The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTchic View Post
Oh I don't read the Daily Express. This was doing the rounds on Twitter within a certain fandom.

My thoughts are this: if the remarks are true, i am not surprised because Philip certainly has form on making such statements. This is certainly a slight on Meghan being American rather than biracial.
Even if Prince Philip did call Meghan "the DoW", what would that have to do with racism ?

Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

From what I see, Meghan has been fully embraced by members of the family that counts. Anyone who have a problem with her, I’m sure they would have to deal with Harry. I wouldn’t cross him in the wrong way. Also, Meghan isn’t the one who would take crap from anybody. She speaks her mind.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to be honest here. When I first read that Philip referred to Meghan as "The Dow", I thought perhaps it was a Philipism perhaps even used in a quipping manner to tease Meghan. We all know Philip and his gaffes. We don't know in what context it was used or even if it was used at all.

I just can't imagine Philip being deliberately rude about his grandson's fiancee. With Philip, you never know when he's going open mouth, insert foot. This trait has actually endeared him to people over the years.

I'm going to take this report and file it where it belongs. Tabloid fodder.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 04-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Majesty

The Queen doesn’t strike me as the kind of person who approves of rewriting history.

History is history.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:50 AM
Aristocracy

I guess none of you read what I said. I said that the remark is related to her being an American rather than biracial.

PetticoatLane I am not trying to find the racism in everything. Meghan was sent a racist letter, can anyone in the BRF relate to that? No they can't. There are people who dislike her solely for being biracial and no matter what she does, she will be criticised for it.

Meghan's very existence upsets the Establishment and they will find ways of getting at her. We seen already in the right wing tabloids saying she should invite her family (Markle and not Raglands) to the wedding, you know the very same family that have not kept their mouths closed since the relationship was outed and said a number of half and untruths.

Anyways, as I said in previous post. I can see Phillip saying something like that because he thinks it is hilarious. I doubt HM, Harry or Meghan would think it funny. I certainly do not find it funny and find it dehumanizing as Meghan and Wallis are nothing alike.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Meghan and Wallis are nothing alike.
Sorry but they ARE, if the frame of reference is narrow enough [Nationality and Marital History].
Old 04-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Nothing ever published in a tabloid is gospel as to what a person has said, thought or done unless they can be verified elsewhere. The prime example here is Philip supposedly stating something. The statement goes no deeper than Richard Palmer himself and I don't trust anything that comes out of a tabloid reporter's mouth. I don't see Palmer citing credible sources of where he got that tidbit of information. From everything I've read lately, Philip is incommunicado and recuperating from his hip surgery. Even from what I know of that Vanity Fair article with racist undertones and a whole lot of sex, drugs and rock and roll, it was geared as gossip reporting to draw in readership.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Serene Highness

I agree with those who point out that everyone is racist. We also judge people on their looks, regardless of race. If we are aware of it, we can adjust our behavior accordingly.

I don't think that every criticism of Meghan is racist, but we have to be aware that it may be a component. Regardless, it appears that the royal family has embraced her, which is the most important aspect.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:45 AM
Imperial Majesty

Phillip and Harry are reported to be very close, certainly when we have seen moments here and there they do appear to 'get on well'. There is no way the DoE is going to run around taking shots at Harry's soon to be wife. He's even said the DoE and Queen knew about Meghan early on, were the first ones to know...so yeah I don't believe it for a minute the Duke is going around calling Meghan, DOW.

LaRae
Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Royal Highness

I guess Palmer forgot the story how Meghan won over Phillip by talking to him about his Greek family.

These critics are hoping Meghan will back out at the last minute so they can say I told you so. As for other members that allegedly don't like Meghan, they will have to deal with it. The queen's opinion is what counts here.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Courtier

Again, Meghan is not unique in the BRF in being compared to Wallis.

Camilla is continually compared to her with the point being constantly made that Charles was able to do what his great uncle was not. In the debate over whether Camila should be referred to as Queen we are battered over the head with the fact that Wallis could not only not be Queen but that Edward VIII had to abdicate to marry her.

Quote:
merican rather than biracial.

PetticoatLane I am not trying to find the racism in everything. Why did you bring up Kate? This discussion had nothing to do with her apart from Palmer obvious partiality to her in his reporting and tweets. Meghan was sent a racist letter, can anyone in the BRF relate to that? No they can't. There are people who dislike her solely for being biracial and no matter what she does, she will be criticised for it. Btw, Palmer's ranting about the dress was about the cost and not the style.
You really don't see the relevance in saying that the criticism which Meghan has received, which many here see as racist criticism, was and is also made against white 'English rose' Kate? If the same criticism is made of a mixed race individual and a white individual then how can racism be at its root?

There's more than enough racism in this world without people inventing it when it's not here.

Camilla has been physically attacked in a car park, Charles and Camilla were violently attacked in their car, the Queen, DoE and Charles have all been the subjects of numerous assassination attempts. I think they probably have some idea of how upsetting it might be to Meghan to receive a nasty letter.

Finally, Kate has received enormous amounts of criticism for the price of her wardrobe. Google it and any number of articles will come up on this topic. Another criticism not exclusive to Meghan.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
You really don't see the relevance in saying that the criticism which Meghan has received, which many here see as racist criticism, was and is also made against white 'English rose' Kate? If the same criticism is made of a mixed race individual and a white individual then how can racism be at its root?

There's more than enough racism in this world without people inventing it when it's not here.

Camilla has been physically attacked in a car park, Charles and Camilla were violently attacked in their car, the Queen, DoE and Charles have all been the subjects of numerous assassination attempts. I think they probably have some idea of how upsetting it might be to Meghan to receive a nasty letter.

Finally, Kate has received enormous amounts of criticism for the price of her wardrobe. Google it and any number of articles will come up on this topic. Another criticism not exclusive to Meghan.
Just because something happens to someone for a different reason, doesn't mean it can't happen to Meghan because of her race. Camilla has had her fair share of nastiness thanks to her role in the breakdown of the "fairytale" marriage. Last I checked, Meghan wasn't the third party in any "fairytale" relationship. To dismiss what happened to just a nasty letter is quite telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Both can accurately be described as American divorcées (with no children involved). So, their marital status is the same: divorced instead of single/never married (that's why Meghan is referred to as 'ms' instead of 'miss'..

Of course, the divorced status is not uncommon in the BRF but to argue that they don't have it in common is to ignore the facts.
If we are at the point of reducing people to the simple fact that they are American and divocees, then that's quite sad. Those things aren't who Meghan is as a person.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
If we are at the point of reducing people to the simple fact that they are American and divocees, then that's quite sad. Those things aren't who Meghan is as a person.
If we're doing this, then I resemble that remark. Last I checked, I'm not Meghan though.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:32 PM
Majesty

Folks if we’re going say that Meghan is so perfect that any criticism of her must be rooted in racism won’t help her in her new role.

Let’s keep some perspective here.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Folks if we’re going say that Meghan is so perfect that any criticism of her must be rooted in racism won’t help her in her new role.

Let’s keep some perspective here.
No one is saying all criticism stems from racism. However, she has received a lot of unfair criticism because of her race. I'm not so sure why that is so hard for some to admit race continues to be a big problem.

Hell, I saw people defending why the white powder incident isn't racism even when it was confirmed that Scotland Yard is treating it as a hate crime.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Aristocracy

We are not saying she is perfect, we are saying she is getting unfairly criticised for literally existing. The way she walks, the way she curtsies,her dress sense, her hair, the PDA, her smile, her bags, her speech, her breath and I can go on. Anything she does is a break of protocol. Why is that? Because she is a biracial woman who fell in love with a prince and folk can't deal with it.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that several posts (and therefore subsequent responses) have been deleted or edited - let's not bring politics into an already sensitive subject.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
We are not saying she is perfect, we are saying she is getting unfairly criticised for literally existing. The way she walks, the way she curtsies,her dress sense, her hair, the PDA, her smile, her bags, her speech, her breath and I can go on. Anything she does is a break of protocol. Why is that? Because she is a biracial woman who fell in love with a prince and folk can't deal with it.
Have you ever visited the threads about Queen Letizia?
The criticism Meghan is getting is nothing in comparison!

Kate, Mary, Mette-Marit, Madeleine and Sofia just to mention a few other royals have gotten similar heat.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
her dress sense, her hair, the PDA, her smile, her bags
It is ludicrous to claim that those who find her choices [in that regard] are 'less than perfect' do so because of her ethnicity ! I [for one] do so because I don't like them as either a habit or aesthetically, and for NO other reason..
Old 04-29-2018, 01:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I fully agree that Meghan is much more than that but claiming that she doesn't have that in common with the duchess of Windsor just because you don't like that comparison is untruthful and even more onesided imo.

Quote:
You again bring back all criticism to her being biracial. While part of the treatment she receives clearly is racially motivated, a large part isn't (which is proven by the fact that all (future) royals get criticized on these aspects). Is it more intense because she is biracial, probably, but for many criticasters other factors could be more important such as being an actress (not considered an appropriate job for a future royal), or because she is American (Harry should have picked a British bride), or because she is divorced (no previous relationships is ideal) or because she is self-confident (she needs to know her place) or because of her siblings (she comes from such a bad family, can't be any good)... Or a combination of the above (and know, I don't share all these sentiments). Meghan is far more than any of these boxes and I assume she wouldn't want all criticism to be boxed into the 'racism' category either.

Closed Thread