The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I also noticed another reporter issued an apology for an earlier story. Now they sorry? Oh please.

Journalist Apologizes To Prince Harry In Documentary After Calling Meghan Markle 'Exotic'

Old 05-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Serene Highness

Putting this here since it isn't exactly only about the wedding and the BRF and race thread is closed...

Sky News Segment:Sky News Special Report: Harry, Meghan and race

Washington Post hasn't really done a huge amount about the wedding yet, but had this article on its front page yesterday:

What Meghan Markle means to black Brits

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8f22a71eea21
Quote:
Jean Carter had never bothered to come out for a royal appearance before. But when Prince Harry and his fiancee, Meghan Markle, made a visit to Brixton this year, Carter bought a bouquet and weathered a chilly afternoon waiting for a glimpse of the couple.

Not to be outdone, the NYT (which seems more interested in the wedding) had a similar piece:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/12/w...ding-race.html

Quote:
If Tshego is royal-crazy this summer, it is because Ms. Markle is biracial, the daughter of an African-American woman and a white man. When she looks at Ms. Markle, Tshego sees a version of herself, new to England, trying to find a place among its racial codes.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Majesty

“Paul Reid, director of the Black Cultural Archives, located on Brixton’s Windrush Square, said that the jury is still out on Markle. She’ll be judged by her actions.

“Does she help bring about change?” Reid said. “We’re not silly anymore. There was a time when we would have rolled out the red carpet. ‘Isn’t it amazing! Can I get a selfie?’ ”

That’s the comment that stood out for me in the WP article. After the wedding and all the hype has died down we’ll see just how much a champion Meghan will be for blacks in Britain.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
how much a champion Meghan will be for blacks in Britain.
That is NOT 'her remit'.. her position is hers because she married Prince Harry NOT because she was employed in some sort of 'equalities role'.
To 'set her up' in this fashion is to guarantee failure. Being a member of a Royal family precludes many things, and principal amongst them is controversy of ANY sort. Like it on not ethnicity and equality remains so, in the UK [altho' NOWHERE near as much as in the Lady's country of origin]..
Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
That is NOT 'her remit'.. her position is hers because she married Prince Harry NOT because she was employed in some sort of 'equalities role'.
To 'set her up' in this fashion is to guarantee failure. Being a member of a Royal family precludes many things, and principal amongst them is controversy of ANY sort. Like it on not ethnicity and quality remains so, in the UK [altho' nowhere near as much as in the Lady's country of origin]..
I agree. Meghan must be a duchess for all Britons, not just the 7 percent who are black.

The American press really is pushing the biracial princess story which isn’t doing Meghan any good imo.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I agree. Meghan must be a duchess for all Britons, not just the 7 percent who are black.

The American press really is pushing the biracial princess story which isn’t doing Meghan any good imo.
Umm, Meghan is bi-racial and is not a typical royal bride, so the stories are not that odd.

Since the BRF is supposed to be apolitical, I don't understand why anyone expects her to champion black causes?
Old 05-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Umm, Meghan is bi-racial and is not a typical royal bride, so the stories are not that odd.

Since the BRF is supposed to be apolitical, I don't understand why anyone expects her to champion black causes?
Exactly...and I don't think that she will. I think that she will champion causes that affects individuals across the board.

If people expect Meghan to suddenly become the Mother Theresa for black causes in the U.K., I'm afraid that she will fairly disappoint them.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Majesty

The American press is trying to superimpose the black experience in America on blacks in Britain.

Two entirely different narratives with entirely different histories. There is a segment of the press that expects Meghan to be a biracial duchess rather than a duchess for everyone.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The American press is trying to superimpose the black experience in America on blacks in Britain.

Two entirely different narratives with entirely different histories. There is a segment of the press that expects Meghan to be a biracial duchess rather than a duchess for everyone.
Bold by me. And there you have it--a segment. I don't think that is the overall narrative, I really have not seen much in most of the coverage here to support that idea.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:52 PM
Courtier

Actually, I don't see the U.S. press imposing AA experience with Blacks in Britain. I see it the other way around. Some in the U.K. press are harping on this.

What I see American news outlets harping about is that she is biracial, and that they are in awe that this is now acceptable that someone like Meghan (biracial, divorced, American and actress) is accepted into the BRF.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:39 AM
Courtier

Guessing this is the correct place to put this OpEd from CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/opini...-opinion-intl/
Old 05-23-2018, 11:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
Guessing this is the correct place to put this OpEd from CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/21/opini...-opinion-intl/
“The royal wedding is over. Now we can admit it was never a vehicle for meaningful racial progress”

CNN not trying sugarcoat it.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
“The royal wedding is over. Now we can admit it was never a vehicle for meaningful racial progress”

CNN not trying sugarcoat it.
"And it is absurd to think that one black woman could transform an institution so rooted in colonialism and Whiteness."

Yeah, she's not there to transform anything, she's going to try to blend in as much as possible, we're already seeing it with her appearance at the garden party yesterday.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I think this belongs in the race thread and not media?
Old 05-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

That's going to infuriate quite a lot of Britons!

Who said Meghan should ever be a champion for black rights? She will only disappoint, because Meghan represents all Britons. She simply cannot favor certain segments of the population.
She has to represent all Britons or none. Anything else is political dynamite and a big no-go.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I haven't bothered to read the article, but it's not Meghan's role to transform anything, or being a champion of black rights. Her most important work as a member of the BRF is to support the Queen in her apolitical role as head of state and head of nation in the UK, head of state in 15 other countries and as head of the Commonwealth.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Lets face it. The word "apolitical" is not something any news reporter or mainstream news channel in the US has ever heard of let alone understand its meaning. In order for that to happen, they'd have to return to impartial news reporting without agendas and personal biases.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
That's going to infuriate quite a lot of Britons!

Who said Meghan should ever be a champion for black rights? She will only disappoint, because Meghan represents all Britons. She simply cannot favor certain segments of the population.
She has to represent all Britons or none. Anything else is political dynamite and a big no-go.
And that includes the roughly half of Britons who are male. Royals have to be very careful to tiptoe around the tough issues for just that reason, you don't want to be alienating any part of your constituency.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:18 PM
Courtier

She will represent all, but she may choose to focus on a few causes. I think she'll take her time to find the causes she is most passionate about. The media is trying to generate more content around the royal wedding while there is still public interest.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:58 AM
Royal Highness

Meghan is getting racist comments and threats on Kensington Palace Instagram site
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Instagram.html

I trust the security teams and the police are on the job tracking the real dangerous ones.

Closed Thread