The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-04-2020, 05:32 AM
Heir Apparent

I think the British monarchy is going to last a long time. I don't think William is going to be the last monarch in the UK.
The British monarchy is one of the safest in Europe.
I think the monarchies will still last a few decades, then it will soon be seen ....

Old 02-04-2020, 05:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That will be the big problem - only two working royals in William's generation not that Harry and Meghan have quit.

Well, I've thought about that. But it assumes that Archie won't grow up and want to "rejoin" the royal family. It occurs to me the Queen might have thought of that too.

That might be why she didn't strip Harry and Meghan of their titles when they quit (not even the HRH). Even if they decide they don't want to go back Archie might.

Or any future children Harry might have.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

That still won't help the only two working royals in William's generation.

George's is easier as he has two siblings so could easily end up with 5 or 6 to do the work but with Harry quitting it puts a huge load on William and Catherine.

As for stripping titles - the Queen can remove HRH but not the peerage title - that can only be done by parliament and historically they have only done so in the case of treason.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:58 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

As for stripping titles - the Queen can remove HRH but not the peerage title - that can only be done by parliament and historically they have only done so in the case of treason.

I wondered about that. I read where the queen "choose" not to strip them of their Duke and Duchess title. But I also read where Parliament had to do it. It seems to me if the Queen could have stripped any of them of their titles it would have been Diana and Fergie back in the day.

So now that they're out "Master" Archie won't even get a Prince title? Or an HRH? Am I right?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I wondered about that. I read where the queen "choose" not to strip them of their Duke and Duchess title. But I also read where Parliament had to do it. It seems to me if the Queen could have stripped any of them of their titles it would have been Diana and Fergie back in the day.

So now that they're out "Master" Archie won't even get a Prince title? Or an HRH? Am I right?
They've not been stripped of anything, they are still HRH The Duke/Duchess of Sussex..they have agreed they won't use the HRH but they still have it. Unless something is changed (they work out a deal like Sophie/Edward and their kids etc) Archie will become HRH when Charles is the Monarch.

LaRae
Old 02-04-2020, 07:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Parliament would be needed to strip the peerage legally, but there was an unconfirmed claim that Queen Elizabeth considered requiring the couple to stop using the Duke and Duchess titles and use their Earl and Countess titles instead.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/q...-a4339031.html

Quote:
The Palace unofficially communicated at the time of Archie's birth that he would receive the HRH and Prince titles upon his grandfather's reign. No changes to those plans have been announced.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/m...-a4137941.html
Old 02-04-2020, 07:25 AM
Heir Apparent

However that was at the time of Archie's birth. Im sure they didn't envisage a situation where H and Meghan would give up royal duties. If they are not doing royal duties, even if they retain their HRH which they will problaby do, it may well be that they don't want Archie to have it and Charles will agree to that.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:57 AM
Nobility

It'd be nice to think that Archie would rejoin the Royal Family, but he's only a baby and he presumably wouldn't be able to make that choice until he was at least 18. It'd be very weird to opt into the royal way of life when you'd spent all your life living outside it.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am skeptical of the idea that Archie was ever regarded as a future working royal, even when his parents were full-time working members. The fact that the York princesses were not offered the option demonstrates that four working royals in a generation (the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex) was thought to meet the needs of the monarchy. Following that model, there were, by the time Archie was born, already five people who were expected to serve as working royals in his generation (Prince George and his future wife, Princess Charlotte, and Prince Louis and his future wife), which already represented an increase from the four working royals in his father's generation.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:15 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
They've not been stripped of anything, they are still HRH The Duke/Duchess of Sussex..they have agreed they won't use the HRH but they still have it. Unless something is changed (they work out a deal like Sophie/Edward and their kids etc) Archie will become HRH when Charles is the Monarch.

LaRae

OK here's another question. Harry and Meghan supposedly want to raise Archie as a "commoner". So are these titles automatic or can they refuse them?
Old 02-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have replied in the following thread.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2290597
Old 02-04-2020, 08:21 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

I have replied in the following thread.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2290597

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 06:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
OK here's another question. Harry and Meghan supposedly want to raise Archie as a "commoner". So are these titles automatic or can they refuse them?
Archie will be a commoner until Harry dies and he becomes a peer of the realm. Harry only stopped being a commoner on his wedding day when he was made The Duke of Sussex.

Archie will become HRH Prince Archie of Sussex when Charles becomes King but ... like Louise and James it is possible that Charles could announce that Archie won't be HRH using 'The Kings' Will'. He could also use Letters Patent to restrict HRH to deny HRH to Archie, and any sibling/s.

Archie will have one year, after Harry's death, to refuse the Sussex title and remain Mr Archie Mountbatten-Windsor. That won't end the title but he won't use it and will have the rights of a non-peer. When Archie then dies, if he has a son, that son will become Duke of Sussex and again will have one year to disclaim the title.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
I think the British monarchy is going to last a long time. I don't think William is going to be the last monarch in the UK.
The British monarchy is one of the safest in Europe.
I think the monarchies will still last a few decades, then it will soon be seen ....
I wouldn't assume that. I honestly do worry about it once HMQ is gone. I have my doubts we will see King George but time will tell. A lot can happen in 30+ years. Life proves that every day.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:13 PM
Courtier

I have my doubts we will see King George but time will tell. A lot can happen in 30+ years. Life proves that every day.

I certainly won't see King George VII, but that's only cause i will be pushing up daisies

I'd definetely want to see King Charles III and King William V (hope i have those numerals right
Old 02-04-2020, 07:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
I have my doubts we will see King George but time will tell. A lot can happen in 30+ years. Life proves that every day.

I certainly won't see King George VII, but that's only cause i will be pushing up daisies

I'd definetely want to see King Charles III and King William V (hope i have those numerals right
I think Prince Charles might go by King George VII - that his one of his middle names. And little Prince George will then be King George VIII.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

While in the past kings indeed often had different regal names than the names they were known by, I would like to think that is something of the past. So, just like Willem-Alexander didn't become king Willem IV, I would hope to see Charles as king Charles and not as King George (or anything else).

Interestingly, in the Dutch case both the current king and the princess of Orange go by their 'second name' while they have a double regal name: King Willem-Alexander is 'Alex' in daily life (of course only by those who personally know him; for all others he is 'de/zijne/uwe majesteit' (the/his/your majesty) - or 'de/hunne/uwe majesteiten' (the/their/your majesties) if both the king and queen are referenced) and future queen Catharina-Amalia is 'Amalia' in daily life.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
He may not be much loved but he'll be OK. he's a wealthy privileged man who has a role that means a lot ot him and he will go on doing his job. He went through bad times during the Diana years and I daresay tahtt he knows now that he may not be very popular but he has come through those bad times and survivied. He has a busy life, a wife that he's contented with.. and I think he's a reasonably happy man these days. Of course the monarchy may not last but nothing lasts forever and if it ended when William was king I don't tink it would break Will's heart..
Charles is sort of a man in amber. He lives like a past century royal. He travels with an artist to record everything via watercolor, and he thinks his whinging travel journals (Hong Kong 1997) are important enough to circulate among his friends.

I can't imagine Boris's response to Charles's current spider letters.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:39 PM
Courtier

I don’t understand all this talk about the monarchy ending after the Queen dies, considering it’s lasted 1000 years. I adore HM, but the monarchy existed before her and it will outlast her
Old 02-05-2020, 02:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post

Unless someone makes a fuss about the fact that technically he'd be William V of England, William IV of Scotland, and William III of Wales and Northern Ireland .

A lot can happen in 30 years, but the monarchy's a constant. Politicians come and go. Political ideas come and go. Wartime comes and, thankfully, passes. Religious reformation, civil war, parliamentary reform, social change, economic ups and downs ... they all come and go. The monarchy's always there. I personally find that comforting. Others may not, but I do!