The Duke and Duchess of Kent News and Events 1: October 2003- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Palace has shared a nice little video of the Duke of Kent on his 85th birthday today, getting a special birthday serenade:

** video **

What a nice tribute by the Scots Guards on the Duke's 85th birthday :previous:

The Duke of Kent as President of the Royals National Lifeboat Institution has sent a New Year‘s message:

** Message **

The Duke of Kent, who is the patron of Blood Cancer UK had a video link meeting with executives about the Coronavirus Monitoring Project on 22nd April. He later met virtually with other staffs, volunteer and participants of Blood Cancer UK.

22 April 2021
St. James's Palace
The Duke of Kent, Patron, Blood Cancer UK, this morning held a Meeting with executives regarding the Coronavirus Monitoring Project, via video link.

His Royal Highness, Patron, afterwards held a Meeting for Blood Cancer UK via video link.
https://www.royal.uk/court-circular...te]=12/04/2020&date[max][date]=24/04/2021&id=

The Duke of Kent virtually opened the exhibition, 100 years of the Polish Embassy at 47 Portland Place in marking the start of Polish Heritage Days on 1st May. The Ambassador for the Republic of Poland (His Excellency Professor Arkady Rzegocki) was present

1 May 2021
St. James's Palace
The Duke of Kent this morning opened the exhibition, "100 years of the Polish Embassy at 47 Portland Place", via video link to mark the start of Polish Heritage Days at which the Ambassador for the Republic of Poland (His Excellency Professor Arkady Rzegocki) was present.

https://www.royal.uk/court-circular...te]=26/04/2020&date[max][date]=06/05/2021&id=

I have just watched a really interesting programme about the Duchess of Kent .
I would highly recommend.
There are times when posters are guilty of looking at the older generations of royals and writing them off as boring or commenting that nobody is interested.
Worth a watch

I recorded it - it clashed with Casualty! - but am hoping to watch it tomorrow.

There are times when posters are guilty of looking at the older generations of royals and writing them off as boring or commenting that nobody is interested.
Worth a watch

Maybe you can share which program you watched especially since you are recommending others to watch it as well...

Maybe you can share which program you watched especially since you are recommending others to watch it as well...

Apologies didn't intend to miss out the title.

Katharine :The Compassionate Duchess.

I too have recorded the documentary on Katherine. At first I suspected that they had misspelt the name and that it was just another one on Catherine but was really pleased when I found out it was on Katherine. I think many people have forgotten her as she is no rarely seen or heard of these days but she is still with us of course.

For people wondering how I can have recorded it when I live in Australia - I use transponder TV to get access to terrestrial UK TV. It costs but I think it is worth it.

With the Duke and Duchess's 60th wedding anniversary only a month away I am pleased this is happening. Their 60th wedding anniversary is the 8th June - it would have been 2 days before Philip's 100th birthday and 4 days before Trooping. I do hope there is some acknowledgement of their anniversary.

Last edited:
Worth a watch

Here it is

I think it is actually called the Secret life of a Duchess, the sub text in my magazine was Compassionate Duchess, it is still very interesting.

Here it is

Thank you eya for sharing the Youtube to the documentary, Katharine Kent: The Secret Life of a Duchess! :flowers:

It was lovely to learn more about The Duchess of Kent's passion for music, especially teaching children and charity work. I must admit I do not know much about her prior to watching the interview. I do enjoy watching some of her TV and newspaper interview opening up her mental health and projects/causes.

It was lovely to learn more about The Duchess of Kent's passion for music, especially teaching children and charity work. I must admit I do not know much about her prior to watching the interview. I do enjoy watching some of her TV and newspaper interview opening up her mental health and projects/causes.

Wonderful lady and I miss her warm presence at Wimbledon and other events.

In the biography of the Duchess of Kent on YouTube it was mentioned that Princess Marina was not very keen on the marriage and held up the marriage of her son for a few years. This biography stated that she forbade the Duke of Kent to leave Sandringham on Christmas to go and see Katherine, however he went ahead and did it anyway.

Does anyone know the exact reasons for this and what kind of relationship did Marina have with Katherine?

In the biography of the Duchess of Kent on YouTube it was mentioned that Princess Marina was not very keen on the marriage and held up the marriage of her son for a few years. This biography stated that she forbade the Duke of Kent to leave Sandringham on Christmas to go and see Katherine, however he went ahead and did it anyway.

Does anyone know the exact reasons for this and what kind of relationship did Marina have with Katherine?
It was nothing personal against Katharine, but Marina wanted her children to marry other royals. Once they were married she got on very well with her daughter-in-law.

But all her children in-law are of noble origin, aren't they?

But all her children in-law are of noble origin, aren't they?

Noble, but not royal. I suspect Marina was aiming higher for her children.

Katherine Worseley isn't noble.. from a well to do, gentry family, I presume but not noble. And Angus Ogilvy was only a younger son. I understand that Marina hoped her children would marry other royals even royals who had lost thier throne and didn't think that English gentry or nobiity were good enough...

According to the quite peculiar British class system Katharine isn't a noble, but as a member of the gentry and as the daughter of a Worsley baronet she'd be considered an equal by any continental noble.
Princess Marina wanted her daughter to marry Crown Prince Harald of Norway and had her eyes set on one of the daughters of the King of Denmark and of the Queen of the Netherlands for her oldest son.

Last edited:

It is not so much that she was aiming higher IMHO, but rather the culture she grew up in. Most royal houses in the continent at the time did not allow non-morganatic unequal marriages.

According to the quite peculiar British class system Katharine isn't a noble, but as a member of the gentry and as the daughter of a Worsley baronet she'd be considered an equal by any continental noble.
Princess Marina wanted her daughter to marry Crown Prince Harald of Norway and had her eyes set on one of the daughters of the King of Denmark and of the Queen of the Netherlands for her oldest son.

There's nothing wrong with being country gentry, just it means you are not as rich as the average duke and dont have a title...
And I think Marina was aiming at the moon. The Kents weren't that well off and George was a younger son.. plus, I think that her children wnated to marry people they cared for, and not be pushed into an alliance with some royal.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom