The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

Losing the monarchy would be like cutting the heart out of the UK. I say this as an American that would rather have the continual flow of history in my country than the constant need to rewrite it, politicize it and sometimes even destroy it.
Well it would certainly be a very different constitutional reality. I think the heart is in the culture (of each home nation) but I get your point. The monarchy is (for a majority at least) a unifying symbol & a living link to the past although in an ancient land it isn't the only one. There is also a long & honourable history of republicanism & radicalism. The USA came about in part because of that tradition.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Ahhh... the kids never do grow up to be the way you wanted them to be and how you perceived them to be. Such is life.

Old 08-08-2020, 04:40 PM
Royal Highness

Bolshy teenagers thinking they know best. The other kids hung round for a bit longer & listed to mum.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
The British Monarch is not wanted in the Commonwealth countries and I think it's right if the junior Kents and Gloucesters and Yorks are all in private life.
YOu mean the children of the 3 Royal dukes, all of whose children ARE in private life???
Old 08-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Well it would certainly be a very different constitutional reality. I think the heart is in the culture (of each home nation) but I get your point. The monarchy is (for a majority at least) a unifying symbol & a living link to the past although in an ancient land it isn't the only one. There is also a long & honourable history of republicanism & radicalism. The USA came about in part because of that tradition.
Its interesting, but I would say it has lasted because the RF have been ruthlessly pragmatic and done what was necessary to survive. Those who tried ot hold back the forces of change, like Charles I, were gotten rid of.
And because most British are not that ideologically minded and tend to stick with it because it seems to work reasonably well.... if that changes, they are gone.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its interesting, but I would say it has lasted because the RF have been ruthlessly pragmatic and done what was necessary to survive. Those who tried ot hold back the forces of change, like Charles I, were gotten rid of.
And because most British are not that ideologically minded and tend to stick with it because it seems to work reasonably well.... if that changes, they are gone.
Yes that's all fair comment.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:49 PM
Administrator

A number of posts have been deleted either because they were political or drifted away from the topic of the thread. These deletions include responses to those posts.

Please note that this thread is NOT a platform for political rants or assessments on the state of the British economy. Thank you.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The princess royal is turning 70 this month, while she might still do some royal activities if her brother is on the throne at that point, I do think her workload will have been reduced considerably. So, not really a reason for the younger Cambridge siblings not to get involved.

I assume William and Catherine will talk things through very extensively with all three of their children before a decision is made. As I'm sure they don't want another Harry. So it should be clear from the beginning whether they'll be full-time royals or not; and if not, what minor role they might have in supporting their father and brother.
Anne keeps saying she will follow her mother and father's example on slowing down with age i.e. not doing so. I suspect she will be around for a long while yet. TBH I think Charles will be happy with Anne and the Wessex's working as they are so discreet and go about their duties quietly it won't hurt having them on side. They may not do as they have done, going on foreign tours etc but visits in the UK to charities and organisations I see happening until they call it a day. Edward and Sophie will still have the Duke of Edinburgh Awards to work for anyway. The recent docu about Anne and the reception to it showed most people if they have an opinion, see her as hard working and an asset so why ditch her and face the bad press of being the "mean, self centered big bro" who seem to want all the attention to himself. I've always had the impression Charles found Andrew and his high profile antics and desire to have Beatrice and Eugenie on full time royal duties as the main issue to rallying agains and that is no longer an issue (well is now a different issue). I'm honestly of the belief no HRH's will be told not to work if they still want to but that there will be greater limiting in the future to those that are expected and asked to undertake duties.

That said I think some royals will take HM's passing as a chance to step down or slow down. the Duke of Kent is said to have commented that he "can't stop while HM goes on" or words to that affect.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Anne keeps saying she will follow her mother and father's example on slowing down with age i.e. not doing so. I suspect she will be around for a long while yet. TBH I think Charles will be happy with Anne and the Wessex's working as they are so discreet and go about their duties quietly it won't hurt having them on side. They may not do as they have done, going on foreign tours etc but visits in the UK to charities and organisations I see happening until they call it a day. Edward and Sophie will still have the Duke of Edinburgh Awards to work for anyway. The recent docu about Anne and the reception to it showed most people if they have an opinion, see her as hard working and an asset so why ditch her and face the bad press of being the "mean, self centered big bro" who seem to want all the attention to himself. I've always had the impression Charles found Andrew and his high profile antics and desire to have Beatrice and Eugenie on full time royal duties as the main issue to rallying agains and that is no longer an issue (well is now a different issue). I'm honestly of the belief no HRH's will be told not to work if they still want to but that there will be greater limiting in the future to those that are expected and asked to undertake duties.

That said I think some royals will take HM's passing as a chance to step down or slow down. the Duke of Kent is said to have commented that he "can't stop while HM goes on" or words to that affect.
Does anyone really think Charles would ask his sister to step down? I don't see that at all. Aside from the fact that she's an asset, and that he'll need the help.......he's also apparently the closest to her. Winnowing down the BRF in terms of working royals is one thing, getting rid of nearly everyone is quite another. In any case, with Harry and Meghan gone, Charles' plan to thin the herd has likely been scuttled.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post

IMO, Harry will be drafted back in (with future spouse) after a period of rehabilitation. George will need to start doing royal duties part time while in University and full time not soon after. Work load needs might necessitate George getting married sooner than his father and grandfather did. Charlotte might do royal duties before marriage but I cannot see Louis being a full time royal. I doubt in 20 years there will be much appetite to have all three of the POW/Monarch's children on the public payroll. Esp. if Anne, Edward and Sophie are still around doing royal duties.

I don't think being "on the public payroll" is much of an issue in the UK as it is in the continent. The main difference here is that the BRF is largely self-funded by surplus revenue from real estate portfolios, be it the Crown Estate (which funds the Sovereign Grant), the Duchy of Lancaster, or the Duchy of Cornwall. They don't get money from the general state budget funded by taxation, so there is really no proper "payroll" so to speak.
Old 08-08-2020, 07:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Does anyone really think Charles would ask his sister to step down? I don't see that at all. Aside from the fact that she's an asset, and that he'll need the help.......he's also apparently the closest to her. Winnowing down the BRF in terms of working royals is one thing, getting rid of nearly everyone is quite another. In any case, with Harry and Meghan gone, Charles' plan to thin the herd has likely been scuttled.
Anne is like her father and most likely would take the attitude when death comes calling, she'd tell him to "naff off. I've things to do today!"
Old 08-09-2020, 02:20 AM
Serene Highness

I don't think for a minute that Charles would ask Anne to step down. He wouldn't dare, for one thing - she'd tell him where to shove his suggestion! She's also seen as being very hard-working, and Save The Children and other charities would struggle to replace her and so they'd be furious.

As things are, we don't know what lies ahead. Tourism and the arts have been very badly hit by all this: we don't know when theatres will be able to reopen, and places like the British Museum and the Tate Gallery rely heavily on visitors from abroad, and not many people are travelling at the moment. The Royals can have a big part to play in promoting them all as the world tries to rebuild.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:02 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I don't think for a minute that Charles would ask Anne to step down. He wouldn't dare, for one thing - she'd tell him where to shove his suggestion! She's also seen as being very hard-working, and Save The Children and other charities would struggle to replace her and so they'd be furious.

As things are, we don't know what lies ahead. Tourism and the arts have been very badly hit by all this: we don't know when theatres will be able to reopen, and places like the British Museum and the Tate Gallery rely heavily on visitors from abroad, and not many people are travelling at the moment. The Royals can have a big part to play in promoting them all as the world tries to rebuild.
The role played by the principals throughout the pandemic has been exemplary - from The Queen's rallying broadcast, the various Zoom meetings with key workers, the Wessexs' volunteer work have all absolutely managed to hit the right note.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think being "on the public payroll" is much of an issue in the UK as it is in the continent. The main difference here is that the BRF is largely self-funded by surplus revenue from real estate portfolios, be it the Crown Estate (which funds the Sovereign Grant), the Duchy of Lancaster, or the Duchy of Cornwall. They don't get money from the general state budget funded by taxation, so there is really no proper "payroll" so to speak.
There is still a public perception, which may not be quite accurate but is still going to be taken into account. The public are increasingly thinking "cut the costs" and "get rid of the ones who aren't that important to the job". The recent events with 2 "spares" is making people think "do we need the spare working, since it seems as if these last 2 have gotten into trouble.. or shown a lack of willingness to fit in."
I'm not saying that Harry's behaviour is anything like as awful as Andrews.. but it is probably partly fueled by his feeling that he doesn't want to go on working for the firm for life, without a chance to have a life of his own and make some income of his own..
And the public response to that is likely to be "well, let him go then... if he wants a life of hs own outside the RF, let him go away and make his own income.."
the charity work isn't vital... it can be cut down and when one of the workers who was deemed "essential" has walked out of his own accord, I think the public will be more eager for the RF to cut back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post

For the moment there are still several workers, and they can gradually work the RF into the next reign, and help with charities whihc may be sorely needed until the economy recovers. However, Anne's not immortal, and neither is Edward and the cousins Ed and Alexandra are very old now and in indifferent health. I think they should be allowed to slow down and stop...
Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
However, Anne's not immortal, and neither is Edward and the cousins Ed and Alexandra are very old now and in indifferent health. I think they should be allowed to slow down and stop...
"allowed"? If they wanted to retire no one could, or would want to, stop them, after the service they've given.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet14 View Post
"allowed"? If they wanted to retire no one could, or would want to, stop them, after the service they've given.
Its possible that they might be persuaded to go on, at a stage when they want to stop.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet14 View Post

The Duke of Kent's alleged statement says it all: as long as the Queen, who is older than they are, goes on, they probably feel obligated to stay as working royals. Barring any serious, incapacitating health problem, I don't see them retiring in the current reign. Once Charles ascends the throne, I am pretty sure they will be discreetly asked to step down.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duke of Kent's alleged statement says it all: as long as the Queen, who is older than they are, goes on, they probably feel obligated to stay as working royals. Barring any serious, incapacitating health problem, I don't see them retiring in the current reign. Once Charles ascends the throne, I am pretty sure they will be discreetly asked to step down.
I'm positive that Edward and Alexandra will be allowed to go on for as long as they want but I agree that they won't even consider retiring for as long as the Queen is still working. To them being a royal is about helping the monarch serve the nation which they've done for her entire reign.
Their formidable mother would probably rise from her grave and haunt them for eternity if she felt that they let the Queen down.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:18 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Why would they be asked to step down? If they want to go, or if their health is really poor (it already Is, I think for both Pss Alex and teh D of Kent), I am sure there would be no problem about letting them retrire...But I cant see why Charles would say "I want them to go". If they're up to doing the odd engagement, I cant see why he would say No, I don't want them doing that. If it is to do with money, he's goig to be paying them soemthing till they die anyway so its not like it will cost him more.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:56 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Anne keeps saying she will follow her mother and father's example on slowing down with age i.e. not doing so.
Are you really claiming that the queen and duke of Edinburgh are just as active as they were 20-30 years ago?

I expect Anne to continue royal engagements as long as she can - and surely when her brother is on the throne. However, slowing down by the time she reaches 90 (if she is still alive and able to carry out royal duties) does seem far more likely than keeping up with her current speed.

Tags
camilla parker bowles, camilla parker-bowles, camilla's family