The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-21-2021, 04:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I am not British but I greatly admire the British Royal Family. The popularity of the BRF and its future is not something that affects me personally, but I am concerned when I see articles like this:
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...backs-monarchy

Can someone comment on this? Is this a temporary thing in response to Harry and Meghan's whining or as the younger population ages, is there more of a chance of the Monarchy being abolished in the future?
I expect the younger people (note: it is only a small age group representing only 7 years; while the other groups represent 25/15/35+ years) to become more in favor of the monarchy when they grow older. And yes, I do think Harry and Meghan do have something to do with it, as they are only popular among that age group; any other age group prefers the other members of the BRF over them although the 'fall' among 25-49 might also be due to H and M. So, yes, I expect their opinions to change with time - but not for all of them of course; so, I am not really concerned but it isn't a good sign either.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:06 AM
Royal Highness

Opinions change as we age so who knows what the views of the under 25's may be in middle age or older.

It would be interesting to know what the opinion of the under 25's has been over time.

People of course conflate the BRF with the monarchy. And it isn't the same thing although there is of course a lot of overlap. I'm not convinced that the merits of a republic will ever persuade the majority but there is a danger that the monarchy may become less popular & so less of a unifying force. That would be sad.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Also because of Harry and Meghan, and because of Andrew, and for that infamous Panorama Interview investigation, because of these false narrative-setting worthless series as The Crown, because of blabbing "courtiers', etc. the simple distance every monarchy needs, seems gone.

Monarchy can only function "in the shadow of the throne" not in full sunlight. But what do we see? A son to a future King, a brother to a future King, blabbing on TV about drink and drugs, hanging out the family's laundry outside, for a public already poorly "informed" by The Crown, the tabloids and social media...

This is a recipe for disaster. The absolutely necessary distance needs to return. Towards Queen Elizabeth there is still reverence but that feeling of "I am your Gracious Majesty's Most Humble and Obedient Servant" is totally absent towards other members of the RF.

I hope Charles and William find a way to sail the ship to more calm waters.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:55 AM
Royal Highness

I agree with much of this. I do think though that the Duke of Cambridge has the potential to be as respected as HM so all is not lost. I think most people will see the next monarch as a bridge between two longer reigns. Unfairly or not William will probably be as much of a focus as the sovereign himself.

As for Harry he may well just become background noise. People will probably grow more weary of the drama & less interested over time. There's only so much mileage in what damage he can do.

A republic would be such a huge change. A real revolution. I just can't envisage any circumstances in which it would happen.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

I agree with much of this. I do think though that the Duke of Cambridge has the potential to be as respected as HM so all is not lost. I think most people will see the next monarch as a bridge between two longer reigns. Unfairly or not William will probably be as much of a focus as the sovereign himself.

As for Harry he may well just become background noise. People will probably grow more weary of the drama & less interested over time. There's only so much mileage in what damage he can do.

A republic would be such a huge change. A real revolution. I just can't envisage any circumstances in which it would happen.
I agree. He seems to have really come into his own in the past two or three years. He seems to have developed a maturity and regal presence about himself. I know that gaining the respect and reverence that HM has takes a lifetime, but I think that William shows definite signs that he is headed that way if he continues to develop in the direction he appears to be taking.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I agree with you duchessrachel. William has learned the art of diplomacy from his grandmother nicely but he's also taken his own life and has found a wonderful balance for himself. Confident and gradually taking on more and more of his royal public roles and yet balancing it out with a private, happy home life with his family.

This is a man comfortable in his own skin and a happy one at that.
Old 05-22-2021, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Times have also changed. People will of course view the monarchy and the role royal family differently. That is just expected with each new generation. Also we have to remember that a great respect is still given to HMQ. She is all most have known and it will be interesting to see how people view the rest once she is gone.

All that said, I don't see much changing with Charles's reign. But things could definitely take a shift for William but especially George. But that is hard to even see right now because that is so far into the future.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:32 PM
Majesty

The British monarchy has always known how to adapt to changing times and to the most controversial situations (abdication of King Edward VIII, divorces of the Queen's children, situation of Harry and Meghan). And it will continue. I also think that Prince William learned the art of diplomacy very well from his grandmother. William seems to be a balanced person who has accepted his role and his destiny well. William also found a wife who knows how to play her role in the Royal Family.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

An article in support of the monarchy from Camilla Tominey after Graham Smith of Republic called for a debate about the monarchy after the Platinum Jubilee plans were announced:

https://archive.ph/UQ9y1

Quote:
Claiming that the time was now right for “a serious, honest debate about the future of the monarchy”, he said: “The royals do little for Britain, yet they demand a lot. As we put the Covid crisis behind us next year, national celebrations should be centred on the ordinary people who make this country great.”

Yet his timing is completely off on three fronts. Firstly, in the wake of Harry and Meghan’s departure to the US and following the death of the Duke of Edinburgh, the Royal family’s approval rating has actually gone up.
Old 06-02-2021, 03:09 PM
Royal Highness

Graham Smith would do his own cause a lot better by focusing on what he sees as the benefits & positives of Britain becoming a republic rather than being critical about "the royals".
Old 06-05-2021, 07:44 PM
Majesty

https://www.politico.eu/article/brit...rince-charles/

An article from Politico discussing the nation of ‘Elizabethans’ and why her heir and successor, Charles, is not so popular, especially in Wales, Scotland and parts of England.

‘While the queen remains personally popular, a series of public relations disasters has tarnished the rest of the royal family. A recent poll found that more than 70 percent of people in Scotland, Wales and central England approved of the queen. Only 50 percent of respondents in Wales and central England approved of her heir, Prince Charles. In Scotland, support for Charles was just 41 percent.’
Old 06-06-2021, 04:10 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you for the link.

Another article that details the alleged unfitness of the heir. Poor old Charles. Despite his sometimes poor judgement as heir I would be surprised if he acted as monarch any differently from his mother when it comes to constitutional affairs. He’s not stupid.

The author does at least acknowledge that there is no appetite for a republic. Even in Scotland, among the decided, supporters of the status quo outnumber the republicans by 2 to 1. And Scots (& the Welsh) are only a small minority of the British population anyway. It would be English voters, for good or ill, who would almost certainly decide the constitutional future of the UK in any hypothetical referendum on the monarchy. In England at least any republic remains but a pipe dream for some.

I wonder what the author means when she writes that public relations disasters have tarnished the rest of the rf? The Sussexes, DofY & MofK have all acted inappropriately obviously but the rest? Makes no sense.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:44 AM
Nobility

Palace sends for Prince William to rescue Union
Archive: https://archive.ph/g6obH
Quote:
(...)

Under the proposals the Cambridges would spend far more time at Balmoral, the Queen’s Scottish estate, treating it as a regular home rather than a place for brief holidays. They would also strengthen their ties with St Andrews, the town where they met and fell in love as university students.

(...)

“Advisers want William and Kate to be in Balmoral a lot more and build on their St Andrews connection,” a royal source said. “They want them not to look like visitors but to look like residents.” This is likely to mean that William is not seen wearing a kilt.

“The feeling is that successive governments have let this drift and that the politicians are irreparably divided,” the source added.
A YouGov poll in Scotland in April found that 69 per cent of voters had a positive view of William, with 17 per cent having a negative view. By contrast, YouGov’s most recent survey found that just 22 per cent of Scots had a favourable view of Boris Johnson, while 71 per cent had an unfavourable view.

(...)
So, it was the Wessexes and now it's the Cambridges. In any case, I don't think it's a good idea.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:24 AM
Gentry

The Cambridge children are all at school/nursery in London now, so how exactly are their parents expected to spend lengthy periods in Scotland? The only time would be during the schools' summer break.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:50 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by winifred View Post
The Cambridge children are all at school/nursery in London now, so how exactly are their parents expected to spend lengthy periods in Scotland? The only time would be during the schools' summer break.
A lot of these articles can be ignored, IMO. It is entirely possible that W&C will do a lot more tours around the UK, not dissimilar to the one they carried out in Scotland recently.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
https://www.politico.eu/article/brit...rince-charles/

An article from Politico discussing the nation of ‘Elizabethans’ and why her heir and successor, Charles, is not so popular, especially in Wales, Scotland and parts of England.

‘While the queen remains personally popular, a series of public relations disasters has tarnished the rest of the royal family. A recent poll found that more than 70 percent of people in Scotland, Wales and central England approved of the queen. Only 50 percent of respondents in Wales and central England approved of her heir, Prince Charles. In Scotland, support for Charles was just 41 percent.’

However, more than 70 percent also approve of the Duke of Cambridge. I don't think the monarchy has a popularity problem. The Prince of Wales does.

Of course, Prince Charles could step down. I don't think he will do it right away upon his accession, but, unlike his mother, I don't think he will want to be King until he is in his 90s.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:08 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
However, more than 70 percent also approve of the Duke of Cambridge. I don't think the monarchy has a popularity problem. The Prince of Wales does.

Of course, Prince Charles could step down. I don't think he will do it right away upon his accession, but, unlike his mother, I don't think he will want to be King until he is in his 90s.
certainly disagree. Charles has waited a long time to be King. He would retire if he felt that he couldn't do the job properly but not otherwise....
Old 06-07-2021, 07:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
certainly disagree. Charles has waited a long time to be King. He would retire if he felt that he couldn't do the job properly but not otherwise....

As I said, he won't do it now, but, assuming he has an expected 20-year reign, he might step down in 5 or 10 years following his accession. I trust he is a pragmatist.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
As I said, he won't do it now, but, assuming he has an expected 20-year reign, he might step down in 5 or 10 years following his accession. I trust he is a pragmatist.
Depends what you call a pragmatist. I'd say rahter than he's an idealist and a bit of a dreamer....
Old 06-07-2021, 07:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by winifred View Post
Louise and James are also still in school, yet it didn't stop the press to write about the Wessexes supposely "move" to Scotland some times ago.

Not to mention most of their engagements are in London (investure, diplomatic meeting, etc) or England in general so flying back and forth between England-Scotland will not be a good look esp with William's Earth Shot.

I think what that advisor meant (if this news has any truth in it), is for the Cambridge to extend their stay during the summer, couple of weeks instead of the usual few days like these past years (similar calendar as the Queen: whole summer in Balmoral and winter in Sandringham) and maybe also increase their engagements in Scotland.

Edit: The Telegraph and SkyNews also reporting this (more like re-report this article). They are reputable, so maybe there's some truth here. And honestly, after the train tour last year, it will not surprise me if no 10 has some input in this plan.

Tags
camilla parker bowles, camilla parker-bowles, camilla's family