The British Royal Family: Race & Racism

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we see copycats and I suspect that there will be after the envelope filled with powder then BP and KP staff will then be dealing with a potentially hazardous situation. :sad:

Rare footage of King George VI, accompanied by his wife and two daughters, opening the Parliament of the Union of South Africa in Cape Town in 1947.

In hindsight, it was rather embarrassing for the King to open a parliament where, under the South Africa 1909, passed by the UK Parliament, only people of white European descent could sit. In fact, as one might see, there are no non-white persons to be seen in the clip above.

To be fair, denying voting rights and parliamentary representation to the native population was by no means exclusive to South Africa within the so-called "white dominions". Australian Aborigines and reserve (American English "reservation") Indians in Canada were also long disenfranchised until finally securing political rights as citizens of their respective dominions. The main practical difference was that, while the native population was comparatively small in Australia and Canada, in South Africa, even in the early days of the Union, the white population was already only 20 % of the total national population (and is now barely 8 %), making the disenfranchisement of the natives completely unsustainable.

More footage of the royal tour of South Africa below including, in the second reel, a visit to Cecil Rhodes' grave in southern Rhodesia (another faux-pas by today's standards) and a somewhat racist depiction of the native African population by the newscaster, while praising Cape Town as a symbol of the "fruition of 300 years of white settlement".

Last edited:
The discussion about Meghan and Harry's relationship and how she will fit in with the BRF, has been moved to the Engagement thread.

Last edited:
There's nothing embarrassing about these images and footage at all. As somebody who loves history I Champion the practice of putting things into historical context; I don't hold people who lived a century ago to modern standards.

Not like one has to look very hard when it is on display daily. Again I am not claiming every issue that some have with Meghan is racial. That is ridiculous. I just don't get some of this need to downplay that a good portion is and frankly it is head scratching. Official police calling an incident a racist hate crime and we have people bending over backwards to say "I don't think it really was..." That doesn't help anymore than some seeing racism in all critiques. I think in that we can at least agree.

You really don't have to look hard at all for bias and racism. Newspapers like the Daily Mail are hardly hiding it and write dogwhistle headlines that draw out the racist comments in their comment section.

Its one thing to criticize Meghan for wearing dark colors or wearing an expensive dress, but when they criticize Meghan for being huggy wuggy and yet praise other royals for doing the same thing that is an example of bias. When one headline praises William for high fives yet the next day Meghan giving a high five shows how she breaks protocol that is bias.

Racism is not always implicit or in your face. Newspapers like The Daily Mail are trying to set the narrative that Meghan is inappropriate when she has done nothing wrong. Sometimes they deliberately mislead to create a narrative that speaks to their racist base. A headline LIE such as Meghan being raised Catholic is all it takes to solidify their narrative that Meghan breaks protocol, she is wrong, she is OTHER, she is not to be trusted.

Sources like the mail are not simply criticizing they are narrative building and all of her actions be it benign like smiling to hard or speaking at a forum will be categorized as wrong no matter what. The level of hate for someone so benign is staggering.

You really don't have to look hard at all for bias and racism. Newspapers like the Daily Mail are hardly hiding it and write dogwhistle headlines that draw out the racist comments in their comment section.

Its one thing to criticize Meghan for wearing dark colors or wearing an expensive dress, but when they criticize Meghan for being huggy wuggy and yet praise other royals for doing the same thing that is an example of bias. When one headline praises William for high fives yet the next day Meghan giving a high five shows how she breaks protocol that is bias.

Racism is not always implicit or in your face. Newspapers like The Daily Mail are trying to set the narrative that Meghan is inappropriate when she has done nothing wrong. Sometimes they deliberately mislead to create a narrative that speaks to their racist base. A headline LIE such as Meghan being raised Catholic is all it takes to solidify their narrative that Meghan breaks protocol, she is wrong, she is OTHER, she is not to be trusted.

Sources like the mail are not simply criticizing they are narrative building and all of her actions be it benign like smiling to hard or speaking at a forum will be categorized as wrong no matter what. The level of hate for someone so benign is staggering.

There is undoubtably racism involved in some of the "criticism" of Meghan. But even if both her parents were of Northern European ancestry but she were still American, divorced, an actress, etc there would still be bias against her. And even without those factors, the gutter press would find something to spin negatively.

What does the inaccurate story that was making the rounds before the engagement that Meghan was Catholic (because she had attended a Catholic school) have to do with racism?

I agree O-H... hypocrisy and bias doesn't necessarily have to be about racism. The Daily Mail criticizing Meghan for hugging has nothing to do with her being biracial.

There's nothing embarrassing about these images and footage at all. As somebody who loves history I Champion the practice of putting things into historical context; I don't hold people who lived a century ago to modern standards.

Very true, all too often people try to impose modern thinking and social constructs on events of the past without trying to understand history.

Racism is not always implicit or in your face. Newspapers like The Daily Mail are trying to set the narrative that Meghan is inappropriate when she has done nothing wrong. Sometimes they deliberately mislead to create a narrative that speaks to their racist base.

I don't disagree that there have been a lot of veiled (and some pretty blatant) racism tossed Meghan's way via these papers especially the Daily Mail. That said, I don't think all their jabs at her has been racially motivated. I just think she is the new girl they pick on because she is everything they are afraid of and want to tear her down. Her racial background is a piece of it but it is not the whole pie.

There is undoubtably racism involved in some of the "criticism" of Meghan. But even if both her parents were of Northern European ancestry but she were still American, divorced, an actress, etc there would still be bias against her. And even without those factors, the gutter press would find something to spin negatively.

Agreed. Meghan was going to be picked apart regardless by the press. And it is not all press who have attacked her racial. Though some have. Most just doing the typical stuff they do with all the royals and their significant others.

What does the inaccurate story that was making the rounds before the engagement that Meghan was Catholic (because she had attended a Catholic school) have to do with racism?

Again they are creating a false narrative to suit their racist base. It is not just calling MM a derogative term but creating a narrative based on false information. That leads to comments calling for Harry do drown Meghan...YES that was an actual comment left.

What has Meghan done to warrant death threats? or the intense level of hatred she gets on a daily basis. And why does the Daily Fail create false headlines misrepresenting her actions. It is blatantly Biased and racist.

I agree O-H... hypocrisy and bias doesn't necessarily have to be about racism. The Daily Mail criticizing Meghan for hugging has nothing to do with her being biracial.

When Meghan is criticized yet another royal does the same exact thing it is racist.

When Meghan is criticized yet another royal does the same exact thing it is racist.

Then what was it when Kate was criticized for doing something HM or Anne or Sophie did?

As I said earlier, even if Meghan's ancestry had been entirely say French and Swedish, she would be criticized the same way--first just because she "dared to manipulate Harry into falling in love with her" no matter what other baggage she had--and in her case, she is American, a divorcee and was an actress.

I read Richard Palmer of Daily Express version of events since he is a royal reporter. I want to know why he thought it necessary to drop this 'charming' anecdote:

"A senior royal source has told how Prince Philip has taken to referring to Meghan as "the Dow". It stands for Duchess of Windsor, the former Wallis Simpson, whose affair with Edward VIII nearly destroyed the Royal Family."

Taseer's article was about race and royalty and he makes mention of Meghan but I can't help but think why would he mention that. Is it to expose the latent racism that Taseer said exists within the BRF or is it to show that Meghan is not welcome?

I have my thoughts but I don't know if anyone else had read the Express.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...-ex-boyfriend-kensington-palace-aatish-taseer

Last edited:
In my experience sensible people who want a degree of truth in what they're reading don't read the Express.

Oh I don't read the Daily Express. This was doing the rounds on Twitter within a certain fandom.

My thoughts are this: if the remarks are true, i am not surprised because Philip certainly has form on making such statements. This is certainly a slight on Meghan being American rather than biracial.

Last edited by a moderator:
The vast majority of this criticism that Meghan's been getting has also been aimed at Kate, though. This is what I just don't understand, every criticism of Meghan according to some in this thread is racially based. The simple facts belie that myth.

Up to and after Kate married William there were rumours that members of the RF didn't approve of her or didn't feel she was the right 'sort' to be marrying William. This nonsense is not new or exclusive to Meghan at all.

This desperation to see racism in everything Meghan related only serves to dilute the seriousness of this issue in the public's view. The old tale about crying wolf comes to mind.

Even if Philip does refer to Meghan as the Duchess of Windsor, that’s not racist, but a comment on her being a divorced American.

This may be seen as a little bit left field, but for people making a fuss at Meghan Being bi racial just as a reminder, last year The Queen appointed Ghanaian born Major Nana Kofi Twumasi-Ankrah; an officer of the Household Cavalry, as her equerry. The first black man to hold this position.
Queen picks new equerry as Philip's retirement looms* | Daily Mail Online
For those who pay attention, he can be seen walking to church with the royal family on Xmas day at Sandringham, and on Easter Sunday when the family went to church at Windsor. We will see him riding next to The Queen's carriage later this year at Trooping the Colour

Last edited:
I remember seeing him in the Christmas morning photos and wondering who he was. He's really a right proper gentleman and very distinguished looking.

ZERO corroborative 'evidence' for this cheap, snide dig at both the DoE and Ms Markle..no 'named source.. NOTHING.

I think it is literally unbelievable...

Oh I don't read the Daily Express. This was doing the rounds on Twitter within a certain fandom.

My thoughts are this: if the remarks are true, i am not surprised because Philip certainly has form on making such statements. This is certainly a slight on Meghan being American rather than biracial.

Even if Prince Philip did call Meghan "the DoW", what would that have to do with racism ?

From what I see, Meghan has been fully embraced by members of the family that counts. Anyone who have a problem with her, I’m sure they would have to deal with Harry. I wouldn’t cross him in the wrong way. Also, Meghan isn’t the one who would take crap from anybody. She speaks her mind.

I have to be honest here. When I first read that Philip referred to Meghan as "The Dow", I thought perhaps it was a Philipism perhaps even used in a quipping manner to tease Meghan. We all know Philip and his gaffes. We don't know in what context it was used or even if it was used at all.

I just can't imagine Philip being deliberately rude about his grandson's fiancee. With Philip, you never know when he's going open mouth, insert foot. This trait has actually endeared him to people over the years.

I'm going to take this report and file it where it belongs. Tabloid fodder.

The Queen doesn’t strike me as the kind of person who approves of rewriting history.

History is history.

I guess none of you read what I said. I said that the remark is related to her being an American rather than biracial.

PetticoatLane I am not trying to find the racism in everything. Meghan was sent a racist letter, can anyone in the BRF relate to that? No they can't. There are people who dislike her solely for being biracial and no matter what she does, she will be criticised for it.

Meghan's very existence upsets the Establishment and they will find ways of getting at her. We seen already in the right wing tabloids saying she should invite her family (Markle and not Raglands) to the wedding, you know the very same family that have not kept their mouths closed since the relationship was outed and said a number of half and untruths.

Anyways, as I said in previous post. I can see Phillip saying something like that because he thinks it is hilarious. I doubt HM, Harry or Meghan would think it funny. I certainly do not find it funny and find it dehumanizing as Meghan and Wallis are nothing alike.

Meghan and Wallis are nothing alike.

Sorry but they ARE, if the frame of reference is narrow enough [Nationality and Marital History].

Last edited:
Nothing ever published in a tabloid is gospel as to what a person has said, thought or done unless they can be verified elsewhere. The prime example here is Philip supposedly stating something. The statement goes no deeper than Richard Palmer himself and I don't trust anything that comes out of a tabloid reporter's mouth. I don't see Palmer citing credible sources of where he got that tidbit of information. From everything I've read lately, Philip is incommunicado and recuperating from his hip surgery. Even from what I know of that Vanity Fair article with racist undertones and a whole lot of sex, drugs and rock and roll, it was geared as gossip reporting to draw in readership.

I agree with those who point out that everyone is racist. We also judge people on their looks, regardless of race. If we are aware of it, we can adjust our behavior accordingly.

I don't think that every criticism of Meghan is racist, but we have to be aware that it may be a component. Regardless, it appears that the royal family has embraced her, which is the most important aspect.

Phillip and Harry are reported to be very close, certainly when we have seen moments here and there they do appear to 'get on well'. There is no way the DoE is going to run around taking shots at Harry's soon to be wife. He's even said the DoE and Queen knew about Meghan early on, were the first ones to know...so yeah I don't believe it for a minute the Duke is going around calling Meghan, DOW.

LaRae

I guess Palmer forgot the story how Meghan won over Phillip by talking to him about his Greek family.

These critics are hoping Meghan will back out at the last minute so they can say I told you so. As for other members that allegedly don't like Meghan, they will have to deal with it. The queen's opinion is what counts here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom