The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2020, 11:09 AM
Commoner

Is it likely that this decade is going to be the decade we are going to get a coronation. Its very exciting and will be very exciting seeing one. Will it likely be grander then a royal wedding and bigger celebrations. Will London have decorations. Very exciting

Old 06-18-2020, 11:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
Is it likely that this decade is going to be the decade we are going to get a coronation. Its very exciting and will be very exciting seeing one. Will it likely be grander then a royal wedding and bigger celebrations. Will London have decorations. Very exciting
Its tricky to look towards coronations and enthronements when the incumbent is fit and able to discharge her duties ably. But given the incumbent is 94 already, it is not unreasonable to assume that the next decade may well see a coronation.

I expect the coronation will be a big affair, and London will certainly be decked out for the event.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:31 PM
Majesty

THere is no saying. Since we dont know waht will happen in relation to Covid in the future it may be that they dont have a big coronation.. Im sure Charles would like a ceremonial one but that may not be possible. And in another couple of decades its unlikely that there will be a coronation at all...
Old 06-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Commoner

What do you mean with Covid. Why would Covid affect anything. You do realize Covid is not going to last forever. Social distancing won't last forever either as society won't stand for it and people will eventually rebel. Give it a couple of months and there will likely be vaccine news or more drugs available but by the time the coronation happens coronavirus won't even be glanced at, it will just be a seasonal virus that people will have a vaccine for.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Majesty

We don't know what is going to happen with Covid.. If people "rebel" and cause another spike in deaths, is that going to be permitted?

we dont know if or when a vaccine is going to be found, or if treatments will improve...
People will probably travel less for some time to come.. and so there wont be so many people coming to London as there used to be..
I think that Charles would like a big coronation but its not going to be anything like his mothers. And by the time Will is king, probably there wont be a coronation at all.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:15 PM
Commoner

Without wanting to cause an argument it just isn't realistic to expect people to socially distance forever until the end of the world. Treatments are already there for coronavirus with new drugs helping people who are on a ventilator. I'm much more positive then I was a couple of months ago and if you watch the UK science officer he said he is optimistic that the 200 vaccine projects happening around the world at least one of them will work and also other treatments that are in the process happening right now like blood plasma treatments.

Just try and remain hopeful. Viruses usually die out on their own, this one will as well. There will be better treatments. I'm 100% sure that people won't travel less, you only have to see on the news about the shops being open and the millions of people entering these shops, things are slowly getting to normal and I can assure you by the time the coronation comes I will come back on here this thread message you and coronavirus will have long gone from the back of our minds, we will be able to hold the street parties and hug each other again.

Try and remain positive, I know its difficult but its all we can do at the moment and things like I said are improving. Did you even think 2 months ago it would be 1 meter plus and cinema's will be opening. In a years time just think what will happen when they will know even more about this virus which every passing second they learn more and more about it (:
Old 06-24-2020, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Time to get back on topic. Any further off topic posts will be deleted.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:34 PM
Nobility

I don't think that any of the monarchies is going to last because I am stunned at the indifference by young women; young men have been indifferent for decades.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
I don't think that any of the monarchies is going to last because I am stunned at the indifference by young women; young men have been indifferent for decades.

Iím sorry this is a rather mass generalisation.

I work with lots of young people on a regular basis. Many of them have a good understanding of the Monarchy and lot of respect for The Queen.

I donít want to generalise and Iíd say there are a lot of young people who probably donít have much interest. But itís not a fair or full picture to generalise like this.

God Save The Queen!

Old 06-24-2020, 06:20 PM
Courtier

I’m thinking 20 years ahead here, after all this thread is about the future of the British Monarchy. I’ve done a count of the everyone who’s has been a British Royal in the last decades from 1950 and then projected it to 2040, what I feel might be correct:
1950 – 17 Royal Highnesses (also including Monarch and spouse)
1960 – 17
1970 – 17
1980 – 16
1990 – 22
2000 – 21
2010 – 19
2020 – 24 (today’s count, but not including Louise and James who are technically RH)
2030 – 18
2040 – 11
So as you can see, with natural attrition, if the Monarchy is still going by 2040, which I hope it will, there will not be many RH at all.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan D View Post
My country, Portugal, is a repķlica, that's why I can give a different view.
In Portugal most people are indifferent to the Presidency of Repķlica. In the elections to choose the President of The Republic there is always a very high abstention.
People just don't care or don't care.
The current president, should be the most popular since democracy was restored in Portugal, but people do not have much interest in the president's agenda, and ironically although many people like him, is also much criticized, especially in recent times.
In my opinion, people generally do not care much if a country is a republic or a monarchy, as long as it does not affect the lives of the people.
Monarchies have a great chance of continuing in the coming decades, because people are not very interested in these issues, and when they are well they do not want to change.
Old 06-25-2020, 12:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
I’m thinking 20 years ahead here, after all this thread is about the future of the British Monarchy. I’ve done a count of the everyone who’s has been a British Royal in the last decades from 1950 and then projected it to 2040, what I feel might be correct:
1950 – 17 Royal Highnesses (also including Monarch and spouse)
1960 – 17
1970 – 17
1980 – 16
1990 – 22
2000 – 21
2010 – 19
2020 – 24 (today’s count, but not including Louise and James who are technically RH)
2030 – 18
2040 – 11
So as you can see, with natural attrition, if the Monarchy is still going by 2040, which I hope it will, there will not be many RH at all.
I do not understand what you want to say with these numbers. When you look to big monarchies like Spain or Japan, or to the biggest of the medium sized monarchies (in inhabitants) like the Netherlands, they do perfectly well with just a handful royals.

In this era with 24/24 hours worldwide visibility there is no any need for Senior and Junior royals plus royals in the periphery of the royal family. After all Germany, France, Italy, Russia etc. do perfectly with a president + partner, with even the public not able to name ONE member of their president's family...
Old 06-25-2020, 01:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing I'm certain of is that we can't predict a future based on what the climate is today. Who knows what the world will be like 10 years from now. Last year, who would ever have thought that we'd all be confined to staying at home and needing to wear face masks to go to the grocery store because of a pandemic?
Old 06-25-2020, 03:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I do not understand what you want to say with these numbers.
I just found it interesting, that's all.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
Iím thinking 20 years ahead here, after all this thread is about the future of the British Monarchy. Iíve done a count of the everyone whoís has been a British Royal in the last decades from 1950 and then projected it to 2040, what I feel might be correct:

[...]

2040 Ė 11

The number was higher when I counted.

These fourteen HRHs will likely be living, considering their ages in 2040. (The older children of Queen Elizabeth would be past the average life expectancy for Britons, but they are the children of parents who have already lived to 94 and 99 respectively.)

HRH the Prince of Wales - 91
HRH the Princess Royal - 89
HRH the Duke of York - 79
HRH the Earl of Wessex - 75

HRH the Countess of Wessex - 74
HRH the Duke of Cambridge - 57
HRH the Duchess of Cambridge - 57
HRH the Duke of Sussex - 55
HRH the Duchess of Sussex - 58
HRH Princess Beatrice of York - 51
HRH Princess Eugenie of York / Mrs. Jack Brooksbank - 49

HRH Prince George of Cambridge - 26
HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge - 24
HRH Prince Louis of Cambridge - 21

Additionally, these five HRHs would be at an age where they may still be alive in 2040.

HRH Prince Michael of Kent - 97
HRH Princess Michael of Kent - 94
HRH the Duke of Gloucester - 95
HRH the Duchess of Gloucester - 93
HRH the Duchess of Cornwall - 90

These three persons who are not HRHs for the moment may also be HRHs in 2040, given the information that has been communicated.

Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor - 36
Viscount Severn - 32
Archie Mountbatten-Windsor - 21

Lastly, these hypothetical persons may be HRHs in 2040.

A future wife of Prince George
A future wife of the Duke of York
A future wife of Viscount Severn
A future sibling of Archie Mountbatten-Windsor

Thus, assuming that the present HRHs will remain HRHs (or HMs) and the rules remain as they are, I count between 14-26 HRHs and HMs in 2040.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

I recently watched an interview with the Duke of Edinburgh in 1965 when he was asked if the monarchy has a place in modern Britain. He noted that it was 1965 and they were still there. The interview commended that in 1980 would there be a role for them. Well here we are in 2020 and they are still here. Yes Modern Britain is modernizing itself every second it seems, not certain where or if the Commonwealth will last, but for an institution that has appeared to be on its death for the whole century they have great longevity.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I recently watched an interview with the Duke of Edinburgh in 1965 when he was asked if the monarchy has a place in modern Britain. He noted that it was 1965 and they were still there. The interview commended that in 1980 would there be a role for them. Well here we are in 2020 and they are still here. Yes Modern Britain is modernizing itself every second it seems, not certain where or if the Commonwealth will last, but for an institution that has appeared to be on its death for the whole century they have great longevity.
They survive because they adapt to changing times, and continue to be relevant to the people of these isles.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I believe the Commonwealth will last. Most of its members are already republics anyway and the Commonwealth doesn't necessarily need the British monarch as a figurehead to survive.

Whereas the Commonwealth will probably last, a different question, however, is whether the current 15 Commonwealth realms will survive in their current form or not. Most observers expect Australia and maybe Barbados, Jamaica and New Zealand to become republics during Charles' or William's reign. And once Australia in particular becomes a republic, even Canada, the oldest and possibly most loyal realm, might flip.

But, again, the monarchy can still survive in the United Kingdom even if Charles or William is no longer King of Australia, Canada or New Zealand.
Old 06-29-2020, 11:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I believe the Commonwealth will last. Most of its members are already republics anyway and the Commonwealth doesn't necessarily need the British monarch as a figurehead to survive.

Whereas the Commonwealth will probably last, a different question, however, is whether the current 15 Commonwealth realms will survive in their current form or not. Most observers expect Australia and maybe Barbados, Jamaica and New Zealand to become republics during Charles' or William's reign. And once Australia in particular becomes a republic, even Canada, the oldest and possibly most loyal realm, might flip.

But, again, the monarchy can still survive in the United Kingdom even if Charles or William is no longer King of Australia, Canada or New Zealand.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...rtance-to-our/

The Globe and Mail published an article this past weekend that will appeal to legal geeks about how the Commonwealth countries are reviewing and adopting the primogeniture amendments in British law. Canada is indeed proudly aligned with the Commonwealth according to author John Fraser, himself director of the Institute for the Study of the Crown in Canada!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

All fair points. The monarchy in the UK is not dependent on Australia or another of the realms retaining the Queen as their monarch.