The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1081  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousewood View Post
Since Harry has withdrawn from royal work, I think he would refuse if asked. I also don't think he would be asked to be regent. However, he relates well with children andl loves George, so if that ever came to be there would be good rapport between them.
?? Any regent serves as the de facto head of state. Nothing to do with child care!!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:43 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think there should be a relative, such as the surviving parent, on a regency council.. or an uncle/aunt if there are none.
You could have a relative on a regency council I suppose along with two or three other eminent Britons. I'm not sure that many people would be happy with a member of the royal family serving as de facto head of state just by reason of being related to a child monarch.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:55 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
You could have a relative on a regency council I suppose along with two or three other eminent Britons. I'm not sure that many people would be happy with a member of the royal family serving as de facto head of state just by reason of being related to a child monarch.
As I said, on a regency council, not necessarily as sole Regent..
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 11-04-2020, 03:56 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
You could have a relative on a regency council I suppose along with two or three other eminent Britons. I'm not sure that many people would be happy with a member of the royal family serving as de facto head of state just by reason of being related to a child monarch.
Isn't that child also the monarch because they are related to the previous monarch? Maybe in this case it would be helpful to have the rule that instead of having the 'first in line' (which is now problematic as the first two adults in line are no longer serving as senior royals) have the rule that any royal highness in the line of succession (or any of the first X adults in the line of succession) could be called upon to serve as regent/de facto head of state? In that case, Edward or Anne would suddenly be likely options. (not sure by whom and how it should be determined though)
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 11-04-2020, 04:01 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Isn't that child also the monarch because they are related to the previous monarch? Maybe in this case it would be helpful to have the rule that instead of having the 'first in line' (which is now problematic as the first two adults in line are no longer serving as senior royals) have the rule that any royal highness in the line of succession (or any of the first X adults in the line of succession) could be called upon to serve as regent/de facto head of state? In that case, Edward or Anne would suddenly be likely options. (not sure by whom and how it should be determined though)
Since the monarchical system is defined by who is related to the last King, I agree about your first point. I think a Regency council would be teh best option, in the case of a child monarch, consisting of some nominated member of teh RF, members of the Government etc....
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 11-04-2020, 04:03 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Isn't that child also the monarch because they are related to the previous monarch? Maybe in this case it would be helpful to have the rule that instead of having the 'first in line' (which is now problematic as the first two adults in line are no longer serving as senior royals) have the rule that any royal highness in the line of succession (or any of the first X adults in the line of succession) could be called upon to serve as regent/de facto head of state? In that case, Edward or Anne would suddenly be likely options. (not sure by whom and how it should be determined though)
Yes indeed but they are but that just goes with the territory of being a monarchy. I don't think it therefore has to automatically follow that someone who isn't the monarch can exercise the powers of the monarch just because of a family link.

It all sounds a bit medieval. The last regency act was passed in 1953 when attitudes towards the monarchy were very different.
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 11-04-2020, 04:05 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Since the monarchical system is defined by who is related to the last King, I agree about your first point. I think a Regency council would be teh best option, in the case of a child monarch, consisting of some nominated member of teh RF, members of the Government etc....
Yes I agree. Ideal if they were completely non political figures. Similar to the sort of eminent citizens chosen as GG's in Commonwealth Realms.
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 11-04-2020, 04:32 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,780
While I do think it's possible, in a situation like the one presented, that there would be a Regent named for a King George VII that was a minor (I think the choice would end up being Catherine), but the Regent wouldn't have sole control. There would still be a Privy Council to advise the Regent. Perhaps even the Councillors of State would be drawn into supporting the King on matters. No matter who the Regent ended up being and made decisions for a minor King, they wouldn't make the decisions alone and unadvised. Just like the Queen listens to her Privy Council and her Prime Minster on matters of state.

One thing that did happen that is kind of similar to what we're looking at here is that when Diana died, Sir John Major was appointed as a "special guardian" over the boys in legal and administrative matters while the boys were minors. This was supposedly done at Charles' request.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...iana-royal-spt
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 11-04-2020, 06:56 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661


It seems important to distinguish between being the Regent (i.e., de facto head of state until the heir turns 18) versus making decisions about the future king (which I would presume would primarily be the responsibility of his mother).

I don't think many decisions have to be made 'for' the minor king as even the queen always follows the advice given (even when it's clearly wrong as we saw last year with the Brexit debacle). So, that wouldn't be any different for a Regent than it is for the Sovereign.
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 01-11-2021, 10:58 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: oswestry, United Kingdom
Posts: 22
So as we enter 2021 what do you think this year will be like. Prince Philip turns 100 of course and The Queen 95. I would expect Charles to do even more
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 01-11-2021, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 3,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
It seems important to distinguish between being the Regent (i.e., de facto head of state until the heir turns 18) versus making decisions about the future king (which I would presume would primarily be the responsibility of his mother).
Correct. The Regency Act stipulates:
During a Regency, unless Parliament otherwise determines,—

(a)if the Sovereign is under the age of eighteen years, and unmarried, His mother, if she is living, shall have the guardianship of His person;
Interestingly, it uses the gender-specific term "mother" rather than for example "surviving parent". I wonder if, at the time the Act was enacted, a widowed father would have automatically been given guardianship of his children? It would seem strange to me if Queen Elizabeth II had died leaving young children and the Duke of Edinburgh had lost his guardianship over them.
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 01-11-2021, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
So as we enter 2021 what do you think this year will be like. Prince Philip turns 100 of course and The Queen 95. I would expect Charles to do even more

For now I believe that any official foreign travel be it outgoing or incoming is unlikely happen for the first six months of 2021. The PoW has been his mother's representative overseas for a few years now so this will impact his calendar as well as the calendars for other members of the BRF: Camilla, Cambridges, Anne, Wessexes etc..


As for July through September, we'll have to see if foreign travel will be possible ie: Anne attending the Olympics in Tokyo.



As for domestic travel and visits, I expect that those will be curtailed for a few months, though perhaps by Spring it might be possible. IMO the Court Circular will continue to list all phone and virtual visits throughout the year.
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 01-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
For now I believe that any official foreign travel be it outgoing or incoming is unlikely happen for the first six months of 2021. The PoW has been his mother's representative overseas for a few years now so this will impact his calendar as well as the calendars for other members of the BRF: Camilla, Cambridges, Anne, Wessexes etc..


As for July through September, we'll have to see if foreign travel will be possible ie: Anne attending the Olympics in Tokyo.



As for domestic travel and visits, I expect that those will be curtailed for a few months, though perhaps by Spring it might be possible. IMO the Court Circular will continue to list all phone and virtual visits throughout the year.
I think we’re going to see more dual engagements with Charles, Camilla, William and Kate. There was an article some weeks ago about how well that one engagement (where Charles pushed William in a wheelchair/basketball) went went, so much so that the courtiers are looking to do more of those. I can’t find that article, unfortunately...Of course most of these engagements will be virtual, I’m sure.
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 01-11-2021, 12:28 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,477
I doubt it. They dont usually work together, as they can get more done if they split up.... It was a rare one for Will and Kate to do an engagment with Charles and Camilla.
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 01-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,780
Personally, I think in 2021 and beyond (after the "normalcy" from the pandemic resumes) that we're going to see a lot of things that seriously point to a soft transition between monarchs and a lot of that will be focused on the idea of "Team Windsor" as the Queen slows down even more and Charles steps up with the backing of the entire "Firm".

With the Queen reaching 95 and the DoE celebrating his 100th birthday this year, these two people deserve to rest more and smell the roses (or in the Queen's case, the stables).

I'll call 2021 and onwards "The Transition Time".
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 01-11-2021, 12:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I doubt it. They dont usually work together, as they can get more done if they split up.... It was a rare one for Will and Kate to do an engagment with Charles and Camilla.
And I said that the article indicated otherwise...that that one engagement went so well that courtiers were going to schedule more. This is my prediction - I’m not going to debate you on it.
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 01-11-2021, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I think we’re going to see more dual engagements with Charles, Camilla, William and Kate. There was an article some weeks ago about how well that one engagement (where Charles pushed William in a wheelchair/basketball) went went, so much so that the courtiers are looking to do more of those. I can’t find that article, unfortunately...Of course most of these engagements will be virtual, I’m sure.



I agree that in the coming years that we will see more joint engagements with the four which includes the official events associated with state visits when those are allowed to resume. Should the Queen's health begin to decline and she reduces her schedule to an even greater degree, then I believe that we'll see even more planned for the four.


As for 2021 it will likely depend upon what in-person engagements are permitted.
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 01-11-2021, 02:18 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: tacoma, United States
Posts: 638
The future of the British Monarchy is secure, unless some Politician think the country is better of as a Republic?. Who would like to stand for 2 hrs. and wait on them, if they can see the Queen or other members of the RF.
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 01-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,780
Standing to see a politician is quite low on the totem pole. One of the greatest things about the monarchy is that the Queen and the RF represent *all* the people whereas politicians tend to spout their opinions and gravitate one way or the other along party lines. Lately that's been a *huge* problem in the US as i think everyone and their pet parakeet realize by now.

The UK has the Queen and the RF. The US has um... a flag. Reminds me of the time this guy here wrote a letter to the Queen asking her to *please* take us back! The Queen did reply to him and told him "no".

https://indianexpress.com/article/tr...a-she-says-no/
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 01-11-2021, 03:02 PM
Muhler's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Eastern Jutland, Denmark
Posts: 14,592

Quite ominously, that looks like standard reply #134. To be printed out.

I.e. it's not the first such letter...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
camilla parker bowles, camilla parker-bowles, camilla's family


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy TODOI Royal Family of Spain 1678 08-15-2021 08:22 AM
The Future of the Danish Monarchy Empress Royal House of Denmark 797 05-31-2021 02:27 PM
Future of the Belgian monarchy Marengo Royal Family of Belgium 122 09-27-2020 08:03 AM
Future of the Dutch Monarchy Marengo Dutch Royals 42 09-25-2020 03:53 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing chinese clarence house commonwealth countries coronation crown jewels daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of sussex edward vii family tree genetics george vi gradenigo harry and meghan hello! highgrove history hochberg hypothetical monarchs japan japanese imperial family japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers meghan markle monarchists monarchy mongolia names plantinum jubilee pless politics portugal prince harry queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry solomon j solomon spanish royal family st edward sussex suthida thai royal family unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×