The Future of the British Monarchy 2: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's about the perception of personal wealth and luxurious living. We all know how important PR is in the corporate and political spheres so it's no surprise that PR should be important to the monarchy. I think they do understand how important it is and they know there will only be a monarchy as long as the majority of the population want it.

People expect a royal family to have wealth and luxury but I think there's a sweet spot between too much and not enough. Excessive wealth or possessions don't bother me personally because I'm financially comfortable but I know for a fact that it bothers many people who are struggling. These possessions are also a stick with which to beat them by republicans and although those voices are a minority, they could become louder as the more monarchist older generations die off.

Gestures can be powerful and although some might accuse HMK of 'virtue signalling', he wouldn't do himself any harm if he bequeathed some properties and possessions to the nation and made others even more publicly accessible than they are currently.
Again, they don’t OWN majority of the properties that they use. People sometimes complain about others lavish lives when if they were in their position, they will do the same if not live more lavishly. There’s nothing to bequeath because they don’t own much. Some real estate are rented or leased out by private people.

Again, they don’t OWN majority of the properties that they use.
I haven't suggested they sell or give away anything they don't own. Some of the properties that are owned by the crown estate could cease to be used as residences. I hope my posts have been clear but feel free to quote which ones you'd like to discuss further - preferably in the royal residences thread.

I haven't suggested they sell or give away anything they don't own. Some of the properties that are owned by the crown estate could cease to be used as residences. I hope my posts have been clear but feel free to quote which ones you'd like to discuss further - preferably in the royal residences thread.

but what exactly is the point of this? They may make some changes, but there are difficulties with renting out properties on royal estates because of security, you can't just let them to anybody. I'm sure that Charles wants to do a bit of cutting back and William will also be a cutter back, but it's not that easy to find uses for houses on the royal estates.... so they may as well be used at present for royals to live in.

Last edited:

So, who owns the properties that they use?

BP, Windsor, KP, St James', Holyrood and Hillsborough belong to the Crown Estate

Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall

Royal Lodge, Bagshot also belong to the Crown Estate

Sandringham and Balmoral, including Anmer and Birkhall are the private property of The King

Gatcombe is the private property of Princess Anne.

but what exactly is the point of this? They may make some changes, but there are difficulties with renting out properties on royal estates because of security, you can't just let them to anybody. I'm sure that Charles wants to do a bit of cutting back and William will also be a cutter back, but it's not that easy to find uses for houses on the royal estates.... so they may as well be used at present for royals to live in.

Yeah but I get how it looks too. They all have multiple ginormous homes they barley live in. The Queen was able to distribute the properties, Charles will have a harder time making that look good.

That is just the issues with a modern monarchy. They will figure it out.

Last edited:
well what properties should he get rid of? What would be the point, as most of them are open to the public and are used quite a bit anyway,

These comments reminded me a situation I read happening in Spain were the president of one of the communities, which in the USA would be equivalent of a governor of sorts, wants the King to give up the summer royal palace, Marivent, as well as the Spanish language to be removed from usage.

On the UK side my opinion is that these properties need to stay within the Royal Family sphere, even if they became available as part time museums. Like the Palacio de Oriente in Madrid. The relationship that these properties have, as part of historical events in the past and in the futire, makes them a bit more special for visitors.

As a person who often visits the spectacular gilded age mansions museums in NY, knowing the property is still in use or attached to the family gives it a sense of continuity. Last month we visited for the second time in four years the John D. Rockefeller Estate in NY called Kykuit full of Picassos, Andy Warhol's and modern art worth billions. And parts of the estate are still in use by the family as headquarters to their charities.

Case and point, amongst many things, Balmoral will now be remembered as the final resting place of the longest living female monarch in history. Buildings are not just stone and masonry, these royal properties have a sense of history still being made that tourists love to hear about in the tours.

Last edited:
but there is not much point in not living in a property some of he time when there is not much else that can be done with it. Frogmore cott went to Eugenie as a rented home, because it was too near Windsor to let to a non royal.

And Frogmore Cottage will remain mostly empty like many of the other properties. That issue will only get bigger because Anne, Kents, etc aren't getting any younger.

And Frogmore Cottage will remain mostly empty like many of the other properties. That issue will only get bigger because Anne, Kents, etc aren't getting any younger.

but its not empty, is it? Eugenie is living there as far as I know, and Harry can use it when he comes back to the UK. As for the other royals, they all have children who will need places to live.

but its not empty, is it? Eugenie is living there as far as I know, and Harry can use it when he comes back to the UK. As for the other royals, they all have children who will need places to live.

Eugenie and her family are now in Portugal, right? They moved out months ago. It is now only occupied when Harry and Meghan are in the UK, for now.

Based on the new plan the only ones who will need it will be George and his future family. Charlotte and Louis eventually and temporarily too but then their family will need to figure out their lives as they will not be working royals.

This is the new way. Plenty time until all this happens anyways. They are not even 10 years old yet.

Eugenie and her family are now in Portugal, right? They moved out months ago. It is now only occupied when Harry and Meghan are in the UK, for now.

Based on the new plan the only ones who will need it will be George and his future family. Charlotte and Louis eventually and temporarily too but then their family will need to figure out their lives as they will not be working royals.

This is the new way. Plenty time until all this happens anyways. They are not even 10 years old yet.

Oh I forgot that, but odds are that she won't be in Portugal permanently.

Case and point, amongst many things, Balmoral will now be remembered as the final resting place of the longest living female monarch in history. Buildings are not just stone and masonry, these royal properties have a sense of history still being made that tourists love to hear about in the tours.
The queen's final resting place is Windsor. Balmoral will indeed be remembered as the place where she spent many happy summers and passed away.

Who says Charlotte and Louis won't be working royals? When William is king, I can see them filling the same roles that Anne and Edward filled for QEII.

I fully expect Charlotte and Louis to be working royals in the style of The Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex and Forfar. Their great uncle and aunt have laid a pretty solid foundation and plan for them to follow in a way that is respectful, effective, and avoids criticism. Whether or not their spouses follow a Sir Tim or Countess Sophie route will remain to be seen - but I am certain their children will only be Lady or Lord at most.

I fully expect Charlotte and Louis to be working royals in the style of The Princess Royal and the Earl of Wessex and Forfar. Their great uncle and aunt have laid a pretty solid foundation and plan for them to follow in a way that is respectful, effective, and avoids criticism. Whether or not their spouses follow a Sir Tim or Countess Sophie route will remain to be seen - but I am certain their children will only be Lady or Lord at most.

Charlotte's children won't be Lord/Lady unless William grants her husband-to-be a peerage title of some kind, otherwise, they'd be just like Anne's kids; Mr. and Miss.

Charlotte's children won't be Lord/Lady unless William grants her husband-to-be a peerage title of some kind, otherwise, they'd be just like Anne's kids; Mr. and Miss.

I understand that, hence the "at most". However, I do believe that the gender discrimination with titles and inheritance will not be a thing for the royal family come Charlotte and Louis.

Or unless Charlotte marries a title-holder in the nobility or foreign royalty… Not very likely nowdays but not impossible

No, that is not the only way they could become Lord/Lady. They would also become Lord/Lady if their mother was granted a peerage, or if they were granted the courtesy titles in their own right.

No, that is not the only way they could become Lord/Lady. They would also become Lord/Lady if their mother was granted a peerage, or if they were granted the courtesy titles in their own right.
But neither of those are likely. The only real chance is if she marries a British peer or foreign noble or royal with legal titles in an extant monarchy.

But neither of those are likely. The only real chance is if she marries a British peer or foreign noble or royal with legal titles in an extant monarchy.

I disagree, if they are still giving out Royal Dukedoms when they come of age, or are married, I think Charlotte and Louis will receive them in their own right similar to the way the Spanish do it. I personally wish they would abandon HM's custom of awarding it on marriage and give them one on their 18th birthday. My own personal hope is that they also adopt a Swedish model and make the Dukedoms just a lifetime title instead of an inherited one.

Reading this post I am saddened that even royalists are claiming the RF live luxurious lives. Why are people perpetuating the republican myths? A President wouldn't give up the chance to live at Windsor Castle would they? I would venture that a president who has to concern themselves with being re-elected would actually cost MORE than the RF!

Attacking the RF is mealy-mouthed - there are plenty in this country have live on far more money and have more extravagant lifestyles than the RF - but people are not attacking them, and they would still be having their extravagances if we were in a republic!

I disagree, if they are still giving out Royal Dukedoms when they come of age, or are married, I think Charlotte and Louis will receive them in their own right similar to the way the Spanish do it. I personally wish they would abandon HM's custom of awarding it on marriage and give them one on their 18th birthday. My own personal hope is that they also adopt a Swedish model and make the Dukedoms just a lifetime title instead of an inherited one.
Charlotte won’t receive a dukedom in her own right. Daughters didn’t have a dukedom in their own right. She might get Princess Royal but that’s not a title will be passed on.

Reading this post I am saddened that even royalists are claiming the RF live luxurious lives. Why are people perpetuating the republican myths? A President wouldn't give up the chance to live at Windsor Castle would they? I would venture that a president who has to concern themselves with being re-elected would actually cost MORE than the RF!

Attacking the RF is mealy-mouthed - there are plenty in this country have live on far more money and have more extravagant lifestyles than the RF - but people are not attacking them, and they would still be having their extravagances if we were in a republic!
These are easy digs to make at royals who historically have been accused on being parasites or hangers-on. People would say back well with the politicians are elected and we can kick them out if they mess up.

It is true. The Portuguese Republic costs five times more than the Spanish royal house.
And BRF gives the UK a lot of money to earn. The country profits from the royal family.
The royal family has every right to use their properties and many of these properties have special meaning for BRF.

Charlotte won’t receive a dukedom in her own right. Daughters didn’t have a dukedom in their own right. She might get Princess Royal but that’s not a title will be passed on.

Yes I understand that this has been the current practice until now EXCEPT for the Dukedom of Fife which Queen Victoria allowed to be passed down, and inherited, through the female line.

But this is the 21st century and there's no reason to believe Charlotte wont be treated equally to Louis. But we shall see with time.

Just because it hasn’t been done doesn’t mean that it can’t or won’t be. Time to move on.

I would love to see Charlotte get a Dukedom in her own right and certainly hope one day a female royal does, however I'm not sure it would be Charlotte - she will one day be "Princess Royal" and if they really do want to limit royal titles in the future I can't see them handing out any titles unnecessarily. TBH personally I'd be happy if Charlotte and Louis' partners and children all went untitled, I'd say limit them to only the children of the heir each generation.

I would love to see Charlotte get a Dukedom in her own right and certainly hope one day a female royal does, however I'm not sure it would be Charlotte - she will one day be "Princess Royal" and if they really do want to limit royal titles in the future I can't see them handing out any titles unnecessarily. TBH personally I'd be happy if Charlotte and Louis' partners and children all went untitled, I'd say limit them to only the children of the heir each generation.

They will move to life peers eventually.

Charlotte getting a dukedom in her own right would only create more titled people, and if the ultimate goal of reform is to slim down the monarchy so that only the direct line of succession is titled, that would exclude Charlotte and her younger brother. Now, if something happened to George, and let's hope that doesn't happen, then Charlotte becomes the heir apparent, and things change for her. Not for Louis, though. He's the spare of the spare.

Back
Top Bottom