The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-13-2021, 07:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
That is true girls remain sidelined as far as titles go. Even though Charlotte is ahead of Louis, Charlotte's children will not be titled just like Eugenie's and Anne's, but Louis' children will be titled.
Yes, indeed. In addition, under the current rules and expectations of the British monarchy:

Louis's titles will automatically be shared with his wife. Charlotte will not be permitted to share any of her titles with her husband.

Louis will eventually be granted a hereditary dukedom, conferring on him and his male heirs (but not his female descendants or their descendants) legal privileges including the right to stand for one of 90 seats allocated to hereditary peers in the House of Lords. Charlotte will receive only the courtesy title of Princess Royal, which is non-hereditary and devoid of attached privileges.

Louis will retain his full titles and surname after marriage, without modifications. Charlotte will lose any territorial designation she carries (such as "of Wales") and the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

Louis will not need to acknowledge his wife in his title. Charlotte will be required to include a reference to her husband in her full title (Princess Charlotte, Mrs. John Smith).

Louis's wife will renounce her career upon marriage, and the responsibility for caring for their children will fall mainly on her. Charlotte's husband will continue on in his career, and the responsibility for caring for their children will fall mainly on Charlotte.

Louis will have the partnership and support of his wife and share with her the role and privileges of a senior working royal. Charlotte will only be accompanied by her husband, who will continue to live a largely private life, at family events.

If Louis's wife is a foreigner or lives abroad, he will remain in England and his wife will relocate. If Charlotte's husband is a foreigner or lives abroad, she will relocate to the country where her husband lives and works.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Yes, indeed. In addition, under the current rules and expectations of the British monarchy:

Louis's titles will automatically be shared with his wife. Charlotte will not be permitted to share any of her titles with her husband.

Louis will eventually be granted a hereditary dukedom, conferring on him and his male heirs (but not his female descendants or their descendants) legal privileges including the right to stand for one of 90 seats allocated to hereditary peers in the House of Lords. Charlotte will receive only the courtesy title of Princess Royal, which is non-hereditary and devoid of attached privileges.

Louis will retain his full titles and surname after marriage, without modifications. Charlotte will lose any territorial designation she carries (such as "of Wales") and the surname Mountbatten-Windsor.

Louis will not need to acknowledge his wife in his title. Charlotte will be required to include a reference to her husband in her full title (Princess Charlotte, Mrs. John Smith).

Louis's wife will renounce her career upon marriage, and the responsibility for caring for their children will fall mainly on her. Charlotte's husband will continue on in his career, and the responsibility for caring for their children will fall mainly on Charlotte.

Louis will have the partnership and support of his wife and share with her the role and privileges of a senior working royal. Charlotte will only be accompanied by her husband, who will continue to live a largely private life, at family events.

If Louis's wife is a foreigner or lives abroad, he will remain in England and his wife will relocate. If Charlotte's husband is a foreigner or lives abroad, she will relocate to the country where her husband lives and works.
Let's hope that by the time the Cambridge kids are old enough to start families of their own the expectations you mention have moved on from their current quite old-fashioned state. Regarding the expectation that women who marry into the family it seems that things were about to change for Meghan had she wanted to.

Old 04-14-2021, 07:40 PM
Majesty

Is King Charles III a frightening prospect?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, for one, refuse to watch what looks to be a horrible video.

Charles won't have a long reign, but however unpopular he will be, I firmly believe he'll be an excellent king.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

I always love 'Charles won't have a long reign'. If he lives to whatever age his mother lives he will have a reign of 22 years - hardly short.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I always love 'Charles won't have a long reign'. If he lives to whatever age his mother lives he will have a reign of 22 years - hardly short.
Charles seems quite healthy. God willing he lives to see his 90s as well, and yes that’s quite a reign, indeed.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Charles seems quite healthy. God willing he lives to see his 90s as well, and yes that’s quite a reign, indeed.
I certainly would love to see this...
Old 04-15-2021, 06:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I, for one, refuse to watch what looks to be a horrible video.

Charles won't have a long reign, but however unpopular he will be, I firmly believe he'll be an excellent king.
Charles won't be a factor in the downfall of the monarchy in the United Kingdom. He may be a factor in some Commonwealth realms like Australia, Jamaica or New Zealand (maybe even in Canada). Republicans in the aforementioned countries will be more active anyway when the Queen passes, even if William is King instead of Charles, which has very liitle chance of happening BTW.

Quote:

I get your point, but isn't a 20-year reign considered relatively short by modern European standards ?
Old 04-15-2021, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

I get your point, but isn't a 20-year reign considered relatively short by modern European standards ?

Depends on. If you look at the UK you have before the present Queen a reign of 15 years and of 25 years (without Edward VIII), in Denmark you have a reigns of almost 25 years and of 35 years, in Sweden you have 23 years, in the Netherlands one has reigns of 33 years and of 31,5 years.

It is now the case that there are 3 european monarchs who have quiet a long reign but that is also because the became King/Queen quiet young.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:42 AM
Majesty

it doesn't matter really does it? Charles wont become king till probably his mid 70s so of course he's not going to have a LOOONG reign.. but he'll do a good job.. the queen's had a very long reign but she certainly didn't expect to become queen at 25 and it was due to her father's sadly early death...
Old 04-15-2021, 09:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Charles won't be a factor in the downfall of the monarchy in the United Kingdom. He may be a factor in some Commonwealth realms like Australia, Jamaica or New Zealand (maybe even in Canada). Republicans in the aforementioned countries will be more active anyway when the Queen passes, even if William is King instead of Charles, which has very liitle chance of happening BTW.
It would be a shame if they left the Commonwealth because they don’t like Charles, but I certainly wouldn’t blame him - that’s their decision. Is that what the video was about ? Charles being unpopular in the Commonwealth ?
Old 04-15-2021, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Just because countries become a republic doesn't mean they will leave the Commonwealth. The vast majority of the Commonwealth countries are already republics - places like India, Pakistan, South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago. Barbados will soon join the list of republics but I have seen no suggestion that Barbados wants to leave the Commonwealth.

Charles was unanimously elected the next Head of the Commonwealth but republics and realms alike. The former PM of Australia, an avowed republican, Julia Gillard, publicly said she thought Prince Charles was the best choice to take over the position as Head of the Commonwealth when the time came.

When Australia debated becoming a republic in 1999 there was no suggestion that we would leave the Commonwealth (we already knew we would be hosting the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006 at the time of the referendum which says a lot about the idea of leaving the Commonwealth).
Old 04-15-2021, 10:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Just because countries become a republic doesn't mean they will leave the Commonwealth. The vast majority of the Commonwealth countries are already republics - places like India, Pakistan, South Africa and Trinidad and Tobago. Barbados will soon join the list of republics but I have seen no suggestion that Barbados wants to leave the Commonwealth.

Charles was unanimously elected the next Head of the Commonwealth but republics and realms alike. The former PM of Australia, an avowed republican, Julia Gillard, publicly said she thought Prince Charles was the best choice to take over the position as Head of the Commonwealth when the time came.

When Australia debated becoming a republic in 1999 there was no suggestion that we would leave the Commonwealth (we already knew we would be hosting the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne in 2006 at the time of the referendum which says a lot about the idea of leaving the Commonwealth).
You are right 37 out of the 53 Countries that form the Commonwealth of Nations are Republics with their own Heads of State and Governments. Only 16 are Commonwealth Realms with the Queen as their Head of State.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

And one of those realms is due to become a republic later this year - by 30th November although that isn't final yet.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

If what we think we know about the public opinion in the Uk because of what the papers write, we see now how fast they can change their tune when there is a death in the family. What will happen when the queen dies, apart from Charles becoming king the moment his mother closes her eyes forever?

We will see Camilla as the queen because who will tell the mourning new king that his wife is not good enough to be what the wife of the king always was: his queen? I doubt the papers will demand it and the politicians will do nothing to diminish their new king with that. And neither will Archie M-B be denied his rightful title of HRH Prince Archie of Sussex. I mean, we already accepted his first name as "Royal"...

Harry and Meghan have shown that you can be Royal and not work for the "public". Here on these forums and in some papers people have cried out for the removal of their Royal titles/styles, but thus far parliament's members have kept very quiet and I guess they will do so till they know what the new king will want. And while it is good that members of the Royal family do pseudo-ceremonial visits etc., open little windows to show new plaques or open places by cutting ribbons ("whatever that might be", to quote Prince Philip), it is something politicians or heads of charities can do as well, we learned that it doesn't really matter if you have Royals there or honorable others.

IMHO wearing uniforms showing off your "honorary military accolades" at funerals is over now because the question what is to be done with Andrew and Harry (the only members of the RF with an actual background in fighting for their country, while we all know about The Earl of Wessex and his uniform...) will stick around for the queen's death. And I'm not sure peerage coronets or minor Royal crowns with an ermine and scarlett velvet-coat is a good replacement. But maybe it is? And maybe the queen will live to see James Severn as a military man? (Though that doesn't answer the question about Harry and Andrew? But maybe the queen and her advisors will figure something out?

I think at king Charles' reign a lot of things will change because the things can't stay as they were. But I am pretty sure the monarchy of the Uk is not in danger with the current line of succession. And how will know what will happen till George is about to inherit from his father William?
Old 04-15-2021, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

That’s informative - thanks !
Old 04-18-2021, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
You’re welcome ! They are, and it’s profoundly moving to see.

Interesting article in the Telegraph ...I suppose it was to be expected, but there will be a summit - led by Charles and William - to determine the future of the Monarchy.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...harles-prince/
The Way Ahead Group: The Sequel

This absolutely sounds like something Philip would have advised Charles to do. Sit down and hash out how things will go in the future and plan for every contingency.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:44 PM
Aristocracy

The Daily Mail is now reporting that Prince Charles and Prince William will hold a summit within the next few weeks to decide the royal family's future, including who will have an official role.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ys-future.html

It will be interesting to see if this summit impacts Harry and Meghan's status in any way. I wouldn't expect so, but never say never...
Old 04-18-2021, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well a few front pages are claiming Harry, William and Charles met up for almost 2 hours today (yesterday?). And according to the Telegraph there will be a summit held soon to discuss if “part time royals” can happen in the future.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...harles-prince/

So maybe what Harry wanted for himself might be possible for Louis, Charlotte, etc when they come of age.

Hopefully they had some productive time together. If indeed it happened.

Maybe. I think it is possible to be part- time. But I think a big part of the problem with Harry and Meghan being part time royals is what their “other” time was supposed to look like. Saying you want to be an accountant in addition to doing royal duties is a bit different than what they wanted.

And then, of course, the way the Sussexes went about it was all wrong IMO. You don’t put up a website wishlist as fact and force the issue into the public domain like that.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
The Daily Mail is now reporting that Prince Charles and Prince William will hold a summit within the next few weeks to decide the royal family's future, including who will have an official role.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ys-future.html

It will be interesting to see if this summit impacts Harry and Meghan's status. I wouldn't expect so, but never say never...
My first gut reaction was that the summit will discuss a rumor we've all been hearing for so long that it's now of legal drinking age. The "slimming down of the monarchy" rumor.

This summit may also see the changes made to limiting the HRH prince/ss to the direct line of succession in the future meaning that Harry and Meghan's children will not be eligible when Charles becomes king. The Sussex children really don't *need* the HRH prince/ss as they'll be living primarily in the USA and have American citizenship.

As far as working engagements, I think we'll see that with a slimmed down monarchy that there'll be more and more charities and patronages covered by an "umbrella" like The Royal Foundation and The Prince's Trust.

Basically, though, I see it as the resurrection of the Way Ahead group from the 1990s.

Tags
camilla parker bowles, camilla parker-bowles, camilla's family