The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Prince Philip is not a Windsor; he is House of Glucksburg until 1947 and House of Mountbatten from 1947. Remember when he complained about not being able to give his children his surname!
His title before he became a Prince was His Royal Highness Sir Philip Mountbatten (by letter patent 1947). In 1957, The Queen granted him the style and title of a Prince and he is now styled as His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Thanks. Told you I needed more coffee.

It wasn't until later that the Queen even coined the name Mountbatten-Windsor for her descendants not holding HRH and royal titles.

The brain can be a marvelously confusing thing when not fed enough caffeine it needs.

Old 08-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
So is Mountbatten...
Yes so what difference does it make that Phillip doesn't carry the surname Windsor.

LaRae

Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 PM
Courtier

The point is Prince Philip did not take his wife's name.

Moutbatten is not made up, but it is a translation from German to English.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The point is Prince Philip did not take his wife's name.

Moutbatten is not made up, but it is a translation from German to English.
It was expedient at the time for the Battenberg's to drop their German sounding name to become Mountbattens.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I do agree; all I wanted to say is that Prince Philip is not a Windsor, he is a Mountbatten.
He is not really a Mountbatten. He is a Prince of Greece and Denmark from the royal dynasty Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

He had to relinguish his royal style and title and chose to adapt his British mother's anglicized surname "Mountbatten" to stress he is half British indeed.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Yes so what difference does it make that Phillip doesn't carry the surname Windsor.

LaRae
Im not sure what you mean
Old 08-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Er well really Windsor is just a made up name that replaced Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

LaRae
Windsor was derived from the name of Windsor Castle. Nearly all names of European royal dynasties were originally taken from the names of their castles or lands, including Saxony, Coburg, Gotha, and Battenberg, so the Windsors were merely following an ancient tradition in 1917.

There is by the way a thread for this topic:

Windsor/Mountbatten-Windsor: Name of Royal House and Surname
Old 08-10-2020, 02:35 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It was expedient at the time for the Battenberg's to drop their German sounding name to become Mountbattens.

Berg means mount (or "mountain") in German. So Mountbatten is just an English translation of Battenberg.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Heir Apparent

One sign of the future, Charles will not renew his lease of Home Farm near his Highgrove home when it comes up in Spring. The Prince "can't commit to a new 20 year lease" and Clarence House has said "The Prince of Wales will not be renewing his lease on Home Farm but will continue to farm organically at Sandringham."

A clear sign that he is taking over more at Sandringham and that will be his future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-53819052
Old 08-18-2020, 04:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
One sign of the future, Charles will not renew his lease of Home Farm near his Highgrove home when it comes up in Spring. The Prince "can't commit to a new 20 year lease" and Clarence House has said "The Prince of Wales will not be renewing his lease on Home Farm but will continue to farm organically at Sandringham."

A clear sign that he is taking over more at Sandringham and that will be his future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-53819052

Sorry, I am not familiar with the details of the Prince's finances and farming activities. Was Home Farm associated with his Duchy estate or a completely separate thing? And how does he farm exactly at Sandringham? Does he lease land from the Queen, who owns the estate?
Old 08-18-2020, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Home Farm is located right next to Highgrove, both are owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and leased by Charles. He is only giving up the lease on Home Farm, not Highgrove itself. (That we know of so far anyway) Wikipedia has a page on it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_Home_Farm. Basically it sounds like it farms most the land around Highgrove and some of the produce sold as Duchy Originals is from there. Obviously it is run on a day to day basis by a Farm manager and support staff but Charles has been "the boss".

Charles is said to have been "handed responsibility" for the running of Sandringham since around December 2014 taking over from Philip who was in charge before. Again I'm sure it is managed by people for him but he is the one making the big decisions and giving the direction. The Sandringham Estate is still owned by HM, as far as we know, and will likely be left to Charles in her will as all bequests from Sovereign to Sovereign are free of tax.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:56 PM
Commoner

The Home Farm at Sandringham was always large and productive. A lot of work was put into farm infrastructure, including greenhouses and barns, and there were orchards as well as espaliered fruit trees in the gardens. We don't hear about it much now.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Have to agree we don't that much about the farming side of Sandringham, all I know is they make their own apple juice and provide blackcurrants for Ribena (or use to)
Old 08-18-2020, 08:39 PM
Commoner

Interesting! The Sandringham estate is huge, so it will certainly offer opportunities for expansion. PS: I wonder how the DofE's truffle project is going. I think it is a Wood's Farm.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I'm not mistaken, the Duke of Edinburgh really flourished in his job as being the estate manager of Sandringham. He loves to putter. He loves to come up with the new and improved way of doing something. This is why it doesn't surprise me that he prefers to reside at Wood Farm and keep his finger on the pulse of everything going on in regards to the estate.

I think this is where Charles takes after his father. They're both doers and thinking of ways to do things better rather than leave the job to someone else to do.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Most people in most Constitutional monarchies are not that interested. they may feel a mild liking, or they may just feel that the sysetem works fairly well so why fix it? But I thnk that some Americans think that because a country is a monarchy, its people are all interested in their particular RF and devoted to the people in it.
I lived in Australia with a constitutional monarchy. Yes, there are royal watchers or royal fans who follows the British Royal Family members closely. Perhaps there are more royal watchers or staunch followers in Canada, Australia and New Zealand compare to the UK (this is just speculation)

Then there are constitutional monarchists, who want The Sovereign (or Monarchy of the United Kingdom) to be Australia's head of State. These people may not necessary be interested in the Royal Family, but would much prefer the current system than an elected Head of State (i.e. Republic).

Recently, I saw a Facebook post (I have yet to find the link), where the President or Chairman of the British Monarchy Support League (something along the lines) wants the Duke of Sussex title remove from Harry and Meghan. This society has an Honorary position for a MP, who belongs to the Conservative Party.

I am still finding for the link, but I am not sure if I could find it
Old 08-30-2020, 08:07 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
I lived in Australia with a constitutional monarchy. Yes, there are royal watchers or royal fans who follows the British Royal Family members closely. Perhaps there are more royal watchers or staunch followers in Canada, Australia and New Zealand compare to the UK (this is just speculation)

Then there are constitutional monarchists, who want The Sovereign (or Monarchy of the United Kingdom) to be Australia's head of State. These people may not necessary be interested in the Royal Family, but would much prefer the current system than an elected Head of State (i.e. Republic).

Recently, I saw a Facebook post (I have yet to find the link), where the President or Chairman of the British Monarchy Support League (something along the lines) wants the Duke of Sussex title remove from Harry and Meghan. This society has an Honorary position for a MP, who belongs to the Conservative Party.

I am still finding for the link, but I am not sure if I could find it
I doubt if many people are that bothered about Harry keeping his duke of Sussex title..and I doubt if there are many in this league.. Unless H and Meg make some big announcement that they don't like teh UK and that they're much happier in US, or if Meghan does go in for a formal political role, I think his dukedom is safe.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post

Accepting the monarchy is the default position for most people in the UK. At least for the moment.

On the other hand the spectacle of members of the royal family cynically using their status to enrich themselves or amplify their voice, whilst not turning Britain into a republic overnight, will certainly chip away at peoples’ respect for the current system. And undermine trust. If Britain ever does become a republic it will be a process & not an event. Death by a thousand cuts as it were.

At least with a republic the relatives of the head of state can only be prominent for a term or two.

[....]
Old 08-30-2020, 11:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Accepting the monarchy is the default position for most people in the UK. At least for the moment.

On the other hand the spectacle of members of the royal family cynically using their status to enrich themselves or amplify their voice, whilst not turning Britain into a republic overnight, will certainly chip away at peoples’ respect for the current system. And undermine trust. If Britain ever does become a republic it will be a process & not an event. Death by a thousand cuts as it were.

At least with a republic the relatives of the head of state can only be prominent for a term or two.

Mods - please move if this is best in another thread.
I rather thought that a lot of Australians wuld prefer an Australian non royal head of state....
Old 08-30-2020, 11:55 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I rather thought that a lot of Australians wuld prefer an Australian non royal head of state....
Sorry I don't follow. I was commenting on constitutional monarchy in the UK & how the actions of members of the royal family can erode support for it over time. I'm sure lots of (most?) Australians might prefer one of their own as HofS.