latest YouGov poll:
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...e-harrys-popularity-falls-further-spare-hits-

Full result (pdf)

(...)
In fact, Prince Harry and wife Meghan are now so disliked by older Britons that their popularity ratings are worse than Prince Andrew’s among the over-65s. While 60% of the oldest generation have a “very” negative view of Prince Andrew, that rises to 69% for Meghan and 73% for Prince Harry.

Positivity scores for all other royal figures, and the institution of the monarchy in general, remain effectively the same, with the exception of Camilla, who has seen a four-point decrease in the number holding a positive view of her (to 46%).

Nevertheless, the popularity of Prince William and wife Catherine is down over the longer term, with their figures the lowest recorded to date.

All the royal rowing means that Princess Anne – who has escaped the drama – is now the most popular major royal in the UK. Seven in ten hold a positive view of her (72%), and while this is a similar figure to Prince William (70%) and Catherine (68%), she is disliked by fewer people, giving her a higher net score of +59 to the Prince of Wales’s +49 and the Princess of Wales’s +50.

(...)

I wonder why they never include Sophie in their poll.

Yeah but I get how it looks too. They all have multiple ginormous homes they barley live in. The Queen was able to distribute the properties, Charles will have a harder time making that look good.

That is just the issues with a modern monarchy. They will figure it out.
But not all the properties are lived in or used by royals, some real estate are privately rented or leased by private individuals. The real estate is just part of the parcel of the monarchy, see Spain, prior to the exiles of the royal family, they used to have much wealth and property but lost them because of the exiles they experienced and even now the Spanish monarchy isn’t the wealthiest but people still complain.

I wonder why they never include Sophie in their poll.
Maybe there are too many 'don't know' answers for her because unless you follow the BRF, you wouldn't come across her much in the national media.

Maybe there are too many 'don't know' answers for her because unless you follow the BRF, you wouldn't come across her much in the national media.

But you could also say that about Prince Edward, couldn’t you? In fact even more so.

And if you YouGov are going to continually include non working royals like the Sussexes in this polling, a couple who don’t even live in Britain any more, then surely all the non working royals should be included, such as Andrew’s daughters for instance. Why not just restrict these polls to the nine or ten individuals (if elderly royals like the Gloucesters and Kents are included) who are actually on the royal roster at this time?

Last edited:

What has he done so far that is so much different from his mother ?

I have only seen a family continuing with business as usual and that’s how i expect it to continue…

What has he done so far that is so much different from his mother ?

I have only seen a family continuing with business as usual and that’s how i expect it to continue…

Exactly,and nothing less then that!If people fail to see anything positive then they should either get new lenses or a better newspaper.

Australia's central bank has announced that King Charles will not feature on the next design of the $5 note. Instead, the new design will pay tribute to "the culture and history" of indigenous Australians.

The new design will take time to prepare, so the current note, featuring a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, will remain in use for several years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64493849

It will be interesting to see what Canada does when the time comes to update the $20 bill. If it will switch to a portrait of Charles, or go in another direction as well.

I wondered if we would start to hear of/ see changes in the early part of the year. Charles will have had time to set up his team behind the scenes as he now wants it to run, the family will be together over Christmas, allowing for the conversations to take place.
The Wales's will have had an opportunity to settle into their new role.

But I do think you are correct that we will see the real changes after the coronation.

I'm not sure there's that many different ways to 'do' being a royal family.

The BRF certainly are missing the presence of the Queen as she was the only one who had any real gravitas. I agree with the poster who said they think it will gradually fall away in time. The only long term future it has would be if William's children are interested in the life and that's far from guaranteed.

Polls show that most people are in favour of the monarchy and have a good opinion of senior members of the Royal Family. Why should it fall away? It's doing perfectly well.

Australia's central bank has announced that King Charles will not feature on the next design of the $5 note. Instead, the new design will pay tribute to "the culture and history" of indigenous Australians.

The new design will take time to prepare, so the current note, featuring a portrait of Queen Elizabeth II, will remain in use for several years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-64493849

It will be interesting to see what Canada does when the time comes to update the $20 bill. If it will switch to a portrait of Charles, or go in another direction as well.

See the discussion in the "The King, the Royal Family and the Commonwealth" thread. :flowers:

Unlike his late mother, King Charles III will not appear on Australian banknotes .

Note: King Charles III's effigy will still be on Australian coins though.

https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...and-the-commonwealth-49549-2.html#post2529415

Mods, feel free to delete my bank note post, since it is a duplicate.

I'm never quite sure what thread to post in. The site can be confusing sometimes.

The Future of the British Monarchy

Polls show that most people are in favour of the monarchy and have a good opinion of senior members of the Royal Family. Why should it fall away? It's doing perfectly well.
I am happy to read this. But I, always a staunch believer in the british monarchy, have my doubts now. Especially since Her late Majesty´s death, signs of corrosion start to emerge everywhere, within the family and outside... And why would an anglican faith person, let´s say in 15 or20 years be regarded as head of state of Britain who is also head of a family, creating scandals since about 30 years…

This won´t happen in 3 or 5 years - but all of our political systems and form of governments will change radically in the next decades. I hope and pray for the royal family this won´t happen and I am wrong - but this would need an unlikely miracle to happen...

Last edited by a moderator:
The roots of monarchy run very deep on this island so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. In the ossuary chests at Winchester Cathedral are the bones of Saxon kings from one & a half thousand years ago. The King is a direct descendent.

What constitutes the royal family & what they do may well change. After all the present model of (some) relatives of the monarch carrying out duties on behalf of the crown is not really that old. The controversies around The King’s second son, & his oldest brother, may well accelerate such change. What worked from the late C19th on & throughout the C20th may no longer be appropriate.

And England was still very much a monarchy under the first Elizabeth when there was no English royal family whatsoever.

The roots of monarchy run very deep on this island so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. In the ossuary chests at Winchester Cathedral are the bones of Saxon kings from one & a half thousand years ago. The King is a direct descendent.

What constitutes the royal family & what they do may well change. After all the present model of (some) relatives of the monarch carrying out duties on behalf of the crown is not really that old. The controversies around The King’s second son, & his oldest brother, may well accelerate such change. What worked from the late C19th on & throughout the C20th may no longer be appropriate.

And England was still very much a monarchy under the first Elizabeth when there was no English royal family whatsoever.

The King is no direct descendant, from father or mother, to Saxon Kings. With some zig-zagging and hop-hopping descendance can be traced. The late Duke of Edinburgh was a direct descendant of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs and the Battenbergs. The late Queen was a direct descendant of the Sachsen-Coburgs and the Bowes-Lyons.

He's directly descended from Anglo-Saxon kings via Matilda, the wife of Henry I, and another Matilda, the wife of William the Conqueror.

Back
Top Bottom