The Future of the British Monarchy 1: 2018 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Charles intended Anne and EDw and Sophie to continue with their work as long as they were able to do so.. and he expected the Cambs and the Sussexes to be full time royals and carrying the heaviest part of the burden as the older ones got older. Now he is losing 2 of the young ones...

I agree, Charles was never going to toss aside his sister and brother/sister-in-law after all the work they have done.

You omitted the his Queen - Camilla

Camiilla's not a young woman and her health isn't that great. She wil do her best but seh's not likely to be a powerhouse of work... like 2 younger couples could be...

I agree, Charles was never going to toss aside his sister and brother/sister-in-law after all the work they have done.

I really believe that he was going to keep Anne - but not Andrew and Edward and Sophie.

I think that he has got to keep Anne, Ed and Sophie. Obviously not Andrew.

I really believe that he was going to keep Anne - but not Andrew and Edward and Sophie.

It’s a huge shame that Edward and Sophie are 100% overlooked considering how much they do for the royal family. They epitomise what the royal family meets, and deserve to be “kept”.

I don't think Charles has a choice now all considered - but it was not part of the original plan. It is just ironic as Charles has been planning this for decades and now when it is really too late to in place this happens. It is amazing the difference a year makes.

Edward and Sophie know about this - they have also made arrangements. Edward was fully committed to doing the DOE items and small school and hospital openings. A higher profile mean greater public scrutiny. They have not been prepared for a greater role and might not agree to one if requested of them.
I think Andrew accepted it and was still pursuing a greater role this time last year.

I don't think Charles has a choice now all considered - but it was not part of the original plan. It is just ironic as Charles has been planning this for decades and now when it is really too late to in place this happens. It is amazing the difference a year makes.

Edward and Sophie know about this - they have also made arrangements. Edward was fully committed to doing the DOE items and small school and hospital openings. A higher profile mean greater public scrutiny. They have not been prepared for a greater role and might not agree to one if requested of them.
I think Andrew accepted it and was still pursuing a greater role this time last year.

Can you provide any evidence of Charles’ plan? That doesn’t exist and was made up by the media...

Greater public scrutiny from whom and for what exactly? Carrying on their job they’ve been doing for years..just doing it more often perhaps.

Can you provide any evidence of Charles’ plan? That doesn’t exist and was made up by the media...

On the other hand, is there any evidence that it was made up by the media? It is common knowledge that the Prince of Wales has not published an official plan for his reign, but that does not necessarily prove that no plan exists in private.

On the other hand, is there any evidence that it was made up by the media? It is common knowledge that the Prince of Wales has not published an official plan for his reign, but that does not necessarily prove that no plan exists in private.

All the evidence the media has ever presented us. This slimmed down monarchy idea came from the age old Andrew vs Charles stories which have circulated for years.

Whether a plan exists for Charles’ reign or not has no bearing on the fact that this slimmed down monarchy idea never originated from the palace.

All the evidence the media has ever presented us. This slimmed down monarchy idea came from the age old Andrew vs Charles stories which have circulated for years.

Whether a plan exists for Charles’ reign or not has no bearing on the fact that this slimmed down monarchy idea never originated from the palace.

But it is proven to be a fact? Even if there is no evidence that it originated from the palace, unless there is evidence to the contrary, it would mean simply that there is no proof of where it originated.

But it is proven to be a fact? Even if there is no evidence that it originated from the palace, unless there is evidence to the contrary, it would mean simply that there is no proof of where it originated.

What would you like as evidence to show the press made up the story? Other than articles showing that the press were the ones who initiated the claims?

Surely the fact the story originated with the press, and not from the royal household, rather proves who started it...

If Charles were not intending to slim down the monarchy, he and the queen would have taken on other youngr royals by now..

If Charles were not intending to slim down the monarchy, he and the queen would have taken on other youngr royals by now..

By now? According to the media Charles slimmed down RF was Himself, Camilla, William, Catherine, Henry and Meghan. Seeing as Henry and Meghan’s official departure from senior royal life came only a two weeks ago, and confirmation came today. How has Charles had time to take on younger royals?

I think they all knew the number of working members would naturally slim down by normal attrition. It is only because so many members of the family have aged so well that we have this bounty of workers currently.

I think Beatrice & Eugenie’s possible role was affected by their parents’ bad behavior.

What would you like as evidence to show the press made up the story? Other than articles showing that the press were the ones who initiated the claims?

If there are articles showing it, that would certainly qualify as evidence.

In any event, I think the original posters discussing the alleged slimming down are aware that there is no concrete proof, but they have assessed it as believable based on their own analysis of the facts.

If there are articles showing it, that would certainly qualify as evidence.

In any event, I think the original posters discussing the alleged slimming down are aware that there is no concrete proof, but they have assessed it as believable based on their own analysis of the facts.

And those facts would be? There is no concrete proof (which would come from an official statement released by Clarence House) to suggest Charles has any plans to slim down the monarchy. There’s lots of proof in several decades of newspapers, referring to royal sources and friends of the royals, and insiders. If people believe those as fact, maybe we didn’t walk on the moon after all.

:previous: I believe there have been discussions on this forum where members have explained their reasons for believing the monarchy will or will not be slimmed down.

On a different note, I wonder if the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge are perhaps pondering or even expecting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to resume their status as working royals in the future, even if only very far into the future. In view of the life expectancies of British royalty, it is likely that the Sussexes will be alive in 50 years, but it seems unlikely that they will remain active in commercial ventures at that age.

:previous: I believe there have been discussions on this forum where members have explained their reasons for believing the monarchy will or will not be slimmed down.

On a different note, I wonder if the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge are perhaps pondering or even expecting the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to resume their status as working royals in the future, even if only very far into the future. In view of the life expectancies of British royalty, it is likely that the Sussexes will be alive in 50 years, but it seems unlikely that they will remain active in commercial ventures at that age.

I don't think they ever expect Meghan back. A divorced Harry might be a different story if his father and grandmother think he's bitten off more than he can chew and they take pity on him.

IMO, if he ever does come back it will be within the next 15 years. Once we get to William's reign or the tail end of Charles' that window will be closed. I don't think William will be as pitying or indulgent as Charles or the Queen. And by that time George and Charlotte will be adults so the G&C option will be preferable to BRF anyway.

I don't think they ever expect Meghan back. A divorced Harry might be a different story if his father and grandmother think he's bitten off more than he can chew and they take pity on him.

IMO, if he ever does come back it will be within the next 15 years. Once we get to William's reign or the tail end of Charles' that window will be closed. I don't think William will be as pitying or indulgent as Charles or the Queen. And by that time George and Charlotte will be adults so the G&C option will be preferable to BRF anyway.

I would be surprised if he lasted 15 months let alone 15 years. He has spent his entire life in a prevliged bubble and has NO idea how the real world works

Privileged bubble? Does that include Charles, the Queen, William and the rest of them, or just Harry? And actually, Harry spent ten years in the army, serving with enlisted men and including twice in a war zone in air services. Privileged?

Andrew spent longer in the Navy and no one would deny his privileged bubble.

Andrew is of a different generation to Harry and was brought up, as a monarch's son, in an entirely different way. He ex wife once remarked that until he'd met her he'd never been in a shop for instance. There were stories from Andrew's boyhood on of pomposity and demanding special treatment. That has never been true of Harry.

Regarding a slimmed-down monarchy for King Charles -- the Gloucesters are pretty much his age and are true Windsor team players. It would be helpful to have these particular veteran family members on the team.

Privileged bubble? Does that include Charles, the Queen, William and the rest of them, or just Harry? And actually, Harry spent ten years in the army, serving with enlisted men and including twice in a war zone in air services. Privileged?

Wait, I'm sorry, are you actually suggesting that Harry has not lived his life in a privileged bubble? Yes, he may have spent some time serving with the military in a less glamourous or privileged circumstance but do you honestly believe he isn't privileged and indulged? Every single member of the BRF, including those who are simply members of the family and not working royals like Zara and Peter have lived their entire lives in a privileged bubble. Yes, many of them have spent time outside of that bubble and have many connections outside of that bubble but it doesn't change the fact that they themselves have absolutely no idea what it's like to live entirely away from that bubble.

Regarding a slimmed-down monarchy for King Charles -- the Gloucesters are pretty much his age and are true Windsor team players. It would be helpful to have these particular veteran family members on the team.

I agree. I'm a big fan of the Gloucesters, probably my favorite BRF couple. Keeping them around as long as they're willing and able is a big win for the BRF. I also have to give kudos to the Duke of Kent even though he had his stroke almost 7 years ago, he still out there performing duties on behalf of the Crown. There are those in the family who could learn from their duty and self-sacrifice.

I agree. I'm a big fan of the Gloucesters, probably my favorite BRF couple. Keeping them around as long as they're willing and able is a big win for the BRF. I also have to give kudos to the Duke of Kent even though he had his stroke almost 7 years ago, he still out there performing duties on behalf of the Crown. There are those in the family who could learn from their duty and self-sacrifice.

The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, both stalwarts for HM, are a bit older and seem to be withdrawing slowly from the regular royal rota, sensible given their ages and health concerns. It amazes me they are still out there, and they have my respect and admiration.

I can't see Charles changing the status of these loyal cousins. All current working royals (except maybe Andrew??) have earned the right to keep their jobs.
The BRF needs to have as many members as needed to support the role of Monarch. They need a committed pack that will cope with unexpected events etc. and help maintain good general and mental health and will warmly pass on important family protocols. There is a royal (and Christian) culture that the people like maintained.
The Queen is possibly the most respected person in Britain.

Last edited:
I can't see Charles changing the status of these loyal cousins. [....] .

Charles needs nothing to change. Age and law automatically do it. The current Dukes of Gloucester and of Kent are princes of the Realm. Their successors are no princes. When they succeed their (advanced aged) fathers, they will become "normal" Dukes like Fife, Sutherland, Westminster, etc. and stand low in the ducal order of seniority by their dukedom's dates of creation.

The BRF needs to have as many members as needed to support the role of Monarch.

I'm not convinced that's true. In my post earlier I tried to list the essential work of the monarch & within that list of activities, there's very little done by anyone other than the Queen, Prince Charles or Prince William. After the Queen dies, that list of things can be covered by Prince Charles, supported by Prince William.

Everything else is extra & could be reduced in accordance with the number of working members available to undertake them.

I welcome any information & comments people have about those lists.

I'm not convinced that's true. In my post earlier I tried to list the essential work of the monarch & within that list of activities, there's very little done by anyone other than the Queen, Prince Charles or Prince William. After the Queen dies, that list of things can be covered by Prince Charles, supported by Prince William.

Everything else is extra & could be reduced in accordance with the number of working members available to undertake them.

I welcome any information & comments people have about those lists.

That situation is roughly what can be seen in other monarchies.
These are the "fulltime" and paid royals:

Norway:
Harald V and Sonja
Haakon Magnus and Mette-Marit
Ingrid Alexandra (no role and no payment yet)

Sweden:
Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia
Victoria and Daniel

Denmark:
Margrethe II
Frederik and Mary

The Netherlands
Willem-Alexander and Máxima
Catharina-Amalia (will receive her own budget in 2022).
Beatrix

Belgium
Philippe and Mathilde
Elisabeth (no role and no payment yet)
Astrid and Lorenz (their role and budget is a never ending discussion)
Laurent and Claire (their role and budget is a never ending discussion)
Albert and Paola

Luxembourg
Henri and María Teresa
Guillaume and Stéphanie

Monaco
Albert and Charlène

Spain
Felipe and Letizia
Juan Carlos and Sofía

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.