The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes indeed. Always strikes me as weird that some republicans(who often consider themselves so modern& progressive) make such blatantly xenophobic comments.
I think it's just an argument they exploit, rather than one they care about themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
While the ‘foreign’ argument could be trotted out for previous monarchs and even for future King Charles, I think that thanks to Diana Spencer and Catherine Middleton this will no longer work. Everyone knows how British Diana and Catherine’s bloodlines are.
Even the staunchest republicans would be hard pressed to claim that future King George VII isn’t British enough, with Diana, Carole and Mike as 3/4 of his grandparents.
Yes I agree that in future, the 'foreign' claim will fade & republicans will drop it.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I think it's just an argument they exploit, rather than one they care about themselves.

I don't think such people are actually xenophobic but they don't challenge the language which is itself despicable.

I agree completely that they cynically use the argument for their own ends.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:21 PM
Nobility

The king recognized as the first King of England William the Conqueror was French. So technically right from the start the British monarchy came from somewhere else.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

That's why he was called the Conqueror..
Old 02-02-2020, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
The king recognized as the first King of England William the Conqueror was French. So technically right from the start the British monarchy came from somewhere else.
Though he most likely self-identified as Norman
Old 02-02-2020, 12:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William the Conqueror - also known as William the bastard [he was of illegitimate birth], wasn't the first King of England.

Athelstan had most of England under his control. He added Northumbria to his kingdom. Modern historians regard him as the first King of England and one of the greatest Anglo-Saxon kings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86thelstan
Old 02-02-2020, 01:05 PM
Courtier

William I wasn't the first King of England, as Wyevale said, although royal history books annoyingly often only start with him. William's wife was descended from the Anglo-Saxon kings, as was Henry I's wife.

And the Normans were originally from Scandinavia ... so it just goes on and on :-) .
Old 02-02-2020, 04:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
William I wasn't the first King of England, as Wyevale said, although royal history books annoyingly often only start with him. William's wife was descended from the Anglo-Saxon kings, as was Henry I's wife.

And the Normans were originally from Scandinavia ... so it just goes on and on :-) .
Yep, as I said above Norman = Norsemen or North-men. They were Vikings.

In the same vein, "Brittany" was named due to all of the British Celts who fled across the Channel to escape the Anglo-Saxons, and the Scots went across the Irish Sea from what is now Northern Ireland to assimilate the Picts. Ain't History Grand!!
Old 02-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I thought Egbert was the first King of England.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

He was but when people list the 'Kings of England' they start with the Normans. That is also when they start the numbering so Edward the Confessor isn't Edward I even though he was a King Edward before the later Edward I.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post

In the same vein, "Brittany" was named due to all of the British Celts who fled across the Channel to escape the Anglo-Saxons, and the Scots went across the Irish Sea from what is now Northern Ireland to assimilate the Picts. Ain't History Grand!!
And, indeed, France is named after the Germanic Franks . And Russia is named after the Rus, who were probably Vikings like the Normans were.

The Queen is descended from the Anglo-Saxon Kings of England, from the Royal Houses of Scotland, from the Normans, from Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, and from the pre-conquest Princes of Wales. Not too many other people can say that about themselves!
Old 02-02-2020, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post

And the Irish migrated from northern Spain
Old 02-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
To delve even further back into the mists of time thousands of years ago, its been researched and found that the inhabitants of Neolithic Skara Brae village in the Orkney Islands of Scotland are quite similar and even bear DNA markers similar to the Dogon tribe of Mali, West Africa. This precedes dynastic ancient Egypt.

https://www.ancient.eu/books/1620555735/
"All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life : he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." - Chief Seattle 1854
Old 02-02-2020, 05:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
And, indeed, France is named after the Germanic Franks . And Russia is named after the Rus, who were probably Vikings like the Normans were.

The Queen is descended from the Anglo-Saxon Kings of England, from the Royal Houses of Scotland, from the Normans, from Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, and from the pre-conquest Princes of Wales. Not too many other people can say that about themselves!
There's even conjecture (albeit disputed) that she's a descendent of the prophet Mohamed. Originally written about in Burke's Peerage 1986.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
There's even conjecture (albeit disputed) that she's a descendent of the prophet Mohamed. Originally written about in Burke's Peerage 1986.
There's also a theory that Queen Elizabeth is descended from the Tang emperors of China.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:43 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
I thought Egbert was the first King of England.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
After a point don't almost all of the Royal Houses of Europe go back to Queen Victoria and King Christian of Denmark? I think except maybe Belgium?

So..none of them are really pure anything (Welsh, English etc etc) by 'genetics'.
LaRae
I believe I read on another board that the most recent common ancestor of all of the current monarchs of Europe is George II of the UK - but my memory may be faulty...
Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 PM
Commoner

Seems to be several proud of their knowledge of the past, but have no opinion of the future? I picked this thread to try and learn what you all think about the future of the British monarchy....am I in the wrong place?
Old 02-03-2020, 02:42 AM
Majesty

Queen Elizabeth II is greatly venerated and admired. She has been on the throne for so long that nobody under the age of 70 can remember another monarch on the throne. Her heir is much less popular for various reasons, as is his wife. I do think there may well be some public questioning of the value of the British monarchy cost wise and in other ways when the Queen passes.

I feel there is an indifference towards the British monarchy in the general population that probably isn't truly reflected in surveys and polling and may increase with a less popular sovereign. That doesn't mean IMO that there will be an instant call among the public for a republic in the new reign but the attraction may fade over time in future years, especially among the young.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the outpouring of grief and then excitement of a coronation will keep the republicans at bay in the UK for a few years and then they will know they will get it all again within a couple of decades for William. William is a lot more popular than his father (that can change of course - just as it did for Charles who was extremely popular in the 70s and 80s).