The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 03-13-2023, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

He's directly descended from Anglo-Saxon kings via Matilda, the wife of Henry I, and another Matilda, the wife of William the Conqueror.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The King is no direct descendant, from father or mother, to Saxon Kings. With some zig-zagging and hop-hopping descendance can be traced. The late Duke of Edinburgh was a direct descendant of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs and the Battenbergs. The late Queen was a direct descendant of the Sachsen-Coburgs and the Bowes-Lyons.
How would you describe a direct descendant?

To me, I'm a direct descendant of each parent, grandparent, great-grandparent etc and if you go back 30 generations/1000 years then my direct ancestors number more than a billion! There aren't a billion of course due to my ancestors marrying within themselves and the figure would actually be much lower. There's quite a bit of research done on how many direct ancestors we all have, including the hypothesis that all British heritage people are descended from Edward III and all European heritage people are descended from Charlemagne. Therefore, on that basis, isn't Charles a direct descendant of the Saxon kings (as I would be too)?
Old 03-13-2023, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
The King is no direct descendant, from father or mother, to Saxon Kings. With some zig-zagging and hop-hopping descendance can be traced. The late Duke of Edinburgh was a direct descendant of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburgs and the Battenbergs. The late Queen was a direct descendant of the Sachsen-Coburgs and the Bowes-Lyons.
No zig zaging needed.

The wife of Henry I of England was Matilda of Scotland. Her mother Margaret was a princess of the House of Wessex. Margaret’s grandfather Edmund was King of the English between 990 & 1016.

Edmund was a descendent in the fifth generation from Alfred The Great, King of the West Saxons (Wessex) & then King of the Anglo-Saxons. So The King is most definitely a direct descendent of those whose mortal remains are contained in the Winchester chests.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Alfred The Great's daughter Ælfthryth married Baldwin II, Count of Flanders and Charles III is a direct descendant of that marriage via:

Ælfthryth and Baldwin II
Arnulf I, Count of Flanders
Baldwin III, Count of Flanders
Arnulf II, Count of Flanders
Baldwin IV, Count of Flanders
Baldwin V, Count of Flanders
Matilda Queen of England (married William the Conqueror or William I)
Henry I
Matilda
Henry II
John
Henry III
Edward I
Edward II
Edward III
John of Gaunt
John Beaufort 1st Earl of Somerset
John Beaufort Duke of Somerset
Lady Margaret Beaufort
Henry VII
Margaret Queen of Scots
James V
Mary Queen of Scots
James VI and I
Elizabeth Queen of Bohemia
Electress Sophia of Hanover
George I
George II
Frederick Prince of Wales
George III
Edward Duke of Kent
Victoria
Edward VII
George V
George VI
Elizabeth II
Charles III

That means that Charles 37th great grandfather is Alfred the Great.

I am sure there are other lines of descent which may be shorter or longer but Charles is a direct descendant from the Anglo-Saxon Kings down to Alfred the Great.

I have found an even closer line - direct descendant from Edmund Ironside the second last King of the House of Wessex via his granddaughter St Margaret. Her father was Edward the Exile who had he lived would have been the heir to Edward The Confessor. St Margaret's daughter Edith married Henry I and from their daughter Matilda as shown above Charles does descend.

Edmund Ironside
Edward the Exile
St Margaret, Queen of Scots
Matilda - Queen of England as wife of Henry I (direct descent is listed above)

This makes Charles a 32 great-grandchild of the second last King of England from the House of Wessex another Anglo-Saxon King.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

There will be various lines of descent but what's key about Henry i's marriage was that Matilda was a link to the old Saxon kings. She was a great great niece of the last Anglo Saxon (House of Wessex) king, Edward the Confessor. It was a political match linking the Norman & Wessex lines.

And it is of course on King or St Edward's Chair (ie the Confessor) that The King will be crowned.

It's a perfect example of how the roots of monarchy run very deep on this island. At least back to the semi mythical Cerdic of Wessex in the 6th century AD. To the very beginnings of we would understand as Angleland or as it became England.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:11 AM
Commoner

Some people seem to use direct decendant to mean direct male-line descendant, and that's rather outdated thinking. However there are cases where the female in line was considered the heir, such as with Elizabeth II, and cases where the line is more passing through the woman as such with Lady Margaret Beaufort. Henry VII didn't use just his line as justification for the throne. So that might be where some opinions differ if its still the same direct line.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:22 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katariina View Post
Some people seem to use direct decendant to mean direct male-line descendant, and that's rather outdated thinking. However there are cases where the female in line was considered the heir, such as with Elizabeth II, and cases where the line is more passing through the woman as such with Lady Margaret Beaufort. Henry VII didn't use just his line as justification for the throne. So that might be where some opinions differ if its still the same direct line.
George I was also selected as Queen Anne's successor via the rights of his late mother Sophia, Electress of Hanover who was also the daughter of a Stuart Princess.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:28 AM
Majesty

According to the latest YouGov poll, the Royal Family's popularity has bounced back (slightly) after the low point following the release of Spare.

Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Edward, Harry and Meghan had an increase in their favorability ratings as did also the "institution of the monarchy". Overall it was a good poll for the royals.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
According to the latest YouGov poll, the Royal Family's popularity has bounced back (slightly) after the low point following the release of Spare.

Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Edward, Harry and Meghan had an increase in their favorability ratings as did also the "institution of the monarchy". Overall it was a good poll for the royals.

Thank you for sharing Mbruno. I do wonder why Sophie isn't mentioned though. Was she not included in the polling? Also, I don't understand why You Gov UK includes the Sussexes and Duke of York in their polls as none are performing royal duties.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:35 AM
Imperial Majesty

I dont take them all that seriously, even Yougov is not really all that good since it does not compare like with like
Old 03-23-2023, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

This Poll is good news for
The Prince of Wales
The Princess of Wales
The Princess Royal

No real surprises for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex but rather odd that Sophie was not polled?
Old 03-23-2023, 10:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

The whim of the day. Says nothing about the whim of next week, next month or even next year...

Tags
camilla parker bowles, camilla parker-bowles, camilla's family