The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2020, 01:07 AM
Royal Highness

Andrew spent longer in the Navy and no one would deny his privileged bubble.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:16 AM
Majesty

Andrew is of a different generation to Harry and was brought up, as a monarch's son, in an entirely different way. He ex wife once remarked that until he'd met her he'd never been in a shop for instance. There were stories from Andrew's boyhood on of pomposity and demanding special treatment. That has never been true of Harry.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:17 AM
Courtier

Regarding a slimmed-down monarchy for King Charles -- the Gloucesters are pretty much his age and are true Windsor team players. It would be helpful to have these particular veteran family members on the team.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Privileged bubble? Does that include Charles, the Queen, William and the rest of them, or just Harry? And actually, Harry spent ten years in the army, serving with enlisted men and including twice in a war zone in air services. Privileged?
Wait, I'm sorry, are you actually suggesting that Harry has not lived his life in a privileged bubble? Yes, he may have spent some time serving with the military in a less glamourous or privileged circumstance but do you honestly believe he isn't privileged and indulged? Every single member of the BRF, including those who are simply members of the family and not working royals like Zara and Peter have lived their entire lives in a privileged bubble. Yes, many of them have spent time outside of that bubble and have many connections outside of that bubble but it doesn't change the fact that they themselves have absolutely no idea what it's like to live entirely away from that bubble.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Regarding a slimmed-down monarchy for King Charles -- the Gloucesters are pretty much his age and are true Windsor team players. It would be helpful to have these particular veteran family members on the team.
I agree. I'm a big fan of the Gloucesters, probably my favorite BRF couple. Keeping them around as long as they're willing and able is a big win for the BRF. I also have to give kudos to the Duke of Kent even though he had his stroke almost 7 years ago, he still out there performing duties on behalf of the Crown. There are those in the family who could learn from their duty and self-sacrifice.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I agree. I'm a big fan of the Gloucesters, probably my favorite BRF couple. Keeping them around as long as they're willing and able is a big win for the BRF. I also have to give kudos to the Duke of Kent even though he had his stroke almost 7 years ago, he still out there performing duties on behalf of the Crown. There are those in the family who could learn from their duty and self-sacrifice.
The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, both stalwarts for HM, are a bit older and seem to be withdrawing slowly from the regular royal rota, sensible given their ages and health concerns. It amazes me they are still out there, and they have my respect and admiration.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:41 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I can't see Charles changing the status of these loyal cousins. All current working royals (except maybe Andrew??) have earned the right to keep their jobs.
The BRF needs to have as many members as needed to support the role of Monarch. They need a committed pack that will cope with unexpected events etc. and help maintain good general and mental health and will warmly pass on important family protocols. There is a royal (and Christian) culture that the people like maintained.
The Queen is possibly the most respected person in Britain.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
I can't see Charles changing the status of these loyal cousins. [....] .
Charles needs nothing to change. Age and law automatically do it. The current Dukes of Gloucester and of Kent are princes of the Realm. Their successors are no princes. When they succeed their (advanced aged) fathers, they will become "normal" Dukes like Fife, Sutherland, Westminster, etc. and stand low in the ducal order of seniority by their dukedom's dates of creation.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
The BRF needs to have as many members as needed to support the role of Monarch.
I'm not convinced that's true. In my post earlier I tried to list the essential work of the monarch & within that list of activities, there's very little done by anyone other than the Queen, Prince Charles or Prince William. After the Queen dies, that list of things can be covered by Prince Charles, supported by Prince William.

Everything else is extra & could be reduced in accordance with the number of working members available to undertake them.

I welcome any information & comments people have about those lists.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:42 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'm not convinced that's true. In my post earlier I tried to list the essential work of the monarch & within that list of activities, there's very little done by anyone other than the Queen, Prince Charles or Prince William. After the Queen dies, that list of things can be covered by Prince Charles, supported by Prince William.

Everything else is extra & could be reduced in accordance with the number of working members available to undertake them.

I welcome any information & comments people have about those lists.
That situation is roughly what can be seen in other monarchies.
These are the "fulltime" and paid royals:

Norway:
Harald V and Sonja
Haakon Magnus and Mette-Marit
Ingrid Alexandra (no role and no payment yet)

Sweden:
Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia
Victoria and Daniel

Denmark:
Margrethe II
Frederik and Mary

The Netherlands
Willem-Alexander and Máxima
Catharina-Amalia (will receive her own budget in 2022).
Beatrix

Belgium
Philippe and Mathilde
Elisabeth (no role and no payment yet)
Astrid and Lorenz (their role and budget is a never ending discussion)
Laurent and Claire (their role and budget is a never ending discussion)
Albert and Paola

Luxembourg
Henri and María Teresa
Guillaume and Stéphanie

Monaco
Albert and Charlène

Spain
Felipe and Letizia
Juan Carlos and Sofía
Old 01-19-2020, 06:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Privileged bubble?
Perhaps not quite the correct adjective ? 'Supportive Bubble' might be more accurate - the Cameraderie and tightly organised 'structure' of both the Royal family and the Military provided that for Sussex ALL his life, and now there will be no structure or discipline [beyond the next Therapy appointment or Yoga Session].

He will be 'all at Sea' in no time.. no matter how 'loving' his Wife...
Old 01-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Majesty

Well, that is your opinion. We'll see in the future. I believe Harry will find some worthwhile causes, like Invictus, and do charity work for others some of the time.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
I would be surprised if he lasted 15 months let alone 15 years. He has spent his entire life in a prevliged bubble and has NO idea how the real world works

Meghan can make a living for herself though. If Harry divorces, I agree he will be in a bit of a loss.

Your point makes me wonder that Harry, as the son of a future king, was in the (unusual-to-most-people) position of having his future life pretty much mapped out for him from birth and had little to do to follow through with that map (maybe only a few years in the military and the usual ceremonial duties afterwards). Then he met Meghan, fell in love (or believed he did) and, within less than two years of marriage, had to give up everything he has ever known and been in life, including quitting his own country and social network to move to a very different culture in North America (no rugby, no cricket, no football, no Army pals, etc.). He probably sees it as the right thing to do to be with his wife and son and make them happy, but it won't be easy on him. And, as you said, he might not be prepared for "real life".
Old 01-19-2020, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Privileged bubble? Does that include Charles, the Queen, William and the rest of them, or just Harry? And actually, Harry spent ten years in the army, serving with enlisted men and including twice in a war zone in air services. Privileged?
Yes, they are all extraordinarily privileged, and how they partially pay for that privileged position is by service to the Crown and the country, which Harry has now decided he no longer wants to do. So, no, he has no idea what life outside that bubble is really like. He may love it, he may hate it, the benefits of being outside it may well be worthwhile for him, but he absolutely has existed in a bubble of wealth and privilege, and he is now facing some adjustments because life as he knew it, with all its restrictions, absurdities and protections is going to forever change for him.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Yes, they are all extraordinarily privileged, and how they partially pay for that privileged position is by service to the Crown and the country, which Harry has now decided he no longer wants to do. So, no, he has no idea what life outside that bubble is really like. He may love it, he may hate it, the benefits of being outside it may well be worthwhile for him, but he absolutely has existed in a bubble of wealth and privilege, and he is now facing some adjustments because life as he knew it, with all its restrictions, absurdities and protections is going to forever change for him.
Very true. I think that Harry is a far better person than the Duke of Windsor.. who had nothing to do in his post King life and just moaned and idled his life away.. But al the same, Harry has walked out on the life he knew which was guided by the idea that you pay in service for the luxury and wealth and status. He must fee a bit bad about that... even fi it was to protect his wife...
Now, IMO if he is really serious about this being a positive move.. he will find something to do, some worthy cause and work for it quietly. Leave any money making to Meghan if they really need to find money so badly. I Don't think he would be very good at it and I dotn think he' would enjoy it.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, both stalwarts for HM, are a bit older and seem to be withdrawing slowly from the regular royal rota, sensible given their ages and health concerns. It amazes me they are still out there, and they have my respect and admiration.
I remember someone asking the Duke of Kent, probably after his stroke, if he ever thought about retiring. I don't remember his exact words but the gist of it was that as long as he was able he wouldn't retire because QEII wasn't retiring. He was raised to duty and service and as you say, is admirable. I suspect that once Charles takes over, he may retire then if his health hasn't made it necessary before that time.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that posts discussing recent press articles call for the Queen to abdicate have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ment-8545.html thread.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:17 AM

hiya, I don't know where this is the correct place to put this but do you think Charles Coronation is being planned, maybe even Williams. Do you think on a more morbid note they plan for funerals, such as Charles, Camila and the Queens.

If people like Andrew or Princess Anne or even the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael go that they would have some send off and it would be big breaking news

Just a thought on how the press will report on it.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:07 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post
hiya, I don't know where this is the correct place to put this but do you think Charles Coronation is being planned, maybe even Williams. Do you think on a more morbid note they plan for funerals, such as Charles, Camila and the Queens.
When we were at the Tower of London last summer, my husband struck up a conversation with a guide who told him that Charles's coronation had been planned and they already knew exactly which pieces from the Crown Jewels would be needed. (He also said Charles's regnal name was intended to be Albert, which I am a bit skeptical about, but time will tell.)

I've read that the funerals of the older royals are all planned and that the Queen Mother's was used as the starting point for Diana's, since they didn't have a plan for her.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy View Post

If people like Andrew or Princess Anne or even the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael go that they would have some send off and it would be big breaking news

Just a thought on how the press will report on it.
Hello - Yes Charles' coronation has been completely planned. I expect that a guideline of William's has also been drawn up.
As far as funerals go - every royal down to Princess Alexander's has been drawn up just like most people have in telling their family's their last wishes. A memo from the BBC was released a few years ago about what constitutes breaking news in regard of the royal family - the Death of the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Charles and Prince William will involve a break in regular programming to go to the news desk. The other royals will have a breaking news in the actual news. Except on 24 hr news channel where it will appear as a banner.
I will try to find the article - but I expect other might be faster - of how the BBC will change clothes and sets. They already have the backdrops and such done.