The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join The Royal Forums Today

Unread 06-24-2021, 10:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

I too would love to see them. I was supposed to visit the UK last year but covid and then I was supposed to be there now but again covid so next year will my third attempt but there is no guarantee that Australia's external borders will be open in time.

Unread 06-24-2021, 10:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
Those sound like interesting exhibits. I wish I could see them. I loved visiting the British Museum when I went to London. Wish I’d had more time there.
I swore I would go back and live for a week in the British Museum.

The exhibit I loved most was "Henry VIII, Dressed to Kill". But it was in the Tower of London, not the British Museum.

I have no doubt the Duke and Duchess had a wonderful time. This is one of the most intelligently designed museums I've ever visited.

Unread 06-24-2021, 11:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
I swore I would go back and live for a week in the British Museum.

The exhibit I loved most was "Henry VIII, Dressed to Kill". But it was in the Tower of London, not the British Museum.

I have no doubt the Duke and Duchess had a wonderful time. This is one of the most intelligently designed museums I've ever visited.

I wonder if you could see it all even with a full week! Lol I remember both there and at Victoria and Albert having to strategically pick sections I “most” wanted to see.

That sounds like a fabulous exhibit.

I was such a history nerd when I visited London. Lol I was even excited studying- and I do mean studying- the stained glass at St George’s in Windsor. Lol I loved that cathedral.

So- I’m sure they had a great time. It must be fabulous to live in a city with such truly extraordinary collections. Not up mention all the access they must have to behind the scenes extras, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I too would love to see them. I was supposed to visit the UK last year but covid and then I was supposed to be there now but again covid so next year will my third attempt but there is no guarantee that Australia's external borders will be open in time.

Oh….that‘s too bad. COVID has messed up a lot of our travel plans. I hope your 3rd try is the charm!!
Unread 06-25-2021, 06:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

"The Duchess of Gloucester, as Honorary President, presents @the_LTA Lifetime Achievement Award to Pat Sharp as part of their annual LTA Awards."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1408362338344919045

https://twitter.com/i/status/1408326594398240768
Unread 06-25-2021, 06:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I wonder if you could see it all even with a full week! Lol I remember both there and at Victoria and Albert having to strategically pick sections I “most” wanted to see.

That sounds like a fabulous exhibit.

I was such a history nerd when I visited London. Lol I was even excited studying- and I do mean studying- the stained glass at St George’s in Windsor. Lol I loved that cathedral.

So- I’m sure they had a great time. It must be fabulous to live in a city with such truly extraordinary collections. Not up mention all the access they must have to behind the scenes extras, etc.
Oh, I'd be an illegal visitor living in the museum, so when I'm unable to see everything, I'll just extend my stay since no one will know I'm there anyway.

I was a history nerd as well. I remember my cousin announcing that she was never going anywhere with me again after our visit to the Tower of London. Starting the next day. She hated anything to do with history. Well, the next day we visited the Westminster Abbey and I had a good laugh. She was fascinated, tugging me along like a puppy on a leash. Quite the reversal of the roles...

I wonder if they can really appreciate living in such a city. Perhaps the Duchess did one time, in her first days there. I'm not sure about the Duke. To him, it would only be natural. When I see my own Sofia through foreigners' eyes, I am reminded that it has a rich and ancient history. I remember an American friend mesmerized by a 4th century church. To me, it's just the environment, most of the time. Unless I make a point to visit.
Unread 06-25-2021, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moran View Post
Oh, I'd be an illegal visitor living in the museum, so when I'm unable to see everything, I'll just extend my stay since no one will know I'm there anyway.

I was a history nerd as well. I remember my cousin announcing that she was never going anywhere with me again after our visit to the Tower of London. Starting the next day. She hated anything to do with history. Well, the next day we visited the Westminster Abbey and I had a good laugh. She was fascinated, tugging me along like a puppy on a leash. Quite the reversal of the roles...

I wonder if they can really appreciate living in such a city. Perhaps the Duchess did one time, in her first days there. I'm not sure about the Duke. To him, it would only be natural. When I see my own Sofia through foreigners' eyes, I am reminded that it has a rich and ancient history. I remember an American friend mesmerized by a 4th century church. To me, it's just the environment, most of the time. Unless I make a point to visit.

True. I think locals tend to take for granted what’s in their area. I live in a big city….but it’s not London. It’s definitely not a prime tourist destination either. I really can’t think of a city comparable to London. There is just so much right there between museums and historic sites alone.

Lol Westminster is definitely extraordinary. I thoroughly enjoyed the Tower too. (I took more than a couple of looks at the Crown Jewels. They were amazing to see in person.)
Unread 07-08-2021, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Gloucester attend at the annual Friends Festival of St Paul's Cathedral last night

"Yesterday we were delighted to hold our annual Friends Festival attended by HRH The Duchess of Gloucester. HRH met with clergy, staff and choristers to hear about their experiences of the pandemic, and has been Patron of the Friends since 2003"

https://twitter.com/StPaulsLondon/st...187137/photo/2
Unread 07-16-2021, 06:21 AM
Administrator

Yesterday, July 15, the Duke of Gloucester as Royal Colonel of the 6th Battalion The Rifles visited the Infantry Training Centre in Catterick to mark its 25th anniversary:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Unread 08-05-2021, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Today, August 5, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester attended the Founder’s Day Parade. The Duke of Gloucester was the Reviewing Officer:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** gettyimages gallery **
Unread 09-04-2021, 04:38 AM
Administrator

On September 3 the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester attended the Miners Memorial dedication at the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire:

Unread 09-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Duchess of Gloucester unveiling the new memorial stone for those serving and who have served in the AD CORPS and RADC today.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-xJRzNX...jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-xJRzOX...jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-xJRzSX...jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E-xJR0CX...jpg&name=large
Unread 09-08-2021, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

She seems nice and a hard worker.
Unread 09-09-2021, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

They really are a hardworking couple and I admire the manner in which they do that they just get on ..... I have always admired them
Unread 09-11-2021, 12:22 AM
Administrator

The Duke of Gloucester as Vice Royal Patron of the Almshouse Association visited St Mary Magdalen House, Simons Lane, Colchester, on September 9 to celebrate St Mary Magdalen Hospital Almshouse charity’s 900th anniversary:

** Gazette-News: Duke of Gloucester opens nine almshouses in Colchester **
Unread 09-14-2021, 02:05 PM
Administrator

The Duke of Gloucester opened the Hold, Suffolk Archive Centre in Ipswich today, September 14:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** ipswichstar article : Duke of Gloucester sees 'significance of past' as he opens The Hold **

He visited the University of Suffolk and viewed an exhibition curated by the University's architecture students:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

And he opened the Sutton Hoo viewing tower:

Unread Today, 02:38 PM
Administrator

The Duke of Gloucester visited Patchings Art Centre (1&2) and Bromley House Library (article) in Nottinghamshire today, September 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** westbridgfordwire article: HRH The Duke of Gloucester marks the bicentenary of Nottingham’s oldest surviving library **
Unread Today, 05:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

"Yesterday, Princess Alexandra attended a reception at @RBHCharity in London.

Her Royal Highness spoke to hospital employees and viewed an art installation designed by staff, inspired by their experiences of working in intensive care throughout the pandemic."

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalFami...730057/photo/1

Tags
duchess of gloucester, duke of gloucester, prince richard, prince william, prince william of gloucester