The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Sorry...? The Monarch is to be supported by his/ her family and the aristocracy (they even swear it at the coronation!) as a mark of loyalty, respect and "compensation" for the heavy burden of her office - and not a young celebrity couple!
Who does not see the difference between these two, has no idea of the concept of monarchy at all!
Sorry...did you not read the rest of the earlier posts I was responding to? Perhaps you should before making such a condescending response to me. Thanks.

And that young celebrity couple is her family whom she loves.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

An interesting article in The Times:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...firm-x5z2mjhhg

Old 11-18-2019, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

I do think these are trying times for the image of the monarchy. 2020 will be interesting because I feel they will focus more than ever on Charles and his line.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't believe the Queen is "losing her grip" on the monarchy or that anything really is that much different than how the BRF always has been. Its just that the "mystique" is gone and the royal family is being seen more and more for who they really are as human beings.

With everyone and their poodle carrying a smart phone with a camera, the popularity of social media and a media that has a nose like a hunting dog to "sniff" out any kind of story, the public is being inundated more than ever with information we want to know about the royal family (and things also that we shouldn't know).

If the monarchy can survive all of the crises such as Queen consort losing their head, a King that abdicated over the love of a woman and a public that relentlessly demanded the Queen show herself at a time of great loss in the family, it'll survive Andrew's foibles and bad decisions.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-18-2019, 05:21 PM
Nobility

The present model of having a royal family support the monarch may be on the way out. It is after all a relatively recent phenomena. It might be to the good if relatives of the monarch can lead the lives they want & not be bound by a duty they didn't ask for. In the end they might be happier & more fulfilled.

The crown as an institution will endure because the alternative is a republic & there is no real appetite for that. Not in this realm at least, I can't speculate about the others.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:02 PM
Courtier

All the fussing here over Harry and Meghan is just insane to me. Itís exactly the kind of in-house squabbling that every generation of this family has gone through and weathered. In the scheme of things it is truly NOTHING.

But Andrew is potentially a much bigger blow. Forget about whether or not he had sex with the woman who accuses him of that. To go on a TV interview and be the poster child for out-of-touch, donít-even-notice-the-little-people-because-theyíre-probably-just-staff stereotypes of royals at their least necessary is incredibly damaging. A major aspect of the ďbrandĒ of modern royalty is that they use their prominence to shine light on the needs of people less fortunate than them. Their work is largely charity and taking the role of personifying their nationís care for the Everyman. His own daughters are patrons of organizations that combat sex trafficking/slavery, and yet he canít be bothered to express even a basic blanket statement of compassion or concern for the girls caught in Epsteinís web? His selfish, blasť attitude feeds the concern many have that the royals donít really care and that itís really all about living that privileged, extravagant life. That interview was very much a ďlet them eat cakeĒ kind of moment.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
The present model of having a royal family support the monarch may be on the way out. It is after all a relatively recent phenomena. It might be to the good if relatives of the monarch can lead the lives they want & not be bound by a duty they didn't ask for. In the end they might be happier & more fulfilled.

The crown as an institution will endure because the alternative is a republic & there is no real appetite for that. Not in this realm at least, I can't speculate about the others.

A smaller official Royal Family seems the way forward. The current apparatus is based on the needs of HM in the 1950's and 1960's, before reliable television from so many parts of the world, before improved airline transport and before the internet. A Royal tour by a cousin of the Queen could take months back then. Nowadays, Charles can be in Cardiff, Oslo, Cairo and Bucharest inside of a week and still spend his Sunday in Highgrove.

The Queen is right in saying that she "has to be seen". Charles will have to be seen as well when he is Monarch.

The other official royals might not need the full rig of recce visits, police outriders, etc. that goes on now. It's very expensive.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
But who holds the purse strings?
Yes the RF can work; but would they have the jobs they have if not for their royal status?
In the end it all comes down to money.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:06 AM
Serene Highness

The main focus under the next reign will be Charles, Camilla, William, Catherine, Harry and Meghan.

But i think Anne, Edward and Sophie will continue with what they are already doing for as long as they want to or have the health. Can anyone see the hardest working Princess Anne going from high speed to zero over a night ? I can’t. And Edward is taking over The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award.

Andrew’s days as a star is over.

Beatrice and Eugenie will continue to do what they do now and help their uncle when they are needed but they will never be asked to become full time working royals unless a terrible catastrohe happens in Charles’ family.

The Gloucester and Kent branches are soon over anyway.
The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester may continue for awhile but their children are 100 % private citizens and will remain so.

The Duke and Duchess of Kent and Princess Alexandra will likely retire completely soon.
Prince and Princess Michael of Kent have never been a part of the firm and only represents when they are asked to (basically when no one else have time to go).
Their children are all private citizens and will remain so.

The monarchy will undoubtly consist of much fewer working members in the future but i think the transition will happen naturally.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
Can anyone see the hardest working Princess Anne going from high speed to zero over a night ? I canít. .
Actually I think if Anne was given the opportunity she would like to make a real go at horse breading , managing Team GP Horse jumping - there is probably hundreds of things Anne would rather be doing.

The problem is they feel duty bound to do this role for the Queen and Country and therefore she (ie - the Queen , not Charles or editor of the Telegraph) who has to right to ask/tell Andrew to stop. She also can only tell him to stop doing things as a representative of the crown , he can continue doing them as an individual.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
But who holds the purse strings?
Yes the RF can work; but would they have the jobs they have if not for their royal status?
Possibly, maybe probably not in some cases. On the other hand there are plenty of jobs that can only be done by those who are fully qualified/capable. There may be members of the family who might have wanted to be a vet or an academic or a pianist or a commercial pilot or a dentist or an opera singer or whatever. Plenty of occupations can only be entered via merit/ability.

Obviously being related to the monarch will confer some advantages but you still need something about you to succeed. Lord Snowden almost certainly got his start in life because he was the Queen's nephew but his reputation would not have grown as a furniture maker if he had not also had genuine talent. Zara Tindell is another example.

Plenty of people in plenty of countries get a leg up from their famous families. It might not be fair but it is what it is.

I think it's unfair to expect someone to be denied what they want to pursue in life just because they happen to be born into the royal family, no matter how close to the throne.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
In the near future royals of the Queen’s generation will no longer be with us. Anne and Edward may not want or be able to continue the work they currently do as they get older and their children, as well as Eugenie and Beatrice will not be taking their parents’ places - they may be associated with one or two organizations that especially interest them but that’s it.

So over, let’s say, the next ten years the working royal family will be made up of Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry and Meghan. And it will be at least twenty years from now before William’s children can start taking on a significant amount of royal work. So I think there are a ton of patronages that will be “orphaned” quite soon. I don’t see anything wrong with that.. the only reason so many organizations were able to get royal patronage was the Queen and DoE having four children, a situation that hasn’t been repeated in subsequent generations.
Don't forget about the age gap between Charles and Anne on the one hand and (Andrew and) Edward on the other. In 10 years time Edward is only 65 years old. I do expect him and Sophie to still be quite active. Especially as his 15+ year older brother would be 81 by that time and is expected to be fulfilling his duties. In addition, I don't see Anne retiring early unless she is forced to. She might slow down a bit (and rightly so) but I see no indication that she would be completely out of royal duties.

Nonetheless, I do agree that not all royal patronages will be re-awarded to other members of the family.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think the Prince Andrew firestorm will now cause the royal family to make some very necessary changes much more sooner than we think.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-30-2019, 02:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I don't see the BRF and the "Firm" drastically changing anything over one member's bad decisions. They just put the problem out to pasture and will most likely continue as they've always done without Andrew around.

Whatever does happen or change won't be because of Andrew but because of the slow transition between monarchs that has been going on for a while here. The "keep calm and carry on" motto would be the way I think they'd all look at things.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-30-2019, 03:43 AM
Nobility

Quote:

There is an interesting documentary called ' The queens lost family ' which covers how and why the BRF started to do public events to the extent they now do. It starts with George V.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the Prince Andrew firestorm will now cause the royal family to make some very necessary changes much more sooner than we think.
What changes are you alluding to?
Old 11-30-2019, 06:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Possibly, maybe probably not in some cases. On the other hand there are plenty of jobs that can only be done by those who are fully qualified/capable. There may be members of the family who might have wanted to be a vet or an academic or a pianist or a commercial pilot or a dentist or an opera singer or whatever. Plenty of occupations can only be entered via merit/ability.

Traditionally, when members of the RF had a non-royal full-time job, it was service in the military as exemplified in the past generations by the current Duke of Kent or the Duke of York. Prince Richard, however, is a trained architect who wanted to practice full-time, but I believe had to change his plans once he became the heir to the dukedom of Gloucester.

If you think about it, it is rather silly by modern standards that someone who is currently 27th (and falling) in the line of succession should be a full-time working royal and could not have a private career of his own when, in other monarchies in the continent, even siblings of the King or Queen have careers while doing occasional royal duty in parallel or not having any official role at all. I am thinking for example of Prince Constantijn or Infanta Elena , who are respectively fourth and third in line !

I accept that the British Royal Family has a much higher profile and a heavier workload than most continental RFs, including those from bigger countries like Spain, so it is not realistic that someone like Prince Harry or Prince George's siblings in the future could ever not be full-time royals, but, for more distant members of the family, I believe having their own careers outside royal duty should be natural and I think it will become increasingly common as the RF is slimmed down as allegedly planned for the future.
Old 11-30-2019, 09:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
What changes are you alluding to?
Iím thinking there could be some adjustments made. Perhaps a slimming down of the family. I donít know, but some changes could occur.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-30-2019, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Iím thinking there could be some adjustments made. Perhaps a slimming down of the family. I donít know, but some changes could occur.
Really? why should hard working Royals like Anne, Edward & Sophie, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester be thrown out because of Andrew?
Old 11-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Really? why should hard working Royals like Anne, Edward & Sophie, the Dukes of Kent and Gloucester be thrown out because of Andrew?
I didnít say they would be thrown out. I just happen to believe Charles and his family will become the main focus of the royal family sooner than we think.

A.W. TOZER