The Future of the British Monarchy 1: 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the future king and not the papers or politicians who told the public that his wife would not be his queen.

Camilla will be Queen Camilla. She is not a Princess, so if they want her to be "Princess Consort", they would first have to create her a Princess in her own rights. But as a Queen she is just a consort to the King.

I am not clear on how your second statement relates to the first. But it does not bear on the fact that the concept of Camilla being known as Princess Consort rather than Queen is only taken seriously because it was her own husband who announced it in 2005, and not because of politicians or the press.

She will no longer be a princess once Charles is king; that's the problem of making her a 'princess consort'.

Not wishing to repeat the discussions on this issue that have been had in the thread on titles, I will say that while I think the Princess Consort plan has been abandoned, I wouldn't expect most politicians or members of the British public to consider it a problem.

I can't recall but I thought that they had taken the bit about Princess Consort off the webiste for a time and then it went back

No, it was not put back.

FAQs | Prince of Wales

Charles has already been voted as the next Head of the Commonwealth. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/20/prince-charles-next-head-commonwealth-queen

I know there was some discussion about rotating the Head in the future, but it was my understanding that alternatives were not from within the Royal Family itself, but representatives of each Commonwealth country. In other words, I don't believe there was any serious movement to name William or Harry as the future Head, skipping Charles.

Should Charles pass away before the Queen, I believe William will be voted as the next Head, or the rotation proposition will pass, and William would be the U.K. representative for the U.K's time of rotation. I do not think a different Royal will be voted as Head of the Commonwealth in William's lifetime

(I also think that the rotation scheme will likely be put in place someday, not so much under an anti-royalist statement, but as a natural evolution of the success of the Commonwealth's growth. And with a pared-down monarchy, it may greatly benefit William and George down the line to not be the sole Head of the Commonwealth.)

You are right, the discussion about future rotating the Commonwealth Heads is to be amongst Heads of States each Commonwealth country, and it was not anti-royalist at all.

There is no way William(now) or Harry(ever) would be voted, because they are not Heads of State, and even Charles will only Head it once he becomes Head of State of UK.

I am sure when Charles heads it, he can send whomever he wants to represent him at the meetings in other countries.

I do not know if the Commonwealth Realms Heads of Governments would also be considered Heads of State when it comes to rotation!

The population of Spain is approximately two-thirds the size of Britain's, not much smaller.

I would add that the Spanish constitution says that the King "assumes the highest representation of the Spanish State in international relations, especially with the nations of its historical community."

As a result, the Spanish royal family has a special connection with countries that are part of the former Spanish colonial empire, especially the so-called Ibero-American countries. In fact, the King of Spain is the honorary president of the Organization of Ibero-American States and attends all Ibero-American Summits, which are held annually. As Prince of Asturias, D. Felipe is also known to have attended several presidential inaugurations in Ibero-American countries and he and Doña Letizia have traveled extensively in Latin America, both as Prince/Princess of Asturias and as King/Queen.

It is not quite as broad as the BRF's role in the Commonwealth, but the Spanish monarchy also has a more limited multinational representation role that goes beyond the borders of Spain properly.

Last edited:
I would add that the Spanish constitution says that the King "assumes the highest representation of the Spanish State in international relations, especially with the nations of its historical community."

As a result, the Spanish royal family has a special connection with countries that are part of the former Spanish colonial empire, especially the so-called Ibero-American countries. In fact, the King of Spain is the honorary president of the Organization of Ibero-American States and attends all Ibero-American Summits, which are held annually. As Prince of Asturias, D. Felipe is also known to have attended several presidential inaugurations in Ibero-American countries and he and Doña Letizia have traveled extensively in Latin America, both as Prince/Princess of Asturias and as King/Queen.

It is not quite as broad as the BRF's role in the Commonwealth, but the Spanish monarchy also has a more limited multinational representation role that goes beyond the borders of Spain properly.

And currently, they have a problem in sending representation to the various events (mostly inaugurations) that they would have attended previously. So, I think the Spanish case shows that it is rather instable if you fully rely on the direct line of succession - especially in the first years of a new reign when the heir is underage.

Yes I think that Princess consort was a bad idea.. but they may stick iwth it. I dont think that anyone wil ojbect if its declared that she wants to be known as Princess Consort, even if it is not her official title.

There's also the odd, lame duck idea that Camilla could be known as The Duchess of Lancaster. I don't think that's been done before. The Queen is actually the *Duke* of Lancaster. :D

There's also the odd, lame duck idea that Camilla could be known as The Duchess of Lancaster. I don't think that's been done before. The Queen is actually the *Duke* of Lancaster. :D

At least that would be based in Charles' actual title, so if they don't want to make her a princess in her own right nor want her to be queen; this might be a solution.

We in Lancashire do drink formal toasts to "The Queen, Duke of Lancaster" :) , but I think the last person to be addressed and known as "Duchess of Lancaster" must have been Katherine Swynford!

The Princess Consort idea probably seemed sensible in 2005, when some people were still very wound up about Diana, but I don't see why Camilla shouldn't be known by her proper title of Queen, when the time comes. But we'll see.

We in Lancashire do drink formal toasts to "The Queen, Duke of Lancaster" :) , but I think the last person to be addressed and known as "Duchess of Lancaster" must have been Katherine Swynford!

The Princess Consort idea probably seemed sensible in 2005, when some people were still very wound up about Diana, but I don't see why Camilla shouldn't be known by her proper title of Queen, when the time comes. But we'll see.

I believe it was "We'll see" that was the answer when either Charles or Camilla was asked in person (can't remember which at this time) about the Queen dilemma. :D

Yes, it would likely apply to hundreds of people. By the terms of the Bill of Rights 1688 and the Act of Settlement 1700, the line of succession to the throne includes all of the heirs of the body (the term denotes, more or less, her legally acknowledged blood descendants, with the exclusion of descendants who were born out of wedlock and their descendants) of Princess Sophia (1630-1714) who are Protestant and have never been Catholic. (Note that marriages which required but did not receive the consent of the British monarch under the Royal Marriages Act 1772 were deemed void in British law, and as a result the descendants from those marriages were deemed born out of wedlock and are excluded from succession to the British throne or British peerages.)

You're right. "Apply to" wasn't quite the right wording for what I meant. I should have said "Would this, in real terms, affect anyone other than H&M's and Lady Davina Windsor's children?" Is there anyone other than H&M's child(ren) and Davina's children who were/are being raised outside the UK, and are high enough in the line of succession that the people think of them and refer to them as being in the line of succession?

The Head of the Commonwealth of Nations does not have to be a British Monarchy, and it is not hereditary. The 54 Nations have equal rights and can vote to pick another Head. That is why the Queen, at the last meeting, campaigned for Prince Charles to be voted as the next Head of the Commonwealth of Nations. After Prince Charles, who knows what direction the 54 Countries that form the Commonwealth of Nations will go to elect their next Head.

I am aware of that but now that the first two Heads of the Commonwealth have been the monarchs of the UK and the next one will be it is setting up a precedent to make it hereditary. It will also probably be another 20 years before they have to deal with the next Head anyway. It could even be longer, depending on Charles' longevity.

The Queen's speech was also clear - in that as her father had been the first Head and she had inherited the position from him she hoped they would go with the consistency and appoint Charles her successor. She didn't 'campaign' but asked. Long before that meeting the former Australian PM, Julia Gillard, went on record as saying she couldn't see anyone better to take over from the Queen than Charles (and she is very much a republican). She was PM of Australia 2010-2013 and she said this during that time.

Queen Victoria would sometimes travel 'incognito' on the continent as Duchess of Lancaster. I think eyebrows would have been raised if she had gone as the 'Duke' but she did use Duchess of Lancaster on occasions.

I am not clear on how your second statement relates to the first. But it does not bear on the fact that the concept of Camilla being known as Princess Consort rather than Queen is only taken seriously because it was her own husband who announced it in 2005, and not because of politicians or the press.

Not wishing to repeat the discussions on this issue that have been had in the thread on titles, I will say that while I think the Princess Consort plan has been abandoned, I wouldn't expect most politicians or members of the British public to consider it a problem.

No, it was not put back.

FAQs | Prince of Wales

Under which question. It certainly isn't one of the questions asked in the FAQs directly.

FAQs
Do The Prince and The Duchess attend church?

Does The Prince dislike all modern architecture?

Why does The Duchess have her own home at Raymill?

Does The Prince advocate untested and dangerous alternative medical therapies?

What do the personal staff do?

How are The Prince and The Duchess's official activities funded?

As an environmental leader, why does The Prince of Wales drive around in a Bentley and own an Aston Martin?

How many people work for The Prince of Wales's Household?

What is Duchy Organics? Is it anything to do with the Duchy of Cornwall?

Who pays for The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex?

Does The Prince of Wales pay tax?

Why doesn't the Duchy of Cornwall pay corporation tax?

Does The Prince of Wales intend to have a multi-faith Coronation?

Why is The Prince of Wales asked for his approval on various Government bills?

What does The Prince of Wales do to reduce his own carbon footprint?

Are the reports that The Duchess is still a smoker true?

The flexibility requirement may well be the biggest barrier to part time royals. It all depends how flexible they’re required to be. The Royals having more distant relatives on essentially a zero hours contract and expected to be available for duties whenever asked isn’t going to work, since they can’t expect the employer of a part time royal to let them drop everything for an engagement at a moment’s notice (or to expect an employer to want to employ Charlotte or Louis’s future children on that basis.) It’s not good for their business and it won’t be good for workplace relations either. “HRH Prince(ss) X / Lord Y / Lady Z gets to come and go as they please.”

If it’s a case of the family member concerned having their diary set out for them far enough in advance to book annual leave if an engagement falls within their working hours, there’d be no problem (assuming of course that the family member does not get their leave allocated for them, as that could end up with others having to accommodate the part time royal.) If it’s as simple as part time royals being expected to step in at short notice at a time that it is known that they are not working from time to time, then that seems reasonable.

Slimming things down might be achieved via the spouses to some degree, following the example of Anne. Only the spouse of the heir might be a working royal. Everyone has different favourites within the family and that would allow us to see more of them at a lower cost while those born royal wouldn’t be shuffled down the order by the spouses of relatives closer to the throne than them.

I second that.
It would be hard to find this so called "perfect job" (high-paying without potential royal-trading accusation, flexible schedule) if a long-term part-time royals had been put on the table. This part-time royal should be ready to receive double scrutiny, and so did his/her employer.

Harry is no longer working royal, but his associations still being picked apart by the British press.
William was a part-time royal with a paying job for few years and he was criticised for being lazy in both his royal duty and ambulance pilot job. And he gave all his salary to charity back then. I bet there would be more criticism if he took the money for himself.
Or maybe pull a "Waity-Kaity" style post Jigsaw: join the family business, maybe by working at on of Duchy of Cornwall farm?

(...)

The time needed to do royal work has also been being reduced due to the "the empire" shrinking, along with modern technology enabling things particularly the advances in transportation, and more recently the acceptance of doing work remotely.

Charles supposedly was given a lot of say in The Way Ahead group, which was formed in the early-mid 1990s because the decisions made would affect his reign, even though presumably, it was not felt that his ascension was imminent. This same sentiment has been expressed about subsequent self-examination and reform efforts by the BRF. Given this I believe that William will also be given considerable say in any self-examination and reform efforts because it will affect his reign.

I suspect that research and analysis has been taking place over the years and that will be a key driver in decisions made. What I assume is being examined is does having the Duke of Gloucester visit a pensioner group in New Castle increase or sustain the British Royal Family's relevance and affection? What about his work with his patronages? Now ask the same question for more visible non-heir royals like Princess Anne or Prince Edward.

If it turns out that bread and butter visits and support of patronages add materially to the BRF's relevance and affection, and the work is beyond the capacity of the monarch and the heir, then yes, other royals will be conscripted to help out as older royals pass away, reduce their activities or retire. If needed, I can see Princess Beatrice being asked to take on royal duties, as opposed to Prince Harry being asked to return to royal duties. Even though it is expected for Charles to be the next monarch, serious consideration has to be given to laying the groundwork for William's reign, ergo, it does not matter if Charles has issues with Andrew and thinks his daughter is a twit, what William feels he needs during his reign is paramount.

(...)

This Covid situation proved that it's possible to do 6-9 engagement in a day when doing it remotely. And gone was the day when the royal tour went on for weeks or months. Reduction in traveling time can mean opportunity to do more engagements.

Below is the 2017 engagement based on Iluvbertie's count on the engagement thread (ranked by days working, excluding the cousins, but their total - of the 4 - is 549 engagement in 224 days):
- Anne 521 engagements in 179 days
- Charles 534 in 174 days
- Andrew 325 in 140 days
- Edward 285 in 124 days
- The Queen 273 in 114 days
- William 187 in 106 days
- Harry 176 in 98 days
- Sophie 203 in 95 days
- Camilla 216 in 87 days
- Catherine 99 in 59 days

I don't know how it is for British government officials (I consider working royal role similar as government official), but working in private sector in average I works at least 200 days in a years. And I also understand that a lot of works happens behind the scene unrecorded, but it seems the Wessexes and the Cambridges still can add at least 60 (if not more) days each to do some engagements.

If every working royal works 200 days each, 6-8 working royals will be enough to get similar total engagements as those above. In this case, what Somebody wrote on post #1247 can work. When Charles becomes king, William and Catherine can cover the numbers that used to be Charles' and Anne's, while the Wessexes and Anne do the rest, and later when the Cambridge kids are in their mid 20s they gradually take over the Wessexes and Anne where the latter three will become sort of the current Kents and Gloucesters (and by that time, the type of engagement could be very different than now so maybe even Charlotte and Louis wouldn't need to be working royals). 3 sets royal rotation: in the same time 1 set in London hold the fort, 1 sets go abroad on tour, 1 set go to countryside (it's not that foreign tour/trip abroad is done every day anyway).

As for patronages, Philip had retired for 3 years yet he's still patron of hundreds organisations. What I want to say is, in the future what's the meaning of this patronages for BRF? Just attaching their name and promoting them with a visit once in every 3-4 days, sending cards or letters of support one a year? Or a more hand-on patron which will correlate to their ability to the numbers of patronages they could handle? However, there's social media that can be utilised to highlight the said charities/patronages as alternative if visit is not feasible.

Its just an impression I had, that for a time, there seemed to be a drawing away from the Princess Consort idea, and a hint or 2 that perhaps Camilla would be titled Queen. I htough that perhaps there had been soem statement on the website, but wasn't sure. But I think that perhaps they DID have hopes a few years ago that they could adhere to normal practice and Camilla would be queen.. and in the last few years, it seems like her approval ratings adn Charles' are not so good and they are returning to being cautious again....

Its just an impression I had, that for a time, there seemed to be a drawing away from the Princess Consort idea, and a hint or 2 that perhaps Camilla would be titled Queen. I htough that perhaps there had been soem statement on the website, but wasn't sure. But I think that perhaps they DID have hopes a few years ago that they could adhere to normal practice and Camilla would be queen.. and in the last few years, it seems like her approval ratings adn Charles' are not so good and they are returning to being cautious again....

No, there has been no statement on the website that Camilla will be Queen (it would certainly have been in the news if there had been). The hints that she would be queen were conveyed in informal comments by her and her husband in 2010-11. You will find details about those comments by clicking on the article in the link above.

No, there has been no statement on the website that Camilla will be Queen (it would certainly have been in the news if there had been). The hints that she would be queen were conveyed in informal comments by her and her husband in 2010-11. You will find details about those comments by clicking on the article in the link above.

No I know there was no statement on the website

I thought that they had restored the bit about Princess Consort.. signifiying that they were thinking again of Cam being Pss Consort

Japan, which also has a ceremonial monarchy whose royal family's role is to serve as a symbol of the nation, has double the population of the UK, but fewer working royals. They are also expected to slim down dramatically in the decades ahead.

Further out, there are republics such as China or the United States which have much larger populations than the UK, but choose to function without royalty or family members of the head of state working for "the firm".

I haven't seen any allegations about an official statement, nor would I expect one during this reign.

Japan is a very different case. The insistence on male rulers only, the loss of princesses when they marry, the power of the Imperial Household Agency, all make comparisons with the European monarchies fairly meaningless.

Comparisons with republics are interesting but again not really relevant, unless you're making the case for abolishing the monarchy and installing a republic in its place. Then you have to decide which, if any, of the various forms of government/Head of State you want to have.

Re Charles and slimming down, it is regularly stated in newspapers and on royal forums that Charles wants to slim down the monarchy. I'm just saying that there is absolutely no evidence that this is true.

I can't recall but I thought that they had taken the bit about Princess Consort off the webiste for a time and then it went back

I found it on the website of the Royal family:
https://web.archive.org/web/2015030...Family/ThePrinceofWales/ThePrinceofWales.aspx

They say she "will be known as" HRH The Princess Consort just like she is known as "THe Duchess of Cornwall". But that does mean that Charles, being king, has to create her a HRH and a Princess of the Uk (just like it happened to "The" Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh). Okay, that can be done, but is it then the law for the queen consort? Will it happen to Catherine when William becomes king? Can HM the queen consort have a second title and style?

I know Maxima was created HRH and a princess of the Netherlands in her own right and she never used the title of the "princess of Orange" when Beatrix was still queen but now she is "known as" queen Maxima and that's how it has ever been in the Dutch history (not that they had so many kings with queen consorts...)

I found it on the website of the Royal family:
https://web.archive.org/web/2015030...Family/ThePrinceofWales/ThePrinceofWales.aspx

They say she "will be known as" HRH The Princess Consort just like she is known as "THe Duchess of Cornwall". But that does mean that Charles, being king, has to create her a HRH and a Princess of the Uk (just like it happened to "The" Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh). Okay, that can be done, but is it then the law for the queen consort? Will it happen to Catherine when William becomes king? Can HM the queen consort have a second title and style?

I know Maxima was created HRH and a princess of the Netherlands in her own right and she never used the title of the "princess of Orange" when Beatrix was still queen but now she is "known as" queen Maxima and that's how it has ever been in the Dutch history (not that they had so many kings with queen consorts...)

The wife of the Prince of Orange is no longer known as the Princess of Orange. Under the Wet Lidmaatschap Koninklijk Huis of 2002, the title of Princess of Orange is reserved to the heiress presumptive to the Dutch throne. Under the same act, however, the wife of the Prince of Orange can be created a Princess of the Netherlands (Prinses der Nederlanden) in her own right by a separate royal decree, which is what was done in Máxima's case. In addition, Máxima was also created a Princess of Orange-Nassau in her own right and is referred to as "Queen Máxima" solely by courtesy.

Queen Mathilde is also a Princess of Belgium in her own right (by royal decree issued by King Albert II) and, like Máxima, she uses the tiltle of Queen (but not "Queen of the Belgians") and the style of Majesty by courtesy.

So we have:

Her Majesty Queen Máxima, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau.

Her Majesty Queen Mathilde (Marie Christine Ghislaine comtesse d'Udekem d'Acoz), Princess of Belgium.

Letizia falls under a dfferent category. Before Felipe's accession to the throne she was HRH The Princess of Asturias, and also Princess of Girona, Princess of Viana, Duchess of Montblanc, Countess of Cervera and Lady of Balaguer, since, under the RD 1368/1987, the wife of the Prince of Asturias shares all of her husband's titles and styles. Since 2014, as wife of the King of Spain, she has the official title of Queen (but not Queen of Spain) and the style of Majesty, again under the RD 1368/1987, and is no longer a princess. So we have in this case:

Su Majestad la Reina Doña Letizia (Ortiz Rocasolano).

In Sweden, Silvia is officially "Queen of Sweden" according to the Royal House website (Hennes Majestät Silvia Renate, Sveriges Drottning or simply H.M. Drottning Silvia). Likewise, I believe Sonja is "Queen of Norway". Neither one is a princess.

In principle, I don't see a problem in a Queen consort also holding a title of Princess. As shown above,that is the case in Belgium and in the Netherlands (where BTW the Kings are also princes), but it is not very common elsewhere.

Last edited:
I am aware of that but now that the first two Heads of the Commonwealth have been the monarchs of the UK and the next one will be it is setting up a precedent to make it hereditary. It will also probably be another 20 years before they have to deal with the next Head anyway. It could even be longer, depending on Charles' longevity.

The Queen's speech was also clear - in that as her father had been the first Head and she had inherited the position from him she hoped they would go with the consistency and appoint Charles her successor. She didn't 'campaign' but asked. Long before that meeting the former Australian PM, Julia Gillard, went on record as saying she couldn't see anyone better to take over from the Queen than Charles (and she is very much a republican). She was PM of Australia 2010-2013 and she said this during that time.

A lot of lobbying goes on behind the scenes before any idea is tabled. You don't believe that when she "asked" was the first time the subject was mentioned? Out of respect for the Queen, all member countries representatives voted for Prince Charles. We don't know who they will vote for next, plus most of these Heads will be out of the offices by then, replaced by new people. Also included in the discussion about rotation was term limits. It's OK for Julia Gillard to voice her opinion but she does't have a vote.

The commonwealth declaration stipulates that the relationship between member countries is equal in status. There are 37 republic countries (the other 16 are realms) who can be voted to Head the Commonwealth. If one member country is the only country heading the commonwealth FOREVER, it is like colonization all over again using "backdoor".

Last edited:
The commonwealth declaration stipulates that the relationship between member countries is equal in status. There are 37 republic countries (the other 16 are realms) who can be voted to Head the Commonwealth. If one member country is the only country heading the commonwealth FOREVER, it is like colonization all over again using "backdoor".

I don't see it that way. The position of Head of the Commonwealth is not an executive one. The Commonwealth's chief executive officer is instead the Secretary-General, and the office of Secretary-General, since its inception in 1965, has been occupied by citizens of different countries (Canada, Guyana, Nigeria, New Zealand, India, and now the United Kingdom).

Given that Head of the Commonwealth is merely a symbolic or ceremonial position, it makes sense, for historical reasons, that he or she should be the same person who occupies the British throne since a present or former connection to the British Crown is what (most) Commonwealth countries have in common and what brought them together in the first place.

If you think about it, the same also applies to the Organization of Ibero-American States where the King of Spain (first Juan Carlos I and now Felipe VI) serves as Honorary President whereas the General Secretariat has rotated between different countries (according to Wikipedia, Uruguay, El Salvador, Peru, Colombia, Argentina, Brazil, and Spain properly).

Of course, you may subscribe to the opinion that all those international organizations that originated from previous European colonial empires (the Commonwealth, OEI, CPLP. La Francophonie, etc.) are "neocolonist" tools that the former European powers use to maintain their influence in their former dependent territories, but I personally disagree as I see great value in those kinds of organizations and in the type of work they do, especially in poorer countries.

Last edited:
There’s an article in Vanity Fair by Anna Pasternak suggesting that there may nor be any crown for Charles to inherit if William and Harry don’t reconcile. To me, this is the print version of clickbait and couldn’t possibly be more stupid or wrong. Look at this ridiculous quote:

“The Sussexes have sparked something so fundamentally incendiary in this country that it is changing the face of Britain,” says Pasternak. “I’m not 100 percent sure that we will see Charles ascend to the throne.”

The BRF has gone on with their business for a year - they aren’t missing Harry and Meghan in the sense that they are falling apart. The Sussexes are also incredibly unpopular in the UK. There is no Republican uprising.

There’s an article in Vanity Fair by Anna Pasternak suggesting that there may nor be any crown for Charles to inherit if William and Harry don’t reconcile. To me, this is the print version of clickbait and couldn’t possibly be more stupid or wrong. Look at this ridiculous quote:

The BRF has gone on with their business for a year - they aren’t missing Harry and Meghan in the sense that they are falling apart. The Sussexes are also incredibly unpopular in the UK. There is no Republican uprising.

Charles is not very popular (in fact, he now has a negative or barely positive favorability rating in the UK ?). William and Kate are popular with favorability ratings around +60.

The downfall of the monarchy in a constitutionally stable democracy, which is the case of the UK, requires the existence of a political movement supported by at least one of the major national parties (or a large segment thereof) and by other key players e.g. in the press/media, the business community, etc.

Honestly, I don't see that in the UK in the near future. I don't see it either even in other Commonwealth realms like Canada although those conditions I mentioned above do exist in other countries like Australia, and the change of reign from the Queen to Charles may provide an excuse for a second referendum that may succeed this time.

Last edited:

I do not believe that. The monarchy is strong and will continue. William and Catherine are popular and have everything to become good monarchs in the United Kingdom.
Charles may not be very popular, but he will do his job well as king, I think.

And this whole story around the Dukes of Sussex will one day calm down.

Anna has been around for decades and apart from her name (she is somehow related to Boris of "Dr. Schiwago" and literature noble prize fame) she has never been important or to be taken seriously when it comes to Royal stories (she is a bestselling author, though). Her book "Princess in love" about Diana and James Hewitt is nothing you need to have read if you cared for the truth.

Charles is not very popular (in fact, he now has a negative or barely positive favorability rating in the UK ?). William and Kate are popular with favorability ratings around +60.

The downfall of the monarchy in a constitutionally stable democracy, which is the case of the UK, requires the existence of a political movement supported by at least one of the major national parties (or a large segment thereof) and by other key players e.g. in the press/media, the business community, etc.

Honestly, I don't see that in the UK in the near future. I don't see it either even in other Commonwealth realms like Canada although those conditions I mentioned above do exist in other countries like Australia, and the change of reign from the Queen to Charles may provide an excuse for a new referedum that, in the second chance, may be successful.

Believe me, I know how unpopular Charles is, sigh (sorry, it frustrates me).

You’re probably right, and that’s fine. I just resent the idea that what is really a personal feud between brothers (H and C as well, but that’s not sexy) could ever bring down the monarchy. This is the kind of thing people will lap up, and it’s the furthest thing from the truth. You spoke the truths, and Anna should know that.

I do not believe that. The monarchy is strong and will continue. William and Catherine are popular and have everything to become good monarchs in the United Kingdom.
Charles may not be very popular, but he will do his job well as king, I think.

And this whole story around the Dukes of Sussex will one day calm down.

Agreed.

Kataryn:

Anna has been around for decades and apart from her name (she is somehow related to Boris of "Dr. Schiwago" and literature noble prize fame) she has never been important or to be taken seriously when it comes to Royal stories (she is a bestselling author, though). Her book "Princess in love" about Diana and James Hewitt is nothing you need to have read if you cared for the truth.

Yeah, I thought she was ok until after I read more of her post interviews about her book on Wallis, and finding out she wrote trash about Diana and JH. I don’t take her seriously, but it’s annoying. I guess I’ll have to remind my mother that when she reads the article to carry a large shaker of salt with her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom