The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2020, 04:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

For the good order: using the royal position to make profit is a no-no in all monarchies. But everyone understands that doors will swing open for a Mr Mountbatten-Windsor or a Mrs De Bourbon, just because of their name, just because they know the top who-is-who in society. That is of all times and exists in all cultures.

A pure no-no is the use of the title, or royal monograms, or royal crests in commercial outings. We never saw Infanta Elena or her then husband (who holds a senior position in a luxury giant) making any commercial reference to Louis Vuitton, to Dior, etc.

The late Prince Johan Friso was founder-shareholder of WizzAir, the largest low-cost airliner for East European destinations (a fleet of 125 Airbus planes). This was so hidden in publicity that the Dutch were barely aware of the King's brother having business in an airline company.

I think that is the recipe for Harry and Meghan: do it not as HRH The Duke of Sussex, so not use your royal monogram to sell almond milk, to not appear in a L'Oréal advert for youthful and smooth skin. Then it will all come well.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:55 AM
Majesty

As to the initial question,yes,the Monarchy will survive,ofcourse it will!!
Aunt Lillibeth will see to that,even though it is a scandal by that upstart starmongerer to put HM in this position at 93,or any age for that matter...

Old 01-12-2020, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Indeed, could we please stay on topic and discuss the finer details of the recent events concerning the Duke and Duchess of Sussex in the correct thread?
Old 01-14-2020, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The recent events will be tough on William and his family in the long run with two Senior royals of his Generation gone. Harry's Part supporting a King William, plus a wife of Harry who would have taken on the royal bread and Butter job will be very hard to replace.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Taking everything into account do you think the institution of the monarchy is good or bad for Britain?

Good for Britain 52%
Bad for Britain 13%
Neither good nor bad 28%
Don’t know 7%

Deltapoll 9-11 Jan
Old 01-15-2020, 06:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Taking everything into account do you think the institution of the monarchy is good or bad for Britain?

Good for Britain 52%
Bad for Britain 13%
Neither good nor bad 28%
Don’t know 7%

Deltapoll 9-11 Jan
Good to see only 13% think it's bad for Britain.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM
Aristocracy

The monaarchy will survive this as it has weathered other storms.

I'd like to see some of William's cousins pick up some of the patronages to spread the load.

The Queen receives support from some of her cousins.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soula View Post
The monaarchy will survive this as it has weathered other storms.

I'd like to see some of William's cousins pick up some of the patronages to spread the load.

The Queen receives support from some of her cousins.
Yes the queen did but times have changed and ther'es not going to be funding for various cousins or whatever picking up the patronages. The trend ha been for most monarchies to reduce their working members to a very few.. just the monarch and consort, and the heir and consort... with possibly one younger sibling helping. That was the model the RF were adopting but Hary has now puled out of it...
Williams cousins are pretty much all engaged in careers of their own.. and probably would not want full tiem royal life..
Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Williams cousins are pretty much all engaged in careers of their own.. and probably would not want full tiem royal life..
I wonder whether the Prince of Wales intends to allow the future Prince Archie of Sussex a choice to become a working member of the Royal Family. In my view it would only be fair to treat him identically to the York princesses, but possibly Charles' planned model is to reduce the working membership to his own descendants, rather than reducing it to children of any sovereign (and wives).
Old 01-15-2020, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I wonder whether the Prince of Wales intends to allow the future Prince Archie of Sussex a choice to become a working member of the Royal Family. In my view it would only be fair to treat him identically to the York princesses, but possibly Charles' planned model is to reduce the working membership to his own descendants, rather than reducing it to children of any sovereign (and wives).
I don't think it was expected but its so far in the future, it would be more likely to be William who is likely to decide on that one. I think that Chalres expected and trained his 2 sons.. and they knew that although they had a bit of time to have other careers in the end they were due to do royal duties... but its open as to whether W's younger kids or Archie are likely to be working royals.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
As things stand now I suspect that the question is moot because the royal family isn't going to be seeing enough of Archie for the question to arise.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think it is pretty clear he won’t be Prince Archie of Sussex now or never actually after the Sussex debacle.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:05 AM

I think the Queen should ask the York sisters to step up. They need a long-term solution because most working royals are getting old.

Maybe royals should only carry the Royal Highness title if they're working royals. It feel more fair and it makes the royal family more flexible. Harry would lose the HRH title, but if he wants to become a working royal again and the Queen or King allows it, he will get the title back.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
I think the Queen should ask the York sisters to step up. They need a long-term solution because most working royals are getting old.

Maybe royals should only carry the Royal Highness title if they're working royals. It feel more fair and it makes the royal family more flexible. Harry would lose the HRH title, but if he wants to become a working royal again and the Queen or King allows it, he will get the title back.
There is no precedent really for taking away the HRH of someone who used the style from birth. The only exception I can think of was the Royal Titles Deprivation Act during World War I , but that was done by an act of Parliament and it had to follow a pre-determined procedure to ensure that the affected person was certified as an enemy combatant .

Divorced wives like Sarah and Diana and, significantly, Wallis Simpson were stripped of / denied the HRH, but Harry is in a different position as a prince of the Blood. I honestly don’t see the Queen going that way unless Harry voluntarily renounces his HRH ( does a Patricia of Connaught basically.).
Old 01-15-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
There is no precedent really for taking away the HRH of someone who used the style from birth. The only exception I can think of was the Royal Titles Deprivation Act during World War I , but that was done by an act of Parliament and it had to follow a pre-determined procedure to ensure that the affected person was certified as an enemy combatant .

Divorced wives like Sarah and Diana and, significantly, Wallis Simpson were stripped of / denied the HRH, but Harry is in a different position as a prince of the Blood. I honestly don’t see the Queen going that way unless Harry voluntarily renounces his HRH ( do a Patricia of Connaught basically.).
I can see it happen if it becomes a new rule for all British royals.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:00 AM
Heir Apparent

In the words of the [unlamented] ex Speaker of the House of Commons, Mr Bercow :

"Precedents are made to be broken "..
Old 01-15-2020, 09:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS View Post
I can see it happen if it becomes a new rule for all British royals.
What would the rule be though ? If Harry lost the HRH on the basis that he is not a full-time working royal, then Prince and Princess Michael of Kent and the York princesses for example would have to lose it too and , again, i don’t think the Queen would agree to that.

All rules that have been laid out since the Victorian era to define who is an HRH Prince/Princess in the UK have never been specified in terms of working status but rather in terms of proximity of blood to a sovereign of the United Kingdom with a difference, however, between patrilineal and matrilineal descent, which was consistent with the old rules of male preference primogeniture.

Having said that, I agree that, in the future, HRH should be linked to an expectation of doing at least significant part-time royal work, but that should be clear from birth. When the King of Sweden recently took away the HRH from Prince Carl Philip’s and Princess Madeleine’s children, he justified it exactly in those terms, i.e. the rationale was to clarify who would be expected to have an official role and publicly represent Sweden in the future and who would not.

But those are issues for Charles and-/or William to decide when they are kings. I don’t see a slimming down occurring now that late into the present Queen’s reign.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think there has been any suggestion from British royal correspondents or experts that Archie's future HRH Prince title would be impacted by the move to Canada. The United Kingdom has no legislative or constitutional requirement that princes must be brought up within the realm, and at any event Canada is one of the realms of the British Crown.

As far as his possible role as a working royal, he could theoretically attend engagements in Canada as his parents have, even if he never returns to the United Kingdom.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Given that H and Meg dotn even want him to use his courtesy title, I doubt if they will wnt him to have an HRH when Charles becomes king...
Old 01-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

While there has been no official statement on the matter, a number of correspondents reported being told last year, by royal sources, that King Charles would continue to apply the Letters Patent of 1917 during his reign.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/m...-a4137941.html
New Royal baby, Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor, will become a Prince with his parents’ blessing once his grandfather Prince Charles is King, the Evening Standard has learned.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have agreed that their son will also be given the title “His Royal Highness” which is his right as the grandson of a reigning monarch through the male line.

“The Sussexes have chosen not to give their children courtesy titles at this time, however, on the change of reign the George V convention would apply,” a senior source told the Evening Standard.