The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2020, 03:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Osipi my point was that Charles has been funding members of his family who are working royals... so if he were to designate Beatrice say as a working royal, he would problaby be giving her an allowance which might end up being for life. Charles does not want to take on more royals who will involve him in expenses...
I get what you're saying but I sincerely believe that when the time comes and Charles has decisions to make on who represents the monarchy, he's going to put the monarchy over how much he has to pay out in allowances. Personally, I've never seen Charles to be a miser. However, he does spend his money wisely and has had increased the Duchy of Cornwall by his investments. He's a pretty astute businessman.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I get what you're saying but I sincerely believe that when the time comes and Charles has decisions to make on who represents the monarchy, he's going to put the monarchy over how much he has to pay out in allowances. Personally, I've never seen Charles to be a miser. However, he does spend his money wisely and has had increased the Duchy of Cornwall by his investments. He's a pretty astute businessman.
He's careful with money, and in recent months has spent a lot on paying for his employees during the Covid Crisis, so I think he will balance carefully whether its better for him and his helpers to work a bit harder for a time or whether he is going to be paying an allowance to someone for life.. because that is what it might amount to. HIs major reason for cutting down on royal helpers is financial.. same as with other monarchies...

Old 10-13-2020, 01:24 AM
Royal Highness

Well I agree that Prince Charles has the funds to look after the other royals - the other royals actions to make money does make me wonder if they would rather prefer not to. Think Prince Andrew here and I am aware of their stock portfolios that the Queen set up for them - makes me think that they would prefer not to rely on it.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:12 AM
Majesty

Probably we will see all younger royals who are not in the direct line to succeed quite happily following their own careers and lifestyles and earning their own money, as happens in Europe. There might be a trust fund arrangement as well if the parents are very wealthy, or maybe not.

As far as the BRF are concerned, let's face it, the only one likely to have a life of royal duties for ever out of the Queen's grandchildren will be William. The others already have their own careers or in the case of the Wessex children, almost certainly will have.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Well I agree that Prince Charles has the funds to look after the other royals - the other royals actions to make money does make me wonder if they would rather prefer not to. Think Prince Andrew here and I am aware of their stock portfolios that the Queen set up for them - makes me think that they would prefer not to rely on it.
I suppose it depends. Royals who have obeyed the convention that royals dont work, except in the military, are likely to need/depend on money from the queen or charles to help them out. So IMO its Charles who does not want to take on royals as helpers and have them then claiming that they had to give up any chance of earning their own money and need an allownace from him. He has added to Will and Harry's incomes and when the older Royals like the Kents give up all work, he'll still probalby be paying them an allowance. So that's why he is wary and wnats to manage with relatively few helpers....I think that ANdrew for example DID resent that as a younger son he didn't have as much money as Charles and didnt' want to have to live largely on an allowance from him, and he wanted to make his own money...
Old 10-13-2020, 05:59 AM
Majesty

I agree that Andrew wished that he had the equivalent of the Duchy of Cornwall money and, during and after his RN years resented having to rely, in part at least, on his mother's largesse in the form of a yearly allowance being doled out to him. After all, that sort of allowance is in some ways a form of control.

One of Andrew's daughters has married an extremely wealthy man and the other has a thriving career, so the pattern isn't likely to be repeated even though there's a trust fund for both of them. IMO that's what will occur in the future with all the grandchildren and greatgrandchildren of HM, with the exception of one person in each generation. And everyone will be a lot happier in their private lives.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:43 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree that ultimately earning your own way and not having to depend on the Monarch or heir apparent to support you is likely a more ideal situation for some of them. Especially in these current times.

None of these people will ever be broke by any means but independence is no small thing.
Old 10-13-2020, 01:41 PM
Royal Highness

Hopefully all these issues can be ironed out for the next generation. Some sort of code of conduct would be helpful. What no one wants is individuals trading off their unearned status or monetising it. Inevitably relatives of the monarch will benefit from their connections but they must be dignified & discreet in what they do.

Careers in which they are promoted by merit & assessment in the same way as other employees would be ideal.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Hopefully all these issues can be ironed out for the next generation. Some sort of code of conduct would be helpful. What no one wants is individuals trading off their unearned status or monetising it. Inevitably relatives of the monarch will benefit from their connections but they must be dignified & discreet in what they do.

Careers in which they are promoted by merit & assessment in the same way as other employees would be ideal.
It is difficult to build a career when any job one holds leads to accusations of conflict of interest or influence peddling. Unfortunately that is what happens in the UK to younger children of the sovereign.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

The York princesses, especially Beatrice, were for years pilloried in the gutter press for "taking away jobs" from other, more "needy" or "deserving" people. Yet if they were not seen to work, they were "lazy" and living off the taxpayers. Eugenie has worked steadily since she graduated university, in the field she received her degree in no less, and still had the press focusing on her "holidays" many of which were actually business trips with the after work hours down-time being what hit the papers.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
The York princesses, especially Beatrice, were for years pilloried in the gutter press for "taking away jobs" from other, more "needy" or "deserving" people. Yet if they were not seen to work, they were "lazy" and living off the taxpayers. Eugenie has worked steadily since she graduated university, in the field she received her degree in no less, and still had the press focusing on her "holidays" many of which were actually business trips with the after work hours down-time being what hit the papers.
Sadly, this will be inevitable. There will be critics who tried to discredit their success, even when they (junior royal family members) earn through merit with little connections. I already saw some nasty comments on Lady Louise's carriage riding and horse riding: "She has the opportunity to do well, because she's from a wealthy family". I do think even non titled Royals can still face similar criticism (with maybe lesser extent), as critics continued to argue that Peter and Zara have "an easier ride to successful career", because their connections and who their grandparents are. It would not surprise me if these critics tries to discredit any future members of the Royal Family who got into Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge Universities) even after achieving high A-levels, that is adequate for their entry. These critics would argued that the main reason of academic success is purely due to their "private" education and tutors, not because they studied hard or academically gifted.

Speaking of Princess Eugenie, she has posted her artwork. The first picture is the photograph. The second one is her painting. She is definitely talented.
@princesseugenie Verified
It's World Art Day... I wanted to share something I did some years ago now. ⁣
Looking through my old art and crafts has been so fun today and I just hope this time can bring about more creativity from anyone who enjoys it. ⁣
⁣Happy #worldartday
25w
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_A54FNF3uU/
Old 10-14-2020, 06:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Sadly, this will be inevitable. There will be critics who tried to discredit their success, even when they (junior royal family members) earn through merit with little connections. I already saw some nasty comments on Lady Louise's carriage riding and horse riding: "She has the opportunity to do well, because she's from a wealthy family". I do think even non titled Royals can still face similar criticism (with maybe lesser extent), as critics continued to argue that Peter and Zara have "an easier ride to successful career", because their connections and who their grandparents are. It would not surprise me if these critics tries to discredit any future members of the Royal Family who got into Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge Universities) even after achieving high A-levels, that is adequate for their entry. These critics would argued that the main reason of academic success is purely due to their "private" education and tutors, not because they studied hard or academically gifted.

S⁣
⁣Happy #worldartday
25w[/INDENT]https://www.instagram.com/p/B_A54FNF3uU/
ALL royals get criticism. Why shouldn't they? They are rich privileged people who have wealth and status that isn't earned.. so of course they are going to be criticised. They are ordinary human beings, so they get things wrong, are very far from perfect and so of course, they are going to be noticed and criticised. Eugenie and Beatrice wernt much liked because they were seen as socialites dabbling in jobs, and also they are the daughters of a very unpopular couple.. over time they have slid into tolerated and ignored status by the press...but all royals are going to have times when the press and public are going to dislike them
Old 10-14-2020, 07:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
ALL royals get criticism. Why shouldn't they? They are rich privileged people who have wealth and status that isn't earned.. so of course they are going to be criticised. They are ordinary human beings, so they get things wrong, are very far from perfect and so of course, they are going to be noticed and criticised. Eugenie and Beatrice wernt much liked because they were seen as socialites dabbling in jobs, and also they are the daughters of a very unpopular couple.. over time they have slid into tolerated and ignored status by the press...but all royals are going to have times when the press and public are going to dislike them
Of course, they will get criticism, it's part of freedom of press and freedom of speech. I'm not saying that they should be exempt from criticism. All I'm saying that they should be prepared for any lies, gossips, smears or accusation without being shut down by the Palace. They are probably advised not to read any social media comments, commentators or tabloids. I started to notice the reduced level of negative comments towards Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie from the Daily Mail readers after Meghan arrived at the scene. They seem to be shifting their vitriol at Meghan, as Beatrice and Eugenie are "the lesser of two evils". Yes, after the York Princesses' wedding, people started to know more about them and perhaps less cynical, when they found out about their charity works (which are very close to Beatrice and Eugenie).
Old 10-14-2020, 07:45 AM
Royal Highness

yes - very true.
Unfortunately the criticism is seen as the sentiment of the majority of the people, just because it is online and liked. And then the sentiment of the online community is pulled through to the general opinion. I am always concerned when people, especially young people match their opinion to what they are told to think about that they see online.
The criticism of all royals see increasingly as the media, not only the tabloid press are coming to regard social media as sources of news. And rather as correct barometers of attitude. It is unfair - terribly for all concerned. Not a single royal are treated like people, but I think that says a lot of society, not about the royals.
I think that one royal is currently doing work under a pseudonym - I wonder if that will come out one day - not that I actually want it to. I doubt it will even acknowledged either way . But how are critics going to say that the success was due to him been in the royal family, when it is done anonymously.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
OI started to notice the reduced level of negative comments towards Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie from the Daily Mail readers after Meghan arrived at the scene. They seem to be shifting their vitriol at Meghan, as Beatrice and Eugenie are "the lesser of two evils". Yes, after the York Princesses' wedding, people started to know more about them and perhaps less cynical, when they found out about their charity works (which are very close to Beatrice and Eugenie).
The papers are not less cynical..Generally Im sure they dont have personal feelings for any Royal.. They just regard them as fodder for stories..
but its probable that Meghan did draw away some fire, because she was new and new brides now get a lot of criticism rather than the honeymoon period they used to get.... But usually, in time, the "unpopular royal" finds that their position has faded into acceptance or ignoring.. Anne was disliked very much years ago. She then got a period of admiration for her hard work.. and then she just faded into not being noticed very much... Probably had Meghan stayed, she would have found the same cycle happening to her.. that in a few years she'd move into "acceptance with mild tolerance," and would not have that much attention paid to her as the Cambridges would be taking more of it and in another few years, the Cambridge kids would be getting more notice. That happened to the queen's younger children as Will and Harry grew older...
I think that now Bea and Eugenie are drifting into a " They're ok, we dont mind them.." stage -and they will fade out of press notice as they become wives and mothers and are just seen as minor royals who are OK, who do a little charity work and dont attract much attention, one way or the other....
Old 10-14-2020, 08:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
yes - very true.
Unfortunately the criticism is seen as the sentiment of the majority of the people, just because it is online and liked. And then the sentiment of the online community is pulled through to the general opinion. I am always concerned when people, especially young people match their opinion to what they are told to think about that they see online.
The criticism of all royals see increasingly as the media, not only the tabloid press are coming to regard social media as sources of news. And rather as correct barometers of attitude. It is unfair - terribly for all concerned. Not a single royal are treated like people, but I think that says a lot of society, not about the royals.
I think that one royal is currently doing work under a pseudonym - I wonder if that will come out one day - not that I actually want it to. I doubt it will even acknowledged either way . But how are critics going to say that the success was due to him been in the royal family, when it is done anonymously.
If a royal is abel to "do work under a pseudonym" then he must be a fairly minor royal.. and not likely to attract much press notice anyway...
Old 10-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is difficult to build a career when any job one holds leads to accusations of conflict of interest or influence peddling. Unfortunately that is what happens in the UK to younger children of the sovereign.
Yes it is unfortunate. On the other hand the more it happens the more people will just get used to it I suppose.

The alternative is for younger children to continue to carry out public duties & I suspect there's even less appetite for that from the public. There's certainly not a great amount of interest from what I can see.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
The media is beastly of course. That won't change probably but public attitudes towards relatives of the monarch working will hopefully mature & with luck they will be left to lead relatively private independent lives.

It will have to be a generational shift in attitudes towards individuals who just happen to be related to the monarch. Healthier for all in the end.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
If a royal is abel to "do work under a pseudonym" then he must be a fairly minor royal.. and not likely to attract much press notice anyway...
lol - sorry let me explain. How will the public react if Banksy turns out to be Prince Micheal?
Old 10-14-2020, 04:06 PM
Serene Highness

For those of you who are citizens of the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries, do you feel the Monarchy will last long enough for William to be crowned King? I hope it does and I hope I am alive to see it, but I am just wondering what the general feeling is.

Tags
camilla parker bowles, camilla parker-bowles, camilla's family