The Future of the British Monarchy 1: 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But who holds the purse strings?
Yes the RF can work; but would they have the jobs they have if not for their royal status?

Possibly, maybe probably not in some cases. On the other hand there are plenty of jobs that can only be done by those who are fully qualified/capable. There may be members of the family who might have wanted to be a vet or an academic or a pianist or a commercial pilot or a dentist or an opera singer or whatever. Plenty of occupations can only be entered via merit/ability.

Obviously being related to the monarch will confer some advantages but you still need something about you to succeed. Lord Snowden almost certainly got his start in life because he was the Queen's nephew but his reputation would not have grown as a furniture maker if he had not also had genuine talent. Zara Tindell is another example.

Plenty of people in plenty of countries get a leg up from their famous families. It might not be fair but it is what it is.

I think it's unfair to expect someone to be denied what they want to pursue in life just because they happen to be born into the royal family, no matter how close to the throne.

Last edited:
In the near future royals of the Queen’s generation will no longer be with us. Anne and Edward may not want or be able to continue the work they currently do as they get older and their children, as well as Eugenie and Beatrice will not be taking their parents’ places - they may be associated with one or two organizations that especially interest them but that’s it.

So over, let’s say, the next ten years the working royal family will be made up of Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry and Meghan. And it will be at least twenty years from now before William’s children can start taking on a significant amount of royal work. So I think there are a ton of patronages that will be “orphaned” quite soon. I don’t see anything wrong with that.. the only reason so many organizations were able to get royal patronage was the Queen and DoE having four children, a situation that hasn’t been repeated in subsequent generations.

Don't forget about the age gap between Charles and Anne on the one hand and (Andrew and) Edward on the other. In 10 years time Edward is only 65 years old. I do expect him and Sophie to still be quite active. Especially as his 15+ year older brother would be 81 by that time and is expected to be fulfilling his duties. In addition, I don't see Anne retiring early unless she is forced to. She might slow down a bit (and rightly so) but I see no indication that she would be completely out of royal duties.

Nonetheless, I do agree that not all royal patronages will be re-awarded to other members of the family.

I think the Prince Andrew firestorm will now cause the royal family to make some very necessary changes much more sooner than we think.

I don't see the BRF and the "Firm" drastically changing anything over one member's bad decisions. They just put the problem out to pasture and will most likely continue as they've always done without Andrew around.

Whatever does happen or change won't be because of Andrew but because of the slow transition between monarchs that has been going on for a while here. The "keep calm and carry on" motto would be the way I think they'd all look at things.

The present model of having a royal family support the monarch may be on the way out. It is after all a relatively recent phenomena. It might be to the good if relatives of the monarch can lead the lives they want & not be bound by a duty they didn't ask for. In the end they might be happier & more fulfilled.

The crown as an institution will endure because the alternative is a republic & there is no real appetite for that. Not in this realm at least, I can't speculate about the others.

There is an interesting documentary called ' The queens lost family ' which covers how and why the BRF started to do public events to the extent they now do. It starts with George V.

Possibly, maybe probably not in some cases. On the other hand there are plenty of jobs that can only be done by those who are fully qualified/capable. There may be members of the family who might have wanted to be a vet or an academic or a pianist or a commercial pilot or a dentist or an opera singer or whatever. Plenty of occupations can only be entered via merit/ability.

Traditionally, when members of the RF had a non-royal full-time job, it was service in the military as exemplified in the past generations by the current Duke of Kent or the Duke of York. Prince Richard, however, is a trained architect who wanted to practice full-time, but I believe had to change his plans once he became the heir to the dukedom of Gloucester.

If you think about it, it is rather silly by modern standards that someone who is currently 27th (and falling) in the line of succession should be a full-time working royal and could not have a private career of his own when, in other monarchies in the continent, even siblings of the King or Queen have careers while doing occasional royal duty in parallel or not having any official role at all. I am thinking for example of Prince Constantijn or Infanta Elena , who are respectively fourth and third in line !

I accept that the British Royal Family has a much higher profile and a heavier workload than most continental RFs, including those from bigger countries like Spain, so it is not realistic that someone like Prince Harry or Prince George's siblings in the future could ever not be full-time royals, but, for more distant members of the family, I believe having their own careers outside royal duty should be natural and I think it will become increasingly common as the RF is slimmed down as allegedly planned for the future.

Last edited:
What changes are you alluding to?

I’m thinking there could be some adjustments made. Perhaps a slimming down of the family. I don’t know, but some changes could occur.

I’m thinking there could be some adjustments made. Perhaps a slimming down of the family. I don’t know, but some changes could occur.

Really? why should hard working Royals like Anne, Edward & Sophie, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester be thrown out because of Andrew?

Really? why should hard working Royals like Anne, Edward & Sophie, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester be thrown out because of Andrew?

I didn’t say they would be thrown out. I just happen to believe Charles and his family will become the main focus of the royal family sooner than we think.

I don't see the BRF and the "Firm" drastically changing anything over one member's bad decisions. They just put the problem out to pasture and will most likely continue as they've always done without Andrew around.

Whatever does happen or change won't be because of Andrew but because of the slow transition between monarchs that has been going on for a while here. The "keep calm and carry on" motto would be the way I think they'd all look at things.

I agree, and I think the monarchy is in good hands with Charles and then William. I know Charles isn't popular, but I think he'll make an excellent king - just be glad he's the first born son and not Andrew.

I didn’t say they would be thrown out. I just happen to believe Charles and his family will become the main focus of the royal family sooner than we think.
Except for Queen Elizabeth they already are the main focus of the Royal family. Once Queen Elizabeth passes away the others will slowly fade away from the spotlight should they go on working or not.
This talk of streamlining the Royal family to the future monarch, his sons and the heir's children is basically what we see already. With the exception of the Kents and the Gloucesters what we have is the monarch, her children and the children of the heir making the slimming process one that will IMO focus on the future role of the Sussex kids and those of the eventual kids of Charlotte and Louis.
I think we could see the Kents retire once the Queen either have Charles made regent or she passes away and, even though they are younger, I could see the Gloucesters do the same making the working royals left all be descendants of Queen Elizabeth and Anne, Edward & Sophie excepted all belonging to Charles branch of the family.

Charles and his line are already the main focus of the BRF. No one is really allowed to forget.

But if anyone believes that aging Charles and Camilla, the Cambridges and a seemingly ever more reluctant Harry and Meghan are going to be able to carry the tremendously workload of The Firm without A LOT of assistance from some minor Royals, they are going to be proven wrong.:ermm:

Charles and his line are already the main focus of the BRF. No one is really allowed to forget.

But if anyone believes that aging Charles and Camilla, the Cambridges and a seemingly ever more reluctant Harry and Meghan are going to be able to carry the tremendously workload of The Firm without A LOT of assistance from some minor Royals, they are going to be proven wrong.:ermm:

I used to think the same too and thought that drafting Beatrice and Eugenie would be eventually necessary, but now I am starting to reconsider my opinion. Basically,

1. The RF can always cut down on their number of engagements and patronages. I don't think that would significantly hurt their popularity if they focused on the essential and on broader, umbrella initiatives.
  2. Edward and Sophie will likely be around for quite some time to relieve William/Kate and Harry/Meghan, even when Anne is aging and Andrew is unfortunately out of the picture.
  3. With some Commonwealth realms probably becoming republics during Charles' or William's reign , there may be fewer Commonwealth tours in the future, although that is already not a major item in the royal agenda as it was for example when Elizabeth II was a young queen, or during her father's reign.
  4. Looking ahead (25-30 years from now), the Cambridge kids (especially George who is the oldest) will start to take up royal duties.

I can see the Kents retiring (officially or semi-officially) when it is Charles who is taking center stage. I don't see a reason for the Gloucesters not to continue what they do now: quietly taking on engagements both in the UK and abroad (once in a while) and slowly decreasing their number of engagements as they age. Anne, Edward and Sophie will imo continue as well. By the time William's children start to perform royal duties they can start slowing down (and yes, I am aware Anne will be rather old by that time but Edward and Sophie not so much and I don't think Anne is going to slow down if Charles is still fully occupied; some sibling rivalry going on :D ).

The BRF has taken a hit with Andrew's mess, but the problem is this horror was known by the family for some time. Only Andrew's mess of an interview and swift backlash forced the House of Windsor to take action, or moreso, react. The queen and primarily Charles are calling the shots; William wasn't known to be involved in canning Andrew until after the decision was made. Reading comments online and seeing some commentary, there is a fish rots from the head positions some laying this on the queen.

Bringing in the York princesses sounds like a good idea at first but now House York may be damaged. Beatrice may be tainted thanks to Andrew because he made her his alibi in the interview. The FBI could call her in to corroborate Andrew's story.

I think the queen's Christmas address may have to pick up with issues with the family and be straight with the public. Gone are the days of royal mystic. Let everyone know if there will be a regency with Charles. Then in time let everyone know who is going to do what with clarity. (The Sussexes are not saying they don't want to do the job; they don't want to be at the back and call of a press that has maligned them and they have a right to fight back.)

If royal hierarchy is supposed to be respected then make it clear who calls the shots. William is supposed to take over Andrew's emergency services patronages and fold them into the Cambridges' Royal foundation. I have not seen where the queen and/or Charles signed off on that. These generational rivalries don't help build confidence in stability .

Last edited:
There was an interview with the Duke of Kent after he came back to work after his stroke. He was asked about retiring and he basically said that he will keep working while the Queen was alive. I expect Princess Alexandra feels the same way.
So, that's two royals less for Charles to worry about, and this if the Queen doesn't outlive them.

I used to think the same too and thought that drafting Beatrice and Eugenie would be eventually necessary, but now I am starting to reconsider my opinion. Basically,

1. The RF can always cut down on their number of engagements and patronages. I don't think that would significantly hurt their popularity if they focused on the essential and on broader, umbrella initiatives.
  2. Edward and Sophie will likely be around for quite some time to relieve William/Kate and Harry/Meghan, even when Anne is aging and Andrew is unfortunately out of the picture.
  3. With some Commonwealth realms probably becoming republics during Charles' or William's reign , there may be fewer Commonwealth tours in the future, although that is already not a major item in the royal agenda as it was for example when Elizabeth II was a young queen, or during her father's reign.
  4. Looking ahead (25-30 years from now), the Cambridge kids (especially George who is the oldest) will start to take up royal duties.

I agree with your post but just wanted to point out that the majority of countries in the commonwealth are already republics. It’s really only Australia, Canada and NZ who get annual tours now anyway. If they were to become republics I’m not sure the visits would decrease significantly, especially if, in a post Brexit world, the UK is more dependent on trade with these countries.

The Commonwealth had a number of tours this year: 18 out of the 53 countries (not including the UK itself of course) which is 32%. That would suggest that the Commonwealth is very much an important part of the royal families duties. I have 321 engagements in Commonwealth countries this year with New Zealand topping the list with 63.

All the working royals other than The Queen, The Gloucesters and Princess Alexandra have visited at least one Commonwealth country this year.

Last edited:
Speaking as a longtime royal watcher...

I hope the British royal family bring about something in 2020 that I believe they’re lacking right now — unity. That’s my hope and part of my prayer for them.

Speaking as a longtime royal watcher...

I hope the British royal family bring about something in 2020 that I believe they’re lacking right now — unity. That’s my hope and part of my prayer for them.

I agree with you. People support the monarch when everyone works as part of one team. This year has shown too many cracks and I hope they will work their issues indoors and present the United front outside.

I think Charles needs to proceed carefully with Camilla. I'm watching an episode of Loose Women on youtube and they're talking about a poll where 80% of the British public don't want her to be queen. I think he should stick to his original deal of Camilla being princess consort.

Camilla cannot be "Princess Camilla" because she's only a princess by virtue of her marriage. When Prince Charles becomes King Charles becomes Queen Camilla, end of story.

Camilla cannot be "Princess Camilla" because she's only a princess by virtue of her marriage. When Prince Charles becomes King Charles becomes Queen Camilla, end of story.

While I think it is evident that the Prince of Wales intends his wife to be known as Queen, the royal court announced at the time of the marriage that Mrs. Parker Bowles intended to be known as Princess Consort, and that announcement has not (yet) been officially retracted.

If that official or what people assumed? I only ask because I don't see the official documents of it. People ask the royal beat this often and most say she will be Queen Camilla. And honestly that is what will happen.

I agree with the need of unity for the family but we shall see. They need to start 2020 off fresh just be back into business. 2019 was an interesting one.

I agree with you. People support the monarch when everyone works as part of one team. This year has shown too many cracks and I hope they will work their issues indoors and present the United front outside.

Yeah. They just need to unify within the new year and beyond that. With Andrew out of the picture within the working firm, I think a more united front with The Queen, Charles & Camilla, William and Catherine & Harry and Meghan is just best. They’re all part of the working firm, but the division within the courts and family that we seen take place this year just didn’t put the royals in the best light and it made room for pure chaos within the royal media world. They all should approach things differently in 2020 as a united firm than a separate firm.

I’m not trying to tell them to fake anything, but to just put family differences to aside for the sake of the royal establishment they’re in charge of and come together. Not just for big family occasions, but on regular working days.

The Windsor’s have the ability to make some parts of 2019 a distant memory with a more fresher and cleaner approach to 2020. The family and their staff just have to put the work and effort in it. The results will pay off in the end for everyone.

I firmly believe Camilla will be called Queen consort ...the whole PC thing was scrubbed a few years ago from the BRF website.

LaRae

If that official or what people assumed? I only ask because I don't see the official documents of it.

It is official. Prior to Charles getting married to Camilla, it was announced that “ it was intended” that she would be known as the Princess Consort when Charles became King. That sentence (.” It was intended etc.”) remained on the FAQ page of the official site of the Prince of Wales for over a decade until it was removed , suggesting there may have been a change of intention. Clarence House has never confirmed any change though and the official explanation for the original intention being removed from the site’s FAQ was that it was simply a question that was no longer “ frequently asked”.

Given the current turbulence with Andrew and Meghan and the inevitable tension that will arise when Charles accedes , I don’t see him stirring up more controversy by insisting on Queen Camilla.

Last edited:
If that official or what people assumed? I only ask because I don't see the official documents of it. People ask the royal beat this often and most say she will be Queen Camilla. And honestly that is what will happen.

I agree with the need of unity for the family but we shall see. They need to start 2020 off fresh just be back into business. 2019 was an interesting one.
It was announced ath the time of hteir marriage.. when it was announced that she would be know as Duchess of Cornwall and not Princess of Wales

Unfortunately someone didn't do their homework before they posted that. Camilla is not a princess anymore than Sophie, Catherine and Meghan are. The difference with her being known as Duchess of Cornwall instead of the Princess of Wales lies in a personal choice as Charles is the Duke of Cornwall.

When Charles becomes King, literally at his mother's deathbed, they are not going to destroy the end of an historic reign with a divisive issue. Everyone in the BRF and the Country will be plunged into mourning.

Tradition will be followed and HM will be laid to rest with all the pomp and circumstance owed by a greatful Nation and Commonwealth and I really can't see anybody is going to be concerned with trivia when faced with the daunting challenge of the changeover and the necessity for the entire BRF to show a united front and be a uniting force for the peoples of the UK and Commonwealth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom